PDA

View Full Version : Professionals?

Shay
3rd March 2009, 11:52 AM
Who on here is a professional photographer,
Someone who relies on their photos for income,
Theres some really good talent on here, hard to tell who is and isn't a pro (for me anyway).

On a side note what do you do with your pictures once taken.
Do your clients just buy the digitals or do you have to get them printed?
just wondering what is involved, as i would be interested in
1. getting some work printed
2. possibly getting some cash for my work.

PaulyJ
3rd March 2009, 01:01 PM
I've registered a business name, and am getting a website up and ready as we speak.
I wouldn't consider myself a professional, not even close.
Doing it on the side atm, while having a full time job. If in a few years time it gets to a stage where I can live solely off photography, only then will I give up my full time job.

Each client is different. The clients I have had, have all requested a copy of the photos in digital format. This allows them to use the photos as they wish. Websites, magazines, getting printed etc.

To answer your question "Do your clients just buy the digitals or do you have to get them printed?", its up to what the client wants. So far all mine have bought the digitals, and had them printed at their own cost. All I've done is prepared each photo to be ready for print.

If you're serious about getting into this, get your name out there.
Register a business name, and get an ABN.
That way you can claim printing as a business expense, and any equipment you buy, be it lenses, flashes etc, can all be claimed back :D

poita
3rd March 2009, 06:08 PM
add blake, aka insanegrunt to the list.
although he does flip burgers at HJ's for a crust also

Hoya
3rd March 2009, 06:13 PM
i used to be one, until every man and his dog brought DSLRs and got into the whole pro photography scene.
cbf now its to competitive

poita
3rd March 2009, 06:15 PM
i used to be one, until every man and his dog brought DSLRs and got into the whole pro photography scene.
cbf now its to competitive

username makes more sense now ;)

insanegrunt
3rd March 2009, 09:16 PM
Cheers Poita,

Yes i have a registered business name and and and all that jazz.
I have my business http://insanegrunt.com
but also sell photos to 3 Magazines :D
plus i work at HJ's too

simmy
4th March 2009, 12:26 PM
how do you manage to get the magazines interested in your pics? Do you send in some of your work for them to have a look at and then if they want any they buy?

PaulyJ
4th March 2009, 12:28 PM
Do what you can to get your foot in the door.
Then they'll send you out to do jobs.

Skribble
4th March 2009, 12:31 PM
Cheers Poita,

Yes i have a registered business name and and and all that jazz.
I have my business http://insanegrunt.com
but also sell photos to 3 Magazines :D
plus i work at HJ's too

What magazines do you sell to.

moose_factor
4th March 2009, 12:38 PM
Do what you can to get your foot in the door.
Then they'll send you out to do jobs.

True that...

I looked around for ages asking people that I knew were into the photo genre that I wanted and I got in contact with people...

Now I take photo's for FasterLouder.com as a contributer, they send me weekly emails on Concerts (Big and Small venue) and I email them back on which ones I am available to go to...

I've been to concerts like Wolfmother (they aren't called that anymore), almost went to Bliss 'n Eso (but I was Sick) and some others.

On a good week the website is invited to go to 5-10 concerts to take photo's. Guess that's an awesome foot in the Door...

PaulyJ
4th March 2009, 01:25 PM
Good work moose!
A lot of the time, its who you know.

moose_factor
4th March 2009, 01:31 PM
Thanks Paul :D

Just ask around although as Hoya stated it is competitive...

But get to know people, I have friends that are part of a band and they asked me to take photos at their gig and the other bands there asked for photo's too and word is starting to spread and we shall see where it goes...:cornut:

PaulyJ
4th March 2009, 02:02 PM
What lenses you using for low light?

moose_factor
4th March 2009, 02:19 PM
What lenses you using for low light?

I was gonna post Wolfmother shots and stuff but I can't as the FasterLouder website technically owns those now hahaha

I use a Canon 50mm f1.4 for most of my shots for a Band live to capture the atmopheric lighting without flash...I also use my Canon 28-135mm f3.5-5.6 when I need the reach and I need flash use

I currently just got hold of a Canon 24-70 F2.8L and will be selling my Canon 28-135mm soon...

Some examples of the 50mm f1.4 without a flash in lowlight

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3190/3287444030_10cf47257b_d.jpg

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3526/3286625745_4ede2ed0d0_d.jpg

And the 28-135 with a 430 EX II attached and a Demb Flip-It

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3214/3286628435_385c4ac40e_d.jpg

PaulyJ
4th March 2009, 03:02 PM
Nice
Got a 50mm 1.8, but have toyed with the idea of the 1.4, just don't know if there is much difference.
PM me how much you're thinking about the 28-135...

moose_factor
4th March 2009, 03:10 PM
Nice
Got a 50mm 1.8, but have toyed with the idea of the 1.4, just don't know if there is much difference.

Build wise the 1.4 shits all over the 1.8...photo wise I too had the 1.8 and the 1.4 is slightly sharper and at f2.0-2.2 the 1.4 gives better bokeh...

Here's a comparison review...
http://photo.net/equipment/canon/ef50/

The 28-135 when I sell it will come with the original hood and a filter (filter was put on as soon as the lens was taken out of the box...

PM sent...

Here's some shots from the 50mm 1.4 (note that no sharpening was added through Photoshop only colour layers)

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3643/3322002705_510395e954_o_d.jpg

And a sample of the 28-135mm (Same as above no sharpening done)

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3611/3321993553_43329e1ca2_o_d.jpg

PaulyJ
4th March 2009, 03:35 PM
Yeah there is a difference
Damn, if it wasn't for the wedding and now the car, i'd be spending a bit on some new lenses...

moose_factor
4th March 2009, 03:40 PM
Yeah there is a difference
Damn, if it wasn't for the wedding and now the car, i'd be spending a bit on some new lenses...

Yeah there is...and the 1.4 is soooooo worth it...

Yeah lenses is something I don't think I will never stop spending on, well maybe spend more at a later date as the Canon 24-70 f2.8L was a big purchase...but I haven't got it yet as I only put it on layby hahaha I get it next week or the week after...

moose_factor
5th March 2009, 10:29 AM
Hey Paul what gear do you have if you don't mind me asking...

PaulyJ
5th March 2009, 04:36 PM
Canon 400D
Standard twin lens kit
50 1.8
28-90mm 4-5.6
Sigma 12-24mm Ultra wide angle
Canon 430EXII flash

moose_factor
5th March 2009, 05:55 PM
Nice Paul...

DEE-80Y
5th March 2009, 07:39 PM
I have a mate who is a photographer (just starting in the industry) and works as Wayne's (dude who takes most of the zoo and ralph photos) assistant on Zoo photo shoots.
He also started his own website, but claims most of the work you get is mainly by word of mouth and getting out there and introducing yourself to everyone.
I say he is a photographer because his camera is worth $30k and this is his only form of income.
Here is his website if you're interested.

http://www.twoshinephoto.com

insanegrunt
6th March 2009, 12:05 AM
I contribute to Street Fords, Xtreme Fords and Nitro Magazines. The ford mags picked me up from fullBOOST.com.au as i also am a QLD contributor on there i do event coverage and feature car shoots for the ford magazines. Had a chat with nitro at the drags and they wanted to run some pics and i put my foot in a little more and now do event coverage and feature car shoots for nitro.

It is hard at my age, people dont take me seriousley. cause im 17 and stuff.
I have worked hard to get where i am, and im so happy it is finally paying off.

NO i dont have all the good gear that the big guys have and no my photos look nothing toward them but im jut so happy that the magazines have let me show my work off and get my name out there more and give me the chance to explore the automtoive photography world.

Shay
6th March 2009, 11:37 AM
I contribute to Street Fords, Xtreme Fords and Nitro Magazines. The ford mags picked me up from fullBOOST.com.au as i also am a QLD contributor on there i do event coverage and feature car shoots for the ford magazines. Had a chat with nitro at the drags and they wanted to run some pics and i put my foot in a little more and now do event coverage and feature car shoots for nitro.

It is hard at my age, people dont take me seriousley. cause im 17 and stuff.
I have worked hard to get where i am, and im so happy it is finally paying off.

NO i dont have all the good gear that the big guys have and no my photos look nothing toward them but im jut so happy that the magazines have let me show my work off and get my name out there more and give me the chance to explore the automtoive photography world.

i understand that.
its the same being an 18yo security guard, noone takes you seriously til ya just about break their wrist and kick em out of somewhere. haha

what resolution your camera take insane?
mine currently is 3456 x 2592 at 180 pixels/inch
not a SLR tho.
yet...

aza28
6th March 2009, 01:01 PM
Nice

Build wise the 1.4 shits all over the 1.8...photo wise I too had the 1.8 and the 1.4 is slightly sharper and at f2.0-2.2 the 1.4 gives better bokeh...

Here's a comparison review...
http://photo.net/equipment/canon/ef50/

The 28-135 when I sell it will come with the original hood and a filter (filter was put on as soon as the lens was taken out of the box...

PM sent...

and pauly, as you're probably already aware, the 1.4 will also let in double the light of the 1.8 and therefore twice as fast under low light conditions. which is always a nice thing to have. :) shallow depth of field is also an attraction with these lenses - great for portraiture. 1.8 would be just as good though. i personally wouldn't upgrade just for those reasons unless the 1.4 had other features over and above what your current 1.8 has. like nikons new 1.4 AF-S over its older 1.4 AF, which i want!

moose_factor
6th March 2009, 01:26 PM
and pauly, as you're probably already aware, the 1.4 will also let in double the light of the 1.8 and therefore twice as fast under low light conditions. which is always a nice thing to have. :) shallow depth of field is also an attraction with these lenses - great for portraiture. 1.8 would be just as good though. i personally wouldn't upgrade just for those reasons unless the 1.4 had other features over and above what your current 1.8 has. like nikons new 1.4 AF-S over its older 1.4 AF, which i want!

Completely agree aza...reason why I upgraded was that the 1.8 was just not built solidly enough to endure a concert...I needed the 1.4 for extra light for dark concert lighting and it's rugged enough to get in the crowds at concerts...

doigal
6th March 2009, 08:13 PM
as i'm sure everyone knows, good gear dosnt mean good photos!!!

and whats everyone talking about the 1.4 version for? the 1.2 is out!

insanegrunt
6th March 2009, 09:31 PM
i understand that.
its the same being an 18yo security guard, noone takes you seriously til ya just about break their wrist and kick em out of somewhere. haha

what resolution your camera take insane?
mine currently is 3456 x 2592 at 180 pixels/inch
not a SLR tho.
yet...

4288 x 2848

poita
6th March 2009, 09:35 PM
a D90 isnt nothing to be sneezed at though Blake ;)

moose_factor
6th March 2009, 11:10 PM
as i'm sure everyone knows, good gear dosnt mean good photos!!!

and whats everyone talking about the 1.4 version for? the 1.2 is out!

HAHAHA we know...but read the review between the 2 and for the price it's not worth getting the f1.2 even if you could afford it it's more for wank factor to own the f1.2

doigal
7th March 2009, 09:54 AM
HAHAHA we know...but read the review between the 2 and for the price it's not worth getting the f1.2 even if you could afford it it's more for wank factor to own the f1.2

but but but its an L lens!!! cant take bad photos with them! :p

insanegrunt
7th March 2009, 10:26 AM
a D90 isnt nothing to be sneezed at though Blake ;)

Yeah i know, Been told by roy that my photo are coming up a treat and i dont even have all the lighting equipment and fullframe sensors.
I belive it is about the glass you choose for your camera.
and how you use it. ;)