PDA

View Full Version : GM to flog 50-75% of Opel

pd-xc-72464118
2nd March 2009, 07:28 PM
http://www.dailytech.com/article.aspx?newsid=14442

http://www.cnn.com/2009/BUSINESS/02/27/gm.opel.germany/

On Monday, GM will formally present its plan to the German government. The split will mean that Opel will be tasked with managing its own expenses and making its own decisions. However, GM retains a major stake in Opel -- between 25 and 50 percent -- and the companies will likely work together closely. Describes Mr. Forster, "Opel remains an integral and important part of GM's global operations and will continue as such in the future."

USC
2nd March 2009, 10:50 PM
nice..hopefully we`ll see an Opel dealership open in australia...thats the only time I would go back to buying one.

Calibrated
2nd March 2009, 10:57 PM
was reading this yesterday. interesting times. thats for sure.

would be great to see Opel in Australia as their own entity. Isuzu has done it.

Jeenous
2nd March 2009, 11:03 PM
i could see it happening because i could see the two entitys working together to put up prices while telling the av idiot they are seperate..

MatsHolden
2nd March 2009, 11:25 PM
Isuzu has done it.

GM no longer has a stake in Isuzu though. Whereas GM will still have a major stake in Opel.

Hoya
2nd March 2009, 11:40 PM
best decision ever.
look at the airliner emirates, its owned by the government and its flawless!

hazrd
3rd March 2009, 12:49 AM
fingers crossed....

Opel GT here i come :p

Ice
3rd March 2009, 09:21 AM
haha GT would be nice !

Opel here would be great aswell. lets wait for it to happen though :)

Wraith
3rd March 2009, 09:48 AM
Yes intersting indeed, whatever ends up happening hopefully it's for the better, only time will tell.

Shay
3rd March 2009, 01:08 PM
yes they should so come over here,
would be expensive tho,
more-so than the holden equiv prob.
plus it would take a few models away from holden so the Aus Gov (and GM) prob wouldnt allow it.
although the way holden is bringing in Daewoos there wont be any opels left soon.

i would love a speedster/vx220 tho

rjastra
3rd March 2009, 01:54 PM
Fabbo... they could decide NOT to develop RHD vehicles to save money.... think about it.

Calibrated
3rd March 2009, 03:10 PM
Fabbo... they could decide NOT to develop RHD vehicles to save money.... think about it.
considering the volume of vehicles opel sells in southern africa. i doubt it. its one of their biggest markets outside of the EU. and considering vauxhall is RHD as well.

rjastra
3rd March 2009, 04:38 PM
considering the volume of vehicles opel sells in southern africa. i doubt it. its one of their biggest markets outside of the EU. and considering vauxhall is RHD as well.

depends on who keeps what i suppose.
Opel could easily decide to concentrate on Europe. Vauxhall could use the same daewoo sourced cars as us. Nothing is set in stone and neither are the ultimate outcomes.

rjastra
6th March 2009, 10:31 AM
End of Opel?

It's not looking good at all.

http://blogs.motortrend.com/6463841/auto-shows/gm-the-end-game-begins/index.html

Jerram
6th March 2009, 10:59 AM
But when you look at Vauxhall so much of what they sell is Opel cars produced under license or brought in from the mainland. I doubt very much that they'd switch to Asian imports, because the backlash on the market would be so severe.

Hoya
6th March 2009, 05:43 PM
But when you look at Vauxhall so much of what they sell is Opel cars produced under license or brought in from the mainland. I doubt very much that they'd switch to Asian imports, because the backlash on the market would be so severe.
vaux and opel should just become Opel.
that would already start saving them money.
one brand = one style of adverting + the same badges/styles of cars/and even cars
but in saying that it would still mean people lose their jobs as if its all one big company having less stuff to do with pretty much the whole manufacturing cycle