PDA

View Full Version : New Generation GOLF

USC
27th February 2009, 11:56 PM
With 7 speed DSG standard or 6 speed manual:eek:

GTi is not out yet, but all engines have been downsized but include turbo charger:eek:

Sounds like an excellent package:cornut:

rjastra
28th February 2009, 01:16 AM
Yes, some smart petrol engines in the new model. Get within 1L/100km of the diesel engines yet are cheaper and faster.

Vectracious
28th February 2009, 01:48 AM
I like the styling of Golf VI (the new grill specifically) which has been criticised a lot in the media.

7 speed DSG as the only other option from the base model up is pretty impressive as well.

Calibrated
28th February 2009, 11:05 AM
had a look at them on thursday. must say, its the 1st generation of golfs that i actually like.

but 40k for the TDi :eek: thats just not cricket. i dare say the GTi will be 50k + expected in about a year for release.

rjastra
28th February 2009, 11:23 AM
but 40k for the TDi :eek: thats just not cricket. i dare say the GTi will be 50k + expected in about a year for release.

Next is the Golf 118TSI, starting at $30,490, powered by a 118kW twincharged 1.4 litre. Pricing for the TDI begins at $33,190....

Where did you get $40K from?

Calibrated
28th February 2009, 12:02 PM
Where did you get $40K from?

that was the drive away price for the 2.0 TDi on the floor.

rjastra
28th February 2009, 12:19 PM
that was the drive away price for the 2.0 TDi on the floor.

but you didn't mention that ;) What was it equipped with? Sports pack? Leather? DSG? ACC?

The base price is not significantly different to the outgoing model and equivalent to other euro diesel competitors.
Based on that I can't see the GTI rising significantly in price when its released in Q4 2009.

xplosv57
28th February 2009, 12:23 PM
The current GT Diesel (which has the higher spec diesel engine than the TDi) is around the 40k mark......

USC
28th February 2009, 06:50 PM
An interesting point to note: VW claims that the 6 speed manual is as fast as the 7 speed DSG.

Wraith
1st March 2009, 07:43 PM
Like others, I too think alot of the mechanicals, the new 'dry clutch' 7 speed DSG will lead the way again just as the 6 speed DSG has in the past !!! one big difference is this automated manual can handle in excess of 550nm torque so you can tune away...:)

Externally I like it, but the front looks too much like a Scirocco... :skep:

Pricing, as always not the best for the Gti and I think the new MkVI will be well up there for sure...

imay
2nd March 2009, 12:05 PM
Externally I like it, but the front looks too much like a Scirocco.

. . . . orrrrrr, the Scirocco looks too much like the Golf! Either way, I am liking the looks (and mechanical package) of BOTH the Golf and Scirocco. Shame we are probably only going to be getting one of them over here!

Wraith
2nd March 2009, 12:50 PM
. . . . orrrrrr, the Scirocco looks too much like the Golf! Either way, I am liking the looks (and mechanical package) of BOTH the Golf and Scirocco. Shame we are probably only going to be getting one of them over here!

Yeh, Ian don't think we'll get the Scirocco here, read somewhere as VW Aust. reckon it'll canabalise Golf sales...I say so what as long as the commulative sales are still there who cares which models they comprise of :rollyeys1:

As you say, looks wise Golf and Scirocco do feed off each other, the Scirocco I think most would agree is the better overall, this new MkVI looking like a Scirocco front on is definitely a good thing, much prettier than the outgoing model :)

I look forward to seeing the MkVI Gti-R when it's finally ready :)

Calibrated
2nd March 2009, 01:07 PM
Yeh, Ian don't think we'll get the Scirocco here, read somewhere as VW Aust. reckon it'll canabalise Golf sales...I say so what as long as the commulative sales are still there who cares which models they comprise of :rollyeys1:

As you say, looks wise Golf and Scirocco do feed off each other, the Scirocco I think most would agree is the better overall, this new MkVI looking like a Scirocco front on is definitely a good thing, much prettier than the outgoing model :)

I look forward to seeing the MkVI Gti-R when it's finally ready :)
R20
http://photos.autoexpress.co.uk/images/front_picture_library_UK/dir_602/car_photo_301193_25.jpg
http://static.blogo.it/autoblog/volkswagen-golf-r20t/big_VolkswagenGolfR20T_01.jpg

Wraith
2nd March 2009, 02:25 PM
R20
http://photos.autoexpress.co.uk/images/front_picture_library_UK/dir_602/car_photo_301193_25.jpg
http://static.blogo.it/autoblog/volkswagen-golf-r20t/big_VolkswagenGolfR20T_01.jpg

WOW - is that what other reports allude to as the Gti-R Calibrated ??

Looks hornbags - I like that alot !!!

Same running gear as the new Audi S3 and similar also to the TTS, with less pretty body, but for alot less money, I would seriously consider one :)

gman
2nd March 2009, 03:01 PM
Looks really nice...Like the Sirrocco

sooty
2nd March 2009, 05:00 PM
Didn't the stig say 7 gears was too many in the lexus ISF, and it's going to be constantly changing when you don't want it to?:confused:

Neeko
2nd March 2009, 07:38 PM
man this thing is hot! love it

USC
2nd March 2009, 08:20 PM
I just wet my pants:o - damn this thing is hot!! Looks better than the new mazda 3 MPS.

Wraith
3rd March 2009, 09:54 AM
Didn't the stig say 7 gears was too many in the lexus ISF, and it's going to be constantly changing when you don't want it to?:confused:

Nope, that was 8 cogs in that thing :)

Still I wouldn't base any decisions/opinions in concrete until I've tryed it myself, everybody has their own preferences :)

IMHO 7 gears in a quick changing automated manual sounds fantastic, without a doubt it'd be quicker than the same set up with the 6 speed, because of the greater ratio spread and the almost instantaneous gear changes...

Wraith
3rd March 2009, 09:58 AM
I just wet my pants:o - damn this thing is hot!! Looks better than the new mazda 3 MPS.

Not sure about that USC, check the latest pics in the MPS 3 thread...that thing looks HOT !!! and the interior is also a big step up, will be complete if it comes to Aust. with keyless entry, push button start and i-stop...man there's just too many nice cars to choose from these days :arf:

I'll have some more pics by Wednesday night of the MPS 3 from the Melb. motor show :)

imay
3rd March 2009, 10:36 AM
Looking forward to checking out the MPS pix, Ange. But from what I have seen so far, really, really, REALLY don't like the smiley face. Just wouldn't feel right driving around in that when I've had a bitch of a day (lol)!
Looks like a nice package other than the front!

Wraith
3rd March 2009, 01:01 PM
Looking forward to checking out the MPS pix, Ange. But from what I have seen so far, really, really, REALLY don't like the smiley face. Just wouldn't feel right driving around in that when I've had a bitch of a day (lol)!
Looks like a nice package other than the front!

Ian, I've already been at the Melb. motor show and checked out the new Mazda 3 hatch in the flesh, which has the same or similar smiley front end and TBH it's not that bad in real life, in pics it seems to exaggerate it, but when I looked at it on Saturday, it wasn't as 'loud' as what it seems to be in pictures :)

Will be there again tomorrow night and will try to take some good pics of the new MPS 3 for you all - but as said, IMHO they won't do the car justice as it'll look heaps better in the flesh ;)

AFAIK its price point will be the same as the outgoing model, which makes it one of the best buys in its class for sure, all things considered :)

rjastra
3rd March 2009, 01:55 PM
AFAIK its price point will be the same as the outgoing model, which makes it one of the best buys in its class for sure, all things considered

New Mazda 3 got at least a 5% price rise for base spec.

USC
3rd March 2009, 09:11 PM
New Mazda 3 got at least a 5% price rise for base spec.
:eek:

Wraith
4th March 2009, 09:51 AM
Hopefully I'll be able to get some accurate info on pricing tonight...

Wouldn't be too worried about it though - it's still a buyers market to some point with cars ATM because of the economic climate and it's going to get worse, so I'd imagine you could get a very good deal on one of these, especially towards years end and start of 2010 will see a 5% drop in import car tarrifs, if the economic climate is the same or worse than now, it might be a very good time or opportunity to buy...ie: for those that can :eyes: