PDA

View Full Version : extractors

beep beep sri
26th August 2004, 05:37 AM
can any one tell me where i can get extractors for my 2002 barina sri ive looked everywhere but to no avail HELP!! :(
p.s some people say go custom built but i think itd cost to much

Jass
26th August 2004, 07:43 AM
I think for the price that the custom build ones might cost, your better off getting them from the UK somewere. Ive never head of extractors been placed on a barina here, but then again one of the corsa boys might be able to help out with more info.

ultim8DTM5
26th August 2004, 09:10 AM
Allen (OzzySRi) has extractors on his, from memory they were custom as well. He didn't notice much gain-wise but says they are nice sounding.

From memory I think they're from Hi-Tech

astra_city
26th August 2004, 06:16 PM
yeah I would guess that in Australia you would need to get them made up - it shouldn't cost all that much extra, my bro got 4-2-1 extractors and full 2 inch exhaust/sports cat/muffler for around $1k (mild steel and press bent though) for his Pulsar.

Everyone says that they don't make any more power...but somebody on here (sorry forgot who!) with an astra 1.8 has extractors and exhaust and runs low 16s....so sounds like quite an improvement to me 8)

good luck

OzzySRi
26th August 2004, 06:19 PM
yep i got extractors made up by liverpool exhaust (AKA hurricane headers). speak to shev. he kept the templates when he made mine. they're a 4-2-1, mandrel bend, mild steel. they'll relocate a hi-flo cat under the car n wire up all the sensors (no eng light probs). excellent workmanship too. cost me $800 all up.

it'll definately transform the way the engine puts out but performance wise i think its more a seat of the pants thing... which i like.

plus it sounds extra horny when u give it some

ultim8DTM5
26th August 2004, 06:33 PM
There you go, Liverpool Exhaust not Hi-Tech :P

beep beep sri
26th August 2004, 07:26 PM
i live in melbourne thats probly somethen i shoulda mentioned. the car sounds horn with the 2n a quarter i have on it at the moment so if its only sound im gonna get outa it i wont wory bout it and spend the money on lowering it instead. if im corect holden specs say the barina sri runs somethen like 2hundredths faster than an astra sri?

My04SRi
26th August 2004, 07:40 PM
i read up on that aswell.. in the back of my wheels mag where all the specs are..

dan_kind
26th August 2004, 08:56 PM
...in my experience with anything under 2 litres NA its a trade off between torque and power... the SRi has the meanest torque curve for a 1.8...why ruin it?

mr_sikma
27th August 2004, 06:37 AM
i havent noticed alot of difference fitting extractors to 2.0L and a 2.6L Sigmas :roll:

OzzySRi
27th August 2004, 05:09 PM
...in my experience with anything under 2 litres NA its a trade off between torque and power... the SRi has the meanest torque curve for a 1.8...why ruin it?

Absolutely agree with that mate. my car has noticably less punch espesh in the daily battle to work BUT on the go it feels faster and is definately not any slower

on a plus side. engine bay temps are down coz no more cat in there.

beep beep sri
28th August 2004, 06:57 AM
ok after reading all this wich i must thank you all for your info im gonna lower it instead and ill finish the stereo i already have 2 alpine 12inch subs 2 alpine amps 1 running stock speakers :shock: ive wanted new ones but i thought extractors may be the go and now i know they r not the money has to go somewhere

dan_kind
29th August 2004, 01:44 AM

Absolutely agree with that mate. my car has noticably less punch espesh in the daily battle to work BUT on the go it feels faster and is definately not any slower

on a plus side. engine bay temps are down coz no more cat in there.

Oh for sure, at high RPM you are definately allowing the motor to throw its waste gas out more quickly, but the age old argument of whether a 5 kw gain @ 6000 is worth the 5nm drop @ 3000...for my daily punting i rely heavily on torque, especially to 'corner on throttle' etc...

The cat was placed in the engine bay (as it is starting to be placed in most vehicles) to allow it to warm up faster, so that the catalyst is actually doing something with those gasses, i am pretty sure i have heard the emissions of the vehicle are unacceptable with the cat moved, based on the fact the cold start map runs rather rich as the engineers expected the cat to be hot already...

We should put both on a dyno and have a look at the power/torque curves for curiousity sake..

OzzySRi
29th August 2004, 10:13 AM
oh well the moneys spent. we're all trying to enhance a species. sometimes it works.. sometimes not.

$99 for a power run :shock: ...
i'll be cruisin the forums for a $50 dyno day thank you
go figure aye :screwy:

astra_city
29th August 2004, 04:27 PM
mate I still reckon that extractors are worth it.
I believe that it would makea decent power gain over just a cat back system and if you get 4-2-1 then you won't lose out much torque down low at all. After my TEE is over I'm going to get a quote for a full exhaust/extractors for my Astra...and I plan on doing before and after dyno runs, so we'll know in around 6 months time!

blueraven
29th August 2004, 08:31 PM
most calibra's come with extractors as standard so i dont know if they might fit your car.. but i bet they will be a close fit to most 1.8 and 2.0l astra's.