PDA

View Full Version : Fuel Saving Tips

insanegrunt
23rd February 2009, 02:22 PM
Fuel Saving Tips

Take care
Have your tires properly balanced and keep the vehicle "in alignment" to get the best fuel mileage.
Service your vehicle regularly. Keeping a vehicle well maintained keeps it operating efficiently and reduces fuel usage.

Check your tyre pressures
Check your tyre pressures regularly - make it part of your Sunday routine or something. If your tyre pressures are low, you will be increasing the rolling resistance of the tyre on the road and that will be robbing your fuel efficiency - your gas mileage will be down. So make sure they're up to manufacturer recommended values (at the very least) and watch your mpg get a little better.

STOP SPEEDING!
Fuel consumption increases significantly over about 90 km/h. At 110 km/h your car uses up to 25 per cent more fuel than it would cruising at 90 km/h. If your car is fitted with cruise control, using it during highway driving will help to maintain a steadier speed, which will save fuel.
Consider a little less braking if you can. If you can see the next set of lights ahead of you are red, don't race up to them and come to a complete stop. Try to moderate your speed a little if you can do it safely.

Change octane if you can
Too many people drive around with medium or premium gas in their tank when they just don't need to. If your owner's manual says "regular", it means it.

Use the internet
Not so much about improving your mpg as saving money; no matter where you live, there will be one or more internet sites that can provide you with petrol prices in your area.

Travel Light
The more weight a vehicle carries, the more fuel it uses..Don't use your car as a mobile store room. Leave heavy items like tools and sports equipment at home when you don't need them on a trip. Even roof racks can add to the drag of your car take it off when you’re not using it.

KEEP IT CLEAN
Your air filter is what protects your engine from ingesting all the dust, dirt and crap in the air. If it's doing its job well, it will clog up, much like the bag of a vacuum cleaner. Once it clogs up, your engine has a harder time sucking air through it.
Change your oil and oil filter Whilst you won't see any massive improvement by changing your oil and filter, you're ensuring that your engine is keeping its 'fresh blood'.
If your fuel injectors have never been done, or you've got more than 60,000 miles on them, consider getting the professionally cleaned. It won't be cheap but it's cheaper than a new car (by a huge margin) and it will help your mpg

SPARKS
Spark plugs work in an incredibly hostile environment. If you've got more than 30,000 miles on yours, change them. Fresh plugs that aren't covered in carbon desposits will certainly help you in your quest to become a fuel miser.

Turn it off
Restarting your car takes less fuel than idling.
Most cars don't need to be "warmed up" by idling before setting off. This simply wastes fuel. Start your car when you are ready to go. Once on the road, minimise fuel wasted in idling by stopping the engine whenever your car is stopped or held up for an extended period of time. By having the engine switched off, even for a short period, you will save more fuel than is lost from the burst of fuel involved in restarting the engine.

THE RIGHT GEAR
Driving in a gear lower than you need wastes fuel, and letting the engine labour in top gear on hills and corners is also wasteful. In a manual vehicle, change up gears as soon as the car is comfortable with the higher gear but without accelerating harder than necessary.
Automatic transmissions will shift up more quickly and smoothly if you ease back slightly on the accelerator once the car gathers momentum. Avoid the use of power options which drop the car into a lower gear and therefore use more fuel.

ITS A CAR NOT A FREEZER
Airconditioners can use about 10 per cent extra fuel when operating. However, at speeds of over 80 km/h, use of airconditioning is better for fuel consumption than an open window as this creates aerodynamic drag. If it is hotter inside your car than outside when you start a trip, drive with the windows down for a few minutes to help cool the car before starting the airconditioning.

Hang with the trucks
Ever notice how, in bad traffic jams, cars seem to constantly speed up and slow down, while trucks tend to roll along at the same leisurely pace? A constant speed keeps shifting to a minimum -- important to those who have to wrangle with those ten-speed truck transmissions -- but it also aids economy, as it takes much more fuel to get a vehicle moving than it does to keep it moving. Rolling with the big rigs saves fuel (and aggravation)

R3N
23rd February 2009, 02:37 PM
I use the interweb lots... how come my fuel consumption doesn't go down?

More tips:
- Use the cruise control if you have it, constant throttle improves consumption

mr corsa
23rd February 2009, 02:51 PM
another tip for fuel saving dont build a modified car :arf:

Shay
23rd February 2009, 02:52 PM
STOP SPEEDING!
Fuel consumption increases significantly over about 90 km/h. At 110 km/h your car uses up to 25 per cent more fuel than it would cruising at 90 km/h. If your car is fitted with cruise control, using it during highway driving will help to maintain a steadier speed, which will save fuel.
Consider a little less braking if you can. If you can see the next set of lights ahead of you are red, don't race up to them and come to a complete stop. Try to moderate your speed a little if you can do it safely.

well done R3N

turbo doesnt help

InsaneAsylum
23rd February 2009, 02:56 PM
don't turn on your engine, push your car around instead

btm
23rd February 2009, 03:18 PM
ride your motorbike instead :D

Shay
23rd February 2009, 03:22 PM
even better PUSH BIKE

Wraith
23rd February 2009, 03:38 PM
Fuel Saving Tips

Take care
Have your tires properly balanced and keep the vehicle "in alignment" to get the best fuel mileage.
Service your vehicle regularly. Keeping a vehicle well maintained keeps it operating efficiently and reduces fuel usage.

Check your tyre pressures
Check your tyre pressures regularly - make it part of your Sunday routine or something. If your tyre pressures are low, you will be increasing the rolling resistance of the tyre on the road and that will be robbing your fuel efficiency - your gas mileage will be down. So make sure they're up to manufacturer recommended values (at the very least) and watch your mpg get a little better.

STOP SPEEDING!

Change octane if you can
Too many people drive around with medium or premium gas in their tank when they just don't need to. If your owner's manual says "regular", it means it.

Use the internet
Not so much about improving your mpg as saving money; no matter where you live, there will be one or more internet sites that can provide you with petrol prices in your area.

Travel Light
The more weight a vehicle carries, the more fuel it uses..Don't use your car as a mobile store room. Leave heavy items like tools and sports equipment at home when you don't need them on a trip. Even roof racks can add to the drag of your car take it off when you’re not using it.

KEEP IT CLEAN
Your air filter is what protects your engine from ingesting all the dust, dirt and crap in the air. If it's doing its job well, it will clog up, much like the bag of a vacuum cleaner. Once it clogs up, your engine has a harder time sucking air through it.
Change your oil and oil filter Whilst you won't see any massive improvement by changing your oil and filter, you're ensuring that your engine is keeping its 'fresh blood'.
If your fuel injectors have never been done, or you've got more than 60,000 miles on them, consider getting the professionally cleaned. It won't be cheap but it's cheaper than a new car (by a huge margin) and it will help your mpg

SPARKS
Spark plugs work in an incredibly hostile environment. If you've got more than 30,000 miles on yours, change them. Fresh plugs that aren't covered in carbon desposits will certainly help you in your quest to become a fuel miser.

Turn it off
Restarting your car takes less fuel than idling.
Most cars don't need to be "warmed up" by idling before setting off. This simply wastes fuel. Start your car when you are ready to go. Once on the road, minimise fuel wasted in idling by stopping the engine whenever your car is stopped or held up for an extended period of time. By having the engine switched off, even for a short period, you will save more fuel than is lost from the burst of fuel involved in restarting the engine.

THE RIGHT GEAR
Driving in a gear lower than you need wastes fuel, and letting the engine labour in top gear on hills and corners is also wasteful. In a manual vehicle, change up gears as soon as the car is comfortable with the higher gear but without accelerating harder than necessary.
Automatic transmissions will shift up more quickly and smoothly if you ease back slightly on the accelerator once the car gathers momentum. Avoid the use of power options which drop the car into a lower gear and therefore use more fuel.

ITS A CAR NOT A FREEZER
Airconditioners can use about 10 per cent extra fuel when operating. However, at speeds of over 80 km/h, use of airconditioning is better for fuel consumption than an open window as this creates aerodynamic drag. If it is hotter inside your car than outside when you start a trip, drive with the windows down for a few minutes to help cool the car before starting the airconditioning.

Hang with the trucks
Ever notice how, in bad traffic jams, cars seem to constantly speed up and slow down, while trucks tend to roll along at the same leisurely pace? A constant speed keeps shifting to a minimum -- important to those who have to wrangle with those ten-speed truck transmissions -- but it also aids economy, as it takes much more fuel to get a vehicle moving than it does to keep it moving. Rolling with the big rigs saves fuel (and aggravation)

Some great tips there - albeit things alot of us are already aware and heard of before, but well done for your effort :)

Also great to see a 17 year old promoting "stop speeding" since it's the younger age group which are most guilty of this offence, regardless whether it saves fuel or not, it's a serious safety issue...well done there too :thumbs:

BTW not always easy or possible to 'roll with the rigs' - many obvious reasons to that one :)

gslrallysport
23rd February 2009, 04:09 PM
More tips:
- Use the cruise control if you have it, constant throttle improves consumption
I find that to be very dependent on the car. Modern cars with drive by wire throttles can actually do worse with cruise control...

Example: I've got VZ Commodore AWD Ute, between the AWD and the aerodynamics of a tray back brick, its fuel consumption is pretty piss poor... When you're cruising down a hill, without cruise control and take your foot off the throttle, the revs dip down, the car then knows you want to cruise, to it cuts fuel to the injectors, but then opens the throttle butterfly up to allow the engine 'free spin', and you'll notice the revs go up. With cruise control on, it won't 'free spin', instead insisting on using the engine to brake, where allowing an extra few km/hr would hurt...

Also, with the ute, the cruise will creep between 3-4 gear alot more than driving without it. I think cruise is very dependent on the car, the conditions and the gear ratio's of the car. Having said that, I recently drove return from Brisbane to Gosford (or God's country if you ask gman :p) in a hired europcar X-Trail without gear ratios (CVT), and again, it sucked more juice with cruise... Alot of it would come down to how you drive, but for any given car, I'd try it with and without cruise and see what works if fuel consumption is your thing.

Personally I'm lazy, so an extra 1L/100km doesn't particularly phase me, and the regular 5 minute off highway excursions if I see a nice looking piece of dirt take away any eco challenge consumption I may have been gunning for anyway! :p

mania
23rd February 2009, 04:43 PM
Nice tips.

STOP SPEEDING!
Fuel consumption increases significantly over about 90 km/h. At 110 km/h your car uses up to 25 per cent more fuel than it would cruising at 90 km/h.
I have a feeling that figure's not per distance travelled - my BC certainly doesn't show a 25% increase between 90 and 110. (Who cares if you use 25% more fuel if you get there 22% faster :p).

If your car is fitted with cruise control, using it during highway driving will help to maintain a steadier speed, which will save fuel.
Typically cruise control increases fuel consumption a little bit. I think this may be to do with the "pulse and glide" technique, where it's less fuel efficient to drive at a constant speed then to vary around an average speed. Pretty minor but..

gslrallysport
23rd February 2009, 04:51 PM
I think this may be to do with the "pulse and glide" technique
Yep! Going back to the hill thing, and along similar lines, a modern car that can cut fuel altogether under 0% throttle (as most late model fuel injected will), will use no fuel rolling down a hill, but won't use double consumption going up it! ;) The problem with modern cruise is that most of them won't allow 0% throttle.

ROCCO
23rd February 2009, 06:19 PM
Fuel Saving Tips

Change octane if you can

With the Astra it says use 95...but I use 98...according to this i should swithc to 95 that correct??:confused:

mania
23rd February 2009, 06:35 PM
With the Astra it says use 95...but I use 98...according to this i should swithc to 95 that correct??:confused:

Nope ;). You just won't save a measurable amount of fuel being on 98, but the power difference -is- measurable.

insanegrunt
23rd February 2009, 07:50 PM
Yeah i found it and seen it had some good tips so why not post it.

don't turn on your engine, push your car around instead

HAHAHA