PDA

View Full Version : Monaro vs Astra???

NUTTTR
25th August 2004, 08:34 PM
Sorry all, but i'm not sure why, some people o/s (and in australia) believe the Monaro is a great awesome car... WHY? It's a GOOD IMAGE yes, and the old moaro was a truely great car....
However, the current monaro is just a rebuilt commodore (with obviously better build quality), but what i'm asking is, would you buy one? I'd take it if i was given it... but i'd never buy one, it's like buying an XR8 over a falcon.... in my mind anyway...

What does everyone else think? i can think of a million better cars than the monaro!

Dee
25th August 2004, 08:36 PM
ummm i think you might have made a typo NUTTTR

"Monaro vs Astra???"

Mitch
25th August 2004, 08:38 PM
I wouldn't buy one. For that money I'd get an R33 GTR. :D

sunny
25th August 2004, 08:46 PM
but i'd never buy one, it's like buying an XR8 over a falcon.... in my mind anyway...

xr6t would be a diff story though :wink:

Seus
25th August 2004, 08:54 PM
i really like them
maybe its just the image, but i find them very good looking
they seem good value and some good performance

obviously its very hard to compare to an astra
so i won't try

and don't even get me started on falcons (*spew)

NUTTTR
25th August 2004, 09:01 PM
Typo? What the?

I like the IMAGE, but i don't really like the car.... it's still, in all essence, a commodore...

It's like a 4 door lancer compared to a 2 door, lol.... not really, but if you get what i mean?!

Dee
25th August 2004, 09:04 PM
yeah but why would you compare a MONARO to an ASTRA???

the title of the thread

NUTTTR
25th August 2004, 09:07 PM
I mean, as a car........ i'd buy a turbo astra over a monaro ANY DAY........ That's my opinion, i admit, i'd take one over a city version... if it was the same price........ LOL

Dee
25th August 2004, 09:09 PM
ok, maybe im just tired... but i dont seem to be getting my point across the right way..never mind...

NUTTTR
25th August 2004, 09:16 PM
lol, are you saying they are too different, or the astra's better or the monaro's better?
Let me know, interested, because i want to work out why people like the monaro so....

:)

Dee
25th August 2004, 09:17 PM
and i cant say that a monaro is better than an astra or that an astra is better than a monaro.

i like both of them, but they are way too different to be compared like that...

one is a small family car, the other is a sports car

why not compare a barina to a lamborghini diablo........

ultim8DTM5
25th August 2004, 09:53 PM
People like the Monaro because its RWD, 2 door, V8 and is an Aussie icon.

krayzastra
25th August 2004, 10:41 PM
well put ultim8, yes its the image the BRAND.

People pay good money for brand and image that it excerts, the perceptions in our minds.

It's the same with buying runners, buying Nikes over whatever K-Mart sells. You know that the Nike's are better but are they worth 10 times better? Physically, NO. But because they are Nike's (the brand), I say YES, as i suspect many would.

rjastra
25th August 2004, 10:47 PM
i'd buy a turbo astra over a monaro ANY DAY

Whatever...

BY your logic an Astra SRi T is nothing more than an Astra City with a turbocharger added.

YuSuF
25th August 2004, 10:49 PM
Considering how much they are I'd rather buy a SRiT and have a F or Calibra for project. Depends as you get older you would want the more roomy and comfy vehicle

blueraven
25th August 2004, 10:53 PM
how can you compare the two? its like trying to say "harley vs yamaha superbike".. chalk and cheese etc...

Miss_Astra
25th August 2004, 10:53 PM
well in my family we have a monaro and astras so they are both good.

MiksOpel
25th August 2004, 11:06 PM
BY your logic an Astra SRi T is nothing more than an Astra City with a turbocharger added.

Exactly right, you beat me to it!

NUTTTR
25th August 2004, 11:08 PM
i'd buy a turbo astra over a monaro ANY DAY

Whatever...

how does that worK????

I'm saying PERSONALLY - that's MY OPINION and meant to be that way too.... I'm asking why OTHER PEOPLE like them more.....
The astra sri T is a VERY different car to the astra city... when did i ever say that? I'm saying i don't LIKE the monaro - a personal opinion... saying the price is too high for what it is in my mind....

Mr Cali
25th August 2004, 11:32 PM
I like the IMAGE, but i don't really like the car.... it's still, in all essence, a commodore...

So why would you pay the extra $$$ and buy a Astra Turbo when u can buy a Astra city for much less.

It's exactly what your saying about the Monaro being a commodore, and yes they are very different from each other too.. so I really dont see ur point

NUTTTR
26th August 2004, 12:46 AM
Well, that's why i asked, you CAN get a V8 commodore tho, can't you, so it's really a two door commo?

That's why i'm askling.......
An astra turbo is a different car to a city.... different motor, interior etc, but a monaro, doesn't it have the same engine as the LS1 commy?
I'm not really sure, i haven't looked into it, but i was under the impression it was.....
I'm not trying to start a war, i'm trying to get an explanation!

Corsa
26th August 2004, 01:58 AM
Saying that the monaro and the Commdore are the same is like saying that the current Vectra and the Saab are the same. They are both built off the same platform and in the Holden's case they share the driveline. Rest is different. The City and the Turbo Astra have a lot more in common. The comment made about the Monaro having better build quality is crap as they all run down the same production line and are built by the same people.
Corsa

dazza015
26th August 2004, 06:38 AM
IMO The Monaro (& the Commodore) is allllllllllll in the Marketing.....its not a case of the Monaro/Commodore being better than the BA Falcon .its not ( As agreed by dozens of motoring journo's) Holden just has a better Marketing plan!

NUTTTR wrote:
but i'd never buy one, it's like buying an XR8 over a falcon.... in my mind anyway...

Sunny Wrote:
xr6t would be a diff story though

Agreed! :mrgreen:

Hmmm BA XR8 2 Door...........

Jass
26th August 2004, 07:24 AM
There alll still Taxix!!!! :mrgreen:

NUTTTR
26th August 2004, 09:19 AM
There alll still Taxix!!!! :mrgreen:

At least someone understands my point!!!
:)

Mr T
26th August 2004, 09:23 AM
Drive a monaro....

...you'll all have different opinions

I have VY Company car - I would never pay for one

I would however buy a monaro - they may be based on the "V" Car but they have 3.6% stiffer Torsional rigidity and far better build quality....

.... and for less than $4K in aftermarket accessories you can tweek them up to over 300KW :D

and do a low - mid 12sec pass

Anonymous
26th August 2004, 09:30 AM
if i had the cash i would have a monaro right now , spend $1500 dollars on a edit and have a low 13 second car. in germany mercs are the taxis

Jass
26th August 2004, 09:55 AM
I did drive a manaro, didn't like them, everytime i see them it reminds me of a taxi, sorry just my opinion same goes for the Falcon range even if its a Xr6 Turbo. Id rather a spend the cash on something else just my two cents, that's not saying however that the astra T is better by any means. If i had my way i would own an R34 GT-R. :mrgreen:

GOZOFF
26th August 2004, 10:58 AM
mmm....yeh I would have a Monaro there SIk I only like 2 door cars anyway :wink:

astro
26th August 2004, 11:25 AM
Monaro v's Astra :?:
I wouldn't mind having both actually but no Commodores
So anyone see in the face lift version of the new Monaro with those vents on the bonnet ?? Sweet :D

Jass
26th August 2004, 12:29 PM
yeah saw it on wheels magazine yesterday looks like the GTO :P

Cybulba
26th August 2004, 12:37 PM
Was taken for a drive in a ??cv8 monaro ?? found them to be guttsy but the interiours went that much chop.. looked to be sorta rushed and cheap looking .. compare to the turbo and convertable astra..

but as performance they do haul ;)

monaros seem to be a poor mans porsche

Anonymous
26th August 2004, 12:41 PM
mmmmmmmmmm monaro http://www.ls1gto.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=2571 and look its a astra http://www.sprint.net.au/~fabiand/vz/NewHolden028.jpg and a monaro
http://www.sprint.net.au/~fabiand/vz/NewHolden030.jpg

Mr T
26th August 2004, 12:50 PM
I wonder what those air vents are for, the air box is behind the N/S headlight and the throttle body is behind the top of the radiator.

It might be for cooling the engine, but isn't that what the radiator is for.

Rhino
26th August 2004, 01:25 PM
.... and do a low - mid 12sec pass
Dreaming. My mate has a VYSS, same motor, chipped to 306kw. Best he's ever done is a 13.6! And he's no slouch in the driver's chair.

I don't mind the Monaro. What did disappoint me was that there's a V6 version! I'd have preferred to see them as more of an HSV status item... with grunt and more grunt. But for better or worse, 'let's make them affordable to everybody' - unfortunately affordable means common and would take some of the prestige out of owning one. That said, it seems that this was common opinion too as it was pulled from market because they weren't selling any.

Unfortunately (but I guess acceptably due to good results), Holden make a good product and stick to using it for 5 years. The donk hasn't changed since the VT? and only with the advent of the VE will the new donk come out.

At least the blue oval saw marketing sense and had the 'Tickford' XR6 different to the standard V6 donk. It's not until the VY that Holden jumped on that bandwagon and introduced the SV8 and more recently the SV6 with the release of the VZ).

But I digress.

I think the Monaro is starting to look dated already... that doesn't mean it doesn't look good, but I think it has a short shelf life... and (without trying to offend anyone) I think certain type of people drive a Monaro, well, the one's I've seen on cruises anyway.

These are my opinions.., and the SRiT and Monaro very definitely cannot be compared! If they cost the same, maybe...

[end rant]

Molky
26th August 2004, 01:33 PM
I took a Monaro for a test drive on Saturday. Loved it so much I signed up on Tuesday, pick it up in October. :mrgreen:

RK
26th August 2004, 01:40 PM
XR Falcon COUPE :shock: :shock: I WANT!!

P.S In the middle east, they use Mercs and BMWs as Taxi's.

P.P.S Monaros look SEXY!

P.P.P.S Im not sure how much monaros cost, so i wont comment on whether i'd buy one or not.

Blitzkrieg
29th August 2004, 01:19 AM
Monaro's sales come from loyal supporters. There are much better cars out there for that sort of money these days.

Michael

rjastra
29th August 2004, 07:47 AM
There are much better cars out there for that sort of money these days.

Ok... name all the mid $50K coupes with 5L+ V8s?

Blitzkrieg
29th August 2004, 02:41 PM
Do you want to pinpoint any harder ?

Michael

jch75
29th August 2004, 05:20 PM

Unfortunately (but I guess acceptably due to good results), Holden make a good product and stick to using it for 5 years. The donk hasn't changed since the VT? and only with the advent of the VE will the new donk come out.

At least the blue oval saw marketing sense and had the 'Tickford' XR6 different to the standard V6 donk. It's not until the VY that Holden jumped on that bandwagon and introduced the SV8 and more recently the SV6 with the release of the VZ).
[end rant]

I have to agree. Holden have to be more aggressive I think. To be honest, I think it is shocking that they are still using a VT \ VX shape for a monaro when you have a VY \ VZ commodore - is a bit backwards. Is the next face lift going to be to VE ? Otherwise there is going to be no suprise for the new VZ Monaro update...........woweee...........

I have created threads about this over and over. Personally, I think Holden should have a standard commodore that is only accessible by governments and registered businesses. I don't think people off the street should be able to buy them. Then, they should have a second tier commodore that is for private buyers, has a more aggressive look etc at no additional cost. At the end of the day, these car makers make enough money to throw in spoilers and bonnet vents and whatever other crap. At least then you don't see to many boring executives on the road. If you look at the pontiac gto body kits - i reckon they look great and i dont think people should have to pay 10 grand (or whatever $$$) more for it. The new V6 is powerful enough to satisfy most people. At the end of the day the midsize car market is booming and Holden need to be aggressive, proactive and throw forward a great product that looks the bit for the private buyer. Otherwise people will turn to the WRXs which are just as common as commodores these days - only they offer sportly looks, better performance for approx the same price. If you have a better value product, you get more sales and that is better than (even if statistically) selling less for more $$$.

jch75
29th August 2004, 05:32 PM
I wouldn't buy one. For that money I'd get an R33 GTR. :D

This is a crazy comment. Anyone knows you can buy a second hand car for peanuts that are just as good as new cars. Holdens don't hold their value anyway.

Ive got friends and rellies who have nissan twin turbo 300zx' and skylines. Fast yep, dirt cheap yep......................whats your point ????

You can buy a heap of second hand cars under $20000 that could whoop any Holden.......................

I don't think anyone who buys a Holden seriously thinks their cars a fast. Maybe swift, but everyone knows a 2 tonne family car isn't a race car. BUT very fun to drive with all that weight being thrown around. And it is always good to occasionally knock off an imported scalp.

astra_city
29th August 2004, 08:45 PM
yeah I don't mind the monaro
but I personally for the same price would get a 350z 8)
and mercs and bmw's being used as taxi's in germany only means that they have nice taxi rides :)
I would never compare a holden to a mer of Bmw....I don't think many Holden driver's would either.

Bob
29th August 2004, 11:33 PM
I actually wanted to buy an HSV GTO but the insurance was $1000 more per year than what I'm paying now! That, and the view out the back is rather pathetic (not that it's much better in my car, but, the GTO was really bad IMO).
I know my car is not sophisticated nor well refined, but when I hit the GO pedal, it leaves a BIG smile on my face. The sound of the V8, the torque throwing you into your seat, it's all good clean fun!! :mrgreen:

Mr T
1st September 2004, 01:21 PM
Dreaming. My mate has a VYSS, same motor, chipped to 306kw. Best he's ever done is a 13.6! And he's no slouch in the driver's chair.

285KW Clubbies have been known to do 13.5's

I Didn't say 300KW, I said over 300KW, It is possible to see 340-360KW with a good set up.

Extractors, exhaust, cold air, larger throtle body will see 300KW just by its self (thats taken from a 225KW VX) then do the chip....

....you get the picture.

Not having a crack at you Rhino, I wasn't very decriptive in my first post.

At WSID (maybe in other parts of the country aswell) you will see VY's and BA's (6T's and 8's) doing 12's all night. It's not unrealistic.

Rhino
1st September 2004, 01:48 PM
MMMmmm, I've beaten 285 kW clubbies down the 1/4 ?!
Was 1 car length behind an R8 ute...

That said, SSs are actually quicker than R8s :shock: Go figure.

But fair enough... lets not hijack the thread...

Saw a BLACK GTO Coupe yesterday!!! Sexy!!! 8)

Mr T
1st September 2004, 02:16 PM
hHere, Here.

Astra V's Monaro....

....to get back on track

Not exactly apples with apples, but I think people disregard Monaro's as a "Holden" with out taking a good look, I have driven many of them CV8's GTO's GTS's Man/Auto. All good cars, didn't like the 300KW's Auto but loved the revamped Auto in the 260KW GTO (and newer).

That much raw power, grip, handling and torsional stiffness, it is hard to believe that it is built in Aus, I've had one on a track at Norwell (Holden Drive Day - refer pics about new Astra) when VY was released, these things crap all over any Holden Sedan.

So which one would I buy....

Well I didn't have $60K so I bought an Astra, If they were both the same, I'd have the CV8, but I'd wait 'till next year: AWD, GENIV 6.0L 295KW, Gotta be worth the 12 months waiting for. :D :D

But I just got married, so I'll probably be having Kids soon.... :cry:

.... So I'm hanging out for the SSX....WooHoo

jch75
1st September 2004, 08:02 PM
Its a damn shame the 427 didn't go a head. But I guess its just a statement to show the world that Holden can produce a Monaro that is capable of beating all sorts of high profile cars. If anything, Holden probably knew the 427 was never going to realistically happen but all the attention generates the same buyer interest.

Astra rated pretty well in the bang for bucks in either wheels or motor magazine recently but i reckon its pretty hard to go past the monaro - it is a damn nice looking car particularly with a few minor touch ups.

aussievectra
1st September 2004, 08:29 PM
Mmmm Monaro, Yes Please. And how would u like it done with a roof or without (Marilin) http://www.webwombat.com.au/motoring/news_reports/images/holden-marilyn2.JPG

Without a roof please.

corsaboy
1st September 2004, 08:55 PM
Monaro without a roof...BRILLIANT! :mrgreen:

NUTTTR
1st September 2004, 09:36 PM
Hmmm, don't like it without a roof....... looks a little... crap..... i don't know :)
I was never saying apples vs apples about the two, but wanted this exact sort of discussion :D

Greg K
1st September 2004, 10:43 PM
i reckon the astra T far exceeds its value for money!
excellent performance in a small euro styler, with a sexy exterior and stylish interior!
what more could you want!

the monaro however is in a completely different class made mainly for the enthusiasts with memories of the old monaros! it too has great performance and luxo interior but the fact that it nearly has 3 times as many cubes under the bonnet, it stretches the bridge between the two great cars!

at the end of the day, i would have the monaro if i had the money, but if i didnt , id take the astra T!
Greg K
:mrgreen:

jch75
2nd September 2004, 07:42 PM
Monaro without a roof...BRILLIANT! :mrgreen:

I wonder if there would be any discount if we went the roofless model......?

jch75
2nd September 2004, 07:48 PM
I'm looking forward to the new astra - the current astra along with the monaro, is getting a little longin the tooth from an exterior perspective.

I've heard here and there about an OPC Astra withn 171kw................i'd be interested in the performance of that car vs the monaro. Anyone got any details?

Molky
3rd September 2004, 12:09 AM
carpoint had a little blurb about the new 3 door Astra and and the 171kw engine, but being in Oz we'll probably never see it.

it'll be interesting though to see how 171kw goes through the front wheels only.....

Jass
3rd September 2004, 07:34 AM
We would 1st need to see the standard turbo astra hit our shores and i dont think this would happen any time soon. The 171kw OPC version is nothing more then the ecu been updated.

You might as well pay your 1000 bucks from powerchip to get the same result and save yourself the dollars!

With the price they were charging for the astra T when it came out nearlly 40k for the hard top, imagen how much holden would charge for the 171kw version easily into 50k mark! Iam sure there are a heap better cars out there for around 50K!!

jch75
3rd September 2004, 09:51 AM
Wow - so ur saying the Astra T will jump from 147kw to 171kw by installing a chip? What do you reckon that equates to in a 0-100 sprint?

I have a 155kw Vectra so I wonder what they could do with that. BUT, they haven't done anything for the Vectra unfortunately (YET)!

I guess its like everything you buy, they don't offer the full options on any product the first time only so that they can offer an easy upgrade! A bit like pcs.

OPL-20T
3rd September 2004, 10:36 AM
i almost bought a GTO before i got the astra t. also i thought about the mini S. but i enden up getting the astra. no regrets from the SRi-T. but fo rimage a monaro is a good looking sexy car thats for sure.if u buy a monaro u dont sell it u keep it for a long long time.
but as for the OPC astra stuff that i like my astra and i got more then 171kw thats for sure, thanx to powerchip and exhaust and air filter :).. my astra kicks ass :).

jch75
3rd September 2004, 10:59 AM
i almost bought a GTO before i got the astra t. also i thought about the mini S. but i enden up getting the astra. no regrets from the SRi-T. but fo rimage a monaro is a good looking sexy car thats for sure.if u buy a monaro u dont sell it u keep it for a long long time.
but as for the OPC astra stuff that i like my astra and i got more then 171kw thats for sure, thanx to powerchip and exhaust and air filter :).. my astra kicks ass :).

Cool, so what have you belted? Any wrxs or nissans?

FLY-SRi
3rd September 2004, 03:00 PM
Powerchip rocks!...i belted a VS SS goin up hill.... :lol:

FLY-SRi
3rd September 2004, 03:05 PM
dont hate me ppl...i paid 27k for my sri-t new and $790 for my powerchip...im now sitting on 171kw....thats killer value compared to the Monaro

total $28,039 for 171kw astra...thats wot im talking about...BANG FOR UR BUCK indeed!

astro boy
3rd September 2004, 04:24 PM
dont hate me ppl...i paid 27k for my sri-t new and $790 for my powerchip...im now sitting on 171kw....thats killer value compared to the Monaro

total $28,039 for 171kw astra...thats wot im talking about...BANG FOR UR BUCK indeed!
28k Bastard :wink: Drive away? Brand new?
But seriously, you pay way more for a monaro than a SV8 and you end up loosing about 2 seconds of the 0-100 times of that of the SV8. If I was given the choice of the monaro or sv8 for free, I would take the sv8.
edit: on second thoughts, I would get the monaro and sell it. :lol:

OPL-20T
3rd September 2004, 04:34 PM
i have beat 3 wrx rolling starts from 20 to about 1*0+..
and i have beat 2 SS commos 5.7L 225Kw series II
i beat both of them by about half a car so they were spewing big time..

Rhino
3rd September 2004, 04:39 PM
Cool, so what have you belted? Any wrxs or nissans?

Haha, REXs are part of my staple diet :)

'04s prove to be a litte more trouble though :x

But that depends on how much work they've had done too. As much as we talk up how we beat them, they are usually stock or had low modification. I don't care what anyone says, a modded Rex v a modded SRiT..., rex will win everytime.

Molky
6th September 2004, 08:03 PM
[/quote]
But seriously, you pay way more for a monaro than a SV8 and you end up loosing about 2 seconds of the 0-100 times of that of the SV8. [quote]

2 seconds? eh? so the SV8 does it in around 6 seconds or a shade under and the monaro does it in around 8, how so?

Mr T
8th September 2004, 12:06 PM
But seriously, you pay way more for a monaro than a SV8 and you end up loosing about 2 seconds of the 0-100 times of that of the SV8.

2 seconds? eh? so the SV8 does it in around 6 seconds or a shade under and the monaro does it in around 8, how so?

If everyone only cared about straight line accelleration, we'd all be driving Ford Capri's with blown V8's.

Comprimising 0.2 seconds to 100 (who here would be able to feel that anyway) is more than accepable considering the extra stuff the CV8 offers.

This is the philosophy that most SRiT owners follow, i.e. V's WRX, much better core vehicle, easier low speed driving but slightly less performance. Its justifyable if these are the things that you want.

Molky
9th September 2004, 09:35 AM
yeh 0.2 of a second is more realistic, but not 2 seconds. I agree with you though about having an easy, comfortable car to drive, and straightline performance isnt everything.