PDA

View Full Version : Holden Surprise for Melbourne Motorshow

MatsHolden
22nd February 2009, 04:02 PM
http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f320/MatsHolden/h1.jpg

Very interested to see what they have been working on.

Wraith
22nd February 2009, 04:04 PM
The implementation of Daewoo models across the board maybe :eek:

And now they're set to show how they'll all look like in the Holden range :lol:

Or maybe a few steps further than Mercedes and offering all their floor stock at cost price :swg:

BTW look at that Holden emblem above - beautiful, as long as that remains, I'm happy :)

hazrd
22nd February 2009, 04:07 PM
diesel commodore?

HappySlapper82
22nd February 2009, 04:07 PM
The big "suprise" is that they will be shutting down all Australian operations :p

MatsHolden
22nd February 2009, 04:08 PM
Might be another showcar concept. Like Coupe60 and Efijy.

Wraith
22nd February 2009, 04:13 PM
Finally/Hopefully the Torana yes ????? oh boy... :D

glider
22nd February 2009, 04:23 PM
It'll have to be a big car whatever it is,

they wouldn't bank on the public being interested in a new small car concept

HappySlapper82
22nd February 2009, 04:25 PM

I beg to differ, big cars are out the window. Who can afford the petrol?

Wraith
22nd February 2009, 04:28 PM
I beg to differ, big cars are out the window. Who can afford the petrol?

Totally agree - the VE despite being a very good car, has suffered as a sign of the times...

The medium/small car market is where it's at and being going that way for some time !

Economic climate only adds to this...

hazrd
22nd February 2009, 04:30 PM
hence my diesel comment.... or worse... a hybrid commodore *shudder*

MatsHolden

Why? Considering Holden have pledged a future small car.

glider
ok revision of what i meant to say, medium or big car*

I still dont think they'll showcase a small car tho

It'll be good if I am wrong tho, will show holden is actually changing

ROCCO
22nd February 2009, 04:45 PM
prolly bring out a new daewoo...rebadged as a holden....or our all new "HOLWOO Barina" god help us all

KID_SRi
22nd February 2009, 05:15 PM
I'm with Ange, I think its the Torana.
That seems to be the latest News.

daiflu
22nd February 2009, 05:51 PM
OK guys, I really shouldn’t be telling you this, but I just can’t keep it a secret any longer!!
The surprise GM has in store for the Melbourne Motorshow is………
The relaunch of the GMRCE (General Motors Rotary Combustion Engines) project!
After spending major cash developing the mid-engine rotary Corvette in the early seventies, only to can the idea before it reached production.
In a bid to save money GMHA, have purchased the already extensive project and added their own ideas to bring the concept into the 21st century!
Brap brap brrrrraaaaaaaapp! :lol::cornut:

Pic of the original concept:
http://img56.imageshack.us/img56/6969/1973chevroletaerovetteckg9.jpg

poita
22nd February 2009, 05:52 PM
Don't hold out Matt, I bet you know :p

I bet they are releasing a motorbike, like the boat they released with Maloo a few years.

rjastra
22nd February 2009, 06:11 PM
How about they show a few of the cars used in the new Transformers movie... Maybe a Camaro ;)

Vectracious
22nd February 2009, 06:20 PM
I reckon it'll be a diesel commo as well. *yawn*

ADJ
22nd February 2009, 06:25 PM
RHD Camaro or the Torana for my money.

Wraith
22nd February 2009, 06:26 PM

You mean :yawn: LOL :lol:

Maybe fall asleep altogether :sleep: *goes and puts flame suit on in anticipation of the diesel bridgade charge* :inncazato:

Here's hoping Kid_SRi, ADJ and I are on the money :smile2: and if so, it'd better be a worthwhile re-birth otherwise :mad3:

Man I love these new emocons :D

Shaun
22nd February 2009, 07:41 PM

Very Likely it could be a Diesel Commodore. Romours have been floating round about HSV releasing a diesel so i would dare say its on the money that Holden are about to release a Diesel Powered Commodore.

RHD Camaro or the Torana for my money.

RHD Camaro has been shelved for now. As has the Buick brand being brought to australia.

ROCCO
22nd February 2009, 08:08 PM
its not a car...just a new badge...they don't have the money for a new one lol

pd-xc-72464118
22nd February 2009, 08:59 PM
Firstly there's no guarantee this 'big' news will actually be big at all.

However my tip would be:

1) Debut of the Government-funded local 4 cylinder concept (and it will *not* look like the TT36)
2) Presentation of the Holden-badged Volt (and the underwhelmed sigh would be heard interstate because it would look exactly the same as everyone has already seen except with a Holden badge and because it's not due until 2011)

One from way out there:

Announcement of Holden as an Australian partner with Better place (http://www.betterplace.com/our-bold-plan/how-it-works/electric-car).

Mycal
22nd February 2009, 09:10 PM
I think they should release a RHD version of the Pontiac Solstice GXP/Opel GT/Saturn Sky Redline.

http://media.canada.com/b17a5268-e809-4db2-a84b-06fc4c00d03e/saturn_sky_2007_800500.jpg

MatsHolden
22nd February 2009, 09:11 PM
I think they should release a RHD version of the Pontiac Solstice GXP/Opel GT/Saturn Sky Redline.

http://media.canada.com/b17a5268-e809-4db2-a84b-06fc4c00d03e/saturn_sky_2007_800500.jpg

If that was going to happen it would've happen before now. It's only available in LHD anyway.

daiflu
22nd February 2009, 09:15 PM

However my tip would be:

1) Debut of the Government-funded local 4 cylinder concept (and it will *not* look like the TT36)

They have had one sitting in the design studio in Melbourne for a while now, making this a very real possibility.

MatsHolden
22nd February 2009, 09:29 PM
Don't hold out Matt, I bet you know :p

I know nothing.... :p

poita
22nd February 2009, 09:39 PM
I know nothing.... :p

:p :lol:
http://www.ambrosiasw.com/~andrew/funny/bullshit.jpg

Shaun
22nd February 2009, 09:50 PM

However my tip would be:

2) Presentation of the Holden-badged Volt (and the underwhelmed sigh would be heard interstate because it would look exactly the same as everyone has already seen except with a Holden badge and because it's not due until 2011)

One from way out there:

Announcement of Holden as an Australian partner with Better place (http://www.betterplace.com/our-bold-plan/how-it-works/electric-car).

The Volt appeared at the Sydney International Motorshow

rjastra
22nd February 2009, 10:57 PM
you know there is a hybrid version of the Captiva available ...... maybe ;)

Diesel Commodore is a big yawn. It wont make people buy Commodores so why bother.

How about the first big car sold in australia with a direct injection v6? In effect leapfrogging the Aurion/Falcon in power and economy.

ROCCO
22nd February 2009, 11:48 PM
or holden unveiling a new ford or something like that...or Holden and ford joining forces...to take on Nissan and Toyota...that would really ***k with all the bogans that just go to the car show to see the commodore..tossers

Shaun
22nd February 2009, 11:52 PM
you know there is a hybrid version of the Captiva available ...... maybe ;)

Diesel Commodore is a big yawn. It wont make people buy Commodores so why bother.

How about the first big car sold in australia with a direct injection v6? In effect leapfrogging the Aurion/Falcon in power and economy.

Possablity and could it be a Twin Turbo 6 to take on the XR6 T and FPV F6

HappySlapper82
22nd February 2009, 11:52 PM
Or GM is selling their Holden division back to the Aus government :p

EL BURITO
23rd February 2009, 01:57 AM
hence my diesel comment.... or worse... a hybrid commodore *shudder*
the is one of those sitting in the power house in Sydney

oneightoo
23rd February 2009, 07:57 AM
be good if it was a hydrogen fueled commodore..

hydrogen is the future..

Wraith
23rd February 2009, 08:26 AM
Possablity and could it be a Twin Turbo 6 to take on the XR6 T and FPV F6

You may be onto something there...

A V6 twin turbo was definitely on the way for GMH and HSV Commodore range, but with the current economy/fuel prices etc. it may have been put on the back burner ???

If introduced, that'll be something... :)

Wraith
23rd February 2009, 08:29 AM
be good if it was a hydrogen fueled commodore..

hydrogen is the future..

Totally agree...but it'll be a long term prospect, nearer term manufacturers will chase diesel, hybrid and various LPG alternatives and ever smaller engine displacements along with an increase in smaller car models...

oneightoo
23rd February 2009, 09:51 AM
not really that long term Ange..

Honda have a fully hyrdogen fuelled mid sized family car available for sale in the US (LA only i think).. costs the same to refuel, does roughly the same km per litre, and is just as quick accelerating - obviously not at sports car standards yet..

but for general motoring / family trips / driving to work, it would be perfect.

MatsHolden
23rd February 2009, 09:59 AM

Honda have a fully hyrdogen fuelled mid sized family car available for sale in the US (LA only i think).. costs the same to refuel, does roughly the same km per litre, and is just as quick accelerating - obviously not at sports car standards yet..

Long term though in terms of infrastructure.

rjastra
23rd February 2009, 10:05 AM

For lease... you never own it and the cost is heavily subsidised by Honda.

cdxi
23rd February 2009, 10:22 AM
The LS1 Forum is abuzz with the rumour that the big surprise is a RHD Holden-badged Camaro – based on one of the contributors having seen the press release.

Given that the Feds have tipped a healthy amount of $$ into Holden from the Green Car Fund, I think we’re going to be seeing a pre-production version of Holden’s version of the Delta car, most likely in hatch form which at this point has not been seen anywhere in the GM world. It might even showcase the 1.4l turbo or a Volt-style hybrid drivetrain.

The RWD Torana TT36 will not happen in this economic climate. Holden would never get it financed and as a six, it would work against GM meeting corporate CAFÉ targets.

We have already seen the Cadillac range “postponed” for Australia. Holden’s future is not in large cars. The focus will be on the next generation of small, “green” cars.

Wraith
23rd February 2009, 10:43 AM

What I meant was long term before we see this spread across the board or become widespread across the World - actually probably very long term in that regard :)

Honda arn't the 1st either, can't remember which Country it is, Norway or Scadanavia or on e those around there, have had their whole bus line and public transport infrastructure set up on hydrogen fuel cell running technology for years now...

In another thread we had a while ago, I mentioned it, hydrogen fuel cell electric power for vehicles is definitely the way ahead IMO :)

Wraith
23rd February 2009, 10:45 AM
The LS1 Forum is abuzz with the rumour that the big surprise is a RHD Holden-badged Camaro – based on one of the contributors having seen the press release.

Given that the Feds have tipped a healthy amount of $$ into Holden from the Green Car Fund, I think we’re going to be seeing a pre-production version of Holden’s version of the Delta car, most likely in hatch form which at this point has not been seen anywhere in the GM world. It might even showcase the 1.4l turbo or a Volt-style hybrid drivetrain.

The RWD Torana TT36 will not happen in this economic climate. Holden would never get it financed and as a six, it would work against GM meeting corporate CAFÉ targets.

We have already seen the Cadillac range “postponed” for Australia. Holden’s future is not in large cars. The focus will be on the next generation of small, “green” cars.

So the Camaro maybe a goer ???

Steve will be wrapped :cornut:

oneightoo
23rd February 2009, 11:34 AM
Long term though in terms of infrastructure.

yeah didnt think of it that way.. if they were really serious tho, it could be done quickly.. expensive, but quickly..

For lease... you never own it and the cost is heavily subsidised by Honda.

didnt know that.. hope they dont do what GM did and just destroy them all!!

What I meant was long term before we see this spread across the board or become widespread across the World - actually probably very long term in that regard :)

Honda arn't the 1st either, can't remember which Country it is, Norway or Scadanavia or on e those around there, have had their whole bus line and public transport infrastructure set up on hydrogen fuel cell running technology for years now...

In another thread we had a while ago, I mentioned it, hydrogen fuel cell electric power for vehicles is definitely the way ahead IMO :)

if only countries took the initiative and got it running now.. either way it's going to cost.. might as well get in on it now..

Calibrated
23rd February 2009, 11:41 AM
Insignia maybe?

rjastra
23rd February 2009, 11:51 AM
didnt know that.. hope they dont do what GM did and just destroy them all!!

Most likely they would analyse them and then "recycle".

oneightoo
23rd February 2009, 11:54 AM
Most likely they would analyse them and then "recycle".

well, i guess we can only hope this time it doesnt..

last time was different.. they didnt have all the climate change claims, and all the threats of running out of oil blah blah blah..

rjastra
23rd February 2009, 03:50 PM
well, i guess we can only hope this time it doesnt..

last time was different.. they didnt have all the climate change claims, and all the threats of running out of oil blah blah blah..

nothing to do with that. It's the companies on going liability to support these bleeding edge technology vehicles. It's best to destroy them than to face any liability claims in the future.

Climate change as a science (sic) was around over a decade before the EV-1 was built. It just wasn't fashionable ;)

oneightoo
23rd February 2009, 04:03 PM
lol fashionable, so true..

ASTRAY
23rd February 2009, 04:13 PM
The implementation of Daewoo models across the board maybe :eek:

And now they're set to show how they'll all look like in the Holden range :lol:

Or maybe a few steps further than Mercedes and offering all their floor stock at cost price :swg:

BTW look at that Holden emblem above - beautiful, as long as that remains, I'm happy :)

a big +1 mate.
i may have re-opelised my opel, but im a holden fan through and through.
if holden have to sell daewoos to keep afloat, then so be it.
i just want there to be a holden in the future.
holden are one of the very few maunufacturers that make good looking cars...

for all the others...
u.g.l.y....
you aint got no alibi,
you ugly
hey hey
you ugly
hey hey

and my guesses as to what the suprise is...
4cyl commo
torana
insignia
volt

im aiming more towards 4cyl commo, or torry
but if i had to choose one....
drum roll...
torry

ASTRAY
23rd February 2009, 04:17 PM
Totally agree - the VE despite being a very good car, has suffered as a sign of the times...

The medium/small car market is where it's at and being going that way for some time !

Economic climate only adds to this...

medium, aka torry. :)
will be good if they could offer it in a decent price bracket..
20-30k

Wraith
23rd February 2009, 04:28 PM
medium, aka torry. :)
will be good if they could offer it in a decent price bracket..
20-30k

You know what would be really good - the Volt is ready to go and will be exactly in that price bracket above :)

I'd seriously consider one...:yesnod:

xplosv57
23rd February 2009, 06:49 PM
Ok from the information i got from a guy on the inside yesterday, i'm pretty damn sure i know what the suprise is, and just in case i'm wrong (plus to annoy you all) i'm not telling!!!!!

But it has been mentioned in a previous post..........

ASTRAY
23rd February 2009, 06:58 PM
Ok from the information i got from a guy on the inside yesterday, i'm pretty damn sure i know what the suprise is, and just in case i'm wrong (plus to annoy you all) i'm not telling!!!!!

But it has been mentioned in a previous post..........
spill the beans or temp ban :D

any clues?

xplosv57
23rd February 2009, 07:02 PM
spill the beans or temp ban :D

any clues?

NO.

I gave you a clue, it's been mentioned before in this thread!!

ASTRAY
23rd February 2009, 07:07 PM
NO.

I gave you a clue, it's been mentioned before in this thread!!

bah, pete, delete his clue so we can make him give us a different one :D
lol just kidding mate.
so was your inside mate just speculating or def knows what it is???

new car?
or
new engine?

poita
23rd February 2009, 07:08 PM
the is one of those sitting in the power house in Sydney

I have photos of it from when i was down last time.
it uses an x20xev plus electric motor.

bring on the Insignia :)

Steve your so mean

xplosv57
23rd February 2009, 07:17 PM
so was your inside mate just speculating or def knows what it is???

Well he just told me what he saw, and it all fits with the timing of the motor show....but he didn't know or say anything about the show, just told me what he saw!!

Steve your so mean

I know... :D

ASTRAY
23rd February 2009, 07:29 PM
well he just told me what he saw, and it all fits with the timing of the motor show....but he didn't know or say anything about the show, just told me what he saw!!

I know... :d

torry!!!!!!!

rjastra
23rd February 2009, 08:22 PM
Well he just told me what he saw, and it all fits with the timing of the motor show....but he didn't know or say anything about the show, just told me what he saw!!

Camaro or Transformer prop. Anything else wouldn't be obvious to the lay-person.

lee683
23rd February 2009, 09:17 PM
i did read awhile ago in a wheels or motor mag something to do with rotary and holden/hsv in the same sentence.
but cant remember what it was abt??

poita
23rd February 2009, 09:23 PM
oh dear, not the road pacer again hahahha

daiflu
23rd February 2009, 09:49 PM
i did read awhile ago in a wheels or motor mag something to do with rotary and holden/hsv in the same sentence.
but cant remember what it was abt??

Yea mate, you're right!
It was only 34 years ago.

lee683
23rd February 2009, 10:09 PM
Yea mate, you're right!
It was only 34 years ago.

no it was only a few years back

just like a coloum down the side of a page.

Vectracious
23rd February 2009, 10:13 PM
What Shteve is hoping for is a VX Calais Internation with white leather remake in the VE.

MatsHolden
23rd February 2009, 10:15 PM
What Shteve is hoping for is a VX Calais Internation with white leather remake in the VE.

This one?

http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e357/VSIIISS/DSC_0094.jpg

Vectracious
23rd February 2009, 10:16 PM
This one?

Cool - but it must have teh white leather :p

MatsHolden
23rd February 2009, 10:17 PM

White leather! :D

http://www.caradvice.com.au/wp-content/uploads/2008/05/holdencalaisspecialedition.jpg

Shaun
23rd February 2009, 10:38 PM
Hmm Insigina could be on the cards. Its been in the romour mill now for a couple of months.

mania
23rd February 2009, 11:49 PM
It was confirmed, pre-market troubles.

HappySlapper82
24th February 2009, 12:22 AM
Hmm Insigina could be on the cards. Its been in the romour mill now for a couple of months.

Wasn't there a link on here to a review that confirmed Insignia's release here?

lee683
24th February 2009, 12:45 PM
ive read abt the next epica but its still a daewoo. dont think they would bring the insignia here

hsv want to bring the VXR insignia here.

Brazza
24th February 2009, 02:29 PM
As much as I like the look of the new Camaro I would not like to see one as a holden because it just wouldn't feel right.

What I am hoping for instead, is the introduction of a 4 cylinder Aussie built car to offset the shittiness of all that korean crap. Oh and I don't mean a 4 cylider commodore because the last time that was tried it was plagued with fail. (http://www.uniquecarsandparts.com.au/car_info_holden_commodore_vc.htm)

"The power to weight ratio was so bad that any savings in petrol were quickly eaten away by the driver having to thrash the engine to keep up with traffic. This cost the poor owners of the 4 cylinder Commodore at both the petrol pump and the mechanics, and then again come trade-in time! Some motoring commentators of the day re-named the "Starfire-4" the "Misfire-4"."

The reason I want a new aussie 4 cylinder is because it would give loads of people the ability to own a true holden (ie. not a rebadged foreign car) that doesn't drink like a camel. To be blunt, if I had had this option when I was looking for my astra, I would have ignored the astra.

rjastra
24th February 2009, 02:47 PM
What I am hoping for instead, is the introduction of a 4 cylinder Aussie built car to offset the shittiness of all that korean crap. Oh and I don't mean a 4 cylider commodore because the last time that was tried it was plagued with fail. (http://www.uniquecarsandparts.com.au/car_info_holden_commodore_vc.htm)

"The power to weight ratio was so bad that any savings in petrol were quickly eaten away by the driver having to thrash the engine to keep up with traffic. This cost the poor owners of the 4 cylinder Commodore at both the petrol pump and the mechanics, and then again come trade-in time! Some motoring commentators of the day re-named the "Starfire-4" the "Misfire-4"."

That was 28yrs ago! Get over it! None of the competitors had remarkable performance back then anyway. The OPEL engine it replaced was a dog in its own right :P

As for the Insignia... I can't find a petrol engine that would suit this market. 1.8L normally aspirated or a 2L high output turbo (160kw). Until they can produce one with the 2.4L ecotec (now with direct injection and 133kw) then how can they compete with Liberty/Accord/Mazda 6?

cdxi
24th February 2009, 02:48 PM
As much as I like the look of the new Camaro I would not like to see one as a holden because it just wouldn't feel right.

The reason I want a new aussie 4 cylinder is because it would give loads of people the ability to own a true holden (ie. not a rebadged foreign car) that doesn't drink like a camel. To be blunt, if I had had this option when I was looking for my astra, I would have ignored the astra.

I'm hoping this will be the case too.

I don't know if it will be called Torana or Astra or Cruze or Gemini or something altogehter new, but Holden MUST move in a new direction.

As I mentioned before, Holden has been given a lifeline from KRudd with the money from the Green Car Fund. The Delta car is the direct recipient of this funding and will have to be Holden's core domestic product from 2010.

Hopefully we will see the new car on Friday at Melbourne - in hatch form as well as sedan - flying Holden's Ecoline flag. KRudd would not be best pleased if Holden's big surprise on Friday is another tricked-up non-production Commodore derivative, or an American muscle car or something that does not at least nod to Holden's future as a sustainable local manufacturer.

MatsHolden
24th February 2009, 03:31 PM

Considering it's been designed and engineered by Holden, it desrves to wear a Holden badge rather than a Chev anyway. If it was released here though the plan was to have it badged as a Chevrolet, not Holden anyway.

xplosv57
24th February 2009, 06:54 PM

This one?

White leather! :D

http://www.caradvice.com.au/wp-content/uploads/2008/05/holdencalaisspecialedition.jpg

PWND Scooby Doo!!!!!!!!!!!

As soon as i read your comment, i knew straight away it'd already been done, and of course the only other person i know who'd know that put up the pics (cheers Mat)!!

It needs to be sitting on black interceptors to be a proper remake :p!!!

Vectracious
25th February 2009, 08:18 AM
It needs to be sitting on black interceptors to be a proper remake :p!!!

oh the humanity.

But if I was 19, I'd say - thats sik re - lets go down to the factoriez for standstillz.

Brazza
25th February 2009, 10:19 AM
Considering it's been designed and engineered by Holden, it desrves to wear a Holden badge rather than a Chev anyway. If it was released here though the plan was to have it badged as a Chevrolet, not Holden anyway.

I was not aware of this before so thankyou for enlightening me. I still reckon it wouldn't work as a Holden, even though I agree that they do deserve recognition. The decision to have marketed it as a chev if it did come here would have been the right one IMO.

Red AH SRI T
25th February 2009, 04:54 PM
I'd say that the car they will reveal will be the Aussie version of the Delta car - which will be a slightly modified version of the new Astra.

ROCCO
25th February 2009, 05:40 PM
oh the humanity.

But if i was 19, i'd say - thats sik re - lets go down to the factoriez for standstillz.

lmao...:d

rjastra
25th February 2009, 10:14 PM
I'd say that the car they will reveal will be the Aussie version of the Delta car - which will be a slightly modified version of the new Astra.

Before they release it (the new Astra) in Europe?

MatsHolden
25th February 2009, 10:36 PM

Yeah, if Holden were to show their new small car based on the same platform as the new Astra, it would have to be a vehicle in it's own right, not just a slightly modified Astra.

Wraith
26th February 2009, 12:15 PM

Hmmm, you could be onto something there...

We'll all know by tomorrow, ie: if someone's going to the show tomorrow, at this stage, I'll be there on Saturday morning :)

Red AH SRI T
26th February 2009, 10:29 PM
Holden relase details at 8.07am in the morning, so keep an eye out for updates!!!

sooty
26th February 2009, 10:30 PM
8.07am in the morning,
TAUTOLOGY
Sorry, they just really annoy me.
on topic, i'm really curious to see what this big surprise is...bet you it's a let down...

ROCCO
26th February 2009, 10:34 PM
yeah all they do is at 8:07..over the PA..they say.."SUCKED IN" lol

Red AH SRI T
26th February 2009, 10:36 PM
yeah all they do is at 8:07..over the PA..they say.."SUCKED IN" lol

ROFL!!!!

Aussie Astra!!!! ;)

dieselhead
26th February 2009, 10:41 PM
ROFL!!!!

Aussie Astra!!!! ;)

yeah, running on cattle fart! sorry, methane.

immenotu
26th February 2009, 10:55 PM
TORTOLOGY
Sorry, they just really annoy me.

The study of cakes annoys you :p

lol...it's tautology ;)

Apologies for off topic.

sooty
26th February 2009, 11:45 PM
The study of cakes annoys you :p

lol...it's tautology ;)

Apologies for off topic.

lol sorry, can you tell i'm tired -_-

pd-xc-72464118
27th February 2009, 09:57 AM
Any news on the announcement?

MatsHolden
27th February 2009, 09:59 AM
Any news on the announcement?

None as yet.

poita
27th February 2009, 10:01 AM
holden cruze?

its all over the holden site

MatsHolden
27th February 2009, 10:08 AM
And this appears to be what the 'big surprise' is...
http://carsguide.news.com.au/images/uploads/holden_cruze_large.jpg

The Holden Cruze. This is the car released today in Melbourne, however it is NOT the actual version Holden will be doing, it's an imported version. They won't release details on their version.

DirtyHarry
27th February 2009, 10:11 AM
another daewoo product?

Calibrated
27th February 2009, 10:16 AM
and i suppose that means no insignia?

poita
27th February 2009, 10:18 AM
there is a heap of info on the holden site mat

http://www.holdencampaign.com.au/cruze/

CD - 1.8L petrol or 2.0L turbo diesel
CDX - 1.8L petrol

pd-xc-72464118
27th February 2009, 10:18 AM
Please tell me this weirdo space-age-looking Cruze is not what the government has paid Holden to build locally.

Seems all it has in the way of green tech is direct injection (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gasoline_direct_injection), which is hardly revolutionary having been invented in 1925.

GreyRex
27th February 2009, 10:26 AM
Tbh even im confused what's going on...

Are we getting the next Astra? Nothing's really being mentioned about that

Will the Epica be cancelled?

Are we getting the Cruze? An Australian Version of it?

Is the massive announcement made by Holden that Australia's version of the next small car is going to be based off this platform or the next Astra?

And the Volt? We already knew all of this...

Looks like i'll prob be looking elsewhere for my next car

DirtyHarry
27th February 2009, 10:29 AM
the car looks cheap...and going by the size of it, if it has anything less than a 2.5l 4 cylinder, then its going to be as slow as a granda on a sunday drive.

ahhh F**k a 1.8 litre engine or 2L diesel.

sooty
27th February 2009, 10:29 AM
Wow, we're all impressed, can't you tell:rolleyes:

on topic, i'm really curious to see what this big surprise is...bet you it's a let down...
winner...

GreyRex
27th February 2009, 10:37 AM
Wow, we're all impressed, can't you tell:rolleyes:

winner...

+1

Next!!

MatsHolden
27th February 2009, 10:40 AM
Tbh even im confused what's going on...

Are we getting the next Astra? Nothing's really being mentioned about that

Will the Epica be cancelled?

Are we getting the Cruze? An Australian Version of it?

Is the massive announcement made by Holden that Australia's version of the next small car is going to be based off this platform or the next Astra?

And the Volt? We already knew all of this...

Looks like i'll prob be looking elsewhere for my next car

Cruze is an addition to the Astra according the Reuss.

MatsHolden
27th February 2009, 11:08 AM
Also this ISN'T the Australian built government funded vehicle. This is going on sale in 6 months. The Australian built vehicle isn't due for at least the end of 2010.

DirtyHarry
27th February 2009, 11:15 AM
so is this a replacement for the viva?

GreyRex
27th February 2009, 11:30 AM
Also this ISN'T the Australian built government funded vehicle. This is going on sale in 6 months. The Australian built vehicle isn't due for at least the end of 2010.

So there's going to be the Cruze (just shown), Australia's own 'new' small car (details not released), the Astra and the Volt?

Is that right?

What about the unpopular Epica?

MatsHolden
27th February 2009, 11:33 AM
so is this a replacement for the viva?

Apparently not. It's an addition to the Astra and Viva.

MatsHolden
27th February 2009, 11:35 AM
So there's going to be the Cruze (just shown), Australia's own 'new' small car (details not released), the Astra and the Volt?

Is that right?

What about the unpopular Epica?

I'm thinking it could go Viva, Cruze, Aussie built car, Astra, Volt.

OR Viva, Cruze, Aussie built car to replace Astra, Volt

GreyRex
27th February 2009, 11:43 AM
I'm thinking it could go Viva, Cruze, Aussie built car, Astra, Volt.

OR Viva, Cruze, Aussie built car to replace Astra, Volt

I reckon Astra's gone....

rjastra
27th February 2009, 11:54 AM
The Cruze will eventually replace the Viva. I wouldn't be surprised if the sedan version of the Viva disappears when the Cruze is released and the hatch version disappears when the hatch version of the Cruze is released.

Seems to me the Holden (and ford) are fast tracking small models to the Australian market to boost sales.

ASTRAY
27th February 2009, 12:03 PM
whats the go with big ass grilles these days?

a marketing ploy by holden? eg bigger grille + room for larget badge...that badge looks like it belongs on a mack truck!

a money making ploy by holden? larger more expensive grille... charge same for replacement bumpers, and charge more for the grille cos its bigger

or is it an innocent attempt to keep engine cooler?'

either way, i dont like it.

Shay
27th February 2009, 12:26 PM
heard today could be a new monaro comin out.
or is that the rebagged camaro.

Huhness
27th February 2009, 01:05 PM
Cruze = Astra Replacement. :D

gslrallysport
27th February 2009, 01:12 PM
You think they could come up with a name that wasn't already taken by a Suzuki Ignis with a rear diff and drive shaft shoved into it...

Calibrated
27th February 2009, 01:22 PM
You think they could come up with a name that wasn't already taken by a Suzuki Ignis with a rear diff and drive shaft shoved into it...
i was thinking the same thing.

MatsHolden
27th February 2009, 01:34 PM
Cruze = Astra Replacement. :D

Cruze won't replacee Astra. If Astra is to be replaced it will be the new Australian built vehicle.

mania
27th February 2009, 01:49 PM
Most uninspired shape in a long time. Rear looks just like the current epica without the bar, front could be off any large car, middle has nothing interesting. I like the interior but, instrument cluster.

Ho hum.

GreyRex
27th February 2009, 02:04 PM
I've just been reading GoAuto news and it looks (possibly) like Holden will source the Cruz from *cough* Korea as the Viva replacement, while the 'Australian' car will be an Australianized version of the new Astra (including independent rear suspension), and then of course... the Volt will be a stand alone

poita
27th February 2009, 02:11 PM
so is the 'cruze' the official release car from holden?

or are we still assuming it is?

sooty
27th February 2009, 02:14 PM
Holden has lifted the veil on its version of General Motors global small car offering, the Cruze. Previously shown as a Chevrolet and Daewoo, Australia’s own version stays true to the international design but scores a unique grille.
Set to replace the unloved Viva and sit below the European Astra, the Cruze - slightly larger than a Toyota Corolla - will come as a sedan with two levels of trim: entry level CD and more luxurious CDX.

The Cruze will come impressively-equipped with a six-speaker MP3 and iPod compatable CD player, steering wheel audio controls, cruise control, electronic air conditioning and a trip computer. The CDX also receives heated leather seats, 17 inch alloy wheels, fog lamps and rear park sensors.

On the safety front a new stronger body structure is complimented by Electronic Stability Control, Anti-lock brakes, Traction Control and six airbags.
With a fresh new interior design and greatly improved build quality and handling package, the Cruze is intended to improve perceptions of Holden’s small car range (above the lacklustre current offerings).
The Cruze looks alright: the sharp rising crease along the belt-line and the sloping curve of the roof works well. The interior too is modern, surprisingly spacious (although head-room at the back looks a little compromised), and nicely finessed with metal highlights.
Engine choices include a 103kW 1.8 litre, while a grunty 110kW 2.0 litre turbodiesel is also available. Transmission choices include a five-speed manual or six-speed automatic.
Pricing is expected to be sharp, sub-$22k. The first models to appear in Holden showrooms in the second quarter this year will be fully imported, with Australian-production of the Cruze beginning 2010.
So we're going to get the imported model first, until we start building them next year?

MatsHolden
27th February 2009, 02:39 PM
There's so many conflicting reports. haha

Shay
27th February 2009, 02:40 PM
and i bet you know the truth!!
grr

rjastra
27th February 2009, 03:15 PM
The first models to appear in Holden showrooms in the second quarter this year will be fully imported, with Australian-production of the Cruze beginning 2010.

There it is in black and white :)

There's so many conflicting reports. haha

What conflicting reports?

ASTRAY
27th February 2009, 03:30 PM
i know someone already mentioned it, but i just want it confirmed...
we will be getting the new opel astra too?

Calibrated
27th February 2009, 04:13 PM
reviously shown as a Chevrolet and Daewoo, Australia’s own version stays true to the international design but scores a unique grille.

Gee, way to state the obvious.

Red AH SRI T
27th February 2009, 06:45 PM
Holden still haven't announced which car will be built here except to say that it will be Delta based. So everyone is just guessing. It could be that the Cruze production moves here or they build the Astra here too.

SubZero
27th February 2009, 07:14 PM
Cruze can not replace Astra. It looks ugly and cheap. if Holden replace Astra with that thing it will be a big mistake !!!

MatsHolden
27th February 2009, 09:30 PM
What conflicting reports?

Reading reports on various auto news sites, ie. carsguide, motorreport etc. They state slightly different views.

Shay
27th February 2009, 09:52 PM
just looked at the cruze, looks really similar front and back to a civic

Hoya
27th February 2009, 10:05 PM
honda city copy much?

MatsHolden
27th February 2009, 10:08 PM
I've done a quick review here after having a close look over the Cruze with a few photos.

http://www.opelaus.com/forums/showthread.php?t=21300

daiflu
5th March 2009, 08:58 AM
So we're going to get the imported model first, until we start building them next year?

Asked about this yesterday.
Yes, this appears to be the plan, Import the cruze, then start making it here.