PDA

View Full Version : Wheels Mag - New Torana

poita
19th February 2009, 04:11 PM
Well all i know is there is a pic on the front cover of Feb Wheels mag.

btm
19th February 2009, 04:14 PM
i'm liking the existing design better

Wraith
19th February 2009, 04:24 PM
Yeah, saw that and commented on other threads...

Not happy this latest concept/report suggests 4 pot powerplants only - if so it won't be an appropriate Torana re-birth, call it something else IMO...

As for the shape/look of that concept, not bad :wink1:

poita
19th February 2009, 04:28 PM
didnt think it would take you long to reply Ange lol

as for it being a four potter, do they dare bring back the 'Sunbird' name hahahaha

glider
19th February 2009, 04:28 PM
in that shape its rather insignia-esk with the doors

another one I've seen reminded me very much of a facelifted VE...

btm
19th February 2009, 04:30 PM
and vecci c headlights

glider
19th February 2009, 04:35 PM
it actually looks quite like it... except with different front bar and lights

http://www.opelaus.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=2418&stc=1&d=1235020292http://www.autoincar.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/04/opel-insignia-2.jpg

Wraith
19th February 2009, 04:59 PM
didnt think it would take you long to reply Ange lol

as for it being a four potter, do they dare bring back the 'Sunbird' name hahahaha

Oh no, hell no, hope not :mad2:

Younger folk may not know what we're on about, but long story short, the Sunbird was a name given to latter variants of Torana with 4 potters and both engine and gearbox mechanical running gear were really shit and it was Opel hardware rubbish to boot !

Anyways in short, Torana means - To Fly - yes you could have a powerful 4 pot, but a V8 or the at least GM's twin turbo V6 under the bonnet would be the way to go to match the name :D

Jerram
19th February 2009, 05:05 PM
to be a classic Torana means it needs to have a V8 - that's what all you old folk aspired to have (didn't you?) back in the day.

I even recall Charlie Cox on Australian Top Gear saying that the Torana V8 was the ultimate australian car (or words to that effect).

hazrd
19th February 2009, 07:23 PM
desperate attempt to boost sales..... they passed with flying colors when they remade the monaro, hope this turns out just as good

sunbird = nooooo
insignia look = +1 -might be why i like the look of it lol

i have a mate with a DVD of the old holden commercials thru to i think the last kingswood made.. the ad for the sunbird was quite amusing
must get him to send me a copy

xplosv57
19th February 2009, 07:27 PM
Just bring out the TT36 concept and be done with it, and also offer that engine in the VE so people finally have another option other than the bullet XR6 Turbo!!

pd-xc-72464118
19th February 2009, 09:05 PM
I absolutely love it except for the black grille surround. That looks weird.

Don't forget that it is not an 'official leak' (oxymoron?) photo but rather a computer-generated guesstimate from the magazine authors. In other words, a Photoshop job. It's quite a load of bullshit that Wheels are suggesting it's a real photo with their headlines.

The only thing engine-wise that I care about is that it's zero-emissions or close to that. If that means a high-tech V6 so be it. The government has given them a shed-load of cash to build the thing - a handout which is unheard of in decades of Australian economic history - on the off-chance that it will run an eco-friendly engine. That's disgraceful. I vote greens then labour, hate the liberals but Ruddy, you threw the cash at Holden with too few strings attached. They should have enforced mandatory hard-arse renewable fuel sourced engine(s). If it's good enough for California, it's good enough for us.

I still love the sketch / concept that came out a few years ago at a motor show. The one they all called Torana at the time. I haven't seen it for while, has anyone else? I think it's in the inside of that mag but would be good to have an online version to look at. The car was quite pinky purple if I remember correctly.

pd-xc-72464118
19th February 2009, 09:11 PM
Ah TT36.

Anyone think that it looks a little dated now? Not too sure myself. Still a fine looking car though. How about a turbo-diesel V6 with EGR, Twin-port, 24 valve, the works!

http://www.hsvforum.com.au/Gallery/data/510/Torana_16.jpg

Shay
19th February 2009, 09:54 PM
gonna go with remake the slr5000 as an slr8000 with no change to body work at all. (Yes its been done)

pics

http://i381.photobucket.com/albums/oo255/shayward06/Image034-1.jpg

http://i381.photobucket.com/albums/oo255/shayward06/Image035.jpg

http://i381.photobucket.com/albums/oo255/shayward06/Image036-1.jpg

GREAT READ THIS ONE.

http://i381.photobucket.com/albums/oo255/shayward06/Image037-1.jpg

ASTRAY
19th February 2009, 10:05 PM
Yeah, saw that and commented on other threads...

Not happy this latest concept/report suggests 4 pot powerplants only - if so it won't be an appropriate Torana re-birth, call it something else IMO...

As for the shape/look of that concept, not bad :wink1:

there were many 4cyl torrys, good ole sunbirds (well, not that good lol)
i much much MUCH prefer the other style, the one that was pink...?

ASTRAY
19th February 2009, 10:06 PM
in that shape its rather insignia-esk with the doors

another one I've seen reminded me very much of a facelifted VE...

+1, looks very ve'ish.

rjastra
20th February 2009, 08:19 AM
LOL... Toranas (or vivas as they were initially called) started as 4 cylinder only.

What I think the story suggests is that Holden may start building a car based off the insignia platform that MAY eventually replaced the ZETA platformed Commodore.

Therefore it would be FWD or available AWD. The Insignia platform has been designed to accept a V8 transversely. There are current UIS GM FWD models (Buicks) that pack the 5.3L LSx V8 or the 4.6 Northstar V8 under the bonnet.

Wraith
20th February 2009, 08:28 AM
to be a classic Torana means it needs to have a V8 - that's what all you old folk aspired to have (didn't you?) back in the day.

I even recall Charlie Cox on Australian Top Gear saying that the Torana V8 was the ultimate australian car (or words to that effect).

Yes correct !!!! this time I'll agree with you fully :)

I've owned 4 of them, hence they are of special sentimental value to me and ' if ' re-released, I'd buy one just for that reason...

I had:
4 door LC 161 IL6 - 1983-1986
2 door LC GTR XU-1 (highly modified with Chev 350 V8) - 1985-1992
4 door LH SL/R 5000 - 1985-1988
2 door LX Hatchback 308 V8 - 1986-1989

I really hope that if there'll ever be a Torana re-birth, the performance range topper will have a V8 or at least have the twin turbo V6 - that'll be good enough for me :)

Wraith
20th February 2009, 08:31 AM
there were many 4cyl torrys, good ole sunbirds (well, not that good lol)
i much much MUCH prefer the other style, the one that was pink...?

Agree - that was a stunning concept, I too loved it and spent hrs looking at it when it was on dosplay a few years ago...

Here's one for you, I talked to Holden people regarding the possibility of buying that vehicle and even for 500k, they wouldn't sell it :mad3:

I still have access to buying a set of wheels identicle to those fitted to that concept, they are the only 'spare' set made and I know where they are....:devil:

Wraith
20th February 2009, 08:32 AM
LOL... Toranas (or vivas as they were initially called) started as 4 cylinder only.

What I think the story suggests is that Holden may start building a car based off the insignia platform that MAY eventually replaced the ZETA platformed Commodore.

Therefore it would be FWD or available AWD. The Insignia platform has been designed to accept a V8 transversely. There are current UIS GM FWD models (Buicks) that pack the 5.3L LSx V8 or the 4.6 Northstar V8 under the bonnet.

The good ol humble little HB, I once dated a chic who owned one, lets not think about those, just the better ones that followed :D

ASTRAY
20th February 2009, 01:51 PM
Agree - that was a stunning concept, I too loved it and spent hrs looking at it when it was on dosplay a few years ago...

Here's one for you, I talked to Holden people regarding the possibility of buying that vehicle and even for 500k, they wouldn't sell it :mad3:

I still have access to buying a set of wheels identicle to those fitted to that concept, they are the only 'spare' set made and I know where they are....:devil:

500k for a torry is a bit much, even if it is that concept one.
better off loaning me 16k interest free :D

ASTRAY
20th February 2009, 01:57 PM
The good ol humble little HB, I once dated a chic who owned one, lets not think about those, just the better ones that followed :D
dunno the model but one of my mates had a torry, 2dr with a huge ass hatch, greenish and he had kidney bean alloys.
wasnt a car youd go spruking about too much, nothing special really, i think 202, but she would do a mean burnout when your foot commanded her to. diff wasnt locked, but it always done 2 wheelers.

Wraith
20th February 2009, 02:26 PM
500k for a torry is a bit much, even if it is that concept one.
better off loaning me 16k interest free :D

At the time I was ready to 'flog off' one of my investment properties and would've been prepared to sell both I have to cover the purchase - seriously ! it was they (GMH) who suggested in conversation that if sold it would cost someone at least 500k and when I still showed interest then basically I was told, despite the vehicle being fully functional (which it wasn't, not totally anyway, but you could drive it around no probs) it would never be sold, regardless of amount, because it was a one off and for many other obvious reasons...fair enough, when I think of it now I'm happy it didn't happen...would be in serious regret for sure I think :mad2: or maybe not, maybe someone else would want to purchase it for even more ??? :idea:

So investments are still mine and there, phew :cornut:

Would love to loan you 16k, but with the disposable amount of cash I have to play with ATM for another car purchase, if I leant you that amount I won't be able to buy myself one :)

Wraith
20th February 2009, 02:28 PM
dunno the model but one of my mates had a torry, 2dr with a huge ass hatch, greenish and he had kidney bean alloys.
wasnt a car youd go spruking about too much, nothing special really, i think 202, but she would do a mean burnout when your foot commanded her to. diff wasnt locked, but it always done 2 wheelers.

Sounds like either a LH or LX hatchback... ??

ASTRAY
20th February 2009, 05:09 PM
At the time I was ready to 'flog off' one of my investment properties and would've been prepared to sell both I have to cover the purchase - seriously ! it was they (GMH) who suggested in conversation that if sold it would cost someone at least 500k and when I still showed interest then basically I was told, despite the vehicle being fully functional (which it wasn't, not totally anyway, but you could drive it around no probs) it would never be sold, regardless of amount, because it was a one off and for many other obvious reasons...fair enough, when I think of it now I'm happy it didn't happen...would be in serious regret for sure I think :mad2: or maybe not, maybe someone else would want to purchase it for even more ??? :idea:

So investments are still mine and there, phew :cornut:

Would love to loan you 16k, but with the disposable amount of cash I have to play with ATM for another car purchase, if I leant you that amount I won't be able to buy myself one :)

i was thinking the same myself mate, as soon as youd bought it and news had spread that it had been sold to the public, id say there would have been others with much deeper pockets knocking on your door, or trying to find your door to knock on.

re 16k: was really a tongue in cheek comment mate, but thanks for the generosity.

disposable cash? whats that? :p

Wraith
21st February 2009, 12:56 AM
i was thinking the same myself mate, as soon as youd bought it and news had spread that it had been sold to the public, id say there would have been others with much deeper pockets knocking on your door, or trying to find your door to knock on.

re 16k: was really a tongue in cheek comment mate, but thanks for the generosity.

disposable cash? whats that? :p

Yeh I know just joking along with you :)

Hmmm, don't know about people wanting that car bad enough to come knocking at your door, but would definitely cause and grab attention where ever you'd be if you were seen driving that pink TT Torana concept around...

As for disposable cash, man don't we all wish we had more...

Here's some reminder pics, I've got the whole collection and even had it in my sig and avatar pics for ages when it was released :)

http://i44.tinypic.com/ruvdkh.jpg

http://i43.tinypic.com/24lr8mw.jpg

http://i40.tinypic.com/103bhuc.jpg

Shay
21st February 2009, 01:01 AM
im not a huge fan even of that one, just looks like a small VE and yes im aware it came first.

still love the old bolt on body look

ASTRAY
21st February 2009, 01:54 AM
im not a huge fan even of that one, just looks like a small VE and yes im aware it came first.

slr5000 ftw!
about the only green cars ive liked.

Shay
21st February 2009, 02:01 AM
slr5000 ftw!
about the only green cars ive liked.

slr 8000 on prev page ftw
aka litre 8

insanegrunt
21st February 2009, 10:53 AM
I like the design! looks good.

BUT i would not call it a Torana. I think they should just let the Torana name rest!

Neeko
21st February 2009, 12:47 PM
it got my attention in 2005...

http://i451.photobucket.com/albums/qq238/nicolaim88/100_2680.jpg

http://i451.photobucket.com/albums/qq238/nicolaim88/100_2677.jpg

http://i451.photobucket.com/albums/qq238/nicolaim88/100_2662.jpg

HappySlapper82
21st February 2009, 01:32 PM

lmao - did they just nab that brake booster and m/cylinder from an old torry out the back? :D

Neeko
21st February 2009, 02:09 PM
lmao - did they just nab that brake booster and m/cylinder from an old torry out the back? :D

just noticed that too... looks HUGE

glider
21st February 2009, 03:59 PM
you'll probably find they nabbed it out of the present day commodore since that just looks like a face lifted one

hazrd
21st February 2009, 06:00 PM
lol +1 toby

Wraith
22nd February 2009, 01:17 PM

AFAIK, it was actually used by GMH at the 2005 displays to gauge acceptance of the VE new shape before they released it, as it was based alot on the VE's design :)

Wraith
22nd February 2009, 01:19 PM

http://i451.photobucket.com/albums/qq238/nicolaim88/100_2677.jpg

http://i451.photobucket.com/albums/qq238/nicolaim88/100_2662.jpg

Got mine too... :)

Was gaping at it for at least one hr non-stop at 1st sight, took dozens of pics and then kept coming back to it time and time again whilst I was there at that 2005 Melb. motor show...

MatsHolden
22nd February 2009, 01:20 PM
AFAIK, it was actually used by GMH at the 2005 displays to gauge acceptance of the VE new shape before they released it, as it was based alot on the VE's design :)

That's exactly what the TT36 was used for. If you look at the interior, it's pretty much pure VE.

ASTRAY
22nd February 2009, 03:05 PM
i thought it was unveiled same time as the monaro concept... and i think that was 2000ish
i could be totally wrong.
maybe it was unveiled when the efijy was unveiled...

daiflu
22nd February 2009, 03:05 PM
Was gaping at it for at least one hr non-stop at 1st sight, took dozens of pics and then kept coming back to it time and time again whilst I was there at that 2005 Melb. motor show...

You can have a reunion and reminisce, as it’s kept in the GMHA “Hall of Heroes” at the Salmon St headquarters. I see this thing on a weekly basis ;)

Edit: might be called the "Gallery of Heroes" I don't pay too much attention to the name; something cheesy like that anyway.

MatsHolden
22nd February 2009, 03:54 PM
i thought it was unveiled same time as the monaro concept... and i think that was 2000ish

VT Coupe Concept was '99. TT36 was well after in '04. Efijy was '05.

Wraith
22nd February 2009, 04:10 PM

Nope, not that early :nono: see Mats post :)

Wraith
22nd February 2009, 04:11 PM
You can have a reunion and reminisce, as it’s kept in the GMHA “Hall of Heroes” at the Salmon St headquarters. I see this thing on a weekly basis ;)

Edit: might be called the "Gallery of Heroes" I don't pay too much attention to the name; something cheesy like that anyway.

I'd only try and steal it, so I'd better keep away :swg:

ASTRAY
22nd February 2009, 05:35 PM
VT Coupe Concept was '99. TT36 was well after in '04. Efijy was '05.

cheers for clearing that up mate.

sorry wraith, wasnt completely sure.:)

ASTRAY
22nd February 2009, 05:36 PM
I'd only try and steal it, so I'd better keep away :swg:

or make a mess of it.... ;)

Wraith
23rd February 2009, 08:50 AM
cheers for clearing that up mate.

sorry wraith, wasnt completely sure.:)

That's ok jay, no need for apologies :)

Wraith
23rd February 2009, 08:52 AM
or make a mess of it.... ;)

Damn, you know me well, I would indeed and then I wouldn't be able to escape because of the pain in my nuts :blush: :D

Neeko
23rd February 2009, 11:41 AM
Got mine too... :)

the initial thing that drew my attention was the incredible sound quality coming from the holden area. Only to find out the torana was playing "Yeah Yeah by the bodyrox" through its amazing sound system.

Wraith
23rd February 2009, 12:44 PM
the initial thing that drew my attention was the incredible sound quality coming from the holden area. Only to find out the torana was playing "Yeah Yeah by the bodyrox" through its amazing sound system.

Really ???

I knew of it being there so had planned to view it in the flesh :)

Was every bit as good as I thought it'd be too...only thing I didn't like was that it was a bit large and not a 2 door coupe, but still thought enough of it to want to buy it :o looking back at it now, I don't like it as much anymore, but then the VE Commodore hadn't been released yet and it's probably the similarity to that and being common as they are thats put me off it the most...

Neeko
23rd February 2009, 12:58 PM
Really ???

I knew of it being there so had planned to view it in the flesh :)

Was every bit as good as I thought it'd be too...only thing I didn't like was that it was a bit large and not a 2 door coupe, but still thought enough of it to want to buy it :o looking back at it now, I don't like it as much anymore, but then the VE Commodore hadn't been released yet and it's probably the similarity to that and being common as they are thats put me off it the most...

haha yeah really. i stood by the car not only admiring the looks but also sounds system. then i saw white interior thinking "if i owned that car i would provide clothes including gloves and socks for eveyone that ever entered my car"

hey bit off topic but would you know why the Brisbane Motorshow is cancelled?

Wraith
23rd February 2009, 01:18 PM
^^^^ No no idea ???

But maybe because some manufacturers are a no go and sponsorship/support money to host the event is not enough ???

Neeko
23rd February 2009, 01:24 PM
^^^^ No no idea ???

But maybe because some manufacturers are a no go and sponsorship/support money to host the event is not enough ???

such a shame, i look forward to the motorshow every year

Wraith
23rd February 2009, 01:27 PM
such a shame, i look forward to the motorshow every year

So do I !!!

A one must do thing for me every year, if it wasn't on here, I'd be furious big time :mad: :mad2: :mad3: :devil:

Thankfully it is :smile2: and it starts later this week on the same day as my BDay WOOOOHOOOO :D

rjastra
23rd February 2009, 03:51 PM
So do I !!!

A one must do thing for me every year, if it wasn't on here, I'd be furious big time :mad: :mad2: :mad3: :devil:

Thankfully it is :smile2: and it starts later this week on the same day as my BDay WOOOOHOOOO :D

next year I think Sydney gets it and Melbourne misses out.

Wraith
23rd February 2009, 04:32 PM

Oh crap - now I'm upset a whole year before hand... :mad3:

So why Sydney again and not Brisbane for missing out this year ???

ASTRAY
23rd February 2009, 04:36 PM
Damn, you know me well, I would indeed and then I wouldn't be able to escape because of the pain in my nuts :blush: :D
youd then have to pay for replacement of the messed up bits, and perhaps get the messed up bits for yourself,
you might not get the whole car, but at least youd have the seats :p

btm
23rd February 2009, 04:39 PM
makes sense to only have it in one place in this country. cost a fortune to run in a few different cities

Wraith
23rd February 2009, 04:41 PM
youd then have to pay for replacement of the messed up bits, and perhaps get the messed up bits for yourself,
you might not get the whole car, but at least youd have the seats :p

Hey, that's an idea if I mess it up good, they'll probabaly just let me have it...:lol:

ASTRAY
23rd February 2009, 04:45 PM
Hey, that's an idea if I mess it up good, they'll probabaly just let me have it...:lol:

and then you will have all the other torry lovers after you cos you messed it up :shocked:

Wraith
23rd February 2009, 04:55 PM
and then you will have all the other torry lovers after you cos you messed it up :shocked:

LOL don't think they'd mind, as long as I take it out and let em check it out all over again :)

ASTRAY
23rd February 2009, 05:16 PM
LOL don't think they'd mind, as long as I take it out and let em check it out all over again :)
lol, ok, but dont turn your back cos
1) it might disappear
2) someone else might mess it up
3) many others might mess it up all at the same time... then those white seats will turn a creamy white....

i already wish i hadnt typed number 3....

Wraith
24th February 2009, 08:44 AM
lol, ok, but dont turn your back cos
1) it might disappear
2) someone else might mess it up
3) many others might mess it up all at the same time... then those white seats will turn a creamy white....

i already wish i hadnt typed number 3....

I was actually thinking that at the beginning of all of this, ie: the seats are white, so a pants accident wouldn't be so bad...:o LOL

However I think your right with point 1 above, someone would try and steal it for sure :mad: hell I would too :o :D

ASTRAY
24th February 2009, 08:40 PM
I was actually thinking that at the beginning of all of this, ie: the seats are white, so a pants accident wouldn't be so bad...:o LOL

However I think your right with point 1 above, someone would try and steal it for sure :mad: hell I would too :o :D

no one trust wraith, hes a theif! lol. well, a would be theif...

Wraith
25th February 2009, 12:18 PM
no one trust wraith, hes a theif! lol. well, a would be theif...

Hell yeh, if you put a vehicle like this or anyone of those in my sig' wish list in front of me - I'm gonna flog em... :lol:

Add the TT-RS to that as well, if I eventually take one for a test drive, I'm going to do what I wanted to do when I test drove the TTS, kick the stealer out of the passenger side with a boot to the side of the head and keep driving...hahahahaha :dita:

ASTRAY
25th February 2009, 05:17 PM
Hell yeh, if you put a vehicle like this or anyone of those in my sig' wish list in front of me - I'm gonna flog em... :lol:

Add the TT-RS to that as well, if I eventually take one for a test drive, I'm going to do what I wanted to do when I test drove the TTS, kick the stealer out of the passenger side with a boot to the side of the head and keep driving...hahahahaha :dita:
tell us more :yikes:

Shay
25th February 2009, 05:20 PM
im intrigued also :confused:

Wraith
25th February 2009, 09:57 PM
Are you guys referring to my test drive experience with the Audi TTS ???

If so, you probably missed my write up, was October last year :)

Current and ever tougher/worsening economic climate has forced me to put this on hold for now :( see how we go over the next 6-12 months though...

Link: http://www.opelaus.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18565

Shay
25th February 2009, 11:22 PM
was a real good write up mate

ASTRAY
26th February 2009, 12:23 AM
When the missus and I rocked up for the test drive, I did tell her if you see the salesman walking back with a boot mark on the side of his head, it means I've 'ejected' him out of the car - get ready for me to come round the corner and pick you up and we're driving off with the thing :D

But then I remembered I'd already given them my licence DOH :doh:

Should've thought of that in advance and made a fake one :D

lol, i actualy thought you had done it, when you mentioned it in this thread...

Wraith
26th February 2009, 11:10 AM
was a real good write up mate

Thanks Shay, I test drove it a 2nd time for alot longer and then went straight over to BMW for a back to back session with the 135i....very interesting comparison, didn't write that one up as I thought people had enough of the 1st thread :)

Suffice to say, the TT with this new TTS variant has finally come of age...the 135i was very good, but left me no impression of wanting to opt for it, instead of the TTS, that's all I can say, could just imagine how good this newer TTRS would be to drive, on paper it looks awesome...actually so is the exhaust note...

Here's the sound clip again for anyone who missed it in the other posts :)

http://www.fourtitude.com/blog/tt_rs_engine_sound.mp3

Wraith
26th February 2009, 11:14 AM
lol, i actualy thought you had done it, when you mentioned it in this thread...

No, just seriously considered it, especially after that particular stealer wouldn't budge on price :deadhorse: he deserved a good kick in the head :mad:

2nd one I went to was more negotiable :)