PDA

View Full Version : General Motors to slash 47,000 jobs

btm
18th February 2009, 01:15 PM
http://business.smh.com.au/business/general-motors-to-slash-47000-jobs-20090218-8axq.html

General Motors to slash 47,000 jobs

The parent company of Australian carmaker General Motors Holden will slash 47,000 jobs worldwide in the coming year, but it remains unclear how many local positions are under threat.

General Motors will lay off 26,000 workers outside the US as part of a plan to remake the company in exchange for massive financial aid, according to a document lodged this morning with the US Treasury.

But the carmaker says it expects Holden to remain viable, in part because of assistance extended by the Australian Government.

Holden's plans for a new, more fuel-efficient car, financed with government help, should ensure that Holden remains a profitable arm of GM worldwide, the company said.

But it remains unclear if Holden will need to lay off a number of local workers as part of the global cost-cutting drive. A spokesman has not yet returned smh.com.au's calls.

The survival of the global carmaker is far from certain.

GM has lodged restructuring plans with the US Treasury as a condition of a temporary multi-billion dollar survival loan.

With sales plummetting, GM could need a $US30 billion crutch from the US Government by 2011, the Treasury filing asserted.

The company is also asking for help from the governments of Canada, Germany, the UK, Sweden and Thailand.

xplosv57
18th February 2009, 01:24 PM
Well from what i heard, Holden's manufacturing plant was closed for an extended period of time to cut costs, remember seeing it on the news few days ago, ill try and find more info!!

dieselhead
18th February 2009, 03:08 PM
How many workers in Elizabeth? Must be less than 27,000... This is bad, very bad. I haven't seen any many in Rudd's fookin stimulus package though.

Senor Ed
18th February 2009, 03:21 PM
When I worked at holden, they employed around 8000 (white collar and blue collar combined) australia wide....

Now i think after all the redundancies, they have around 6000 workers

daiflu
18th February 2009, 03:42 PM
Yea, I think there's around 2,000 in production at Elizabeth at the moment.

stevedee3
18th February 2009, 08:02 PM
Well from what i heard, Holden's manufacturing plant was closed for an extended period of time to cut costs, remember seeing it on the news few days ago, ill try and find more info!!I think it was more due to reduced demand for their cars.

Wraith
18th February 2009, 10:20 PM
Not good times for car manufacturers...

Anyone else see the add going ATM on TV for Mercedes Benz ??

They say they need to 'clear' 2,225 cars in 50 days !!!

So "come in and talk to us" :eek:

Don't think they'll ever be a better time than this to score a deal on a nice Merc. ie: if you want or can afford one even at reduced cost...

daaaaavek
18th February 2009, 11:46 PM
https://www.partcatalog.com/page/gm-fastlane-blog