PDA

View Full Version : Nearly Bought a new car

scotty_gsi
16th February 2009, 04:13 PM
soo close to buying it it was a 1998 peugeot 306 gti6 6 spd manual in burgundy went to have a look at it on sunday paint was in pretty average condition had 240,000k's :yikes: n had a bit of not so appealing noise :( bit of a shame but o well

Wraith
16th February 2009, 04:20 PM
That is a shame if you had your heart set on it...

Surely there would be other S/H examples around in better condition/lower mileage than that ???

If it's what you really want, keep looking, S/H cars of that vintage out there are a buyers market in terms of price because of the economic climate, you might get very lucky ;)

nadg63
16th February 2009, 09:10 PM
The 306 GTi6 was a very good car in it's day, in fact when I bought my WRX back in '99 the alternative was one of those, the Subaru won out on having more tuning potential down the track plus a much nicer interior - the Pug was quite bland in comparison.

For a front wheel drive car the GTi6 Pug handled pretty well as it had passive rear wheel steering - you could actually feel it tightening up steering wise when pushed through a corner.

The Maxi version, (wide body kit), looked real tidy.

http://i95.photobucket.com/albums/l137/nadg63/cat306-2-2.jpg

d.c.
17th February 2009, 12:49 PM
The 306 GTi6 was a very good car in it's day, in fact when I bought my WRX back in '99 the alternative was one of those, the Subaru won out on having more tuning potential down the track plus a much nicer interior - the Pug was quite bland in comparison.

For a front wheel drive car the GTi6 Pug handled pretty well as it had passive rear wheel steering - you could actually feel it tightening up steering wise when pushed through a corner.

The Maxi version, (wide body kit), looked real tidy.

http://i95.photobucket.com/albums/l137/nadg63/cat306-2-2.jpg

Still one of the coolest looking rally cars ever and when it used to run on tarmac it would often out pace many of the 4WD turbo cars of the day even though it was only a FWD NA 2Lt.

If you can find a good one go for it, maintenance may be highish but I think it would be worth it.