PDA

View Full Version : Camaro will not be available in RHD

Calibrated
16th February 2009, 11:44 AM
http://www.autocar.co.uk/News/NewsArticle/Chevrolet-Concepts/238165/

GM has ditched plans to offer a right-hand drive version of the Chevrolet Camaro in the UK when the car is launched in 2011.
Autocar has learned that Chevrolet has abandoned plans to build the new Chevrolet Camaro muscle car in right-hand drive, and will bring in significantly fewer models than initially thought.
Tooling for the right-hand-drive Chevrolet Camaro was already underway, but will now be cancelled in order to help preserve GM’s dwindling cash stocks.
Just 100 Chevrolet Camaros will be imported – 50 coupes and 50 convertibles – in order to keep numbers below the threshold for type-approval regulations.
All UK-bound Chevrolet Camaros will get the 500bhp 6.2-litre V8 Corvette engine; the US-market entry-level 296bhp V6 model will not be available.
Despite the small number of imports, Chevrolet believes it will still make a profit thanks to the car’s £35k price tag, much more than the car costs in the US.
Last month Chevrolet revealed it had received 10,000 advanced orders for the new Camaro in the US.

this sucks :(

Senor Ed
16th February 2009, 11:46 AM
yep looks like the Nissan 370Z just went to the top of my next car list.

I'm both :( and :)

sooty
16th February 2009, 12:07 PM
Steve is going to be shattered...

MatsHolden
16th February 2009, 12:11 PM
Shithouse. Considering it's more Australian than American!

Calibrated
16th February 2009, 12:18 PM
was thinking the same thing when i first read it

xplosv57
16th February 2009, 12:22 PM

Nah not really, nothing a RHD conversion can't fix!!!

Wraith
16th February 2009, 01:50 PM
Agree, that sucks :(

Nissan 370Z would be a very good alternative as senor Ed has stated, but still they are two totally different animals...pity for all those people who were really looking forward to one of these cars :nonod:

Wraith
16th February 2009, 01:53 PM
Nah not really, nothing a RHD conversion can't fix!!!

That's true, BUT it'll end up costing alot more than what it normally would have...that coupled with the all the effort involved will probably only make a few people go for that option...:(

btm
16th February 2009, 02:05 PM
that is a bit dissapointing

rjastra
16th February 2009, 11:20 PM
Welcome to the new world order. Delayed or cancelled models. No one with money to buy them.

There would be quite a few of the people on this site who have never experienced a recession. Only the boom-times.
Buying cars will be the last thing on people's minds in 6 months time. :(

Wraith
17th February 2009, 09:26 AM
Welcome to the new world order. Delayed or cancelled models. No one with money to buy them.

There would be quite a few of the people on this site who have never experienced a recession. Only the boom-times.
Buying cars will be the last thing on people's minds in 6 months time. :(

It's the last thing on alot of peoples minds ATM and from several months ago too and I agree, by the end of this year it'll be worse...I've pulled back on my intention of a 6 figure car purchase because of the state of the economy causing grave concerns about my job security :nonod:

I've been through economic times like this before and also had to put up with boom times, but with mortgage interest rates at nearly 20% on the other side of the spectrum, certainly not fun times at all and what's going on ATM is going to be around for some time yet...damn shame.

There's an email doing the rounds ATM showing pictures of most major car brands storage/holding yards and they're full/packed out and overflowing with vehicles sitting dormant and not selling...so if your in the matket or able to buy a new car, you have the chance to score on price, dealers are struggling, so the ability to strike a bargain is there for the taking !!! probably the best thing about this whole economic mess...

cdxi
17th February 2009, 02:41 PM
Interesting that the rumour mill says that Holden's big surprise for the Melbourne Motor Show is a Holden (yes, Holden) Camaro.

A guy on the LS1 forum insists that he has seen the Holden press release confirming the Holden product and that RHD Camaro and Camaro SS models will be on sale here by the end of the year.

He even believes that the RHD version will be built here in Aus.

rjastra
17th February 2009, 03:46 PM
Interesting that the rumour mill says that Holden's big surprise for the Melbourne Motor Show is a Holden (yes, Holden) Camaro.

A guy on the LS1 forum insists that he has seen the Holden press release confirming the Holden product and that RHD Camaro and Camaro SS models will be on sale here by the end of the year.

He even believes that the RHD version will be built here in Aus.

Then he is a fool :) They showed the Cadillac at the Sydney motorshow in production trim and it never appeared.

xplosv57
17th February 2009, 03:53 PM
I might hold off till the Hennessy version of the Camaro is released...............

http://www.expertmotor.com/images/news/01/Camaro-HPE700-tuning-Hennessey-Performance/Camaro-HPE700-tuning-Hennessey.jpg

Yep that is the superchrged 6.2l LS9 that's sitting under (and out of) the bonnet which produces 532kW/970nM, it's gonna be offered as an upgrade kit including ZR1 brakes and suspension to match!!!

Wraith
17th February 2009, 03:57 PM
I might hold off till the Hennessy version of the Camaro is released...............

http://www.expertmotor.com/images/news/01/Camaro-HPE700-tuning-Hennessey-Performance/Camaro-HPE700-tuning-Hennessey.jpg

Yep that is the superchrged 6.2l LS9 that's sitting under (and out of) the bonnet which produces 532kW/970nM, it's gonna be offered as an upgrade kit including ZR1 brakes and suspension to match!!!

Holy crap :yikes: what a beast/animal of a car that will be...

If you get one, I'm going to steal that engine !!!!!!

I have a never ending wet dream just thinking about that LS9 aaaaarrrrrrgggghhhhh :devil:

sooty
17th February 2009, 05:13 PM
my god that thing is sex on wheels:eek:
and imagine driving it!!!

rjastra
18th February 2009, 09:44 AM
GM had developed a Z/28 version of the new Camaro fitted with the 6.2L supercharged engine (same spec as the one used by Cadillac). They are not sure if the timing is right to release it, so it may never appear :(

http://image.motortrend.com/f/features/auto_news/2009/16929811+pheader/112_0904_02l+chevrolet_camaro_ss+rendering.jpg

tenji`
18th February 2009, 12:20 PM
Ive already seen the new camaro on the streets. Spotted it out berwick way on the monash.

:)

Wraith
18th February 2009, 12:59 PM
Ive already seen the new camaro on the streets. Spotted it out berwick way on the monash.

:)

AFAIK that 'mule' has been spotted and mentioned before...I believe that and all other local mules are LHD's... :)

tenji`
18th February 2009, 01:00 PM
Yeah i dunno what side the steering was as i was driving in the opposit direction. It wasnt covered up or anything though Burgandy coloured one from memory.

Wraith
18th February 2009, 01:02 PM
Yeah i dunno what side the steering was as i was driving in the opposit direction. It wasnt covered up or anything though Burgandy coloured one from memory.

Seen 2 myself, both LHD but havn't seen a burgandy one - maybe different ?? :)

tenji`
18th February 2009, 01:09 PM
What colour did you see?

Where they covered up or anything?

sooty
18th February 2009, 01:12 PM
This vert version has been spotted before...
http://www.opelaus.com/forums/showthread.php?t=17955&highlight=camaro

xplosv57
18th February 2009, 01:13 PM
I've also driven next to the black coupe test mule on numerous occasions (and no i do not follow him home!!)

tenji`
18th February 2009, 02:35 PM
ahh convertible.

One i saw was a hardtop.

MatsHolden
18th February 2009, 02:38 PM
Seen the hardtop mules a fair bit. Usually black or white.

Wraith
18th February 2009, 04:01 PM
What colour did you see?

Where they covered up or anything?

Both white, both LHD, one with markings/writing indicating so on the bumpers, no covering up on any part of them :)

Wraith
18th February 2009, 04:03 PM
I've also driven next to the black coupe test mule on numerous occasions (and no i do not follow him home!!)

Would you tell us if you did :lol:

Don't worry Steve, we won't tell if you've got a 'missing' Camaro mule in your garage :D

cdxi
19th February 2009, 03:48 PM

The guy on the LS1 forum produced a pic of a burgundy Camaro on a Melbourne freeway where you can clearly see it is RHD.

Unless you reverse the pic and it is LHD.

And, unless you look hard at the lower edge of the rear bumper and notice the (printed in reverse, of course) first letters of "LEFT HAND DRIVE)

Wraith
19th February 2009, 04:36 PM
Yep, that's the one ^^^^

LHD test mules will have it written on their bumpers (mostly rear ones) as I've also noted :)

Noir
19th February 2009, 08:44 PM

Yeah...this car will get you laid.

poita
19th February 2009, 11:32 PM
Yeah...this car will get you laid.

so buying one

Wraith
20th February 2009, 09:15 AM
so buying one

+ 1 so am I now :D

If Amanda says so, I believe it :swg: