PDA

View Full Version : Stroker Kits

poita
15th February 2009, 12:39 AM
Anyone know of any for opel motors?
In particular the X20XEV?

auzvectra
15th February 2009, 05:21 AM
the 2.2L has a longer bore then the 2.0L pete, just get a C22SEL bottom end from bennets n stick ur head on it ;).

poita
15th February 2009, 12:48 PM
interesting......

auzvectra
15th February 2009, 03:42 PM
a c22sel bottom end just cost me 300 from them ;). plus postage, think that was bout 100.

Wraith
16th February 2009, 08:30 AM
Have you done a search over the net, or maybe posted the question on some U.K sites Pete, I 'm sure I've come across a few when I was looking at engine mods years ago...

AFAIK even mobs like Regals or Courtenays would have them, no doubt they'll cost a small fortune from those tuners, plus the freight won't be cheap on such heavy items...

Although you never know, with the U.K economy going down the toilet ATM, you might score a bargain buy ??

auzvectra
16th February 2009, 03:23 PM
well u could simply grab a C22SEL crank, n get custom rods.
i'm sure PPM would do them for a lil extra. just means they'd need to shrink the legnth of their rods in cad. pretty easy to do. just means a setup fee for a 1 off item.

Wraith
16th February 2009, 03:40 PM
well u could simply grab a C22SEL crank, n get custom rods.
i'm sure PPM would do them for a lil extra. just means they'd need to shrink the legnth of their rods in cad. pretty easy to do. just means a setup fee for a 1 off item.

It'll be alot more work than just a re-sizing on CAD, that's the easy part :)

Whenever a variation like that is made to any existing part/component, it'll need a whole set of new tooling to manufacture the item, that's the hard and 'expensive' part, especially for a one off order...it'll cost a mint :eek:

I've had quotes for one off items of many types, front door one piece glass and headlight glass lenses for eg: amongst other things and the tooling costs for those were astronomical, I'm talking thousands and for some items 10's of thousands, because of it being 'one off' and not mass production, the tooling costs would have to be covered, not just the cost of the end item, I'd imagine connecting rod manufacturing tooling won't be any cheaper...

Best to try find connecting rods off the shelf or from some other engine that'll do the job :)

poita
16th February 2009, 03:43 PM
if its that much trouble, i dont think i'll worry :)

thanks guys

Wraith
16th February 2009, 03:46 PM
if its that much trouble, i dont think i'll worry :)

thanks guys

I'd still try doing a search Pete and check and see if the U.K Cali boys have anything...

You may get lucky :)

poita
16th February 2009, 03:52 PM
i will still be looking into it Ange ;)

wont be going down the custom everything path, need to rob some banks first lol

InsaneAsylum
16th February 2009, 04:09 PM
is there a frontera 2.4L somewhere in the world which is based on the same block as the X20, Z20 and C22 block?

poita
16th February 2009, 04:24 PM
2.0 L (1998cc) SOHC petrol (engine codes C20NE to 1994, X20SE from 1995)
2.2 L (2198cc) DOHC petrol (engine code X22XE)
2.4 L (2410cc) SOHC petrol (engine code C24NE)

2.3 L (2260cc) SOHC turbo-diesel (engine code 23DTR)
2.5 L (2499cc) OHV turbo-diesel (engine code VM41B)
2.8 L (2771cc) OHV turbo-diesel (engine code 4JB1T)

auzvectra
16th February 2009, 04:29 PM
the rodeo 2.4L would be almost identicle block wise ;).

because they are already setup to make them down there, and have altered the drawings for me already, i dont think it would be that much more in this case. but u neva know ;).

i wont debate with u but ang, u've had more experience then me in the hi-po area ;).
just commenting from what i have run across.

although i did make it sound a lil easier then it would be.

auzvectra
16th February 2009, 04:31 PM
c24se is in the rodeo too pete ;).

hhmmm, considers the compatability of the 2.8L bottom end to the Zlet :D.

poita
16th February 2009, 04:39 PM
ok im pretty dumb when it comes to this type of stuff, hence the questions

your telling me PPM (whoe ever they are) have rods that would allow me to put the 2.2 X22 bottom end onto the spare X20 head i have here?

or could i use a c24 bottom and x20 head? to get a 2.4l 4 banger cally?

Wraith
16th February 2009, 04:47 PM
the rodeo 2.4L would be almost identicle block wise ;).

because they are already setup to make them down there, and have altered the drawings for me already, i dont think it would be that much more in this case. but u neva know ;).

i wont debate with u but ang, u've had more experience then me in the hi-po area ;).
just commenting from what i have run across.

although i did make it sound a lil easier then it would be.

No probs Auz. also just trying to help with what I know, if you can get em made up for a good/reasonable price, that's fantastic... :)

Alologies for the useless post which dosn't answer any of your questions Pete, but you'll get there :smile2:

auzvectra
16th February 2009, 06:04 PM
prob sounded like i was havein a go at ya ang, i was tryin to make it sound like i wasnt.

ok, the c22sel bottom end will go strait under ur head. if u want stronger rods for it, ppm have them (pure perfromance motorsport) and pistons too sourced thru wossner in germany. although they were in the process of getting their own sorted.

they are hard to get ahold of and are slow at times, but i can vouch for the quality.

i havent tried it, but i belive the 2.4L bottom end will bolt up aswell, for this you may need new rods depending on the power u require, and if you can get dohc pistons for them.

i belive there is a 2.4L dohc in SA in the veccy??? X24XE maybe?

poita
16th February 2009, 06:18 PM
hmmm couple of UK guys have X24XE in there astras.

and looking further they are from saturns in the states

poita
16th February 2009, 06:24 PM
does this help you mate?

cause its just confused me more

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GM_Family_II_engine

auzvectra
16th February 2009, 09:00 PM
is it the X24XE or the 2.4L version of the Z22SE?? as that motor was in the saturn.

poita
16th February 2009, 09:16 PM
i could find this

GM Family II engine - LE5
The LE5 is a larger 2.4 l (2384 cc) version of the Ecotec. Both the 88 mm bore and 98 mm stroke are larger, and Variable Valve Timing improves low-end torque. Power is 170 hp (127 kW) and torque is 170 ft·lbf (230 Nm). The engine uses enfored "Gen II" block.

The LE5 is used/will be used in:

2006 Chevrolet Cobalt
2006 Pontiac Solstice
2006 Saturn Sky
2006 Saturn ION
2006 Pontiac G6
2006 Pontiac Pursuit
2006 Chevrolet HHR
2007 Saturn Aura

auzvectra
16th February 2009, 09:23 PM
sounds like it, best to ask daaaaavek that 1 ;). he'll know.

poita
16th February 2009, 09:28 PM
yer i might harrass him also :)

but at this stage i'm not that keen anyway, im not up for importing an engine from the US to just pull apart as a 'maybe it will work' thing lol

auzvectra
16th February 2009, 10:50 PM
oh that 2.4L wont work, chain timing, alloy block. diff design ;).
but i can say the C22SEL bottom end is easy to do ;).

poita
16th February 2009, 10:55 PM
so i could use the C22 bottom ed then, what about the X22 bottom?
any differences that you know of?

auzvectra
16th February 2009, 11:08 PM
dont know of the avaliability of the X22, but the C22 was in the veccy b here, n is cheap ;).
yes it bolts strait in, i'm sure the X22 would too. but did it get to aus???
oh and the C22 has like 9.6:1 comp too ;).

poita
16th February 2009, 11:13 PM
awesome mate, thank you.

i shall be doing some more homework on this me thinks.

auzvectra
17th February 2009, 12:06 AM
well when if the time comes, i have done it once n will be doing it again very soon, so let me know if u need ne help with it ;).

prob the trickiest bit is the timing belt, i think i used the 2.0L one and just had to turn the water pump back a lil to counteract the 7mm (think it was 7mm) longer block ;).

poita
17th February 2009, 12:08 AM
it will be a long thing for me, im just gathering what info i need first.

but i will harass you in the future no doubt :p

auzvectra
17th February 2009, 12:18 AM
haha, all good ;).

poita
17th February 2009, 12:35 AM
oh what i wanted to ask you.

what sort of gains over teh 2L are expected, in stock form?

more torque? more overall power?
also teh availability to get aftermarket parts, considering the C22 i only in teh aussie veccy bs

auzvectra
17th February 2009, 12:58 AM
very lil extra kw, but yes extra torque.

what sork of parts u talkin??
they run shorter rods then the 2.0L, the same pistons. rings beaings the same. head's the same, water pump, oil pump, all the same. the full gasket kit is actually the same kit too ;).

mr corsa
17th February 2009, 09:03 AM
or you could borrow my chev 2.1lt

poita
17th February 2009, 01:26 PM
very lil extra kw, but yes extra torque.

what sork of parts u talkin??
they run shorter rods then the 2.0L, the same pistons. rings beaings the same. head's the same, water pump, oil pump, all the same. the full gasket kit is actually the same kit too ;).

so the rods, are they something that has to get made?
or can be used out of a different model?

or you could borrow my chev 2.1lt

i will be round with the trailer shortly ;)

KID_SRi
17th February 2009, 06:47 PM
Why buy a Aftermarket Stroked Crank.
Get a X20XEV Crank ground off Centre @ A Engine Machine Shop(While your @ It, Get it Balanced/Blueprinted ;) ), Use thicker Main Bearing Shells & Get Shorter Balanced/Blueprinted Rods.
The alot less hassle and Cheaper than the Pom Stroker Cranks that will need the Oil gallaries opened up anyway.

auzvectra
17th February 2009, 07:50 PM
you use the 2.2L rods ;).
just depends how much hp u want if they will hold up.
if u want more hp then get the 2.2L rods from ppm, and pistons.