PDA

View Full Version : Who else thinks...

Jerram
13th February 2009, 11:42 PM
That the Holden badge is possibly the ugliest thing to ever have been stuck on the front of an opel?

It's so big, and so terrible!

Any opel gains many cool points just by someone getting rid of it.

Nurb608
14th February 2009, 12:01 AM
I think the griffin is just the same as the holden badge, too busy in design, thats why the opel badge looks so nice, simple in design.

USC
14th February 2009, 12:16 AM
Its not the ugliest.

Ugliest would have to be hyundai or daewoo.

One of my favourites is the Audi badge.

Jerram
14th February 2009, 12:34 AM
yeah but do they put those badges on Opels?

Nurb608
14th February 2009, 12:52 AM
They do with the griffin.

USC
14th February 2009, 01:47 AM
yeah but do they put those badges on Opels?

They dont.

I dont like any of the opel badges. The blitz is prob. the more passable one.

In the US, they have the chev badge or something on the astra I think...cant remember which one it was.

tomtom
14th February 2009, 01:52 PM
I think the griffin is just the same as the holden badge, too busy in design, thats why the opel badge looks so nice, simple in design.

+1

Also you can tell people "I have ****ing lightning bolts on my car. THIS AINT WUT YU WANT PUNK".

Lightning > Little Lion

tomtom
14th February 2009, 01:54 PM
They dont.

I dont like any of the opel badges. The blitz is prob. the more passable one.

In the US, they have the chev badge or something on the astra I think...cant remember which one it was.

Saturn

http://stadium.weblogsinc.com/autoblog/hirezpics/08SaturnAstra.jpg

John_LS1
14th February 2009, 02:06 PM
Its only a badge, if you dont like it change it or remove it completly.

so much hate towards a peice of plastic chrome lion...lol

Jerram
14th February 2009, 02:12 PM
Yeah, but it's just that imho it does so much to lower the entire look of the car.

It's not like they'd want to change it though. It looks alright on the things they make (common-whore).

tomtom
14th February 2009, 02:45 PM
Yeah, but it's just that imho it does so much to lower the entire look of the car.

It's not like they'd want to change it though. It looks alright on the things they make (common-whore).

Definitely. I've got 2 AH's in the garage - one with lion, one with LIGHTNING FKN BOLT and the latter looks so much better.

It's a pure visual preference thing - I have nothing against holden ( so to speak ).

Heck, I'm going to go take a quick picture to show the comparison.

EL BURITO
14th February 2009, 02:48 PM
Who else thinks...

some times but it really hurts

tomtom
14th February 2009, 03:00 PM
http://img87.imageshack.us/img87/540/img0308sqk8.jpg

It started raining so I just snapped it real quick. Doesn't really make my point I don't think lol. Regardless, theres 2 Ah's side by side with differing badges.

Shaun
14th February 2009, 03:43 PM
Definitely. I've got 2 AH's in the garage - one with lion, one with LIGHTNING FKN BOLT and the latter looks so much better.

It's a pure visual preference thing - I have nothing against holden ( so to speak ).

Heck, I'm going to go take a quick picture to show the comparison.

Its not actually a Lighting Bolt. its called a Blitz.

As for size. I think you will find they are the same diamater.....

You can change the badge as much as you like at the end of the day it still known as a HOLDEN regardless what badge is on the car in this country. And having Opel Badges dont lift your status in the world thats for sure.

tomtom
14th February 2009, 04:06 PM
I call it a lightning bolt.

daiflu
14th February 2009, 06:26 PM

Haha, are you for real?
I agree, the opel emblem does look better, but as for lowering the entire look of the car?!?
It's just a small plastic badge!

Neeko
14th February 2009, 10:20 PM
for those of you that don't know... a "Blitz" is a lightning bolt in German.
and +1 for opel badge looking better

tomtom
14th February 2009, 11:41 PM
for those of you that don't know... a "Blitz" is a lightning bolt in German.
and +1 for opel badge looking better

LOL @...

Its not actually a Lighting Bolt. its called a Blitz.

Smartass-fail.

Neeko
15th February 2009, 12:13 AM
LOL @...
Smartass-fail.

ha ha just thought i'd mention it lol :rolleyes:

Shaun
18th February 2009, 10:55 PM
LOL @...

Smartass-fail.

Just to correct you both the Blitz is to with Opel Heritage . Refering to the Opel Blitz truck. Althought as it is " blitz is german for Lighting or flash this logo started as a Zeppelin and evolved from this To become the Blitz.

As for badging the New Vauxhall Corporate Logo is a a nicer looking badge then the Opel one.

poita
18th February 2009, 11:01 PM
Agree with Shaun on this (first time ever :p), as far as I was aware it had always been the 'Blitz'

This is out of the thread I posted about the history of the Opel logo

"In 1866, they expanded and started to produce bicycles. Around 1890, the logo was completely redesigned. The new logo also contained the words "Victoria Blitz" (referring to Lady Victory; they were certain of the triumph of their bicycles). The word "Blitz" (engl. lightning) first appeared back then, but without a depiction"

http://www.opelaus.com/forums/showthread.php?t=21084&highlight=history

glider
18th February 2009, 11:02 PM
just looking at opel history, find this amusing..

1938 – GM Vice President James D. Mooney (http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=James_D._Mooney&action=edit&redlink=1) is decorated with the Order of the German Eagle (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Order_of_the_German_Eagle) by Adolf Hitler (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adolf_Hitler), rewarding his merits for the Wehrmacht (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wehrmacht).

Neeko
18th February 2009, 11:07 PM
i just had to share that Blitz means lightning bolt. Since i am german thought i'd mention it

glider
18th February 2009, 11:07 PM
actually for anyone interested, the link below is a detailed timeline of the logo itself

http://www.cartype.com/page.cfm?id=251&keyword=opel

glider
18th February 2009, 11:11 PM
also, not sure if this has been posted, the opel logo has been given a facelift for the insignia,

the ring around the blitz is wider and now incorporates the word 'opel' in it

http://80.252.99.81/zooms/zoom01f4/0003e7f3.jpg

poita
18th February 2009, 11:11 PM
like whats here glider :p

http://www.opelaus.com/forums/showthread.php?t=21084&highlight=logo

poita
18th February 2009, 11:12 PM
I rather like the new logo they are using on the Insignia

glider
18th February 2009, 11:12 PM
feel free to delete my posts then pete, my apologies :p

-edit-

the link i posted is more detailed :p

MatsHolden
18th February 2009, 11:38 PM
Well they've wondered how they could represent the name 'Blitz' from the Blitz truck. In order to do this they've decided to interpret it in a visual form as a lightning bolt. So yes it is a lightning bolt which references the Blitz Truck... No one is wrong here.

tomtom
19th February 2009, 12:09 AM
I still call it a lightning bolt regardless of technicality.

pd-xc-72464118
19th February 2009, 01:26 AM
The Holden logo/badge is the most beautiful of all badges in motoring.

The glorious theme of a Lion roaring at the dawn sun invokes an impression of confident aggression ready for anything that the day might have in store.

The best thing Holden ever did was modernise their logo by cutting away the left paw on a horizontal base. Capturing the traditional Holden Lion/Sun logo inside a circle made the badge consistent with most other motoring badges out there - a lot easier to integrate with the various designs of the the many manufacturers whom they source cars from, than before.

The Opel logo/badge is a tired 'action' methaphor that is easily confused with a Port Adelaide Power style lightning bolt. That said, the Opel badge/logo might actually be appropriate if they ever convert to an all-electric range. Unfortunately the Volt is just one car at present. A whole range it isn't.

ROCCO
19th February 2009, 07:48 AM
personally I like the vauxhall badge..hence why i have changed my car to these

Wraith
19th February 2009, 09:08 AM
That the Holden badge is possibly the ugliest thing to ever have been stuck on the front of an opel?

It's so big, and so terrible!

Any opel gains many cool points just by someone getting rid of it.

I also disagree with the above...
IMHO and as far as my aesthetic tastes go, the GMH logo and badges are amongst the best looking, for me much better looking than a circle with a squiggly line running accross the centre of it, one of the many reasons I havn't and will not Opelise :)

I do think they've come a long way though, the older Holden badges weren't as nice, especially those black solid ones, but the new ones like those fitted to newer model Commodores are very nice...

I think what makes some look not that good is their size and probably maybe why some AH Astra owners may hate theirs especially the one on the tailgate as it is ridiculously large.

Then there's the HSV logo/badge, which is definitely one of the best looking IMO :)

I also think this whole re-bagding thing is 'product image' driven more than for any other reason amongst people who do it, if that brand is of a poor or lesser product image, eg: Hyundai, then no matter how good looking that Hyundai brand logo or badges are, compared to whatever else or how ugly something already on the car is, people will not change them ;)

I actually know of people who've swapped over their Holden badges to try and make their Holden model look more upper class or expensive or try to step away from owning a common mans or peasants car :out:

imay
19th February 2009, 09:21 AM
much better looking than a circle with a squiggly line running accross the centre of it

Oooo . . . you can be such a bitch sometimes Ange.

By the way, I totally agree. But, hey, that's just my opinion . . . oh, no it's not, others share the same. Oh well.

Wraith
19th February 2009, 09:32 AM
Apologies if I sounded nasty to anyone out there ^^^...just my 2 cents on the topic :smile2:

imay
19th February 2009, 09:39 AM
Don't lose too much sleep over it Ange . . . your sharp wit put a smile on my dial!

Wraith
19th February 2009, 10:01 AM
Don't lose too much sleep over it Ange . . . your sharp wit put a smile on my dial!

Always happy to make someone smile Ian :cornut:

xplosv57
19th February 2009, 10:28 AM
Then there's the HSV logo/badge, which is definitely one of the best looking IMO :)

:thumbs: i'm with you there!!!

mitchv
19th February 2009, 10:28 AM
I completely agree with you too Wraith, while i understand people wanting to change it to get back to the original roots of there car, i dont understand changing a badge for cosmetic purposes (because its a badge)... If it was up to me, my cars wouldnt have any badges, as mine has an HSV badge which looks tidy, i am not too fussed. Will call mine as its heritage (an Opel) i am not going to go to the effort to change it for 1 or 2 badges, when it already looks tidy. Would agree with getting rid of the huge one on the back of AH's, but replacing it with something seems abit odd to me. Clean lines are better then badges.

GreyRex
19th February 2009, 10:35 AM
I Opelized mine because it's something different and IMO, looks a lot better

Jerram
19th February 2009, 10:53 AM
by the sound of it, here we go again...

xplosv57
19th February 2009, 10:54 AM

Hey you started it!!! :p

immenotu
19th February 2009, 10:54 AM

Well you can only blame yourself this time :p :D

Wraith
19th February 2009, 10:58 AM

LOL as said, you started it :lol:

Anyways it's all good - everyone has an opinion and is allowed to voice it :thumbs:

immenotu
19th February 2009, 11:05 AM
My reasoning for opelising wasnt for status or because i dont like the holden badge. I did it for 2 reasons...

1. Its something a bit different, which i like
2. The opel badge is a very simple clean design which is how ive tried to do everything on my car.

Oh and its fun when people look at the car and have no idea what it is lol :D

glider
19th February 2009, 11:16 AM

there is no reason the topic cant continue, as long as people dont start telling others to get ****ed and so forth

ps.

opel ftw

oneightoo
19th February 2009, 11:49 AM
and if vauxhall badges were as easy and as cheap to get when i did mne many years ago i would have for vaux..

why?

because opel badges are different

and vaux badges are even more rare..

this topic has been argued about for years.. no one agrees, no one needs to agree, every one has their own opinion.. theres been countless threads locked because of it..

why does this topic need to continue?

tomtom
19th February 2009, 11:52 AM
The Holden logo/badge is the most beautiful of all badges in motoring.

That's debatable...or not since its a subjective matter :p

I will say though that you can analyze a design all day long and tell of its intentions and justifications but they will mean sweet-nothing. If people don't like it, they don't like it.

Whilst I will maintain that a logo's aesthetic "correctness" if you will is completely subjective and you are most certainly entitled to your views, I would like to point out that the most iconic logos are the ones that have the least lines.

McDonalds for example is an M.
http://www.samoa2007.ws/uploads/RTEmagicC_McDonalds_Logo.jpg.jpg
Yellow > French fries > fast food > Mc Donalds - K done:

http://www.uksoccershop.com/images/nike_logo-400-400.jpg

Tick > positive > leaning > running > speed > sports gear

But hey Tom, I know of iconic logos that arent that simple looking...some that have long squiggly letters in it!

Yes. Yes there are. Easily one of the most influential brands in the world:
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_z_kcMNSw9b4/Rfj9o5PTXyI/AAAAAAAAAAU/cM80eDmuJ1I/s320/Coca-Cola_Logo_2003.jpg

Cocacola's marketting and branding, for those who don't know, CHANGED CHRISTMAS TO RED. Yes it did. Those who already knew that Christmas and Saint Nick were originally green but thought red was because or some unknown religious thing, NO. Its because cocacola made it red.

Now its obvious that the Cocacola's (CC) logo contains a what-would-be, a fairly involved type face, not as simple as McDonald's logo, so why is it still so iconic and memorable? How come we will recognise a Cocacola ad on a billboard even if their logo is shown very small and may or may not appear to be a splurge of nothing (depending on your eyesight capabilities)?

You will notice that no matter where you look, unless you see the very old OLD use of CC's logo (which has btw, never changed since the current one was penned by the founder's mate), it is always with the red. The iconic part of CC's brand, is the colour - which is very VERY simple...don't even have lines! We won't get into CC's excellent use of a bottle silhouette.

Whats my point? If you can't draw a representation of your logo on a piece of paper in less than 5 seconds, you may need to rethink your logo unless, like Cocacola, you are smart and have something else going for you and/or your brand is already extremely recognised that it won't matter how complicated and not understandable it is.

That is of course a generic statement. You could design a logo that is both intricate and very recognizable and informs the consumer of every single thing that you want them to know about your company in a nut shell - and you will have done something amazing as a designer no doubt.

How does all this help the Opel vs Holden badging debate? Well very simply, the Opel logo is simpler and offers more negative space, meaning that from afar, it is easier for you to make out its shape. To me, that extra breathing space in the design gives it a more sleek and aggressive look. I don't care what the lion is doing to the sun or how much power its teeth are spose to invoke - I just like the LIGHTNING BOLT better.

I'm a designer and I just so happen to be quite into my car. As a result, I've gone through somewhat of an ordeal to change little things on my car to make it look a bit different from the other Astras around. Theres no hate of holden or anything and there is also no functional purpose of changing the badges on my car but

IT MAKES ME HAPPY AND THATS WHY I DO IT.

:D:D

Jerram
19th February 2009, 02:05 PM
Hey you started it!!! :p

hey I thought 2 people were gonna make some holden bashing comment and then the thread would just drift into insignificance a la most of my other ones.

Jerram
19th February 2009, 02:06 PM
more words

I beat all of you to say I thought wrong- so don't even think about it

Vectracious
19th February 2009, 02:20 PM
I remember when it was cooler to debadge your car rather than put different badges on. :)

xplosv57
19th February 2009, 02:26 PM
I remember when it was cooler to debadge your car rather than put different badges on. :)

Yep agree, apart from the 2 Holden badges on my bonnet and boot which have holes behind them, i have no other badges, looks much cleaner!!!

Calibrated
19th February 2009, 02:53 PM
was simple for me. i grew up with opel. so for me to look at any opel with a holden badge, was just sacriledge.

stay true to the original brand. i hate brand/badge regeneration.

GreyRex
19th February 2009, 03:16 PM

I've done both...

I guess that makes me cool then and cool now :cool:

LOL

Vectracious
19th February 2009, 11:49 PM
I've done both...

I guess that makes me cool then and cool now :cool:

LOL

you're not that old :p :D

Orion_996
20th February 2009, 12:06 AM
was simple for me. i grew up with opel. so for me to look at any opel with a holden badge, was just sacriledge.

stay true to the original brand. i hate brand/badge regeneration.

same here, it just doesn't feel right