PDA

View Full Version : what have you towed in your car

bender
12th February 2009, 11:19 AM
after a few people made comments about my car towing a 16 ft boat and after calibrated towed a 17ft cabin cruiser with his 1.3 corsa B i'm interested to hear what other people have towed

Calibrated
12th February 2009, 11:25 AM
as stated above...

and then just the usual trailers, jetski's.

kz_11
12th February 2009, 12:09 PM
gd question, i was thinking the same question when i was in the bed last nite.
What can an astra tow........??

Calibrated
12th February 2009, 12:12 PM
gd question, i was thinking the same question when i was in the bed last nite.
What can an astra tow........??
up to about 1300kg's

bender
12th February 2009, 12:38 PM
well mine towed a 16ft cruise craft and the lady that owned it before me (my Aunty) used to tow a horse float

Wraith
12th February 2009, 12:45 PM
Nothing !!!!

None of my cars have ever had a tow bar fitted...makes any half decent car look like a hack with a tow bar hanging out the rear :nonod:

Although you could get the 2 piece removable assembly type.

If I need to tow, there's always someone elses car I can get a hold of to use for the task :)

btm
12th February 2009, 12:51 PM
If I need to tow, there's always someone elses car I can get a hold of to use for the task :)

ditto, if i ever need to tow i just borrow either my bro's ute, my sisters hilux, or my parents tigger

personaly, i would never want my astra to tow anything

maloo97
12th February 2009, 01:10 PM
personaly, i would never want my astra to tow anything

+ 1

Jerram
12th February 2009, 01:46 PM
when I bought my Vectra it had a tow bar - when I get around to it I'll take it off.

Not only are they heavy (though they do put weight behind the rear axle), you can hurt your shins pretty bad if you walk into them. If I needed to tow stuff I'd just use my parents' Pajero.

That being said though there's not much wrong with towing stuff with an opel, maybe people could make a competition out of it...

nuggz
12th February 2009, 02:01 PM
its strange both vectras i bought had had tow bars fitted
god knows why

both times they came off as soon as i brought them home

mr corsa
12th February 2009, 02:21 PM
only thing i tow is the barina

InsaneAsylum
12th February 2009, 02:32 PM
i've towed a single axle trailer with my vectra

mine also came with a towbar which i was tempted to remove as i would never use it although it's become handy for when assholes don't know how to stop

oneightoo
12th February 2009, 02:41 PM
only thing i ever towed was a 20ft speedboat..

but it wasnt in my own car..

JohnBu
12th February 2009, 03:30 PM
i'd love a towbar on my car

comes in handy for parallel parking.. haha

bike racks,

and of course towing a trailer.

we have a trailer at home, but since we gave away the Van 4 years ago, no one in my family as a car with a tow bar.

auzvectra
12th February 2009, 06:31 PM
i've towed an astra on a car trailer in the combo ;).
the astra is rated to 1000kgs braked in aus, or 1500kgs elsewhere ;).
i think it's 750kgs unbraked.
i've also towed an old 85 audi 200t (similar to the 7 series of the same time), so pretty heavy with the combo too.

hazrd
12th February 2009, 08:39 PM
ive got the magna :p

a calibra i was looking at buying before my turbo ages ago had a towbar on it and the chick said that she towed her jetski with it an that was it

scotty_gsi
12th February 2009, 09:39 PM
usually end up bein ma dads falcon towing me (hangs head in shame)

low astra
12th February 2009, 11:05 PM
well mine towed a 16ft cruise craft and the lady that owned it before me (my Aunty) used to tow a horse float

hope you have electric overide brakes fitted aka electronic brake controller,

in qld it is only legal to tow 750kg unbraked, this is accross the board, doesnt matter its its a barina or a landcrusier,
as for a horse float the 2 that i have being dragging around both weigh 1ton without a horse, bout 1.5t with one horse and a little over 2t with 2 horses and all the girls saddles and gear,

i just had to part with my hilux as my mechanic told me it was unsafe to try to tow that kind of weight with a hilux, and refused to fit my electric brakes,

i have now bought a newer car that can tow about 2.8t

Vectracious
13th February 2009, 12:30 AM
just get dads Commonwhore to tow when needed. Once towed about 2tonne of pavers in Dad's VZ Berlina with the crap V6 and 4 speed auto. Ended up doing 60km/h in second gear flat out up the westgate bridge. Its amazing the auto didnt blow.

poita
13th February 2009, 12:54 AM
towed the calibra on a car trailer with the old girls falcon.

lowest point in my life i swear lol

auzvectra
13th February 2009, 01:26 AM
just get dads Commonwhore to tow when needed. Once towed about 2tonne of pavers in Dad's VZ Berlina with the crap V6 and 4 speed auto. Ended up doing 60km/h in second gear flat out up the westgate bridge. Its amazing the auto didnt blow.

hehe, i managed to get upto 80-90 up the gateway with the combo towing a 5m long cold room on a car trailer :D.
mind you it was reving it's tits off at about 5500-6K ;).

SKM_87
13th February 2009, 10:04 AM
i ha a 87 323 i used to tow my race trailer (which is the size of a landcruiser) up n down the east coast. would just sit in 4th, foot flat to the floor on the hume.

Black Nugget
13th February 2009, 07:44 PM
tow?

pfft thats for people without imagination

I've carried a king size matress on the top of my astra:idea:

low astra
13th February 2009, 07:59 PM
speaking of towing, if anyone knows of a box trailer going at the right price let me know,

SKM_87
13th February 2009, 09:10 PM
tow?

pfft thats for people without imagination

I've carried a king size matress on the top of my astra:idea:
shelving unit inside my barina. touched each end, lol. and target said it wouldnt fit

auzvectra
14th February 2009, 04:44 AM
haha, sounds like people dissin the combo ;), 560L fridge and a dryer inside :D.
i crammed a shower screen into my veccy ;).

ASTRAY
14th February 2009, 06:06 AM
speaking of towing, if anyone knows of a box trailer going at the right price let me know,
right price? theres one thats near my place, for $1050, not just a normal box trailer though. can take pics if you want.

low astra
14th February 2009, 10:32 AM
right price? theres one thats near my place, for $1050, not just a normal box trailer though. can take pics if you want.

sweet grab a few if u can, i want to build a bit of a off road trailer/ camp trailer

ASTRAY
14th February 2009, 10:59 AM
sweet grab a few if u can, i want to build a bit of a off road trailer/ camp trailer
will do mate, ill go see if its there right now, if not, might have to wait till monday.

edit, no not there today mate, will check monday.

Black Nugget
14th February 2009, 11:58 AM

I know your in brissy but we bought a small box trailer brand new for 570 from out in parramatta Sydney

delemonte
14th February 2009, 04:08 PM
Neither of my Astras have/had towbars and I wouldn't really want to tow anything heavy with either car. However, my Dad and I recently bought a 1989 Pajero V6 3L for $80 (the tow-truck fee to our house)... it was gonna be dumped. We bought a secondhand engine from Japan and fitted it ourselves - Father+Son project. The secondhand engine came out of an eastwest setup so we had to swap over just about EVERYTHING to make it fit in the longitudinal setup in the Pajero. Was a fun/educational project though! =P If I need to tow anything, I just use that.

entice
14th February 2009, 06:32 PM
I once towed around 300 bricks in a box trailer in the STI. Ahh the smell of burning clutch.

the forester has towed a tandem with a 124 CC Sport, and another time with a 124 Spider, from Geelong to melbourne.. no sweat. My diesel would have done it easier, but it was too green.

Now, I have the rodeo with a 3T towing capacity.

I think the law in Vic i that you cannot tow over 1.5 x the vehicle's weight.. or something like that....