PDA

View Full Version : VXR8 Bathurst Edition

poita
11th February 2009, 09:38 PM
This is bullshit, they release a model like this into the international market, but dont release it here.
Makes no sense at all!

http://www.caradvice.com.au/22434/2009-vauxhall-vxr8-bathurst-editions/

In a move that will no doubt cause some controversy here in Australia, Holden (HSV) has released two new special Bathurst edition models into its overseas Vauxhall line-up.

The new Bathurst and Bathurst S Edition models bare an uncanny resemblance to the 40th Anniversary GTS, although also sport a few choice performance upgrades to go with the stripes.

With the addition of a Walkinshaw Performance 122 Supercharger, the 6.2-litre LS3 engine of the Bathurst S develops an enormous 417kW and 715Nm - well clear of our local W427 flagship.

http://www.caradvice.com.au/wp-content/uploads/2009/02/56961-g-vau-480x318.jpg

http://www.caradvice.com.au/wp-content/uploads/2009/02/56961-c-vau-480x319.jpg

chrissn89
11th February 2009, 09:43 PM
Very nice. Thats weird HSV isnt selling them in AUS. The Super-charged LS3 would blow the F6 Typhoon out of the water. Im sure heaps of commordore lovers would buy them.

poita
11th February 2009, 09:46 PM
im sure any supercharged 6.2l v8 would beat a turbo'd inline 4.0l 6 ;)

chrissn89
11th February 2009, 09:58 PM
My point being thats its a production car and unmodified from the factory. The only car from Holden/HSV that could stand a chance up against the F6 Typhoon is the W427 but it costs a shite load more.

hazrd
11th February 2009, 10:04 PM
:yikes:

thats insane

probably because they already have an overpriced HSV here already lol (W427)

sooty
11th February 2009, 10:06 PM
DAMN...they should still sell them here, as well as over there...maybe they just think it'd eat into the w427's market...

poita
11th February 2009, 10:07 PM
buts its equivilant if they only released the vxr/nurburg here
makes no sense to me

GreyRex
11th February 2009, 10:08 PM
DAMN...they should still sell them here, as well as over there...maybe they just think it'd eat into the w427's market...

There's a market for a 155K Commodore lol?

chrissn89
11th February 2009, 10:09 PM
probably because they already have an overpriced HSV here already lol (W427)

Thats exactly why, the W427 has less power and costs $150,000.
Compared to a more powerful supercharged version that costs only $99,500.

hazrd
11th February 2009, 10:12 PM
talking to my ford nut mate atm, he said that FPV outsold HSV for the first time ever in january... whats that telling you for holden lol

MatsHolden
11th February 2009, 10:42 PM
Thats exactly why, the W427 has less power and costs $150,000.
Compared to a more powerful supercharged version that costs only $99,500.

It's not all about power. The W427 has extremely high quality components under the skin. The VXR8 supercharged versions are just basically a clubsport with a supercharger.

chrissn89
11th February 2009, 10:48 PM
I understand ive read a heap about all the internals. But still to the general public at over $50k+ more its a bit of a jump. But then again, most people that buy the W427 aint the general public. Plus the W427 is good to go, bolt a blower on and off you go.

kabel
11th February 2009, 11:03 PM
Read about this today on a UK based forum,they cannot understand why Vauxhall would release a Bathurst version in the UK :yikes:

Jerram
11th February 2009, 11:11 PM
HSV stock seems to sell well in the UK. I'm not sure why, perhaps it's because they haven't had so many quality V8 alternates in the country as we've had here.

Ice
12th February 2009, 12:09 AM
There's a market for a 155K Commodore lol?

$150K for a Holden ????? Yikes.....

Or just buy an M3

nadg63
12th February 2009, 12:17 AM
Don't care what they do to it - still just a Commonwhore to me! (and that isn't a good thing).

tomtom
12th February 2009, 12:56 AM
...(and that isn't a good thing).

Not at that price anyway:p

poita
12th February 2009, 01:01 AM
expensive taxi, i do agree

Shaun
12th February 2009, 06:27 AM
These cars are more then likely having the add on's fitted by Walkinshaw Prefomance UK for Vauxhall.

Walkinshaw Preformance are the Importer of the VXR8 for Vauxhall.

This would also have been done to fitt in with the Burg Edtion VXR and Artic Edition VXR Corsa Vauxhall have sold

Apex
12th February 2009, 07:46 AM
A few dealers sell the equivalent here with a factory warranty, can’t see it being any different bar the wanky “Bathurst” name tag.

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/Cars/Holden/auction-199522278.htm

57U-00
12th February 2009, 08:28 AM
lol... i can tell u what I can understand... its a commodore... its just another hoons car without less than a microscopic ounce of class... there is no way i can justify spending more than about $70,000 on any kind of commodore, and thats for something with power... anything more than that is a waste because ur basically paying for red raw, gravel rashed bollocks... flat balls to the wall power... and whilst this is impressive, i prefer to have a certain amount of finesse and class...

in short... when i drive, I want to enjoy the drive, feel important, comfortable, and still have power... when I want to have the flesh ripped off my bones by sheer means of g-force... i'll find a way to fork out $100K for a holden commodore...

Shaun
12th February 2009, 08:58 AM
lol... i can tell u what I can understand... its a commodore... its just another hoons car without less than a microscopic ounce of class... there is no way i can justify spending more than about $70,000 on any kind of commodore, and thats for something with power... anything more than that is a waste because ur basically paying for red raw, gravel rashed bollocks... flat balls to the wall power... and whilst this is impressive, i prefer to have a certain amount of finesse and class...

in short... when i drive, I want to enjoy the drive, feel important, comfortable, and still have power... when I want to have the flesh ripped off my bones by sheer means of g-force... i'll find a way to fork out $100K for a holden commodore...
Well if you want class why are you driving a Vectra? Sorry But the vectra dosent reperesnt powe, class or importance? (I'm not taking the piss out of you but you said that you want to feel important comfortable and still have the power)

Have you ever driven an E Series HSV Product?? The Sheer braking force is better then some European Rivals.

Considering a VXR8 Non S/C version in the UK Retails for about $35000 GBP these cars are Bang for your buck.

In there is only one prefromance V8 Car under 40k GBP mark and thats the VXR8.

The Latest E Series has an aggressive look as well as stylish .

57U-00
12th February 2009, 09:03 AM
but i'm talking about in Australia... my point is... at the end of the day, its still a commodore... it still feels like a commodore... and unfortunately thanks to the 90's, the commodore was a bang for your buck car back then too... base model thru to top of the range, and thus has a reputation amongst hoons...

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying I don't like commodores... ur very right, they are very bang for your buck... but not my first choice for a car... I may get one at some stage in the future... but a commodore will always be a commodore...

Widseth
12th February 2009, 09:04 AM
HSV stock seems to sell well in the UK. I'm not sure why, perhaps it's because they haven't had so many quality V8 alternates in the country as we've had here.

I was in England for 4 months and only saw 1 Holden; a Monaro. That’s it! Any ideas of what sort of numbers they are meant to be selling over there.

I must admit I never checked out a Vauxhall dealership while I was over there either. One dealership I did check out a couple of times was this place.

http://www.romansinternational.com/page/home.html

It was just down from the farm I was working on. When I was there they had a Veyron and 2 Enzos in the show room.

Shaun
12th February 2009, 09:06 AM
I was in England for 4 months and only saw 1 Holden; a Monaro. That’s it! Any ideas of what sort of numbers they are meant to be selling over there.

I must admit I never checked out a Vauxhall dealership while I was over there either. One dealership I did check out a couple of times was this place.

http://www.romansinternational.com/page/home.html

It was just down from the farm I was working on. When I was there they had a Veyron and 2 Enzos in the show room.

Just to put it to prospective the VXR8 had a 6 Month waiting list on release. They can only obtain about 300 units a year . But for a " Niche" product it sells very well. Just like the HSV VXR astra is a neche product but has sold in excess of 400 units in 4 years of being in the country.

57U-00
12th February 2009, 09:11 AM
Well if you want class why are you driving a Vectra? Sorry But the vectra dosent reperesnt powe, class or importance? (I'm not taking the piss out of you but you said that you want to feel important comfortable and still have the power)

Have you ever driven an E Series HSV Product?? The Sheer braking force is better then some European Rivals.

Considering a VXR8 Non S/C version in the UK Retails for about $35000 GBP these cars are Bang for your buck.

In there is only one prefromance V8 Car under 40k GBP mark and thats the VXR8.

The Latest E Series has an aggressive look as well as stylish .

Be that as it may, when I purchased the vectra, money really wasn't an option, I needed something safer than my 1970 HG Premier to put my then unborn son into, being that the premier didn't have any anchors for the child safety seat... Without buying a volvo, the vectra was the next safest car in my price range, and the proof of this is the fact i got rearended at 80km/h whilst stationary and all that needed replacing on my car was a rear bumper, whilst the other car was a compelete write off... i haven't seen many other cars capable of that...

My point too is it TO ME it doesn't matter how much u spend on any series of commodore, any range, release or model, at the end of the day u are still buying a commodore... its a personal thing... they are all still built off the commodore platform, and to me, commodores are cheap and nasty...

Apex
12th February 2009, 09:26 AM
Be that as it may, when I purchased the vectra, money really wasn't an option, I needed something safer than my 1970 HG Premier to put my then unborn son into, being that the premier didn't have any anchors for the child safety seat... Without buying a volvo, the vectra was the next safest car in my price range, and the proof of this is the fact i got rearended at 80km/h whilst stationary and all that needed replacing on my car was a rear bumper, whilst the other car was a compelete write off... i haven't seen many other cars capable of that...

My point too is it TO ME it doesn't matter how much u spend on any series of commodore, any range, release or model, at the end of the day u are still buying a commodore... its a personal thing... they are all still built off the commodore platform, and to me, commodores are cheap and nasty...

You been watching nightrider haven’t you?? No car could withstand a 80KPH rear end and only sustain rear bumper damage :yikes:

For 150k I would be looking at a low KM BMW M5.

Ishley
12th February 2009, 09:28 AM
"Australia means a great deal to Holden"

Isn't that there slogan in one of their ad's?

57U-00
12th February 2009, 09:37 AM
Morning Ish... and Apex, that is no word of a lie... got rear-ended by a mazda RX7 on a highway, had to come to a screaming halt because of the car in front, and they didn't start breaking until about 20m behind me... my ex partner was in the passenger seat carrying my unborn son... and all that needed replacing on the Veccy was the rear bumper... swear on my sons life...

hazrd
12th February 2009, 08:28 PM
"Australia means a great deal to Holden"

Isn't that there slogan in one of their ad's?

other way round ;)

quoted by Dave Hughes
"Holden means a great deal to Australia"

kabel
12th February 2009, 11:53 PM
$150 k for a Commodore too much ?
Try saying to the folk who purchase classic cars that they have just paid
$500 k for a 1971 Falcon !

57U-00
13th February 2009, 08:14 AM
yeah, but thats a ford, its worth every last cent... :p

JR
13th February 2009, 11:42 AM
for $150k i'd rather get a m3 or gt-r35.

true, the internal components (engine, drivetrain, suspension n brakes) r different on the various 'commodores', however the cabin does not vary much, and neither do most of the body panels. bumpers, skirts n tyres vary, sure, but it all comes down to - "its still a commodore mate".
we (car enthusiasts) all know that they drive different, the acceleration is mind-boggling, handling is different, with the likes of clubsports and w27s when compared to ur base commodore, however a majority of 'normal' people don't know that. to them its a "moddified commodore".
sad but true.

don't get me wrong - i do have respect for the likes of the gts, w427, vxr8 bathurst edition etc etc etc.
but it just doesn't feel right.

kabel
13th February 2009, 08:00 PM
The same thought process could be applied to a BMW M3..still just a small BMW,why pay $150k for it
Audi RS4...still just a medium sizes Audi and how much are they worth :confused:
Anyone want to buy a Valiant for $200k.............................................
A 1971 Valiant Charger R/T E49 Six Pack will set you back that much.
Still a Valiant :rolleyes:
Can anyone spot the differance between all the varieties of Porsche 911`s
on the road ?...to most people they all look the same, but the range of new car pricing would tell you otherwise.
Who cares what the average Joe Public thinks anyway.
Are you buying a car to pose in or buying something you want to drive ?
The only way companies like HSV and FPV can be competative is to ride on the back of Holden and Ford.
We should be thankfull for their existance.
Sorry if that sounds like I am trying to preach.

57U-00
14th February 2009, 09:12 AM
lol... obviously ppl who have trouble justifying spending that much money on a car don't have that much money to spend on a car, because if they did have that much money and wanted a particularly impractical car, they'd just buy it, wouldn't they?

:p

Shaun
14th February 2009, 10:38 AM
The same thought process could be applied to a BMW M3..still just a small BMW,why pay $150k for it
Audi RS4...still just a medium sizes Audi and how much are they worth :confused:
Anyone want to buy a Valiant for $200k.............................................
A 1971 Valiant Charger R/T E49 Six Pack will set you back that much.
Still a Valiant :rolleyes:
Can anyone spot the differance between all the varieties of Porsche 911`s
on the road ?...to most people they all look the same, but the range of new car pricing would tell you otherwise.
Who cares what the average Joe Public thinks anyway.
Are you buying a car to pose in or buying something you want to drive ?
The only way companies like HSV and FPV can be competative is to ride on the back of Holden and Ford.
We should be thankfull for their existance.
Sorry if that sounds like I am trying to preach.

Your exactly right. Australias Two Premium Prefromance Brands HSV and FPV wouldnt be here without Holden or Ford.

Both Brands have a lot more development then the standard Commodore and Falcon.

As for the W427 Mentioned. The front end uses about 80% of V8 Supercar parts. The W427 is a basic rolling shell when they arrive @ HSV as is most of the HSV products sold. (VXR is the only Expection. Holden do assemble some parts down the line for the GTS and Clubsport R8 but HSV do alot of in house stuff. Esp on the W427.

Shaun
14th February 2009, 10:39 AM
lol... obviously ppl who have trouble justifying spending that much money on a car don't have that much money to spend on a car, because if they did have that much money and wanted a particularly impractical car, they'd just buy it, wouldn't they?

:p

Whats impractical about a GTS or a Clubsport R8 ?

rjastra
14th February 2009, 10:56 AM
Whats impractical about a GTS or a Clubsport R8 ?

Absolutely nothing I would assume. Some aussies seem very embarrassed to support their own product

People should put this in their "value" calculator... You can purchase a Commodore SS Vspec at the moment for the retail price of a Astra VXR. We can argue about the sophistication of the Commodore with regards to Mercedes Benzs and BMWs.... but why dont some of us apply that ridiculous logic to the Astra VXR? Is it really "worth" the same as a Commodore SS V Spec? Is it more refined or better designed?

Horses for courses. Just think you can buy a 270kw V8 sports sedan for the price of a tarted up Mazda 6 with 125kw. We are in the liucky country.

Black Nugget
14th February 2009, 02:04 PM
i agree 155k is too much for a commodore

but if i had 70k to spend on a brand new car an FPV or HSV would be high on the list

Even if i had 30k to spend an Australian product would still be high on the list
RWD 200kw+ power, cheap insurance and parts, easy to buy second hand - they put up a pretty good case in my opinion.

Shaun
14th February 2009, 03:39 PM
Absolutely nothing I would assume. Some aussies seem very embarrassed to support their own product

People should put this in their "value" calculator... You can purchase a Commodore SS Vspec at the moment for the retail price of a Astra VXR. We can argue about the sophistication of the Commodore with regards to Mercedes Benzs and BMWs.... but why dont some of us apply that ridiculous logic to the Astra VXR? Is it really "worth" the same as a Commodore SS V Spec? Is it more refined or better designed?

Horses for courses. Just think you can buy a 270kw V8 sports sedan for the price of a tarted up Mazda 6 with 125kw. We are in the liucky country.

As a VXR owner i can see what your saying. Yes the VXR is small nimble and a hell of a lot of fun to drive but when you can buy a SS-V for the same price it starts to look inpractical. I agree with that as a VXR owner. If an SS-V was the price of my VXR when i bought it o would have bought one instead. I would have even bought a HSV Clubsport on todays pricing.

nadg63
14th February 2009, 07:12 PM
If I was spending 150k on a new car there is no way my brain would let me spend that amount on something that started life on a bogan production line in Elizabeth or Geelong - I'd be looking at M3, GT-R. used GT3 etc.

It might not be so much the case these days but Germans in particular were always known for their engineering and build quality, something the big 2 here have never been accused of.

But then again I do admit to being biased, I won't own any Aus built car!

poita
14th February 2009, 07:15 PM
but bmws are starting to turn into teh vehicle of chioce for bogans

how many base spec 320i do u see with 20" dinner plates now, waaaay too many.

nadg63
14th February 2009, 07:21 PM
but bmws are starting to turn into teh vehicle of chioce for bogans

how many base spec 320i do u see with 20" dinner plates now, waaaay too many.

Agreed, the only BMW I would consider owning would be the 2-door M3. (the rest of the 3-Series in Europe are pretty much reps cars, as Audis seem to be becoming also).

57U-00
15th February 2009, 08:01 AM

You see, thats the problem. If there even was such a thing as our "own product"... or even an "Australian car" for that matter, I would happily support it, but for all these morons that claim either Ford or Holden, especially Holden to be an Australian car, its time you face reality and understand that they are both AMERICAN CAR COMPANIES. They are subsiduaries of General Motors and Ford America respectively. I am more inclined to pick Ford over Holden, because at least Ford was originally a British car manufacturing company, and seeing as the British colonised Australia, thats the closest damned thing we have. I didn't see America colonising Australia.

Call me picky, but I prefer fact over fiction. And yes, I do realise the irony of owning a "Holden" Vectra. Which is why I'm taking the liberty of completely renouncing any "Holden" associated badging, because I know at heart, whether it be a subsiduary of GM or not, that it is an Opel. Unlike the rebadged pieces of crap Daewoo's that are making it to our shores...

Shaun
15th February 2009, 09:33 PM
Considering the VE is designed and developed here in Australia makes it's as " Australia" as they come really. The only thing the GM in the USA had a say in was the funding and green lighting the project some 9 years ago.

It maybe owned by an American Based company but the same thing could be said about the " Opel " product. Its basically owned by GM in the USA.

Just to let you know some of the Vectra range was assembled here in Australia. Vectra Wagon was designed here and Assembled here in Australia.

As for the Daewoo product Holden is responsable for the Design and running of GMDAT .

rjastra
16th February 2009, 12:17 PM
I am more inclined to pick Ford over Holden, because at least Ford was originally a British car manufacturing company, and seeing as the British colonised Australia, thats the closest damned thing we have. I didn't see America colonising Australia.

It is? Could have sworn henry ford was a Yank.

Henry Ford (July 30, 1863–April 7, 1947) was the American founder of the Ford Motor Company and father of modern assembly lines used in mass production.

tomtom
16th February 2009, 02:44 PM
It is? Could have sworn henry ford was a Yank.

+1

I'm pretty sure the model T Ford (first ever mass produced car i believe) was made and sold in America - correct me if I'm wrong, im grabbing this from what limited memory i have left of highschool history/science.