PDA

View Full Version : OpelAus National Meeting

poita
11th February 2009, 01:03 PM
Well since the old thread was 4 years old, and was starting to get on.
Decided it was time for a new thread.

Post up ideas for when and where.

If all you have to say is, it wont happen dont bother posting.

Calibrated
11th February 2009, 01:14 PM
anytime after the 12th of may. and i will be more than happy to drive anywhere (except perth or darwin or alice springs). ok let me rephrase. Sydney - Melbourne - Adelaide and anywhere inbetween.

maybe in the June/July holidays. the gf will want to come with.

hazrd
11th February 2009, 05:36 PM
more than happy to join one, pending the distance of course!

since there are members on both sides of the country... a suggestion:

Western side meet and an Eastern side meet
Same date and time, but diff locations, then at the end of the day, share photos and stories etc etc

i would find it hard for the western side to meet the eastern side without a massive drive or a flight!

any thoughts?

nuggz
11th February 2009, 05:40 PM
South Australia is probably as central is as feasible and give all of us a similar amount of driving to attend

also should be some good roads there

and i'd definately be up for it

ASTRAY
11th February 2009, 05:43 PM
pete, maloo and i are going to plan a nat meet for just after ny this year, so it will be a 2010 meet.
dont want to get into too much detail but it will be at wakefield in goulburn nsw.
we are waiting for the charity cruise/s to be sorted and finish before we go starting a thread on it.
we dont want people to decide not to turn up to charity meet, in preference for a nat meet.
we also dont want a nat meet thread pushing charity threads out of sight on main page.
we have discussed this all via pm, after maloo posted in spam thread and in the 05 meet thread.

poita
11th February 2009, 05:57 PM
np jay

maloo97
12th February 2009, 10:22 AM
Let there be light. Tell us what you think?

glider
12th February 2009, 10:24 AM
I think most attendance will be gained if people just fly instead of driving...

It'll be alot harder to get numbers for driving

that said, if its on the east coast where alot of the members seem to be, you'd probably a few cars...

Wraith
12th February 2009, 10:53 AM
South Australia is probably as central is as feasible and give all of us a similar amount of driving to attend

also should be some good roads there

and i'd definately be up for it

Really :confused:

Certainly good for SA people, but what about for people from Queensland and/or NT or Northern WA locations ???

In all honesty the meet location is going to be very difficult to decide, as it'll be out of everyones way, except for those who end up being closest...

Suggestion above to fly over is a good one to solve the obvious problem, but I assume the intention is for everyone to be there with their car !

I think it's a great idea to get a National meet happening, but speaking for myself, I can't get a whole weekend or several days off unless it coincides with public holidays or such, so I doubt I'll be able to attend...BTW I'm not the person who voted no in the poll, I voted maybe, afterall meet point could be here in Melb./VIC :D

Look forward to seeing all the pics though of this event, if it ever happens :)

poita
12th February 2009, 11:17 AM
yer i agree Ange, its teh problem that arises evreytime this is suggested, where.
for me, if it was in Adelaide, thats a 2300km trip just to get there, then i have to drive home.

My suggestion, as much as it will br frowned upon im sure, why not canberra?

Yes teh people from WA if they wish to attend would most likely have to fly, this I understand, but a vast majority of our members are in the eastern states.

The furtherest most ppl would have to travel roughly, Adelaide -> Canberra 1200kms
Bundaberg -> Canberra 1400kms.

Thoughts?

Nurb608
12th February 2009, 11:26 AM
Canberra sounds good. I don't think you would ever find a "central" point that everyone would agree on.

57U-00
12th February 2009, 11:56 AM
I can think of a central point... another continent so that the ppl that live in the place already don't have the advantage of not having to drive anywhere lmao...

if I win the lotto i'll pay for anyone interested to travel to germany (the mother land of Opel) with their cars hahaha... yeah right... i wouldn't do that... lmao...

Kudrow
12th February 2009, 11:58 AM
What about two central synchronised meets? E.g. Perth and Sydney or Perth and Canberra?

Wraith
12th February 2009, 12:41 PM
What about two central synchronised meets? E.g. Perth and Sydney or Perth and Canberra?

Actually that's an idea - and it has been successfully carried out on the Calibra club a few years ago...

We had a National 'state' meet where members from all states met up together at their respective state meet points, same day, approx. same time :)

I know it's not close to everybody together at the same time and place, but as already mentioned, the turnout will be greatly reduced with people having to take days off and time out and having to travel thousands of km's to a single meet location.

mr corsa
12th February 2009, 02:24 PM
Tasmania

PaulyJ
12th February 2009, 04:42 PM
Tasmania

Family event ey?

Canberra sounds good. Nations capital and all...

hazrd
12th February 2009, 06:34 PM
Actually that's an idea - and it has been successfully carried out on the Calibra club a few years ago...

We had a National 'state' meet where members from all states met up together at their respective state meet points, same day, approx. same time :)

I know it's not close to everybody together at the same time and place, but as already mentioned, the turnout will be greatly reduced with people having to take days off and time out and having to travel thousands of km's to a single meet location.

so something like this?????

Western side meet and an Eastern side meet
Same date and time, but diff locations, then at the end of the day, share photos and stories etc etc

i would find it hard for the western side to meet the eastern side without a massive drive or a flight!

any thoughts?

Neeko
12th February 2009, 06:54 PM
sounds alright... guess everyone will have to travel one way or the other

Noir
12th February 2009, 08:17 PM
Melbourne.

Even flying from Perth it isn't so bad.

MatsHolden
12th February 2009, 08:21 PM
Melbourne.

I'm happy with that. :p

ASTRAY
12th February 2009, 10:02 PM
yer i agree Ange, its teh problem that arises evreytime this is suggested, where.
for me, if it was in Adelaide, thats a 2300km trip just to get there, then i have to drive home.

My suggestion, as much as it will br frowned upon im sure, why not canberra?

Yes teh people from WA if they wish to attend would most likely have to fly, this I understand, but a vast majority of our members are in the eastern states.

The furtherest most ppl would have to travel roughly, Adelaide -> Canberra 1200kms
Bundaberg -> Canberra 1400kms.

Thoughts?

goulburn is pretty much near canberra. about 1hr north of canberra.
melb-goulburn, and qld to goulburn will be around the same trip distance.

PaulyJ
13th February 2009, 10:36 AM
Wherever it is, i'll be going.
I think its down to 3 locations: Melbourne, Canberra, Goulburn

mr corsa
13th February 2009, 10:41 AM
qld jambo AUGUST 29 & 30

glider
13th February 2009, 10:42 AM
in that case which location provides better photo locations? (which are big enough too)

nuggz
13th February 2009, 10:43 AM
Wherever it is, i'll be going.
I think its down to 3 locations: Melbourne, Canberra, Goulburn

im good for attending anything vic/nsw/sa
but yes i think somewhere in NSW would be great for the eastern states

PaulyJ
13th February 2009, 10:46 AM
I don't know what's in Goulburn, and Cabnerra is known for having nothing. So photo op wise out of the 3, Melbourne wins.

poita
13th February 2009, 10:48 AM
qld jambo AUGUST 29 & 30

cant argue with that, teh blue beast making an appearance tony?

mr corsa
13th February 2009, 11:10 AM
I don't know what's in Goulburn, and Cabnerra is known for having nothing. So photo op wise out of the 3, Melbourne wins.
goulburn goal would be a idea with ivan milat taking the pics

mr corsa
13th February 2009, 11:11 AM
cant argue with that, teh blue beast making an appearance tony?

depends wot i break between now and then

poita
13th February 2009, 11:17 AM
always the optimist, would be good to see it perform :)

PaulyJ
13th February 2009, 11:20 AM
goulburn goal would be a idea with ivan milat taking the pics

Goulburn it is
Settled
Done
Dusted
Thanks for coming

auzvectra
13th February 2009, 11:36 AM
there is plenty of good backdrops for photo's in canberra, including a few good lookouts, that have parks right next to the cliffs overlooking the city :).
i'll have to have a look thru some of my pics resize n upload lata ;).

i say i'm in for canberra :D.
but for something like this if the interest was there i'd go down to adelaide too.

poita
13th February 2009, 11:49 AM
have seen some great pics of car clubs outside parliamet house

PaulyJ
13th February 2009, 12:15 PM
I've always though Canberra was the right place for the meet.
Lets make this happen.

JR
13th February 2009, 01:15 PM
not being biased here, but canberra has some awesome potential backdrops like the new & old parliment house, telstra tower, mount ainsle, australian national museum, lake burley griffin.

and being canberra, u don't have to worry too much about other traffic n cars crowding scene of photo snapping :D

mr corsa
13th February 2009, 02:27 PM
should just crash this meet
http://www.holdenbarina.com/phpbb3/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1662

ASTRAY
13th February 2009, 03:04 PM
goulburn was only for the fact that wakefield is there, we can zoom around the track till our hearts content, then we can head to canberra for pics etc.
my gf lived in canberra most of her life, and has been to wakefield before and she says its only 50mins drive between them.

i will ring wakefield and enquire/confirm the particulars in a week or 2, so everyone will know the costs/etc.

details of wakefield....

Wakefield Park also offers Speed off the Street Days, where road-registered street cars and bikes can run on the circuit for a small fee. Drivers/Riders can learn how their vehicle can really perform, in order to better understand how to control their vehicle on the road.

Just bring yourself and your street car and for just $110 per or your road bike for just $120 per day (week days) you can experience what it's like to Drive/Ride around a race track. Drivers need to wear appropriate attire:

• Approved road use helmet (also available for hire at track)
• Neck-to-wrist-to-ankle clothing protection (could be long sleeve shirt and long pants)
• Closed in shoes (cover ankle to toe)

During the lunch break at some of our Speed off the Street Days, the V8 Challenge cars are available for Drives or Rides to anyone wanting to experience a Drive or Ride in a V8 Racecar.

SPEED OFF THE STREET DAYS

o Drive your own street car $110.00 per day or road bike $120 per day (week days)
o Australian Autosport Alliance licence $50.00 (annually)
o Helmet hire available for $20 per day with a $50 Deposit
PASSENGERS FOR DRIVER TRAINING PURPOSES ONLY

ET RACING FUEL available now from the bowser.

CAFÉ OPEN 7 DAYS A WEEK

*prices subject to change without notice.

i really would prefer we could book the track for just us guys, but last time i checked it cost $3000 to book and extra on top if we want a ambo/official there. plus other costs involved.
so its going to be much cheaper for all of us if we just go to a speed off the street day.

Neeko
13th February 2009, 03:13 PM
should just crash this meet
http://www.holdenbarina.com/phpbb3/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1662

i'll be there

mr corsa
13th February 2009, 07:10 PM
think about the interstate members who have a long way to go home if there car goes bang at wakefield?

auzvectra
13th February 2009, 07:37 PM
hhhmm, didnt think of that. i'd still go on the track but :D.

ASTRAY
14th February 2009, 03:09 AM
think about the interstate members who have a long way to go home if there car goes bang at wakefield?

just so people know,

if you are covered by say racv roadside assistance, you dont have to wait for racv to turn up, NRMA (nsw version) will help you out, its happened to me before, when i used to live in melbourne.
im not sure but id say its the same with racq.

you just ring up racv and they contact nrma for you.

that being said, i understand not everyone might not have some sort of roadside assistance, i dont anymore.
it is something you should definately look into, make sure you select the options of hire car and towing.

mr corsa
14th February 2009, 10:00 AM
nrma or who ever your with aint going to be to much help if ie sumone breaks a gearbox 1st 10-20kms free towing after that pretty much screwed if you live in vic or qld

PaulyJ
14th February 2009, 10:40 AM
Either way if you're covered or not, you'd be f**ked if something happened.
They way I look at it, this is supposed to be a meet, not really a trackday.
People will be driving a long way just to get there, the last thing they'd want to is drive more. Track days do take it out of you.

ASTRAY
14th February 2009, 10:45 AM
nrma or who ever your with aint going to be to much help if ie sumone breaks a gearbox 1st 10-20kms free towing after that pretty much screwed if you live in vic or qld
im pretty sure there is an option that allows you to get towed no matter where you are.
in vic it was called gold, when i was there.

no matter where you go , your always going to have the risk of breaking down, yeah sure theres more risk going interstate, and even more going to a track interstate, but thats just the risk involved.
if anyone is worried they are going to break down, then they dont have to attend.
same with people who are worried they might ding their car.
no one is forcing anyone to attend.

ASTRAY
14th February 2009, 10:58 AM
Either way if you're covered or not, you'd be f**ked if something happened.
They way I look at it, this is supposed to be a meet, not really a trackday.
People will be driving a long way just to get there, the last thing they'd want to is drive more. Track days do take it out of you.

i agree pauly, this is mainly about meeting everyone, and getting pics of everyones cars together :D
but there has been alot of interest in the track day.
im guessing most people will be at meet destination for 2,3 or 4 days, possibly longer for some.
what im thinking is everyone goes to canberra.
we have our meets etc at canberra.
on one of the days we are there, whoever is interested in going to the track, can.

PaulyJ
14th February 2009, 11:02 AM
Valid point
Nice Avatar

If thats the case then, how long do you think we should make the meet for?
2, 3, 4 or 5 days?
I personaly think 5 (eg Wed - Sun). Drive to destination wednesday, 3 days activity, drive home sunday.

Noir
14th February 2009, 11:04 AM
And what would the plans be for those travelling interstate without cars? Not everyone can participate in track days or cruises in this instance.

ASTRAY
14th February 2009, 11:23 AM
Valid point
Nice Avatar

If thats the case then, how long do you think we should make the meet for?
2, 3, 4 or 5 days?
I personaly think 5 (eg Wed - Sun). Drive to destination wednesday, 3 days activity, drive home sunday.

thankyou, i love fairy bread :p
im not sure how long the meet should be, but 5 days sounds like a good idea to me. again no one will be forced to stay for the full 5 days.
some people might only be able to be there for half a day, eg busy syd member.
i think we should work on your 5 day idea pauly, i was thinking 3 days, but 5 is much better. lots and lots of opportunities for pics, and trust me even though ive only seen a small part of canberra, there are loads of excellent places for pics.
out the back of canberra there are some nice twisty country roads too :cool:

Noir
And what would the plans be for those travelling interstate without cars? Not everyone can participate in track days or cruises in this instance.

there is an airport in canberra, and im sure there are hire cars available there. not for track day :yikes: , but i suppose some members might be daring enough to do that lol, that is if wakefield allow it...
alot of members will be willing to drive members around to meets/photoshoots etc. if i am alone then i will have 4 seats spare.
i might also be able to give a few newy/syd members a lift down if they have no way of driving down.
some interstate members will have seats spare too.
while some of us are at the track, the others can have a bit of a sight seeing trip, or a bit of a bbq day/social chat.

Corsa_Rob
14th February 2009, 12:21 PM
i like the sound of Canberra, definitely agree there are some good roads/photoshoot locations, was there 2 years ago.

auzvectra
14th February 2009, 12:43 PM
yeah, deff some good roads out on the west side of the city ;). out near the observatory that got burnt down years back.
i'd drive down n would have spare seats too.

ASTRAY
14th February 2009, 02:12 PM
yeah, deff some good roads out on the west side of the city ;). out near the observatory that got burnt down years back.
i'd drive down n would have spare seats too.

yeah that was such a waste, i think they had 3 or 4 burn down that year. new one built now though, and old ones still standing, that i know of.
did you go out to the "deep space listening station" too? its further out.

maybe we could all position our cars into the opel blitz shape at the bottom of black mountain tower and go up the tower and take a pic.

auzvectra
14th February 2009, 02:29 PM
haha, with some1 on the phone at the top organisein where to place the cars ;).
yeah, that was the 1 that had the nice roads ;). thought it was the observation 1.
i think they had 1 workin when we were there not sure now. was in march 05 i think we were there. actually 06 i think.

i have a few pics from that way too, n the park we stopped at.

hhmm, how bout all the cars in the telstra tower car park, n take a pic from above :D.

ASTRAY
14th February 2009, 03:12 PM
haha, with some1 on the phone at the top organisein where to place the cars ;).
yeah, that was the 1 that had the nice roads ;). thought it was the observation 1.
i think they had 1 workin when we were there not sure now. was in march 05 i think we were there. actually 06 i think.

i have a few pics from that way too, n the park we stopped at.

hhmm, how bout all the cars in the telstra tower car park, n take a pic from above :D.

lol, telstra tower is now called black mountain tower. i got confused with that too :o.
they changed the name some time ago.

there is one place that has alot of telescopes, i forget what that is, i think black mountain too.

the deep space place is a different place, has 4 massive satellites, one is 70m in diameter, pic below
http://www.cdscc.nasa.gov/Graphics/Gallery/DSS43/lg_0004.jpg

more here
http://www.cdscc.nasa.gov/Pages/pg02_antennas.html

auzvectra
14th February 2009, 05:08 PM
k, bloody name changes. conspiracy to confuse us :p.

yeah i know the place ;). long drive, but i was glad we just put the new suspension in the barina b4 we went there :D.

guy 27
14th February 2009, 10:30 PM
I am in.

If it's in winter we could also head to the snow.

ASTRAY
14th February 2009, 10:32 PM
I am in.

If it's in winter we could also head to the snow.

will be in summer mate, just after new year.
best time for most people cos of holidays.

JR
16th February 2009, 12:38 PM
black mountain tower (aka telstra tower) has a big enough carpark to accommodate a number of cars.
it would b cool to take pic from up high in the viewing deck.

i too can help out some members from canberra airport if required. :D

Neeko
16th February 2009, 12:42 PM
one hell of a roadtrip :D

http://maps.google.com.au/maps?hl=en&q=boonah+to+canberra&ie=UTF8&t=h&z=6

poita
16th February 2009, 01:15 PM
add another 400 onto that for me ;)

and its quicker/shorter for me to go inland, and miss brisbane all together

Neeko
16th February 2009, 01:16 PM
add another 400 onto that for me ;)

and its quicker/shorter for me to go inland, and miss brisbane all together

guess we'd cruise down together :)

poita
16th February 2009, 01:18 PM
yer, even though its an extra 100kms for me, i would drive to brissy, and meet up with all.

then drive in a group from there :)

and by inland, i meant through goondiwindi, moree ;)

glider
16th February 2009, 01:19 PM
yer, even though its an extra 100kms for me, i would drive to brissy, and meet up with all.

then drive in a group from there :)

awesome, someone to feel my pain when the cali breaks down on the way down

Neeko
16th February 2009, 01:21 PM

after the first 500km... "alright Toby here is the number for RACQ, best of luck and we'll see ya when you get down there"

poita
16th February 2009, 01:23 PM
pfff not even like that, i've driven mine to bris and back a few times no probs

also bundy to blackwater and back, which is about 500k's

Neeko
16th February 2009, 01:26 PM
pfff not even like that, i've driven mine to bris and back a few times no probs

also bundy to blackwater and back, which is about 500k's

lol i wouldnt know... just that no one has enough faith in there calibras.

a cruise down together sounds good though.

glider
16th February 2009, 01:28 PM
it would probably be fine, I'd always take the astra if it was playing up beforehand anyway

we would definately have to break it up into several breaks, not everyone will have the same stamina/endurance/tolerance for long distance driving.

chrissn89
16th February 2009, 01:28 PM
Maybe take the Astra eh.

nuggz
16th February 2009, 01:36 PM

other members can tow them back home

for those who aren't 100% confident with their cars, tracks not a good idea, still be fun to watch though

auzvectra
16th February 2009, 03:19 PM
damn, thats a long way to tow ;).
i get the feeling i need to make an a frame up that'll bolt to the front of the astra/corsa/cali's for it :p. too far for a tow rope.

ASTRAY
16th February 2009, 04:10 PM
if a $250 mazda 626 can make it from melb to port macquarie, then back, then back to port macquarie, then back to melb, then to adelaide and back to melb, then back to port macquarie, all within 1 month and without skipping a beat...
then im sure a cali can do qld to act and back no problems :D
( oh except for a sticking accelerator cable, because of a air leak in a pipe on the front of the engine thats apparently there to keep the engine warm in snowy areas, and a retread losing its tread)

oh, it then done port to syd and back about 6 times, port to armidale twice, and god knows how much 4 wheel driving in the bush (no it wasnt a 4wd lol)
and it was still alive when i traded it in for the astra.

hazrd
16th February 2009, 09:23 PM
bought my v6 in november
ive done nearly 8,000 kms already

all ive had is a measly oxygen sensor fault just now

qld would be easy

Shaun
16th February 2009, 10:00 PM
Tasmania

Targa roads sound fun to me...