PDA

View Full Version : Bush fire - narre warren south

ROCCO
7th February 2009, 11:04 PM
Hey all,

Just in case you where wondering....fark I wonder how rocco and his family are doing with the fires down this way....well thanks to the efforts of the CFA the fire is under control...smouldering at the moment..

I'll try get some photos tomorrow it ended up stopping roughly 800m from the front lawn...bloody lucky...unfortunatly 5 familys are now without homes...started off as a grass fire jumped ormand road in narre...

ASTRAY
7th February 2009, 11:06 PM
glad you are ok mate. just had a breaking news thing go across the tele, said 25 dead in melb fires.

hazrd
7th February 2009, 11:13 PM
+1 mate
im glad u and ur fam are ok.. my boss lives down that way too (pakenham)

and 800m... shit dude, lucky as :yikes:

ROCCO
8th February 2009, 12:27 AM
its really wierd at the moment...you know like really quite....almost too quite...I think its paranoia...its really calm outside cool too....freakin me out

Vectracious
8th February 2009, 12:55 AM
one of my staff who lives in Harkaway had to be evacuated as the fire was in a paddock in front of her house and the house 3 doors down from her was on fire. There was a shitload of smoke in Berwick all afternoon from all the fires around the area.

was absolutely crazy today.

ROCCO
8th February 2009, 01:04 AM
here is a photo I took just before we got covered in smoke...personally if these huge choppers weren't in the sky we would be in a hell of alot more shit than this:

http://i129.photobucket.com/albums/p209/romanian_rambo/ELVIS.jpg

Wraith
8th February 2009, 02:54 PM
Far out :eek: that's waaaay too close for comfort !!!

I've got friends living in both Pakenham and NarreWarren, they and they're homes are all just fine...thank goodness...worse prob. was power out for a while.

And with that scorcher yesterday we have a new official weather record for Melb. 46 degrees :eek: hopefully we never see temps that high again !

Vectracious
8th February 2009, 03:31 PM
And with that scorcher yesterday we have a new official weather record for Melb. 46 degrees :eek: hopefully we never see temps that high again !

I heard on a report that 45 degree days will be a regular thing each summer from now on due to climate change.

But then again, the last time we had temps like this was 1939 - doubt there was a lot of climate change back then....

sooty
8th February 2009, 04:37 PM
Now 36 confirmed dead, expected to rise.

ROCCO
8th February 2009, 04:49 PM
I just took a walk down to where there was some cfa guys patrolling the area gave them couple of bottoels of water not much but hey aleast its cold...they said they have herd over the radio that they where getting unconfirmed reports that some bastard was seen in the area yesterday before the fires started...basically some prick has been lighting these fires....took some shots of what the ground looks like now from the front of my place you can see how close it really did come...way too close for comfort...but the heat...guys i can't describe how bloody hot it was...and the smoke was sooo thick. I just got this report from the ABC website...we all like driving the spur us victorians...and i'm sure we have all been to marysville....well not any more

The Country Fire Authority says there is "possibly one building left standing" in Marysville, as relentless bushfires engulfed the town north of Melbourne.
Greg Esnouf, the CFA's deputy chief fire officer, told ABC Local Radio that Marysville had been all but destroyed by the blazes.
"We're starting to get some reports in now that are very saddening," he told ABC Local 774 in Melbourne.
"This latest report says Marysville possibly one building left standing - that's just shocking.
"Anyone who knows Marysville, it's a beautiful town and that's really sad. "It's very disturbing for the township itself."
The CFA later issued a statement saying Marysvalle residents were safe and had assembled at the local Gallipoli Park.

hazrd
8th February 2009, 04:52 PM
really not liking this... im feeling for all the families out there affected by all of this...

ROCCO
8th February 2009, 04:58 PM
http://www.abc.net.au/reslib/200902/r337251_1529925.jpg

http://i129.photobucket.com/albums/p209/romanian_rambo/IMG_0238.jpg

http://i129.photobucket.com/albums/p209/romanian_rambo/IMG_0239.jpg

http://i129.photobucket.com/albums/p209/romanian_rambo/IMG_0240.jpg

lampshade
8th February 2009, 04:59 PM
I ve just round the corner from Rocco, and TBH it sorta freaked me out a little:( (bushfires are a new thing to me) the smell of smoke and all that, all my neighbours were out and some smoke came past me.

So I just thought "fvck it" and drove off to tompson rd roundabout for a coffe and to listen to the emergency broadcast on the radio.

A sad sad day for Victoria.

sooty
8th February 2009, 05:12 PM
That first picture is amazing...truly shows the severity of the situation...

ROCCO
8th February 2009, 05:19 PM
brings back memorys from Ash wednesday....it look exactly the same...red glow everywhere you looked

Kudrow
8th February 2009, 05:52 PM
brings back memorys from Ash wednesday....it look exactly the same...red glow everywhere you looked

I think this current situation is worse than Ash Wednesday isn't it? How many were lost in Ash Wednesday?

Front page of ninemsn.com.au says 65 dead and 640 homes destroyed.

MatsHolden
8th February 2009, 06:01 PM
I think this current situation is worse than Ash Wednesday isn't it? How many were lost in Ash Wednesday?

Front page of ninemsn.com.au says 65 dead and 640 homes destroyed.

It's worse. And it's only early days. :(

ROCCO
8th February 2009, 08:39 PM
I know this situation is worse than ash wednesday I was talking more about the first photo....basically looking at a wall of fire...death rate will only increase as people are let back in to asess the damage.
The thing that is soo hard to describe to you all is how hot the wind was...i've never felt anything like it.....i've seen pictures of sirens on fire trucks melted....rims that are now semi pools of metal on the ground....horrible stuff.

ASTRAY
8th February 2009, 08:50 PM
anyone see the kid on the news who told the reporters they seen "someone throw a cig butt"?
in time it will be revealed he started the fire. just my opinion, its obvious by the way he was talking etc. if you seen it, you would know what i mean.

ROCCO
8th February 2009, 09:11 PM
I'm hearing ya jay...I siad the exact same thing to the missus....at the moment i'm just listening to the cfa chatter....for all interested thelink is here:

http://cfastream.info/infusions/cfastream_streams/cfastream_stream.php

Wraith
9th February 2009, 08:27 AM
Unbelievable what's happened...simply devastating to hear the news this morning of the death toll and houses lost...

I hope all the very best for all those affected and hope the relief effort goes a long way in helping them out...

sooty
9th February 2009, 10:02 AM
http://www.news.com.au/gallery/0,22010,5037339-5006020,00.html#

for those who want to see the absolute devastation caused by the fires...

imay
9th February 2009, 10:27 AM
Can't even begin to imagine the devastation and heartbreak these fires are causing. My heart goes out to all affected.

God . . . Nature can be cruel, made even worse by some unthinking lunatics who (possibly) get their jollies by starting these infernos.

Congratulations to the brave CFA volunteers and others that risk their lives to save others. I'm speechless . . . and saddened . . .

Rond
9th February 2009, 10:58 AM
For those who feel helpless in this situation and maybe cant afford to donate any money, there are plenty of burns victims that are going to need blood. so this is another way people can help in this horrific time. you can either ring 13 14 95 or go to www.donateblood.com.au (http://www.donateblood.com.au) and register with them. i have tried to call this morning but the line is too busy so may be better to go to the website and register...

simmy
9th February 2009, 11:31 AM
What has happened is truely devastating.. i cant begin to imagine how awful and heartbreaking it would be to lose absolutely everything to a fire like that..to have everything that you have worked so hard for throughout your life to such a disaster.

Im so glad you are all ok.. i wish i could help in some way.

I also feel for those who have been caught in the Ingham floods.. I just cant understand how one part of the country can be burnt while another floods... its awful!

Vectracious
9th February 2009, 12:47 PM
This is the redcross donations link we used to donate this morning....

https://www.redcross.org.au/Donations/onlineDonations.asp

Shaun
9th February 2009, 01:06 PM
Scary scenes thats for sure. And to think some sick disturbed asshole who gets off on doing it is out there roaming free in public is a state of affairs.

Apex
9th February 2009, 01:23 PM
Very scary guys, so sad to hear about this.

Thoughts go out to all effected, can’t even imagine it.

NZ sent tones of our top fire fighters over yesterday.:sad:

ASTRAY
9th February 2009, 05:02 PM
Very scary guys, so sad to hear about this.

Thoughts go out to all effected, can’t even imagine it.

NZ sent tones of our top fire fighters over yesterday.:sad:

i think i speak for everyone in australia when i say thankyou to your fellow nz firefighters for taking their time to come over and help.
very very much appreciated!