PDA

View Full Version : New Astra H pix

imay
24th January 2004, 03:55 PM
Go to http://www.opel.de/shop/cars/astranew/gallery/photo/01/content.act and check out the new Astra. It's easy enough to navigate around even though it's all in German (not that there's anything wrong with that!).
I'm still undecided, but expect it will look quite different in the metal. Didn't like the Vectra when I first saw the pix, but would be quite happy to have one parked in the driveway now.
Ian.

01CDsedan
24th January 2004, 08:22 PM
In a perfect world, we'd have the current exterior with that great looking new interior in those pics. Sorry, but I'm still not sold on the styling - the front end looks weird, the back looks okay, but the whole car also looks a bit too tall.

One thing I hope they haven't done is made the windowsills as high as they are in the Vectra. They're a good 5cm or so higher than they are in the current Astra, and it has the effect of making visibility a real problem in the Vec.

If I were buying a new small car this year, at the moment my favourite would be the Mazda 3 SP23 sedan.

Anonymous
26th January 2004, 03:48 PM
its lookn more like a barina, If u goin to get one of these body mods must be made :D

SmellyTofu
26th January 2004, 05:08 PM
Looks nice.. but would I buy one? In my current position, no.

rjastra
27th January 2004, 09:35 AM
If I were buying a new small car this year, at the moment my favourite would be the Mazda 3 SP23 sedan.

Go drive one... I have. They are nothing special. They sure don't any quicker than my SRi. The interior looks ok (if slightly overstyled) but just about every surface is hard to touch!

And the hatch looks hideous in real life. The sedan looks better but has a uselessly small boot opening.

MickyD
27th January 2004, 03:51 PM
if I was ordering a new small car this year I'd be getting a Cooper S...

actually, hang on, I ordered one last week :lol:

daastra
28th January 2004, 10:59 AM
I don't like it!!!

If I had to buy a small car sometime soon I'd be heading straight to Audi and purchasing myself a S3. Mmmmmmm, noiceP!!!! :D And if I was rich!!! Owhhh, or maybe an Alfa 147!!!

Personally I'd love to know what the !!!! the designers are thinking when it comes to drawing a new model. Most small cars these days are looking to boxy, chunky and are becoming an imitation of mini people movers. They are losing all style and class they ever had.

I regularly read Wheels and some of the concept designs that are actually starting to go into production in Japan are hideous!!! :mrgreen:

SmellyTofu
28th January 2004, 01:53 PM
Japan is a unique market and the thing is there is no one car that can always satisfy the taste of the world masses.

If I were to order a car now, I'd get a Liberty... Oh wait.. I did. ;)

Anonymous
28th January 2004, 03:07 PM
:evil: :cry:

Anonymous
28th January 2004, 03:57 PM
If I was to Purchased another SMALL Car and money was no Object, I'd get a Renault Clio Sport 180 V6(Not in Aust. till April) It has the looks and the Grunt to Turn any head. :D

imay
28th January 2004, 08:23 PM
What's with the Liberty, Smelly? More info needed please. I'm just a tad jealous if you're serious.
Ian

SmellyTofu
28th January 2004, 08:45 PM
I am serious... it's just a company car. :D But thank goodness my Astra will rack up less and less k's when I get the Liberty but there will be a variety of cars I'll be driving over the year.

imad4u
28th January 2004, 09:04 PM
if I was ordering a new small car this year I'd be getting a Cooper S...

actually, hang on, I ordered one last week :lol:

getting the john cooper works kit with it ? its only an extra ten grand... hmm cooper s very nice well done :D

01CDsedan
29th January 2004, 03:31 PM
Go drive one... I have. They are nothing special. They sure don't any quicker than my SRi. The interior looks ok (if slightly overstyled) but just about every surface is hard to touch!

And the hatch looks hideous in real life. The sedan looks better but has a uselessly small boot opening.

Ugh, really? I hate all these new model cars with the hard plastic dashboards, it's so cheap. One other thing I discovered about the SP23 reading about it in Wheels is that it doesn't have cruise control - and for the sort of driving I do, cruise is abosolutely essential.

Good thing I'm not in the market then :)

Dregger
29th January 2004, 06:51 PM
hmmmm to me...i guess i feel the same way as i did with the clio. at first i didn't like it, but the more i saw of it, the more it grew on me. I actually am like almost everything of the new astra....only thing i dont like is the taillight and boot hatch styling......

man i love the orange interior pic.....nice and sporty (plus i doubnt i could afford the one with leather)

glen....V6 clio.....finally they are bringing them in.....u know that its only a 2 seater....so engine goes behind driver and front passenger,.... crazy!!!

Jass
29th January 2004, 08:15 PM
Surely there not gonna bring the V6 clio's to oz are they?
I would be very suprised if i saw one of them here.
There fast little cars.... only problem is turning circle on them is crap!

barry minster
2nd February 2004, 04:43 PM
I saw it in the flesh whilst in Athens last November at the Motor Show there. Too much like a 90's VW Golf for my liking - I will stick with my 2 {G Type] Astras - 2002 Cabrio & 2004 City hatch

Pablo
2nd February 2004, 06:14 PM
Well, that Clio has been out here for about 1 half years now, it actually gets nailed by the Astra Coupe - you wouldnt expect that - if you look at the paperwork of both cars.

Topcar magazine had a shootout between 15 of the top cars last year. The one session was done at www.zwartkops.co.za raceway. The two AMG mercs were on top of the time sheets with the coupé in third. That Clio I think only managed 12th place - the drivers said it has terrible understeer problems.

The Astra Coupé came out on top after many different tests and was classed the best of those 15 that were tested overall here in SA.

The only thing going for that Clio is its looks....

Anonymous
3rd February 2004, 03:40 PM
They supposed to be bring V6 Here in April. I went to Garry Warren Smith Renualt, And they told me Around April or May.
And Pablo were talking about is a Different Renualt Clio, The one I mean would Demoralise a Astra or Even a Porsche.
Its a 250kw Quad Cam V6, Rear Mounted(Behind Driver) 850Kg Aluminium Body. Its pretty much a Factory WRC Group A Rally Car.
It similair to This One, Bodkit is Slightly Different:
http://homepage.ntlworld.com/tony.pallett/pics/elmar/a03.jpg

Jass
3rd February 2004, 04:15 PM
One questing though how the heck do you get to the engine bay??

Is kinda like the porsche were the boot opens straight into the engine bay??

The astra would get desimated againts the V8 clio.

Anonymous
3rd February 2004, 05:09 PM
Ya get to engine through the Hatchback, Then Lift a Panel up.
http://www.geocities.com/sparky_132/pics/owners/c05.jpg
http://homepage.ntlworld.com/tony.pallett/pics/others/e05s.jpg

Dregger
3rd February 2004, 05:38 PM
ohhh yeah look at that !!!!

iodit friend gets in the clio and sits in passenger seat....looks back and asks..."whats that".....ur turn the ignition on, rev it to 5k......and say..."THATS WHAT IT IS !!!! """

:shock:

Pablo
3rd February 2004, 08:49 PM
KID_SRi - yip that car in the pic is the one we have here, it has 172kw @ 6000 r/min, so this beast your talking about must be awesome in comparison - as far as I know this is the only Clio like this - anywhere - I think you got your Horsepower and kw mixed up there a bit.

I found the article on the 14 cars that were tested that day - the clio V6 was 8th fastest around Zwartkops.

MERC SLK32 AMG 1.17.06
MERC C32 AMG 1.17.97
Opel Coupé 1.18.20
MERC S55 AMG 1.19.6
AC Cobra Replica 1.20.24
Audi S3 1.20.44
Audi S6 1.20.54
Renualt Clio V6 Sport 1.20.75
Renualt Clio 2.0 16v Sport 1.21.17
BMW X5 4.5is 1.21.18
MGTF 160 1.21.28
Saab 9-5 Aero 1.21.33
BMW 330d idiv. 1.22.16
MERC ML55 AMG 1.24.65

ciao
Pubs

astra_city
3rd February 2004, 10:25 PM
Hey Pablo.
What are the specs on the Opel Coupe?
That's a pretty impressive time judging by the other cars in the comparison.

Jass
4th February 2004, 05:57 AM
Is that the same opel coupoe they use in the UK for track racing, that redlines at liek 8,2000 rpm?? :S

Is it the non turbo 2.0L one?

Pablo
4th February 2004, 04:28 PM
The Coupé is the 2.0 Ecotech Turbo 147kw............

Anonymous
4th February 2004, 05:51 PM
The 172Kw Clio is the 2000/2001 Model.
Theres a New Model In France soon to be here that Around 250Kw,
Its been in all the Car Magazine here for a while.

Dregger
4th February 2004, 08:12 PM
as much as i love opels......i just can't believe that an opel coupe 2.0 turbo could beat some of the cars listed....

to me the coupe' isn't THAT much of sports car...compared to AMG stlye and some of these high powered cars...

extralarge
7th February 2004, 10:20 PM
new astra - way too tall.. alike the honda jazz; dissapointed why they haven't tuned the new astra, to say, perform as well as a honda accord euro, which is also 4 cyl..; yes radical styling drastically different and exaggerated compared to the G but they seem to be getting better shots of the car with time..; front lights a bit big? but at least smaller than the vectra..

i was expected class leading handling like the 3 series, at least improved performance, and an upmarket cabin. think of the new golf, better than better now.. the astra will need to put up a good fight.

either way, i will definitely test drive one when it comes out. did that for the mazda 3.. not totally impressed (also very shocked by the many brands for which the mazda 3 took ideas from).

time will tell