PDA

View Full Version : Astra Models and Fog Light Question

windy
23rd August 2004, 11:39 PM
Hey All,

I'm picking up my 2000 Astra CD (5-door hatch) on Thursday.
I'll post up some pics when I get it (windows getting tinted @ dealer).

I'm thinking of colour coding the door moulds, handles and the lower plastic skirts? I'm guessing people have done this... anyone have a pic?

Next step will be some SRI wheels or aftermarket type, but this will be early next year or later.

I'm looking for a different rear muffler or exhaust tips. I'm more after the look than sound, as I will have a baby in the back seat :)

Last thing...... fog lights, I want em!! Can I fit them to my standard front bar?? My bumper looks to be the same as mytee_mouses' astra he just sold. I've attached a pic (hope you dont mind mytee)!!

Cheers
Windy

Mitch
23rd August 2004, 11:42 PM
What colour are you getting? I have a heap of photos on my computer of different Astras. I'm sure I can find a colour coded one in your colour. :)

windy
24th August 2004, 12:14 AM
Hi Mitch,

It's Polar Sea (Dark Blue) - Same as above?
Thanks!!

Cheers
Windy

Mitch
24th August 2004, 12:24 AM
I think this is the same colour. It's an Sri though.

Colour coded door handles, side strips and side skirts.

DoomTrooper
24th August 2004, 07:18 AM
I'm fairly sure that if you ask the dealer they will fit the fog lights for you, i have an equipe and it has fog lights, i think those to spots just get cut out and they fit the light in the hole

duff
24th August 2004, 08:29 AM
in the uk, i have found that even though the astra may have wiring in the engine bay for the front fog lights, it may not have the wiring in the dash. this means that you cant get a factory finish in the dash. get this checked before going any futher as i know one guy on astra-sport.co.uk spent a lot of money on a new front bumper fog lights the switch all to find it wouldnt work as the wiring was missing!!

Anonymous
24th August 2004, 08:37 AM
the wiring is there, its just a matter buying the switch, a relay and a fuse to get it all working..... off hand the switch was about $130 (replaces the entire headlight switch) relay was about $15 and the fuse was like 40c......

i had to do all that when i put a SRi front bar on mine....... but the wiring is all there.... the plugs would be sitting behind your current front bar already to go.... just add the above parts and your done...

windy
24th August 2004, 09:29 AM
Cool - thanks for the replies fellas :D

I'll do some hunting for the wiring when I pick up the car!!!

Cheers
Windy

duff
24th August 2004, 10:02 AM
the wiring is there behind the front bumper (bar) on my astra and it possible to replace the headlight switch but when it came to fitting relay and fuse the space was there but the contacts were not. spoke to my local vauxhall dealer and he said apparently some have the wiring and some dont but all have the wires behind the front 'bar'.

easiest way to check is look at fuse board and if the contacts are there for the fuse in the fog light position u r ok if not forget it!! just advice on what i have found

best to double check before spending hard earned cash!!!

windy
24th August 2004, 11:37 AM
Oh, that's a huge one!!
Thanks Duff 8)

Another thing is, if I have the fuse contacts and wiring, how hard is the bumper to modify to fit the fog lamps? Do the plastic bits pop out or is modification necessary?

This site is great for info!
Keep up the good work guys!

Cheers
Windy

GOZOFF
24th August 2004, 11:58 AM
Iv'e color coded my SRi makes a big difference dude
Oh and yes you can fit fog lights to your front bumper but better to buy them from OZEPARTS (http://www.ozeparts.com.au/) then your Holden dealer ;)
http://groups.msn.com/_Secure/0WADnAo8atKjqVhYMZFM5mpGlO2ykO9yGcv*FT122j4kqWkDnz KaylKNT7tmP8Mci0OvZpN7vk9t5JC85Y1IyQbpjpvwodcACR*t QhlqADiQXqbOd!!Y86vc*FVvQiv3vMgAAAP****8/Astra%20Pictures%20050.jpg?dc=4675460671178647407

windy
24th August 2004, 12:10 PM
Awesome!!

Thanks GOZOFF......... That's a handy site and im guessing much cheaper than a Holden Stealer :)

Re: Fog lamps - It says on the Ozeparts web site: For SRi type bumper only.
Mine is a CD. Will they fit :?:

imay
24th August 2004, 12:52 PM
Re: Fog lamps - It says on the Ozeparts web site: For SRi type bumper only.
Mine is a CD. Will they fit :?:

Yes, they will fit. Remove the bumper and using a Dremil or similar, cut out the scored area at the back, where the fog lights fit (should be the same on all Astra bumpers). Mounting points and wiring should be there already.
Holden parts will set you back about $630 for the lights, switch, relay, etc.
There are some bargains to be had on e-bay from Germany/Holland dealers for these, if you fancy the risk!
I had a serious look at this some time back and ended up chickening out, preferring instead to "touch up" this area with matt black paint.

Anonymous
24th August 2004, 06:00 PM
Glad to Hear ya haven't even got ya Astra yet Andrew and Ya already wanna Modify It :D
Go Hard Son :twisted:

duff
25th August 2004, 04:24 AM
if

duff
25th August 2004, 04:25 AM
if you want to be a little different these are good and different!!! and you dont have to be neat when cutting the hole as there is a blanking plate!!

http://www.rallynuts.com/motorsport/The_Vauxhall_Astra_Mk4_1614/Hella_Front_Fog_Lamp_Kit_Astra_1445.asp

http://mitglied.lycos.de/theastradriver/Astra/Aussen/FS_P.jpg