PDA

View Full Version : Another Holden FAIL moment

tomtom
6th February 2009, 01:34 PM
I rang up Castle Hill heartland this morning with the intention to get a part number for my wheel caps. Note i have gotten part numbers from them before for front bars, centre consoles, head units etc so i thought, 5 minutes MAX. This is how the conversation went (more or less):

Tom: Hi I'm looking for replacement wheel caps for my car
Douche: Yer mate what car is it?
Tom: Its a 2008 sri NON turbo
Douche: ....
Tom: It's an astra.
Douche: Umm... ok give me a sec

*10 minutes on hold*

Douche: Mate what colour are the wheels?
Tom: ... Silver.
Douche: And are their steelies or alloys?
Tom: You're kidding?
Douche: Eh?
Tom: They're the STOCK wheels on the 2009, 2008, 2007 model Astra SRI non turbo, ie the ones that came in the 2.2 Direct and the newly 1.8 engines (too many words for him).
Douche: Yer look mate I need to know what wheels they are.
Tom: Alloys. 17 inch x 7.5''. STOCK.
Douche: Give me a sec

*10 minutes on hold*

Douche: Alright mate i've got the caps for the steel wheels (huh) and ones for the CDX and CDTI i can't find the ones for your car. Those are like $13.75
Tom: Right well can you give me the part number for them so i can double check with the caps that i do have before i make a trip down?
Douche: Yer nah mate I might need a VIN number
Tom: ....what for?
Douche: So we know that they're the right ones for the car
Tom: I'm pretty sure the CDX and CDTI ones will fit
Douche: Mate its not a matter of if they'll fit its whether they're the right style.
Tom: I'm pretty sure they're exactly the same MATE. I have a CDX.
Douche: Yer nah mate we're not sure you'll have to come down with your car and we'll check up your VIN number
Tom: Youre kidding? For WHEEL CAPS?
Douche: Look mate, we have lots of cars and pages and pages of wheels, we have the make sure they're the right style.
Tom: I believe that to be my problem not yours. As long as they fit. Just give me the part number and I'll double check my wheels.
Douche: Nah mate we dont give our part numbers.
Tom: Thats a joke. I know it.
Douche: Nah mate
Tom: Right thanks bye

*hangs up*

I tried very hard to be polite and courteous throughout but when he didn't know what an SRI non turbo was I was quite enraged. This is their JOB. I understand that there are a lot of cars but even I could go through off the top of my head, every model of car Holden stocks and the spec levels they have including equipment. Not down to the T but i would have SOME CLUE. This is unacceptable - their cluelessness that is.

Ridiculous. In fairness I'm sure its a policy they have and the times that I did get part numbers were probably 'cause someone who noobed it @ work that day - I don't see any sort of personal reason for employees to not give out part numbers.

Regardless, time to take the jack out (again) unless someone knows what the part number is? I can't even find the 0-100 times of the AH 2.2's so I daresay it will be impossible to find the wheel cap's part number for it lol.

Calibrated
6th February 2009, 01:45 PM
oh i had a grand one on monday for brake pads.

Zupps Aspley (now i love there service department, but parts, my god this guy was useless).

Me: Hi, i need a pair of front brake pads for a 2006 Astra CDTi
Douche: is that a TS or AH
Me: AH.
Douche: Are you sure, because 2006 could also be a TS
Me: yes i am sure, its my car.
Douche: .... is that the Z18XE motor
Me: no, its the Z19DTH. Turbo Diesel.
Douche: But you said its a CD model, are you sure its not a TS?
Me: what?? yes im sure its not a TS, Holden did not sell any turbo diesel TS Astra's.
Douche: oh ok.
Douche: and you wanted rear pads right?
Me: No, front pads.
Douche: ok we have them in stock. $123.48
Me: kthnxbai

lithium
6th February 2009, 02:03 PM
why won't they give out part numbers? its a bit strange especially as holden invoices list part numbers on it

in defense of the parts guy, you might be able to list off every current Holden model, but these guys handle parts inquiries for every single model FOR THE LAST 30 YEARS. it doesn't surprise me they don't know the ins and outs of every model in the book...

for example if i told you 'i'm looking for wheel caps for a 1973 LJ (non GTR)' would you know which type of car i am refering to?

dix
6th February 2009, 02:04 PM
"Epic fail - you're not doing it all wrong" is needed here. But maybe he confused caps with hub caps which is why he was asking you about steelies.

Jerram
6th February 2009, 02:12 PM
"Epic fail - you're not doing it all wrong" is needed here. But maybe he confused caps with hub caps which is why he was asking you about steelies.

yeah I'd say that's what happened.

tomtom
6th February 2009, 02:20 PM
why won't they give out part numbers? its a bit strange especially as holden invoices list part numbers on it

in defense of the parts guy, you might be able to list off every current Holden model, but these guys handle parts inquiries for every single model FOR THE LAST 30 YEARS. it doesn't surprise me they don't know the ins and outs of every model in the book...

for example if i told you 'i'm looking for wheel caps for a 1973 LJ (non GTR)' would you know which type of car i am refering to?

That is true didn't think of it like that although I'd be inclined to still think they should have a good knowledge of CURRENT models:confused:

tomtom
6th February 2009, 02:21 PM
oh i had a grand one on monday for brake pads.

Zupps Aspley (now i love there service department, but parts, my god this guy was useless).

Me: Hi, i need a pair of front brake pads for a 2006 Astra CDTi
Douche: is that a TS or AH

At least you got the answer you were looking for!:p

lithium
6th February 2009, 02:31 PM
That is true didn't think of it like that although I'd be inclined to still think they should have a good knowledge of CURRENT models:confused:

true - i've heard they are quite good with Commodores but not so much the Opels or Daewoos
if they'd just give out the part numbers though, a lot of unpleasantness could have been avoided...you'd think they'd do it especially with a clued in customer on the other side, with the car right in front of them, who is willing to check if the parts are correct for them!

chrissn89
6th February 2009, 02:32 PM

That would be a Torana. But thats not really the point. I mean they have a computer database in front of them with all the info and surly a pen and paper.

Example: Calling the spare parts department

Douche: Holden spares, Douche speaking how may i help you.
Me: Hello im after a pair of front brake pads for my 2006 Astra CDTi
Douche: **jotting down model, year, spec level, and parts needed. While im telling him what im after**
Douche: One second thanks **selecting model, year and spec level in database cant be that hard 20secs max**if he forgets some info just read it off the paper, instead of asking the customer again and again**
Douche: Just confirming that your astra is a Turbo Diesel
Me: Yes with the Z19DTH engine
Douche: Thats the one, can i just put you on hold for a minute ill have a look and see if i can bring up the front brakes for you. **looking at what he wrote down at the start of the phone call**
Me: Not a problem.
Douche: Hello you there **took say 2mins max, i cant see how it would take that long but that time is still acceptable**
Me: Yes
Douche: Okay, they are $123.48 a pair and yes we do have them in stock, would you like a pair put aside?
Me: hmm okay, could i just grab the part number off for reference and so it makes it easier next time.
Douche: Sure not a problem have you got a pen and paper handle
Me: Yup
Docuhe: Okay its 895 996 513 347gle
Me: Thanks ill have a think about it and get back to you
Douche: No problem have a good day
Me: Cheers bye.
Douche: Bye

Something like that would be better. Better training and model knowledge, would help alot.

tomtom
6th February 2009, 02:50 PM
EXACTLY! I really thought it was going to be that simple

"My car is [this]. I need the wheel caps for stock wheels"

*click click*

"Ok we have [item] part number [this] costs [this much]"

"K thanks love you long time"

:(

USC
6th February 2009, 03:11 PM
the vin number brings up all the parts for your car. It is much easier for them to look at the exact wheel cap when they have your vin. i dont know why u guys complain when they ask for the vin. its like a code that brings up EVERYTHING on your car. this way, you dont even need to tell them the colour of your trims etc.

rjastra
6th February 2009, 03:15 PM
the vin number brings up all the parts for your car. It is much easier for them to look at the exact wheel cap when they have your vin. i dont know why u guys complain when they ask for the vin. its like a code that brings up EVERYTHING on your car. this way, you dont even need to tell them the colour of your trims etc.

Maybe because the douche ;) who owns the car is too lazy to write it down. :P

lithium
6th February 2009, 03:26 PM
Chris thats my point exactly - Tom never said his model (Astra) hence not enabling them to look up the database. he was then taken aback by Holdens ignorance in not knowing this straight away when given 'SRi', and also when asked simple questions for clarification (steel vs alloys, vin)

my point is - they use a database, so you have to feed them correct and complete information about your car (year, model, trim level), then answer any questions they ask you for clarification

geez louise guys, the parts guys are only human. i've never had any problems with any Holden parts before and i've gotten parts from 4 different dealers :)

Nurb608
6th February 2009, 03:44 PM
If the caps are the same as the ones on the Veccy C, which is a good chance, part number is HO 09 179 672

kirssn
6th February 2009, 03:57 PM

this is exactly right - added to that, if you happen to know the registration number the car was originally registrated with, they can look it up in the exact same manner....

and why don't they give out the part numbers over the phone - its actually a breach of holden's (not the dealership's) policy and since holden like 99% of major companies out there have secret shoppers etc doing calling, its a way to catch breaches of policy. i know of 3 dealerships that have been in the poo for this over the last month so all dealerships have been reminded of the rules & regs.....

tez
6th February 2009, 05:38 PM
I always just quote my VIN number as there are so many different versions of trim level etc available on all cars. Makes it easier for the parts interpreter and myself.

tomtom
6th February 2009, 06:47 PM
You guys backing the Parts guy make a FAIR POINT. He is indeed human and I don't know how the part database system is designed (Maybe its heaps user-unfriendly).

However, I still don't see why he needed my VIN number. I provided him with (perhaps not spoon fed) Model, Year, Spec, Engine size. What more do you need? If you say that he needed it to verify that I actually owned an Astra then fair enough but he made it out like without it, he won't be able to find these mystery wheel caps for the stock 5 spoke 17 inch wheels that have not changed since the first non turbo AH SRI rocked up. There is only ONE SET OF RIMS FOR THAT MODEL EVER.

Lesson learned though and as some of you have advised and recommended, I will have my VIN ready next time I need a part from Holden - not 'cause I think they NEED it rather, 20 minutes is a long time :cornut:

Red AH SRI T
6th February 2009, 08:21 PM
if u have him ur VIN u wouldn't need to give him your model year, spec engine size ect as the VIN would bring up all that info, along with all the colour codes and trim codes ect.

tomtom
6th February 2009, 08:26 PM
If the caps are the same as the ones on the Veccy C, which is a good chance, part number is HO 09 179 672

Just read that, thanks mate. I'll be checking mine out later tonight so I'll post up the number (to confirm) for anyone who needs it in the future.

USC
6th February 2009, 09:29 PM
You guys backing the Parts guy make a FAIR POINT. He is indeed human and I don't know how the part database system is designed (Maybe its heaps user-unfriendly).

However, I still don't see why he needed my VIN number. I provided him with (perhaps not spoon fed) Model, Year, Spec, Engine size. What more do you need? If you say that he needed it to verify that I actually owned an Astra then fair enough but he made it out like without it, he won't be able to find these mystery wheel caps for the stock 5 spoke 17 inch wheels that have not changed since the first non turbo AH SRI rocked up. There is only ONE SET OF RIMS FOR THAT MODEL EVER.

Lesson learned though and as some of you have advised and recommended, I will have my VIN ready next time I need a part from Holden - not 'cause I think they NEED it rather, 20 minutes is a long time :cornut:

In the same year, the same model of car with same engine can have several different trim type/colour/alloy wheel/spoiler and the list goes on. The part guy may not be a Holden/Opel enthusiast and have no idea about your wheels (how many people are there out there only doing a job to earn money? LOTS!) - As a spare part interpreter he is asking you questions so he can look up the spare part database.
You have to be very specific!! Either original rego number or vin number.

tomtom
6th February 2009, 10:37 PM
Ok got the cap off and the number is (different to yours 2003_Vectra_CDXi):

2008 Astra AH SRI 2.2 Coupe stock 17inch 5 spoke wheel cap part number (for people who need to search):

H0 13 214 660 PU

http://img4.imageshack.us/img4/4169/wheelcapbackts3.jpg

Nurb608
7th February 2009, 10:18 AM
Same cap as mine, there is the second holden part number down near the bottom ;)

xplosv57
7th February 2009, 10:46 AM
LOL funny thread, being a parts interpreter isn't an easy job, and like mentioned before, rather than asking the customer 1000 questions, just throw them your VIN and it's 100x easier to get what you need!!

That SRi may have had 1 set of wheels here, but the database also brings up optional wheels as well so hence the wheels q's!!

Shaun
7th February 2009, 10:48 AM
In the same year, the same model of car with same engine can have several different trim type/colour/alloy wheel/spoiler and the list goes on. The part guy may not be a Holden/Opel enthusiast and have no idea about your wheels (how many people are there out there only doing a job to earn money? LOTS!) - As a spare part interpreter he is asking you questions so he can look up the spare part database.
You have to be very specific!! Either original rego number or vin number.

Very Correct. As A Parts Interpreter i can understand why they ask these questions. Because on the other side of the counter people who ring like your self who use the common terms such as " there all the same" is unbelieveable . I hear it 50 times a day from customers. Just because Australia has one spec It dosesnt mean the parts EPC /Book or Microfishe show one option for the car in question.

Just for example. Some products may run " tropical packs" for cooling meaing they use different tem themostats and radiators sizes due to the climate for that country.

As also mentioned they may not be an enthousiast about the Opel Products. How ever when your standing there asking the piece that connects to the water pump sure as s h i t they will know its a hose,housing and assicotated gaskets and clamps need to do the job

Shaun
7th February 2009, 10:56 AM
Ok got the cap off and the number is (different to yours 2003_Vectra_CDXi):

2008 Astra AH SRI 2.2 Coupe stock 17inch 5 spoke wheel cap part number (for people who need to search):

H0 13 214 660 PU

http://img4.imageshack.us/img4/4169/wheelcapbackts3.jpg

Check the number against what was on the invoice. As sometimes HO is only a Make code . It maybe kept under another number due to a suppersesion. Check it agains whats on the invoice to confirm tis the correct part number you have posted.

Vectracious
7th February 2009, 12:49 PM
My God - so now we're having a go at the parts guys because he automatically didnt figure out that a "2008 Sri Non Turbo" is an Astra?

what you should have said when you first called up was

"I have a 2008 Astra SRi and the VIN number is .................. I am looking for some centre caps for my wheels."

And tomtom from your description on your initial post, I can imagine what you were sounding like on the phone... So the guy didnt know everything about an AH Astra - big deal. And if you had just given your VIN number when he first asked for it instead of being so obstructive and going off about who's problem it might be if the wrong wheel caps were in stock etc etc - the phone call would have been over in half the time.

Tagen
7th February 2009, 01:21 PM
lj torana...

tomtom
7th February 2009, 03:14 PM
Same cap as mine, there is the second holden part number down near the bottom ;)

Oh yer! Haha, well i guess you were correct :cool:

tomtom
7th February 2009, 03:34 PM
My God - so now we're having a go at the parts guys because he automatically didnt figure out that a "2008 Sri Non Turbo" is an Astra?

what you should have said when you first called up was

"I have a 2008 Astra SRi and the VIN number is .................. I am looking for some centre caps for my wheels."

And tomtom from your description on your initial post, I can imagine what you were sounding like on the phone... So the guy didnt know everything about an AH Astra - big deal. And if you had just given your VIN number when he first asked for it instead of being so obstructive and going off about who's problem it might be if the wrong wheel caps were in stock etc etc - the phone call would have been over in half the time.

Vec, My OP was written in irritation since I had spent more than 20 minutes on the phone with no result but I assure you that I took the whole phone call with a positive tone (best i could anyway since i WAS annoyed), even if the actual dialogue suggests otherwise. I guess my main beef was I came into it thinking that it'd be the easiest thing in the world but when confronted with a lack-of-knowledge for my car from a holden rep, I was very much upset - they sell the car, i expect them to know it back to front. Alas as some members suggest, some poeple just want to rock up @ 9 and leave @ 5 and I guess I can relate to past jobs Ive had.

Either way, I believe you guys to have made good and correct points regarding how I as a customer, could help the rep do his job more efficiently and will take that on board and learn from this for the future.

I still think he should've found the part tho :p

xplosv57
7th February 2009, 03:45 PM
...when confronted with a lack-of-knowledge for my car from a holden rep, I was very much upset - they sell the car, i expect them to know it back to front...

Parts dept. has nothing to do with the sales dept. so the person you spoke to had nothing to do with selling the car!!

Also just remember how many models Holden has, it'd be awfully hard to know every car (especially a low volume car like the Astra SRi) back to front, i know the parts people i deal with, even with 30+ years experience still don't know every single detail about every single model of car!!

hazrd
7th February 2009, 05:30 PM
from experience (before the cali was an '01 s/c vx berlina) the best thing for me was to always try and take the car to them (i bought stacks of spare parts from them) and they were always able to help me, even had the screen up in front of me while trying to find the part. over the phone can be so hard sometimes!

whenever i rang them, i never had a lot of luck because they had the car up on their screen, but couldnt quite pinpoint the part i was after, going in and seeing them always made it easier for me
not sayin that all of them are helpful, just easier to deal with when u are there with the car :)

much diff story if the car isnt running or they are too far to drive to :(

lithium
7th February 2009, 10:17 PM
lj torana...

lol, we have a winner!
welcome to OpelAus Tagen, start a thread in the new members section to say hello :)

USC
7th February 2009, 10:34 PM
We can all stop giving Tomtom a hard time now. :p

Talking about variations of parts for same model of car, did you guys know the AH MY6 to AH MY7 and AH MY7.5 onwards have different windscreens!!! the latter is cheaper but look exactly the same!! The part guy once told me the later model may have a thinner screen...surprisingly, aftermarket use only 1 type for all AH series....ummm....

KID_SRi
8th February 2009, 07:15 PM
Also you have to take into Account some dealerships also do Spare Parts for Other Makes.
I know of a couple of Dealers here(Melb) that sell Skoda & Honda, So it makes it bit hard to get a Straight Answers

USC
9th February 2009, 05:22 PM
Also you have to take into Account some dealerships also do Spare Parts for Other Makes.
I know of a couple of Dealers here(Melb) that sell Skoda & Honda, So it makes it bit hard to get a Straight Answers

Like Barloworld, usually they have separate spare part divisions.