PDA

View Full Version : Honda S2000 no longer

poita
5th February 2009, 01:39 PM
The chequered flag has come down on the Honda S2000.

The open-topped sports car was created to celebrate the Japanese carmaker's 50th anniversary but, with global sales tanking for most brands, Honda has cut the car to keep its business moving.

Production will end with the last of the 2009 model-year S2000s, which means around the middle of this year.

But Honda Australia is down to just three cars in local stocks and is not expecting to have to re-order.

"It's run its race," says Mark Higgins, spokesman for Honda Australia.

"We've been working on a customer-order basis for the last couple of years. We haven't had too many in stock."

Production of the S2000, which currently lists for $73,590 in Australia, has topped 110,000 cars since the first one was built nine years ago. America topped the S2000 sales charts with 65,000 and Japan was next with 20,000.

"It was introduced in Australia in 1999, which was the biggest year for sales. It did well in 2000 and 2001 but slowed down after that. We have sold 1818," says Higgins.

The S2000 decision comes after Honda confirmed it had canned its planned replacement for the NSX sports car.

It showed a concept at a number of major motor shows but eventually decided it could not justify the spending, or the potentially poor publicity, to put it into full-scale production.

Instead, Honda is looking to hybrids to give it a sporty push for 2010 and beyond. It believes, like Lexus, that a small petrol engine with an electric booster will work best and also give the potential for emission-free electric running in cities.

"We are changing directions and looking more towards hybrids. The CR-Z is slated to be a sports car in the style of the original CR-X," Higgins says.

The production version of the CR-Z is expected at the Tokyo Motor Show in October, although it is unlikely that the two-seater coupe will now be developed into a droptop.

On the S2000 front, Higgins says it's not too late for fans to get a car.

"People can place an order until the end of April. They're looking like collector's items now," he says.

http://carsguide.news.com.au/site/motoring-news/story/honda_s2000_killed_off/?referrer=email

btm
5th February 2009, 03:19 PM
i thought they'd already canned them... hardly see any around

poita
5th February 2009, 03:25 PM
well according to that only 1818 have been sold in Aus, and you can only get one via special order.

not many around, but some of the ones around, dam hot!

btm
5th February 2009, 03:48 PM
most of them are too riced up for my liking

Wraith
5th February 2009, 04:04 PM
What a shame, always liked this car :(

I can recall when they were 1st released, they were a very impressive car for the day - engine wise there was nothing else around like it (not that I can recall anyways) it was a freak out to have a 170 something kw normally aspirated 2.0ltr 4 potter...

The fact that it's remained in production for so long with very little changes is a success in itself IMO :)

Good thing out of this though, is it looks more certain we'll see the new Honda NSX supercar become a reality, by all accounts this new NSX is meant to be able to blow the GT-R out of the water...more pain and misery for the Euro marks :lol:

poita
5th February 2009, 04:05 PM
sorry Ange

The S2000 decision comes after Honda confirmed it had canned its planned replacement for the NSX sports car.

nuggz
5th February 2009, 04:05 PM

sorry ange..

edit : DAMNIT PETE!@!~!!~

Wraith
5th February 2009, 04:07 PM
most of them are too riced up for my liking

Agreed, but left stock standard they look fantastic and should do for a long time to come IMO :)

They remind me alot of the Calibra in terms of design longevity :)

Wraith
5th February 2009, 04:09 PM
sorry ange..

edit : DAMNIT PETE!@!~!!~

Yeah, should be me saying sorry, was in a rush and misread that part of the article...DOH :mad2: LOL

USC
5th February 2009, 10:07 PM
Shame..love the S2000. I wonder what sort of technology they have pumped into this baby to get 170KW out of a 4 potter 2L engine..damn impressive!!!! Its a bit like mazda`s 1.3L N/A rotary engine...(im not saying the Honda has a rotary engine) but as impressive as the mazda rx8 engine :)

rjastra
5th February 2009, 11:24 PM
Shame..love the S2000. I wonder what sort of technology they have pumped into this baby to get 170KW out of a 4 potter 2L engine..damn impressive!!!! Its a bit like mazda`s 1.3L N/A rotary engine...(im not saying the Honda has a rotary engine) but as impressive as the mazda rx8 engine :)

VTEC + ability to rev = lots of kW :)

I had the fortune to drive a mates S2000 way back when the first came out. Rapid when thrashed.... fairly docile otherwise. Handling of his first series model was kinda weird.

BEK-46P
5th February 2009, 11:35 PM
Isn't (or wasn't) the S2K one of the fastest N/A cars around?

I always wanted to get one of those. My bro had a black one back in the day, gorgeous cars. Loved the red leather interior although it had shit-all leg room or any room for anything else for that matter!

btm
6th February 2009, 08:08 AM
Isn't (or wasn't) the S2K one of the fastest N/A cars around?

from memory its claim to fame was that is had the highest output for a n/a 4 potter on the market?? or something like that

not sure if it was the fastest

Wraith
6th February 2009, 08:18 AM
Somewhere in the mid to high 6sec bracket think it was for 0-100km/h...

Not bad at all back when they were 1st released :)

I remember reading the newspaper article on them at the time one morning at work and thinking the same as USC, this is, how the heck is this thing getting 177kw or so out of an N/A 2.0ltr, the only other N/A standout at the time that I could think of was the M3 with 252kw from 3.2ltrs, but the Honda was ahead in output per/litre...always knew though the torque would be low, therefore a high end screamer of an engine.

I wonder if this stop in production will cause their prices to rise or not on the S/H market...

Rond
6th February 2009, 08:36 AM
if i recall its claim to fame was that when it first came out it had the highest kw per tonne of any car on the market.

rjastra
6th February 2009, 09:51 AM
if i recall its claim to fame was that when it first came out it had the highest kw per tonne of any car on the market.

How could that be? It would therefore be one of the fastest cars on the road.

The kW/L was its claim to fame... but VTEC kicked in around 6000rpm. Below that it felt like a good 2L four cylinder. Therefore up to about 60km/h it wasn't that fast at all (no good for traffic light grand prix ) It was also 200kg heavier than an equivalent MX5. A MX5 SP (turbo) was faster and cheaper.

If Honda had dropped a 2.5-3L 6 under the bonnet they would have had a winner.

The later versions for the USA got a 2.2L engine that has slightly less power (and 1000rpm lower redline) but a better overall power spread.

Wraith
6th February 2009, 11:35 AM
^^^ Out of curiosity, what was the power rating of the 2.2ltr engine ???

CORZZA
6th February 2009, 12:27 PM
Well it was getting boring without any decent engine upgrades

rjastra
6th February 2009, 12:48 PM
Displacement (cc) 2157
Horsepower @ rpm (SAE net) 237 @ 7800
Torque (lb-ft @ rpm) 162 @ 6800
Redline (rpm) 8000

Wraith
6th February 2009, 12:56 PM
Displacement (cc) 2157
Horsepower @ rpm (SAE net) 237 @ 7800
Torque (lb-ft @ rpm) 162 @ 6800
Redline (rpm) 8000

Thanks rj :)

Not bad on the power, still well over 170kw...

Whoaful torque though, around 220nm all the way up at 6,800rpm...wonder how much it has around 2,500-4,000rpm ??

Still this engine has more torque through the rev range than the 2.0ltr unit ???