PDA

View Full Version : Mini Cooper S - My New Car

lowey22
4th February 2009, 03:38 PM
Hi, everyone!

It has been a while since I have been on hear, hope everyone is well.

Thought I would let you all know I have a new car, a 2002 black Mini Cooper S. I still have the Astra, but will probably sell it soon, although I don't really want to!

Wraith
4th February 2009, 03:42 PM
Noooooooo - don't sell the Astra that is, I was always looking forward to seeing a set of 19" Konig Unknowns on your car :)

Congratulations, hope you enjoy your new ride :)

Oh and pics or ban :p I'm not a fan of them (ie: Minis) but always like to see pics :)

sooty
4th February 2009, 03:49 PM
As stated...pics of ban...:p

Oh yeah, the 02, is that the supercharged or turbo'd?

Shay
4th February 2009, 03:56 PM
S for supercharged im pretty sure.

in which case you MUST unbolt it and send it to me.
or i shall be very unhappy. haha

been looking for a preloved eaton for ages

sooty
4th February 2009, 03:58 PM
S for supercharged im pretty sure.

in which case you MUST unbolt it and send it to me.
or i shall be very unhappy. haha

been looking for a preloved eaton for ages

Nah, mate's got a cooper S that's turbo'd :)
They changed from the supercharged to turbo'd setup..i just don't know which year it was in...

Shay
4th February 2009, 03:59 PM
Nah, mate's got a cooper S that's turbo'd :)
They changed from the supercharged to turbo'd setup..i just don't know which year it was in...

fair enough either way forced induction ftw

JohnBu
4th February 2009, 04:05 PM
fair enough either way forced induction ftw

new mini's came with a 1.6 turbocharged in 2007- same engine shared with the Peugeot 207 GTi.

prior to that they were supercharged.

Congrats I've always like the mini cooper S- but they are alot of money new.

sooty
4th February 2009, 04:08 PM
Sweet, thanks John for the clarification...
Mmmm...supercharger whine...:o

Wraith
4th February 2009, 04:21 PM
And it's a BMW engine too that one, apparently the best petrol 1.6ltr turbo going in the World ATM, that's one big reason I like the 207CC alot :)

lowey22
4th February 2009, 04:29 PM
Yeah, it is the supercharged version. Pics will come soon, just got to find some time to give it a decent wash and find a pretty place to take the pics.

It will be sad to see the Astra go, but we are switching to one car and a motorbike (have to get my motorbike licence first though!)

Shay - you can't have my supercharger!

JohnBu
4th February 2009, 04:42 PM
And it's a BMW engine too that one, apparently the best petrol 1.6ltr turbo going in the World ATM, that's one big reason I like the 207CC alot :)

wouldn't really say its a BMW engine, it's jointly developed with Peugeot Citroen and made in France- so really more French than German.

Nonetheless a great engine.

Wraith
4th February 2009, 04:57 PM
wouldn't really say its a BMW engine, it's jointly developed with Peugeot Citroen and made in France- so really more French than German.

Nonetheless a great engine.

Bloody BMW then, claiming it's theirs from what I've read :rollyeys1:

xplosv57
4th February 2009, 06:15 PM
The new 1.6 turbo was a joint BMW and Peugeot effort, not really a fan, much prefer the S/C ones, like Lowey's just purchased, congratulations!!!

They're a heap of fun and there are many aftermarket bits for them too!!

Nothing much really goes wrong with them either, and the few things that do usually were replaced under warranty also, so they're a good rig!!

Shaun
4th February 2009, 07:08 PM
Congrats on the purchase. You are going to enjoy the mini thats for sure. Ive been out with them guys back when i had my SRi T TS and they look so planted on the road.

rjastra
4th February 2009, 08:56 PM
The 1.6L in the series one MINI was designed by..... chrysler :)

USC
4th February 2009, 10:19 PM
Congrats! nice cars - my mate used to own one in red with white roof and huge alloys. Yep, the 2002 S were supercharged. Only the later model (when BMW took over) got turbo.

rjastra
4th February 2009, 10:22 PM
Congrats! nice cars - my mate used to own one in red with white roof and huge alloys. Yep, the 2002 S were supercharged. Only the later model (when BMW took over) got turbo.

BMW have been in charge the entire time the MINI has been on sale.

USC
4th February 2009, 10:38 PM
BMW have been in charge the entire time the MINI has been on sale.

oh yeh, you are right:p just looked in wikipedia...MG Rover was involved until 2000, then BMW took over.

Ok, to clarify the first series S was supercharged and later model is now turbo charged.

Wraith
5th February 2009, 09:11 AM
The 1.6L in the series one MINI was designed by..... chrysler :)

The plot thickens...:arf:

No wonder they use Eaton blowers :)

lowey22
5th February 2009, 10:37 AM
The new 1.6 turbo was a joint BMW and Peugeot effort, not really a fan, much prefer the S/C ones, like Lowey's just purchased, congratulations!!!

They're a heap of fun and there are many aftermarket bits for them too!!

Nothing much really goes wrong with them either, and the few things that do usually were replaced under warranty also, so they're a good rig!!

Yeah, they are a solidly built car for sure and super fun to drive. My wife and I both agree that there is not much practical use for the Mini, it is certainly a toy!

I have been looking around for aftermarket upgrades, but haven't found a good Australian supplier, although I am sure I can just get them posted from wherever. The problem is there sre too many to choose from! Might have to join a Mini forum to find out what is best! I am sure they won't be as nice or helpful as you guys ;)

xplosv57
5th February 2009, 12:14 PM
Oh i meant like John Cooper Works bits, there's heaps of stuff you can get from them, everything from badges to new cylinder heads!!

There was another company which did aftermarket stuff for Mini's but can't think of it off the top of my head, if it comes to me i'll let you know!

JohnBu
5th February 2009, 01:41 PM
There was another company which did aftermarket stuff for Mini's but can't think of it off the top of my head, if it comes to me i'll let you know!

Brotek?

xplosv57
5th February 2009, 01:48 PM
Haha actually BroTek did play with a Mini s/c a while back, but the duct tape didn't hold the charger in place so we gave up..........

nadg63
5th February 2009, 04:18 PM
Oh i meant like John Cooper Works bits, there's heaps of stuff you can get from them, everything from badges to new cylinder heads!!

JCW kit is good, just need to sell the car to pay for it though - bit over priced imho!?

Reckon the latter version of the car with the turbo instead of a blower may give more scope for tuning by regular tuners - just chuck a big Garrett on it!

xplosv57
5th February 2009, 04:27 PM
JCW kit is good, just need to sell the car to pay for it though - bit over priced imho!?

Reckon the latter version of the car with the turbo instead of a blower may give more scope for tuning by regular tuners - just chuck a big Garrett on it!

Oh yeah defientely expensive the JCW bits, but everything is covered under warranty, not many people offer that, even Walkinshaw stuff voids the factory warranty!!

Yeah i wouldn't go fitting a Garrett to a new R56 Mini, unless you want the front wheels to fall off!!! :p

nadg63
5th February 2009, 05:45 PM
Wasn't really being serious about the Garrett bit!

R3N
5th February 2009, 07:18 PM
first thing you should do... get a thicker rear sway bar... this car suffers from some serious understeer!

lowey22
6th February 2009, 12:22 PM
Yeah, JCW parts are expensive, but seem like a good way to go. I am not in a hurry to make it go faster, it is fast enough as it is for now.

The understeer isn't too bad, but I know what you are talking about. I find if I give it plenty half way through the corner and hook into it hard, it pulls through fine. There are a couple of things like that when you are driving it hard and if your not paying attention, you definitley notice it.

Nevertheless it is a pleasure to drive and the acceleration feels effortless, so much fun.

CORZZA
6th February 2009, 12:27 PM
Give us some pics

lowey22
6th February 2009, 05:49 PM
Give us some pics

Will take some this weekend for sure.

ROCCO
6th February 2009, 11:21 PM
pics or ban

lowey22
9th February 2009, 11:16 PM
Here are some pics of the Mini. Not the best shots, am getting some better ones taken soon...

http://i562.photobucket.com/albums/ss65/lowey22/Mini01.jpg

http://i562.photobucket.com/albums/ss65/lowey22/Mini02.jpg

http://i562.photobucket.com/albums/ss65/lowey22/Mini03.jpg

The previous owner liked James Bond gadgety stuff, so he put these stickers on.

http://i562.photobucket.com/albums/ss65/lowey22/Mini04.jpg

Vroom!

http://i562.photobucket.com/albums/ss65/lowey22/Mini05.jpg

Below is a photo that was taken a few weeks ago with the original plates. Also shown is the beloved Astra.

http://i562.photobucket.com/albums/ss65/lowey22/MiniandTheAstra.jpg

DEE-80Y
10th February 2009, 11:32 AM
lol I like the Bond stickers, but they must be annoying for you as your not used to what the ejector seat really does yet.

Were you a bit hesitant to flick some of the switches just incase he did more than just the stickers? :D

hazrd
10th February 2009, 11:54 AM
hahahaha @ bond switches

not a bad little car the minis, could never own one, i wouldnt fit!

lowey22
10th February 2009, 12:57 PM
Yeah, it took a couple of days to remember what each switch does. Still not sure what one of them does yet, have to look it up in the manual, but as yet have been too busy/lazy.

You would be surprised who can fit in there, the back seat isn't for tall people, but I have had 2 mates drive it that are 6"2' and 6"5. The taller one could straighten his legs out fully (with the seat all the way back), but both of them drove with their legs a little bit more bent than usual.