PDA

View Full Version : Ferrari F430 successor

Wraith
4th February 2009, 01:33 PM
We've all seen the not so glam looking Enzo successor test mule...can't say the same for this concept of the new F430 - WOW :eek1:

http://www.autoblog.com/2009/02/03/rumormill-churnin-away-on-ferrari-f430-replacement/

sooty
4th February 2009, 03:14 PM
i know it's just a concept..but it seems...i dunno...too out there and unrefined..

gman
4th February 2009, 11:12 PM
I don't like it...May look different in full size...

Wraith
5th February 2009, 09:04 AM
I don't like it...May look different in full size...

It does look a bit like a folded up transformer :lol:

gman
5th February 2009, 01:56 PM
:) So whats his Transformer name??? Fernando the Ferrari???

tomtom
5th February 2009, 11:19 PM
I'm...in love :D

Really like the white accents - I'm guessing its echoing to the Ferrari F1's scheme.

The proportions feel odd though

btm
6th February 2009, 07:47 AM
now that's more like it!

LOVE IT!

with the possible addition of a turbo or two

interesting...

Wraith
6th February 2009, 08:26 AM
:) So whats his Transformer name??? Fernando the Ferrari???

LOL kinda rolls off well from Enzo, so that would be a good choice :)

Wraith
6th February 2009, 08:28 AM
now that's more like it!

LOVE IT!

interesting...

Forced induction again for a Fezza...very interesting :)

CORZZA
6th February 2009, 12:28 PM
I love it!

Vectracious
8th February 2009, 01:26 AM
It talks about regenerative braking - but I thought regenerative braking was only used on electric cars or Hybrids - what could they be using it for here?

The car itself looks brilliant. :D

gman
8th February 2009, 02:38 AM
You can have regerative braking on a non-electric car. There are two ways it can work.

1: The regenerative braking uses electric motor(s) attached to either the gearbox or the front wheels and they act as a generator under braking providing resistance and then putting that stored energy backinto the system under acceleration though the same electric motors.

2: A heavy (dense metal usually a type of swarf material) is connected to the wheels and engaged/disengaged through a clutch to slow the wheels under braking. This spins up the flywheel under braking when the clutch is engaged, transferring the forward kinetic energy of the car to rotational kinetic energy of the flywheel. When the car accelerates the clutch re-engaes transferring the energy back into the system.

They both have draw backs.

System 1 has a large component weight, complexity and packaging issues.

System 2 also has weight issues, of the flywheel primarily and complexity of the clutch mechanism. There is also the issue of the rotational energy of the flywheel having a gyroscopic effect on the car making changes of direction more difficult. This added to the extra energy actually required to carry it around in the first place.

The new rule in F1 which allows regenerative braking has most likely prompted Ferrari to look at it for general use. Ferrari historically is usually the first to bring F1 tech to the road.

Vectracious
8th February 2009, 03:02 AM
so which system will F1 cars use - or can they use either?

gman
8th February 2009, 03:43 AM
so which system will F1 cars use - or can they use either?

From what I have read, the F1 "Kinetic Energy Recovery System" doesn't actually have a preferred or mandated systems. However, the FIA rules do stay:

5.2.3 The maximum power, in or out, of any KERS must not exceed 60kW (or approx: 80hp).

Energy released from the KERS may not exceed 400kJ in any one lap.

Measurements will be taken at the connection to the rear wheel drive train.

If you can get either system to fit in the car, weigh in as required and transmit the energy back through the drivetrain to the rear wheels then its pretty much free. Thought I would expect that the weight and size of a battery and motor package might be prohibitive. Then again, Toyota, Honda and Renault (through Nissan) all have good experience in this to draw on. It will be interesting to see what they use...

I though the new cars might have been released with systems some how attached ot the front wheels to aid in braking and reduce heat stress. But the new season cars don't appear to have KERS assemblies in the front (maybe a balance issue and also the requirementfor it to go to the rear wheels). Some of the cars are apparently not even going to use the KERS at all.