4th February 2009, 09:53 AM
any resemblance...? :p

http://img3.imageshack.us/img3/2989/carsmoviehb1.png

Senor Ed
4th February 2009, 09:59 AM
Only if you put a pig nose on it....lol

Wraith
4th February 2009, 12:04 PM
I'm of the opposite opinion, I like it... :)

The new bonnet looks awesome and o/a front end looks much better than the previous model IMO...the tail lights are the only thing that look a bit funny to me :skep: love the dual exhaust becoming standard on everything these days :thumbs:

Will as always reserve final judgement to when I see it in the flesh, pics nearly always never do justice to cars, in the metal they always look heaps better, recent example of this with me was the new WRX sedan, looks pretty average in pics, but has excellent styling and presence in real life IMO :)

I'm still hoping we see more power and torque and some tech/refinement in the mechanicals of this car compared to the previous model, maybe even a turbo version of the new 2.5 DISI engine :eek1:

rjastra
4th February 2009, 01:34 PM
I'm still hoping we see more power and torque and some tech/refinement in the mechanicals of this car compared to the previous model, maybe even a turbo version of the new 2.5 DISI engine :eek1:

AFAIK the 2.5 doesn't have direct injection... only the upcoming 2L DISI to be used in highspec mazda 3s in Europe/Japan.

Wraith
4th February 2009, 01:47 PM
AFAIK the 2.5 doesn't have direct injection... only the upcoming 2L DISI to be used in highspec mazda 3s in Europe/Japan.

Oh, didn't realise that...

I just assumed it had, because they've already got it in the 2.3 and it's the way to go for more power, more economy and less emissions, especially on a larger displacement engine...

Maybe future revisions for the 2.5ltr ??

simmy
4th February 2009, 01:53 PM
i like it very much... looks real nice

i agree about the WRX..didnt look to flashy in photos but in reality its not too bad.. i never use to like the new shape of the Astras either, until i saw one close up actually had a ride in one..

sooty
4th February 2009, 01:56 PM
Ugly as sin...god i hate that big smile type front air dam they keep going with...

nuggz
4th February 2009, 02:05 PM
i know it looks ugly

but i'll bet it'll look the money in the flesh

tomtom
4th February 2009, 02:46 PM
I'm loving that bonnet and rear end. The only thing thats crapping me is that lower grill. Looks waaay too happy.

USC
4th February 2009, 03:26 PM
does not look too bad..they ve reduced the happy face effect with the chrome trims in the bottom grille.

Jess
5th February 2009, 02:28 PM
i think its hot - just not the red.
bonnet scoop is hot imo

poita
5th February 2009, 02:32 PM
pics dont do it any justice at all, but will wait until i see one in teh flesh

oneightoo
5th February 2009, 03:00 PM
yeah i dont mind it..

would wanna see real photo's of it tho..

CORZZA
6th February 2009, 12:30 PM
I'm of the opposite opinion, I like it... :)

The new bonnet looks awesome and o/a front end looks much better than the previous model IMO...the tail lights are the only thing that look a bit funny to me :skep: love the dual exhaust becoming standard on everything these days :thumbs:

Will as always reserve final judgement to when I see it in the flesh, pics nearly always never do justice to cars, in the metal they always look heaps better, recent example of this with me was the new WRX sedan, looks pretty average in pics, but has excellent styling and presence in real life IMO :)

As do I.

With a more tunable 2.5 engine yummo

JohnBu
6th February 2009, 02:43 PM
I like it.

love the back and side..

not too fond of mr happy front.

but overall i like it.

i don't think too many people will be too dissapointed if it carries over the current engine as its top of the class at the moment. 190kw is nothing to be sneezed at either.

hope they improve the handling of it.

overall good work.

Wraith
6th February 2009, 03:58 PM
I'm still hoping and quite sure it'll have more power than the outgoing model...

It appears to be bigger in size therefore it'll be heavier, so it dosn't make sense for Mazda not to have 'upped' the power me thinks :arf:

Also I've recently read more articles suggesting it will feature this 'revo' system also used in the Focus RS, surely that means it can cope with/handle more power and might as well put that new opening in the bonnet to some purposeful use, would be great to see it with around 221kw / 430nm stock from factory :)

Also from one of the articles I read, they pictured one in blue colour, looked HOT...

Hopefully they'll expand the colour range as well compared to the outgoing model, this new shape will look fantastic in the lighter colours such as white IMO :)

Wraith
6th February 2009, 04:01 PM
not too fond of mr happy front.

The one little detail I love about the Mr happy front, is the way they've put a neat little MPS badge there to one side (on the right looking from the front) in my eyes that just looks so cool and completes the picture - very nice touch :)

Side on, the lower panel crease looks alot like that on the Hyundai i30...

lithium
6th February 2009, 04:42 PM
what type of intercooler does the old MPS run? even if it doesn't gain peak power the gaping hole in the bonnet should help on hot days in Oz

i like it but in a different way to the old MPS. its no longer the ultimate sleeper but now looks very happy and very hungry!

ROCCO
6th February 2009, 11:21 PM
wow...thats aggresive looking....I like it alot! very similar intake to the new WRX though

Wraith
7th February 2009, 01:07 PM
Here's a short 30sec. video of the new MPS 3 :)

Dosn't really show much, but you get a glimpse of things like the headlights and dial clusters lit up, the headlights styling when lit up looks very nice...

http://carscoop.blogspot.com/2009/02/video-2010-mazda3-mps-mazdaspeed3.html

Vectracious
7th February 2009, 01:13 PM
what type of intercooler does the old MPS run? even if it doesn't gain peak power the gaping hole in the bonnet should help on hot days in Oz

i like it but in a different way to the old MPS. its no longer the ultimate sleeper but now looks very happy and very hungry!

Old MPS had a top mount, but Mazda designed the bonnet differently so there was good airflow into the intercooler even without a bonnet scoop.

I reckon the bonnet scoop on the new one is like a last minute add on and takes away from the car - old model without a big gaping hole in the front looked a lot better.

hazrd
7th February 2009, 05:17 PM
i prefer the old MPS

the "happy" front is looking too much like a TL magna (how the lights continue on up the car if that makes sense lol) moreso on the 6

daiflu
7th February 2009, 07:34 PM
I love it!
The big mouth looks like a hungry Pacman coming to eat ya!

ROCCO
7th February 2009, 08:31 PM
I love it!
The big mouth looks like a hungry Pacman coming to eat ya!

LMAO....I love that comment....hungry pacman....chomp chomp chomp :D

USC
7th February 2009, 10:36 PM
Here's a short 30sec. video of the new MPS 3 :)

Dosn't really show much, but you get a glimpse of things like the headlights and dial clusters lit up, the headlights styling when lit up looks very nice...

http://carscoop.blogspot.com/2009/02/video-2010-mazda3-mps-mazdaspeed3.html

very nice! I want one:D
sorry if this has been answered before, but does anyone know the 0-100 time for the new mps?

Wraith
8th February 2009, 03:02 PM
very nice! I want one:D
sorry if this has been answered before, but does anyone know the 0-100 time for the new mps?

Not yet, no...

All the released literature so far just calls up the outgoing models time of 0-100km/h in 6.1sec. :)

Not bad at all considering the new Focus RS with heaps more power and new front end set up has been quoted at 5.9sec.

I have read that the new MPS 3 'will not' incorporate the torque limiting process in 1st and 2nd gears like the outgoing model...so if it only has the same power as current and if it will be of similar weight, that along with the improved chassis, suspension and FWD set up should make it quicker than the outgoing model...

I really can't see Mazda releasing a slower new model, lets just wait and see :)

I wonder if it'll be included at the upcoming international Melb. motor show, would love to see it up close and in the metal :)

Wraith
8th February 2009, 03:06 PM
LMAO....I love that comment....hungry pacman....chomp chomp chomp :D

LOL that is a new spin on the happy face thing, I like that :lol:

rjastra
12th February 2009, 11:18 AM
Side profile of Mazda 3 hatch: a bit overstyled in my opinion....

http://image.motortrend.com/f/auto_shows/coverage/chicago/14719352+w+soriginal/112_0902_03z+2010_mazda3_5_door+side_view.jpg

GreyRex
12th February 2009, 12:26 PM
Bulges and creases everywhere

The rear also seems to be very bottom heavy

Apparently it's meant to be at the Melbourne Motor Show, so we'll see...

USC
12th February 2009, 12:34 PM
Side looks very similar to current model...but i like it.

Wraith
12th February 2009, 12:51 PM
Side profile of Mazda 3 hatch: a bit overstyled in my opinion....

http://image.motortrend.com/f/auto_shows/coverage/chicago/14719352+w+soriginal/112_0902_03z+2010_mazda3_5_door+side_view.jpg

I like it - very similar side profile to the new Mazda 2 and it looks great in the metal :)

Along with the bulged and scooped bonnet, rear spoiler, twin exhaust, the MPS 3 should look the goods IMO...and the interior on the new 3 is very nice also :wink1:

Hopefully it'll be featured at the Melb. Int. motor show :)

sooty
12th February 2009, 01:15 PM
Wow that looks bad...!

TheOperator
12th February 2009, 01:30 PM
Mazda bosses came to one of my employers businesses the other day, first question everyone asked was "have you got better pics of new MPS?"

So they pulled out the official inside pics of all angles of the car and i can say it is awesome, looks so much better than any other pics out there. Also has some hidden surprises ;)

Anyway i've already got my name on the first one we receive for my Mrs and cannot wait :D

USC
12th February 2009, 02:07 PM
Wow that looks bad...!

u mean the astra cdti?:p

hmm..when will the MPS be released here? I know the new gen 3 comes out mid-2009..but not sure about the mps.

rjastra
12th February 2009, 02:26 PM
u mean the astra cdti?:p

hmm..when will the MPS be released here? I know the new gen 3 comes out mid-2009..but not sure about the mps.

I heard Sept/Oct 2009

Wraith
13th February 2009, 01:28 PM
Mazda bosses came to one of my employers businesses the other day, first question everyone asked was "have you got better pics of new MPS?"

So they pulled out the official inside pics of all angles of the car and i can say it is awesome, looks so much better than any other pics out there. Also has some hidden surprises ;)

Anyway i've already got my name on the first one we receive for my Mrs and cannot wait :D

Please tell us more :)

I'll bet the hidden surprises is what I'm so confident about and that is - more power and torque with this new model...yes ???

Can't wait to see the new MPS in the metal, from the pics and videos we've already seen, you can tell it's got alot more there to offer, both visually and mechanically :)

When do you expect to get yours and can you provide any pricing details ??? TIA. :smile2:

USC
13th February 2009, 03:42 PM
Do you think its a good idea to get the first series?? The second one always looks better...specially with mazdas..hehe

Wraith
13th February 2009, 04:08 PM
Do you think its a good idea to get the first series?? The second one always looks better...specially with mazdas..hehe

Maybe, maybe not...

There was no series 2 update with the outgoing Mazda 3 MPS...

Even the normal hatches and sedans recieved only minor changes - sedans getting the hatches LED tail light clusters was the main benifit :)

If this new MPS 3 comes out with the same engine/power as the outgoing model, then I agree - wait for an update, I reckon they'll eventually have a turbo version of the new 2.5ltr donk :)

rjastra
14th February 2009, 11:08 AM
If this new MPS 3 comes out with the same engine/power as the outgoing model, then I agree - wait for an update, I reckon they'll eventually have a turbo version of the new 2.5ltr donk :)

I am thinking they won't. The only car they use it in is the MPS3 and the CX7 (which is getting on in life and is considered a guzzler)

USC
15th February 2009, 12:36 AM
The 2.3 engine was already too advanced for its time...turbo with direct injection, torque control etc etc...so I doubt they will replace it soon.

Anyways, the series 2 mazda 3 got better noise insulation also.

The drawback to mazdas Ive noticed is that the paint work is very thin...not sure if its because they use water based paint from factory but it certainly does not look as thick as on Astras or any German cars (BMW etc). They scratch easily and wear easily on edges.

poita
15th February 2009, 12:38 AM
yer our 6 has a couple of scratches, gotta love shopping centres
and i agree USC the paint seems 'thin'

daiflu
15th February 2009, 09:22 AM
The drawback to mazdas Ive noticed is that the paint work is very thin...not sure if its because they use water based paint from factory but it certainly does not look as thick as on Astras or any German cars (BMW etc). They scratch easily and wear easily on edges.

The majority of Japanese car manufacturers use waterbased paint, alot of the german makers too. Even local Ford and Toyota. Waterbased paint does not limit you to any less dry film build than solvent based paint.
I haven't looked at mazda paint closely, but can tell you it has nothing to do with being waterbased.

USC
15th February 2009, 10:23 AM
Waterbased paint seems to be softer than 2k and has more orange peel...the finish is not as nice.

Senor Ed
15th February 2009, 10:54 AM
Have you also noticed on mazda's (well i have in the last two melbourne motorshows) that the paint used on the exterior is not the same as the ones in the door jambs. It is especially noticable on red mazda's where the exterior is a nice red gloss paint whereas the paint in the door jambs is pale; almost pink.

I saw it on an RX-8 and mazda 6

poita
15th February 2009, 06:15 PM
same as with the falcons though senor, esepcially colours like acid rush.
they dont spray teh metallic finish into some of the jambs and engine bay

daiflu
15th February 2009, 06:33 PM
That's right, and Toyota do it too, they have an interior colour, which is a non metalic version, often with better hiding power. Cheaper too.

Waterbased paint seems to be softer than 2k and has more orange peel...the finish is not as nice.

That's correct the waterbased basecoat usually is softer than solvent based product, and often appears to have more peel.
However the clearcoat used is solvent based 1K (OEM, don't use 2K on the body) and therefore is usually just as resistant as a solvent based system.
Waterbased does have it avantages though, including being able to achive brighter, cleaner colour.

USC
15th February 2009, 09:46 PM
That's right, and Toyota do it too, they have an interior colour, which is a non metalic version, often with better hiding power. Cheaper too.

That's correct the waterbased basecoat usually is softer than solvent based product, and often appears to have more peel.
However the clearcoat used is solvent based 1K (OEM, don't use 2K on the body) and therefore is usually just as resistant as a solvent based system.
Waterbased does have it avantages though, including being able to achive brighter, cleaner colour.

Factory uses 2k clear coat..I have tested..trust me (on many different brands of cars..honda, mazda, opel, nissan, daihatsu, toyota)...with automotive thinners. 1k would have melted straight away! factory finish resists the thinners.

Nissans are notorious for having bad paint too...interior of door jambs etc and the edge on some panels sometimes appear like not painted cos the colour ends there!!

daiflu
16th February 2009, 08:09 AM
It depends what your definition of 2K paint is. Usually 2K reffers to a two component system, ie where there are two parts supplied and mixed before application.
In this sense of the word, OEM manufacturers do not use or reffer to 2K paint on the body.
Trust me..... I make the stuff!

Wraith
16th February 2009, 09:04 AM
Paint topic aside, back on the MPS 3, (and the other new 3's) there's an interesting feature called 'i-stop' which is meant to improve efficiency by 12% even on the MPS model, found numerous articles mentioning it, but none really expalaining what it is or how it works...Mazda trade secret maybe :lol:

Apparently this puts the new Mazda 3 range in the Euro 'class 5' bracket for economy and emissions (whatever that is) but sounds good, as the current outgoing MPS 3 is a bit of a guzzler if you drive it hard...

Should know more on all of this by early next month, once the car has broken cover...

USC
16th February 2009, 11:00 AM
It depends what your definition of 2K paint is. Usually 2K reffers to a two component system, ie where there are two parts supplied and mixed before application.
In this sense of the word, OEM manufacturers do not use or reffer to 2K paint on the body.
Trust me..... I make the stuff!

yep, 2k compromises of the paint and the hardener. Its a chemical reaction that cures the paint (In a warm booth usually), and will not dry in air unless hardener is added. Manufacturers do not mention 2k but they HAVE BEEN using it since the 90`s. Prior to that, it was just 1k air dry paint (could be enamel or something).

Do you work for a car manufacturer or something? how do u know they dont use 2k clear coat?? u make the stuff for who??

re: water based..im not entirely sure how it works but it needs a special process to cure (UV light or something I heard).

daiflu
16th February 2009, 11:45 AM
Mate, it's obvious to me that you don't know as much as you think you do about the automotive OEM supply and application of coatings.
I'm just going to leave it there, as this thread is ment to be about the upcoming Mazda 3 MPS (something I am looking forward to) and not paint.

Wraith
16th February 2009, 11:46 AM
You'll be thrilled at this then ^^^^ :)

Looks like the new MPS 3 will definitely be at the Melb. Int. motor show next month !

It'll be there on the Mazda stand on Wednesday March 4th :)

Also of interest, Australia will get the new Mazda 3 with the TDi engine option, AFAIK, it'll be the same TDi as used in the new 6 range and I've read it's one of the best turbo diesel units on the market ATM :)

http://www.caradvice.com.au/22600/australia-among-the-first-to-see-new-mazda3-mps/

TheOperator
16th February 2009, 12:04 PM
Please tell us more :)

I'll bet the hidden surprises is what I'm so confident about and that is - more power and torque with this new model...yes ???

Can't wait to see the new MPS in the metal, from the pics and videos we've already seen, you can tell it's got alot more there to offer, both visually and mechanically :)

When do you expect to get yours and can you provide any pricing details ??? TIA. :smile2:

To answer your questions directly i'd get shot, oh well :D

The person involved was being coy even with us, but over 210KW is a big chance from reading between the lines! (i asked "is 200+ KW happening, answer was with smile "cannot confirm nor deny"). Also torque is no longer restricted in 1st and 2nd, chassis tweaks allow for full power in all gears :D

I also believe 19s will be standard wheel fitment or a option, this is still to be confirmed ;)

As for me getting one, i'm hoping to get it in September at a price a i can't say as i get a different pricing structure to general public ;)

We were told price will not be changing from outgoing model, so starting at 38K

rjastra
16th February 2009, 12:05 PM
i-stop is just engine stop/start. hardling startling in its own right... the manner in which it is done is interesting though.

If i am not mistaken its only on the direct injection engine (2L - which we wont get). It uses a squirt of petrol to ignite then restart the engine. No starter motor required in those situations.

http://www.autoblog.com/2008/09/09/mazda-introduces-clever-start-stop-system-with-direct-injection/

The person involved was being coy even with us, but over 210KW is a big chance from reading between the lines! (i asked "is 200+ KW happening, answer was with smile "cannot confirm nor deny"). Also torque is no longer restricted in 1st and 2nd, chassis tweaks allow for full power in all gears

LOL.... more power or better economy? I reckon same power and better economy.

Wraith
16th February 2009, 02:00 PM
To answer your questions directly i'd get shot, oh well :D

The person involved was being coy even with us, but over 210KW is a big chance from reading between the lines! (i asked "is 200+ KW happening, answer was with smile "cannot confirm nor deny"). Also torque is no longer restricted in 1st and 2nd, chassis tweaks allow for full power in all gears :D

I also believe 19s will be standard wheel fitment or a option, this is still to be confirmed ;)

As for me getting one, i'm hoping to get it in September at a price a i can't say as i get a different pricing structure to general public ;)

We were told price will not be changing from outgoing model, so starting at 38K

Excellent - I hope your right...would love to see it with around 210kw and 420nm - much the same as the MPS 3 extreme vehicle being shown off by Mazda of the outgoing model.

Full power in 1st and 2nd is a sure hint to the 'revo knuckle' FWD LSD set up !!!

If it gets even more power even better, that will negate the need to tune it up, as there's not much around for these on that side of things...

Price tag being same as outgoing model is great news :cornut:

Wraith
16th February 2009, 02:05 PM
i-stop is just engine stop/start. hardling startling in its own right... the manner in which it is done is interesting though.

If i am not mistaken its only on the direct injection engine (2L - which we wont get). It uses a squirt of petrol to ignite then restart the engine. No starter motor required in those situations.

http://www.autoblog.com/2008/09/09/mazda-introduces-clever-start-stop-system-with-direct-injection/

LOL.... more power or better economy? I reckon same power and better economy.

Don't know about that one rj, AFAIK I think Mazda are more concerned with having the efficiency side of things taken care of by the N/A petrol models, with the turbo diesel for the extreme efficiency orientated people and the MPS 3 for the sporting/performance orientated people, that way they've got a Mazda 3 model for all tastes/requirements :)

I reckon they'll step up the ante with the MPS 3 on the performance side in order to continue to successfully compete with their rivals :)

We'll know for sure soon enough :)

As for the i-stop, all the reports I've read (including link I've pasted above) say it will cover ALL engine models, including the MPS 3 turbo donk :)

USC
16th February 2009, 02:13 PM
Mate, it's obvious to me that you don't know as much as you think you do about the automotive OEM supply and application of coatings.
I'm just going to leave it there, as this thread is ment to be about the upcoming Mazda 3 MPS (something I am looking forward to) and not paint.

lol..OK.
I was just interested to know how much u can tell us..but obviously u dont know much either. r u a chemical engineer or something or just a factory worker bragging to know everything about paint??
Anyone interested read here: http://www.mobileworks.com/auto-paint-finishes.html

2 types of clearcoat: 1k heat activated or 2k. Now they have water based technology and other new stuff.

Back to the topic, i will be interested to know how the i stop technology works :)...I wonder if wikipedia has a description for it.

hazrd
16th February 2009, 09:42 PM
Search results

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

You searched for i stop (http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=I_stop&action=edit&redlink=1) (all pages starting with "i stop" (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Special:PrefixIndex/i_stop) | all pages that link to "i stop" (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Special:WhatLinksHere/i_stop))

Jump to: navigation (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Special:Search?search=i+stop&go=Go#column-one), search (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Special:Search?search=i+stop&go=Go#searchInput)
No article title matches

sorry dude lol

rjastra
16th February 2009, 11:13 PM
The Mazda3 with i-stop embodies Sustainable Zoom-Zoom and adds a new eco-friendly option to the lineup. It features the i-stop system in combination with the MZR 2.0 DISI (Direct Injection Spark Ignition) engine. Together, these two Mazda proprietary technologies help the new model achieve approximately 12 percent lower fuel consumption (urban cycle) than the current European Mazda3. By providing great driving performance as well as top-class fuel economy, the Mazda3 with i-stop is a different type of eco-car that will exceed customer expectations.

We (and the yanks) dont get this engine in the new mazda 3 range.

I am not sure that thrashing an MPS3, then having its engine shut down at the first set of traffic lights is a recipe for turbo longevity :)

chrissn89
16th February 2009, 11:18 PM

I am not sure that thrashing an MPS3, then having its engine shut down at the first set of traffic lights is a recipe for turbo longevity :)
Very very good point. Unless the oil and coolant kept running through the turbo.... Im sure the air-con would stay on some how? Electronic pump?

Vectracious
16th February 2009, 11:24 PM
r u a chemical engineer or something

yeah, he is actually.

Wraith
17th February 2009, 09:01 AM

True that above, but maybe Mazda engineers have worked it all out to operate on forced inducted engines as well ;)

Because there are numerous reports which say the following too...re: end of 3rd line :)

All-new Mazda3 i-stop, Mazda3 MPS to Premiere at the 2009 Geneva Motor Show
Mazda Motor Corporation will debut two new models of the all-new Mazda3 (known as Mazda Axela in Japan) product range at the 2009 Geneva International Motor Show from March 3 through 15, 2009. The world premiere of the Mazda3 with i-stop, Mazda's advanced fuel-saving start-stop system, "will be shared with the all-new Mazda3 MPS" Mazda3's high performance flagship model. The Mazda3 MPS (Mazdaspeed Axela) now features improved fuel economy and emissions that satisfy Euro Stage 5.

Mazda3 i-stop

http://jalopnik.com/5145191/2010-mazdaspeed3-mazda3-i+stop-heading-to-geneva

Another interesting thing I've been reading alot of is that the the U.S 'Mazdaspeed' variant of the MPS 3 will have a turbocharged version of the new 2.5ltr engine...

Some suggest despite the different engine it'll be rated at the same power as the 2.3ltr unit, whilst other reports suggest, the U.S MPS 3 will be a 221kw machine with the 2.5ltr unit, all interesting news, I'd say that ' if ' the U.S market gets a 2.5ltr forced inducted engine, this will eventually move through to other markets as well - maybe a mid life or series 2 update for the rest...

USC
17th February 2009, 09:38 AM
yeah, he is actually.

a good one..that didnt skip any classes at uni?:p

well, what he was saying about OEM using 1k only was wrong.

rjastra
17th February 2009, 10:25 AM
The world premiere of the Mazda3 with i-stop, Mazda's advanced fuel-saving start-stop system, will be shared with the all-new Mazda3 MPS, Mazda3's high performance flagship model. The Mazda3 MPS (Mazdaspeed Axela) now features improved fuel economy and emissions that satisfy Euro Stage 5.

LOL If you read it correctly it is about the Mazda 3 2L DISI model with i-stop and the MPS3 sharing the billing at the upcoming Geneva Motorshow. It is not about the MPS3 having i-Stop. Notice the use of the "," ;)

If you read further into the article it states:

The Mazda3 with i-stop embodies Sustainable Zoom-Zoom and adds a new eco-friendly option to the lineup. It features the i-stop system in combination with the MZR 2.0 DISI (Direct Injection Spark Ignition) engine.

Wraith
17th February 2009, 10:36 AM
LOL If you read it correctly it is about the Mazda 3 2L DISI model with i-stop and the MPS3 sharing the billing at the upcoming Geneva Motorshow. It is not about the MPS3 having i-Stop. Notice the use of the "," ;)

If you read further into the article it states:

Yes, that's true rj, but the 2nd part says that the new MPS now features improved fuel economy and emissions to satisfy Euro Stage 5 - that's what made me think it's related to the i-stop :) so it may or may not be ??

The " " exclamation marks on my other post were put there by me to highlight the MPS 3 comments, the original article dosn't have them...check the link I posted :)

Either way we'll know soon, would be a good thing for the new MPS 3 to have this fuel saving feature :)

daiflu
17th February 2009, 10:55 AM
a good one..that didnt skip any classes at uni?:p

well, what he was saying about OEM using 1k only was wrong.

Haha, you crack me up dude.
You just can't accept that someone could possibly know more than you about automotive coatings.
You even changed your post with a link and stated that OEM manufacturers use both 1K and 2K systems.
So as I said before, 1K for body.
2K is for bumpers and hang on parts (spoilers, door handles, mirrors etc)
As I've also told you (seems things don't sink in too quickly with you), I make the stuff!
That's right mate, formulate basecoat and topcoat for OEM automotive manufacturers. Let me simplify it for you: I chose the chemicals and quantities, perform extensive lab testing, oversee production, then I go to the car manufacturers and ensure that the product runs correctly.
I think that gives me a pretty good idea about what systems they're running. And guess what, It's pretty similar all around the world!

So tell me again that I'm wrong mate, and this time why don't you include a brief (as I'm sure it is) summary of how you came to know so much about automotive coatings. Read a book did ya mate? Talk to your neighbour who's a spraypainter?

Sorry to all the decent OA members who read this thread for info on the up comming MPS, but some people :rolleyes:

USC: put up, or shut up!

Wraith
17th February 2009, 11:50 AM
It's all good ^^^^

I've actually learnt something from all of that :)

USC
17th February 2009, 02:21 PM
Haha, you crack me up dude.
You just can't accept that someone could possibly know more than you about automotive coatings.
You even changed your post with a link and stated that OEM manufacturers use both 1K and 2K systems.
So as I said before, 1K for body.
2K is for bumpers and hang on parts (spoilers, door handles, mirrors etc)
As I've also told you (seems things don't sink in too quickly with you), I make the stuff!
That's right mate, formulate basecoat and topcoat for OEM automotive manufacturers. Let me simplify it for you: I chose the chemicals and quantities, perform extensive lab testing, oversee production, then I go to the car manufacturers and ensure that the product runs correctly.
I think that gives me a pretty good idea about what systems they're running. And guess what, It's pretty similar all around the world!

So tell me again that I'm wrong mate, and this time why don't you include a brief (as I'm sure it is) summary of how you came to know so much about automotive coatings. Read a book did ya mate? Talk to your neighbour who's a spraypainter?

Sorry to all the decent OA members who read this thread for info on the up comming MPS, but some people :rolleyes:

USC: put up, or shut up!

lol..were you in charge of the project when they were painting VP`s and VN`s??

lithium
17th February 2009, 02:42 PM
if the new MPS front end has been improved so it can put down full torque in 1st and 2nd i think that's a significant performance increase over the old model already. hopefully those improvements will help it pull more nicely out of corners too

boosting engine output/torque would be mostly for marketing points i'd imagine!

sooty
17th February 2009, 02:52 PM
Was just reading top gear magazine (ed 009 March 2009) and it says

Adding a scoopy bonnet to a model is the automotive equivilant of wearing a neon codpiece to an Elton John concert; it's a very public announcement that you're ready for unusual action. Mazda's second crack at a hot-poop Mazda3 takes the manic motion from its first attempt and combines it with a 'check out my package, baby!' body kit that would bring tears to Elton's eyes.
Mazda is making big claims about the new MPS, using words like "razor-sharp", "ferocity" and "aggressive". Given that they're the same words used to describe the previous model (in addition to a sweary suffix or two), here's hoping that Hiroshima has figured out how to tame the brutal toque-steer beast that afflicted the last one.
It'll still carry the always-angry 2.3-litre turbocharged four, with its might 190kw and 380nm output channelled through the front end.

So they say no diff in power output :confused: weird...

lithium
17th February 2009, 02:59 PM
yeah looks like...
i've always thought the MPS had more than enough power though, getting it down was the problem. put it in perspective, the MPS has 380Nm peak torque which is only 20Nm shy of the latest M3 :yikes: which is a good old fashioned rear driver :)

Wraith
17th February 2009, 03:49 PM
We'll just have to wait n see guys :)

If it features that much mentioned RevoKnuckle front end set up as used on the RS Focus, then it should also have more power and torque, since the RS Focus is running 224kw and 440nm through the same set up.

It also depends on the cars final weight, if it weighs more, then it'll have to have more power and torque to offset the weight increase, because dispite having 100% power and torque in all gears, a lower power/weight ratio might cause it to go backwards in performance compared to the outgoing model...

I'm getting itchy to see it in the flesh to decide whether or not it appeals to me :)

Wraith
18th February 2009, 11:30 AM
More intruiging news on the new Mazda 3 line up is that they might also feature a DSG type twin clutch automated manual trans option...

Probably be more similar to Mitsubishis' new SST introduced on the new Lancer range...

An MPS 3 equipped with this trans would be awesome :)

http://mazda3revolution.com/mazda3-guide/2011-mazda-3-receive-i-stop-technology-dual-clutch-gearbox/

rjastra
18th February 2009, 01:52 PM
More intruiging news on the new Mazda 3 line up is that they might also feature a DSG type twin clutch automated manual trans option...

Probably be more similar to Mitsubishis' new SST introduced on the new Lancer range...

An MPS 3 equipped with this trans would be awesome :)

http://mazda3revolution.com/mazda3-guide/2011-mazda-3-receive-i-stop-technology-dual-clutch-gearbox/

"Stole" it from Ford I assume that already offer such a gearbox on the Focus ;)

some info....http://cars.uk.msn.com/Reviews/article.aspx?cp-documentid=8457678

It also makes you wonder why Mazda can't offer this gearbox on the Mazda 3 diesels.

Wraith
18th February 2009, 04:07 PM
"Stole" it from Ford I assume that already offer such a gearbox on the Focus ;)

some info....http://cars.uk.msn.com/Reviews/article.aspx?cp-documentid=8457678

It also makes you wonder why Mazda can't offer this gearbox on the Mazda 3 diesels.

Whilst Ford and Mazda are joined, they might as well share the parts bin around :)

Spreading across the whole range will probably only be a matter of time rj... :)

Wraith
3rd March 2009, 09:43 AM
Here are some latest release pics of the new MPS 3 in real life...I'll have more pics from the Melb. motor show later this week, specs will be released sometime today after its unveiling in Geneva...U.S version will have 'technology pack' option like the Mitsubishi Lancer which features keyless entry and push button start, hopefully we'll get the same option here in Aust.

Looks HOT IMO both inside and outside :)

http://i43.tinypic.com/2urt1yx.jpg

http://i43.tinypic.com/2mfdr0y.jpg

http://i43.tinypic.com/2h50c43.jpg

http://i40.tinypic.com/1qjpf8.jpg

http://i44.tinypic.com/4tvgd4.jpg

http://i42.tinypic.com/293v8n5.jpg

GreyRex
3rd March 2009, 11:13 AM
Much much better, especially in the real/road pictures

The bulge in the bonnet is probably a little too prononced (read: bulbous) from the side, but from the front it looks good

lee683
3rd March 2009, 12:29 PM
i dont like the front. looks like its got a stupid grin on it.

Senor Ed
3rd March 2009, 12:54 PM

+1

I think it is still ugly....

Shay
3rd March 2009, 12:56 PM
i really like it
but agree it looks pretty happy.

but im biased, always been a big fan of mazda's, and my family has owned a couple of them.

Wraith
3rd March 2009, 01:21 PM

Your not alone, that's been the most mentioned thing on this new MPS 3 since it 1st appeared...front end looks like it's very happy, bit like this smiley :lol:

As I mentioned in another thread, I've seen the similar front on the new Mazda 3 hatch at the Melb. motor show and in real life it's not that bad as it looks in pics :)

USC
3rd March 2009, 01:28 PM
looks hots. I reckon if you colour code that black strip on the front bumper, the simley face will be less noticable. Anyone able to photoshop?

rjastra
3rd March 2009, 01:50 PM
The bulky body makes the 18inch wheels look very small.

sooty
3rd March 2009, 02:06 PM
looks hots. I reckon if you colour code that black strip on the front bumper, the simley face will be less noticable. Anyone able to photoshop?

It's not great due to my lack of skill at photoshop....but definitely looks better
http://i41.tinypic.com/hvp3d1.jpg

GreyRex
3rd March 2009, 02:27 PM
As 'good' as the new WRX is, (on paper) I feel id take this over it (considering they'll both be round the 40K mark)

Looks hot

I waited a week to go to the Motor Show purely to check it out:rolleyes:

Orion_996
3rd March 2009, 07:40 PM
Its definitely growing on me, can't wait to see one in flesh....

poita
3rd March 2009, 07:45 PM
still not yet convinced on the big smile

Orion_996
3rd March 2009, 07:59 PM
still not yet convinced on the big smile

true, but nothing a little hacksaw action can't fix :cornut:

poita
3rd March 2009, 08:11 PM
true, but nothing a little brotek action can't fix :cornut:

rjastra
4th March 2009, 12:41 AM
More info:

http://www.ausmotive.com/2009/03/03/2009-mazda3-mps-image-gallery.html#more-524

i-stop isn't on the MPS3 nor is the suspension of the Focus RS.

Thoughts on the interesting interior colour scheme...

http://www.ausmotive.com/images/Mazda3-MPS-16.jpg

Apex
4th March 2009, 07:04 AM
The dial housings are a bit over exaggerated, like the BMW E60 interior grab handles and overall dash shape.

Would look a lot sleeker with a front mounted intercooler, it’s not like it wouldn’t get enough air!!

GreyRex
4th March 2009, 08:28 AM
Well further details have been released:

Using a nearly identical MZR 2.3-litre DISI turbocharged petrol engine from its predecessor, the new MPS remains as one of the most powerful front-wheel drive compact cars.

The slightly updated engine now produces 191kW at 5500rpm and the same peak torque of 380Nm at 3000rpm - a wise decision considering the car’s current criticisms.

In addition to this, increased stiffness of the left and right drive shafts also help to minimise torque steer, while recalibrated engine management settings suppress sudden (read: massive) torque peaks.... hence the torque steer

Optimised aerodynamics has helped reduce fuel consumption from 9.7-litres per 100km on the previous model to 9.2-litres per 100km on the new-generation MPS.

The six-speed manual transmission uses a compact, three-shaft design that reduces the overall length, whilst a wider gear ratio setting allows drivers to fully exploit the wide torque band of the DISI Turbo engine.
To further differentiate this potent model from the rest of the range,

Mazda has added a few obvious aggressive design features including a new bonnet air intake, larger floating spoiler and a new bumper design exclusive to the MPS.

The brake system comprises large diameter 320mm ventilated disc brakes in the front and 280mm solid discs at the rear, combined with wider Dunlop 225/40R18 tyres - proven through extensive test drives at Germany’s famed Nürburgring.

Inside, the driver-orientated, wrap-around cockpit features semi-bucket front seats with red highlights, a new LED turbo boost gauge and cluster design.

Wraith
4th March 2009, 09:22 AM
Read the same thing yesterday myself Miz...^^^^

I'm dissapointed it hasn't had a major power hike along with the incorporation of the trick Quaife LSD and Revoknuckle set up of the Focus RS - maybe in a future update though ??? will have to explore what can be done with aftermarket tunes on this new MPS 3 as it's new revised set up will easily handle more power and torque IMO.

Despite that I'm wrapped to hear it's performance and economy is greatly improved, both straight line and on track conditions, apparently it eclipses the outgoing models Nurb. time, so it sounds like a top performer for sure, we'll just have to wait for the usual reviews and journo test reports, which should be many to come shortly :)

I'm going to check it out tonight at the Melb. auto show, should be interesting, looking forward to seeing the interior, I've already seen the interior in the basic new 3 and it's very nice and is definitely high quality ! from the pics so far of the new MPS 3 interior, IMO it's great, much better than any other Japanese car interior and as good or better than some of the better Euro hatches IMO...love the subdued red colour scheme and a digital boost gauge - awesome :)

Hopefully it'll come with keyless entry and push button start...as for the exterior, the 19" wheel option or an aftermaket set of 19's with a nice lowering job and a couple of nice exhaust mufflers and tips out back will be all it needs to look and sound complete IMO :)

USC
4th March 2009, 09:29 AM
Read the same thing yesterday myself Miz...^^^^

I'm dissapointed it hasn't had a major power hike along with the incorporation of the trick Quaife LSD and Revoknuckle set up of the Focus RS - maybe in a future update though ??? will have to explore what can be done with aftermarket tunes on this new MPS 3 as it's new revised set up will easily handle more power and torque IMO.

Despite that I'm wrapped to hear it's performance and economy is greatly improved, both straight line and on track conditions, apparently it eclipses the outgoing models Nurb. time, so it sounds like a top performer for sure, we'll just have to wait for the usual reviews and journo test reports, which should be many to come shortly :)

I'm going to check it out tonight at the Melb. auto show, should be interesting, looking forward to seeing the interior, I've already seen the interior in the basic new 3 and it's very nice and is definitely high quality ! from the pics so far of the new MPS 3 interior, IMO it's great, much better than any other Japanese car interior and as good or better than some of the better Euro hatches IMO...love the subdued red colour scheme :)

Hopefully it'll come with keyless entry and push button start...as for the exterior, the 19" wheel option or an aftermaket set of 19's with a nice lowering job and a couple of nice exhaust mufflers and tips out back will be all it needs to look and sound complete IMO :)

Are you thinking of getting one?:D

Wraith
4th March 2009, 09:33 AM
Thoughts on the interesting interior colour scheme...

From all the pics, I like it - will let you know after tonight though what it's like in the flesh :)

Wraith
4th March 2009, 09:38 AM
Are you thinking of getting one?:D

It's high on my list for my new daily drive...don't have the everyday traffic issues I had up until a couple of years ago, so even a MT vehicle for a DD would be ok :)

Was really wanting to get a nice small efficient 4 or TDi (I really like the new 3 with the 2.2ltr TDi also) but can't pull away or ignore the higher performance new cars like this one and it's reasonable price bracket/bang for buck etc. which would be a thrill to drive, despite the extra fuel burn expenses...we'll see :)

GreyRex
4th March 2009, 10:24 AM
I dont get it.

You're looking at a 3 MPS? A Diesel? A 4 cylinder? A TTS? A TT RS?

You're looking at one car?

You're looking at two?

You seem a test drive a lot

Wraith
4th March 2009, 10:48 AM
I dont get it.

You're looking at two?

Yes, I've been planning a 2 car update for quite some time now :)

For a new DD was wanting to get as efficient and practicle as possible, so am looking at the new crop of TDi's and small 4 potters like the new Fiesta in the market place, but will always have a strong fancy towards the high po bridgade (as would all of us car enthusiasts) so will probably end up settling for something like the MPS 3 or new Golf Gti...see what takes my fancy when I'm ready to go :)

As for the Audi TTS or other pricey exotics, it was a sure thing right up until October last year, but the current and worsening economic climate has forced me to abandon that course of action (for now anyway) because I have no assurance of job security for the long run in my profession and I don't want to sell off assets either just to fund it, it's not a good time for that either ATM, so it's not justified to take the risk and spend that kind of money on what will be essentially a new toy, not neccessity, however a new DD is something I'll need over the next year or 2 and the vehicles I'm looking at are all within or below mid 40k's :)

Test drives is something everyone should do on any car of interest and as an enthusiast I'll do it just for the fun and pleasure of it, so yes lots of that for me :) at the end of the day, it's no skin off the dealers noses, that's what the the demo vehicles are there for ;)

rjastra
4th March 2009, 01:04 PM
The MPS3 hardly makes sense as a DD - its urban consumption is rather bad at 13.5L/100km

Wraith
4th March 2009, 01:31 PM
The MPS3 hardly makes sense as a DD - its urban consumption is rather bad at 13.5L/100km

Yes, I too have acknowledged that, it's fuel burn is an issue but it'll be so much more pleasurable to drive than most if not all of the far more efficient alternatives, also depends on mileage one covers per average year, shouldn't be much of a concern if that's on the low side :)

Good mate has the current MPS 3 and always bitches about the consumption, but loves it to death everytime he drives it - catch 22...

I've got plenty of time up my sleeve, so will see what the new Golf series and others are all about when they're released...

USC
4th March 2009, 02:59 PM
I dont get it.

You're looking at two?

seems like you are a bit jealous:p

GreyRex
4th March 2009, 03:34 PM
seems like you are a bit jealous:p

Umm no

I simply asked what he was actually looking at

Wraith
4th March 2009, 04:59 PM
Umm no

I simply asked what he was actually looking at

That's alright Miz. :)

Hopefully my post above answered any confusion :)

Wraith
4th March 2009, 09:48 PM
OK so I hit the Melb. motor show again today and checked out and took some pics of the new MPS 3, as per my comments in the motor show thread, it was a bit of a fizzer rather than a cracker, IMO mainly because the car there on display wasn't an Aust. spec vehicle and it had black tint restricting viewing the interior and all the Mazda staff people there basically had NFI about the car, I got absolutely SFA info on it :mad:

The only interesting conversation I got from them was a very high reccomendation and even their pick of the bunch of all the new 3 variants, including the MPS 3, for the 136kw / 400nm turbo diesel variant (same donk as the new Mazda 6 TDi) which is still uncertain as to whether or not its coming to Aust. so might just wait and see what happens on that front...

Now as for its looks, I still think it's not bad, that smiley front end really is pronounced in the metal, I'd only seen the 'normal' variant before and it didn't stand out that much, but the mps 3 smiley front is very happy indeed :D

The car on display featured keyless entry, (something I figured from looking at the door handles) so would've also had push button start, maybe a Jap spec. car ??

Anyway here's some pics and I'll include some of the new SP25 hatch for comparison, BTW I love the new 'Celestail' blue colour, it looks alot like Arden blue :)

http://i41.tinypic.com/2drxu1x.jpg
http://i41.tinypic.com/2n99aue.jpg
http://i44.tinypic.com/6yplx0.jpg
http://i39.tinypic.com/30ngqyw.jpg
http://i39.tinypic.com/36l29.jpg
http://i44.tinypic.com/1tppw1.jpg

sooty
4th March 2009, 09:54 PM
Hate it even more lol...

Wraith
4th March 2009, 10:25 PM
Hate it even more lol...

OK then, normal new 3 hatch with 2.2ltr 136kw / 400nm TDi for you then :p

If the TDi looks as good as the new SP25 and if Mazda bring it into Aust. IMHO this variant will be a top seller ;)

USC
4th March 2009, 11:02 PM
hmmm...what`s the go with that huge grin on the front:yikes:????

I hope series 2 gets rid of it!! somehow..Im really trying hard to like it.

The red MPS at the melbourne car show is either the Jap or the European model. Notice the wipers are facing the other way compared to the wipers on the blue mazda 3. And also, the red MPS has the nice flat blade wipers that the aussie version will not get.

They probably tinted the windows because the steering wheel is also on the wrong side.

rjastra
5th March 2009, 04:28 AM
Euro spec as the Japanese drive on the same side of the road as us ;)

Wraith
5th March 2009, 09:43 AM
hmmm...what`s the go with that huge grin on the front:yikes:????

I hope series 2 gets rid of it!! somehow..Im really trying hard to like it.

The red MPS at the melbourne car show is either the Jap or the European model. Notice the wipers are facing the other way compared to the wipers on the blue mazda 3. And also, the red MPS has the nice flat blade wipers that the aussie version will not get.

They probably tinted the windows because the steering wheel is also on the wrong side.

Yeh, it's a LHD vehicle and had keyless entry too - I'll put more pics of it up tonight, you can see the features from them :)

I'd say U.S market vehicle...

Apparently the U.S market outgoing model MPS 3 and 6 had a 206kw tune compared to everybody elses 190kw and reports suggest the same for the new one...why can't they all have the same tune ???

USC
5th March 2009, 11:54 AM
Euro spec as the Japanese drive on the same side of the road as us ;)
:o:p

damn yanks..they ALWAYS get the best!

rjastra
5th March 2009, 05:03 PM
Yeh, it's a LHD vehicle and had keyless entry too - I'll put more pics of it up tonight, you can see the features from them :)

I'd say U.S market vehicle...

Not US Market otherwise the front lights would have the orange sidemarkers that all US/Canadian cars have. I'd say its LHD Euro spec.

Wraith
5th March 2009, 09:59 PM
Not US Market otherwise the front lights would have the orange sidemarkers that all US/Canadian cars have. I'd say its LHD Euro spec.

That's exactly what I thought too rj, as all U.S spec vehicles get amber lensed indicators, but was puzzled because I know the U.S definitely get the keyless entry technology pack and also to see the amber front inserts in the headlights of the RHD SP 25 on display there, the one I posted on this thread...so thought maybe it's just an incomplete demo, as I previously mentioned, also as mentioned there was no help on all this stuff, the Mazda staff there were unable to answer a single question I asked them, one was, which market does this car belong to ?? when will they be released ?? pricing ?? specs ?? eerrr don't know LOL was the answer to all those and other questions :lol:

dieselhead
5th March 2009, 11:19 PM
sorry guys, this MPS looks like a pimped hyundai excel to me... why would you buy that thing when its cousins, the XR5 and the RS, look so much better and have better suspension? i say buy a second hand current MPS if you're really keen on Mazda hatch muscle.

Dee
5th March 2009, 11:22 PM

:yikes::yikes: OH DEAR GOD!!!!! :yikes::yikes:

That truly is hideous.

Hoya
5th March 2009, 11:37 PM

im sure in the next mazda 3 they will find a way to move the mouth so it looks like it is talking.

if i had ^ that thing id rather get the bus

Apex
6th March 2009, 07:07 AM
Hahha, na, they will make the mouth so big the car will actually look like its coming out of itself being regurgitated..

Quirky Japanese people have taken it to the next level, kudos to them for not holding back, wish Toyota would grow some balls.

Wraith
6th March 2009, 09:12 AM
sorry guys, this MPS looks like a pimped hyundai excel to me... why would you buy that thing when its cousins, the XR5 and the RS, look so much better and have better suspension? i say buy a second hand current MPS if you're really keen on Mazda hatch muscle.

The new XR5T would be a very nice choice...looks good, excellent package, excellent pricing, but like all the other choices there's always something not quite right, after checking it out at the show, for me the interior is woeful (except for the front seats) and it's fuel burn is a worry, like the MPS 3 :( RS if it ever comes here will be in a price point that'll make most look at something else - lots of choices once you start getting around 60k...

I'd say pick of the bunch will probably be the TDi hatch and sedan in the new 3 range, ie: if Mazda get it into Aust. something I was told they're still uncertain about...

lithium
6th March 2009, 10:24 AM
i might be in the minority but i like the styling! remember when flame-styled BMWs looked like they had a big butt and last gen Celicas looked like a Jap robot gone wrong...now both look fine. gaping mouth is the way of the future like this guy --> :yikes:

only thing is its lost its sleeper look...which was part of the appeal of the last model i thought

Wraith
6th March 2009, 12:23 PM
i might be in the minority but i like the styling! remember when flame-styled BMWs looked like they had a big butt and last gen Celicas looked like a Jap robot gone wrong...now both look fine. gaping mouth is the way of the future like this guy --> :yikes:

only thing is its lost its sleeper look...which was part of the appeal of the last model i thought

Agree, I think once they've been around a while they'll start to look ok and grow on people...

It's not half as bad as the reaction to the old bug eyed WRX or recent new WRX and they did or are doing just fine, as well as many others out there like the Megane for eg. I for one really like the o/a look of this new 3, especially the basic SP25 hatch after having checked it out at the show and the interior is also a treat :)

I wouldn't say no to one of these new MPS 3's either, that slightly funny/awkward looking front end is more than made up for by the performance and overall package for the money this car offers IMHO :)

dieselhead
6th March 2009, 02:30 PM
RS if it ever comes here will be in a price point that'll make most look at something else - lots of choices once you start getting around 60k...

I'd bet that if the RS comes over, it will be in low $50k rather than $60ks. It would be absurd to have a hot hatch from Ford to compete in the same price range as the S3! :) that's exactly the reason why the STi and the Evo might fall on their faces... This is not the best time to ask absurd prices for mildly spiced up volume sellers.

Wraith
6th March 2009, 04:31 PM
I'd bet that if the RS comes over, it will be in low $50k rather than $60ks. It would be absurd to have a hot hatch from Ford to compete in the same price range as the S3! :) that's exactly the reason why the STi and the Evo might fall on their faces... This is not the best time to ask absurd prices for mildly spiced up volume sellers.

U.K pricing for the new Focus RS is 25k pound sterling...

That would put it at - at least 60-65k for Aust. pricing if you compare other vehicles prices in the U.K to what what they land at here...

Either way it'll be interesting, as they (the manufacturers) don't price their vehicles with the logic you ot Iwould use diesel (I agree with what you said above) what they tend to do is price them in accordance with or at the same price point as a would be rival or class competitor...with the RS I believe Ford Aust. will chase the new Evo and Sti market.

It's the same reason why for eg. Audi Aust. are going to price the new TTRS at around the better part of 150k, it's definitely not teice the car the TTS is, but they expect Porsche Cayman and that sort of vehicle class of buyers to look at it, hence their justification for the price tag...:rolleyes:

EL BURITO
6th March 2009, 05:42 PM
It looks happy