PDA

View Full Version : Rattles under Warranty ???

jaffa-cree
30th January 2009, 05:01 PM
I drive a 2 year old SRiT, and over the last several months a rattle has developed in the area of the instrument cluster.

Under acceleration, the rattle is obvious and very annoying. When I place pressure on the perspex covering the instrument cluster, the rattle disappears. So I assumed I can easily perform a DIY fix, however I figured the car is still under warranty so lets get it looked at.

Well, the local Holden dealership confirmed the rattle is coming from where I had indicated, but insisted they cannot replace part under warranty. Hi cited that new car warranties to not cover rattles etc

Is this true?
Should I try another dealership or ring up Holden direct?
Do I have any alternate action?

imay
30th January 2009, 05:10 PM
Talk to your dealer (if that's the way you want to go) and see what sort of reaction you get, you could strike them on a co-operative day . . . but keep in mind there is every chance they could make it worse rather than better. If they DO actually repair it they are more than likely going to plug your dashboard up with silicone (or similar) as an insulating material to stop components rubbing against each other.
If you are game, probably better off pulling off bits'n'pieces yourself and look for obvious causes: loose screws, insulating foam dropped away, shoddy construction, etc., and try to repair it yourself. You'll be surprised at how much you can learn about your car along the way.
Then, of course, if you run into trouble pulling something apart OR putting it back together, there is probably someone on here that has already done the same thing and can give you a few points to get the job done.

Good luck - locating and stopping rattles can be a real head f#%k . . . and keep us informed of your progress.

tomburke7
30th January 2009, 05:47 PM
I drive a 2 year old SRiT, and over the last several months a rattle has developed in the area of the instrument cluster.

Under acceleration, the rattle is obvious and very annoying. When I place pressure on the perspex covering the instrument cluster, the rattle disappears. So I assumed I can easily perform a DIY fix, however I figured the car is still under warranty so lets get it looked at.

Well, the local Holden dealership confirmed the rattle is coming from where I had indicated, but insisted they cannot replace part under warranty. Hi cited that new car warranties to not cover rattles etc

Is this true?
Should I try another dealership or ring up Holden direct?
Do I have any alternate action?

Mine has none the same since new. I asked my holden dealer to fix it at a service, but they said that they could not duplicate the rattle and went on to charge me $60 for the additional road tests they undertook to try to locate the rattle.

Now I just give the dash a squeeze and the rattle goes away.

daiflu
30th January 2009, 06:36 PM
A friend of mine had the same problem with a BMW they'd just bought.
The dealer first gave the 'we can't hear it" story, then when it was finally pointed out to them, refused to fix it under warranty.
Anyway, long story but there was several visits to the dealership, numerous not so nice phone calls and letters, working their way up the BMW chain of command, even threats of returning the car and legal action.
6 months, and countless headaches later, they now have a rattle free car!
(which I think they ended up replacing the entire dash)

tomburke7
30th January 2009, 06:47 PM
The dealer first gave the 'we can't hear it" story, then when it was finally pointed out to them, refused to fix it under warranty.
Anyway, long story but there was several visits to the dealership, numerous not so nice phone calls and letters, working their way up the BMW chain of command, even threats of returning the car and legal action.

Given all the effort its most probably easier to turn the CD player up...

57U-00
30th January 2009, 07:12 PM
or drive faster until the engine hum is at a frequency that doesn't disturb the rattle... lmao... at least thats what u can tell the officer that pulls u over...

rjastra
31st January 2009, 12:43 AM
usually whats covered by warranty is in your service or owners manual.

Rattles are a tricky one. They would most likely help for a rattle report from new... unlikely for one thats started 2 yrs after purchase.

DirtyHarry
31st January 2009, 12:49 AM
i found that the area right at the front of the dash, where the air vents are could be causing it. i put like a foam/padding underneath it.
ohh yeah and the other area which funny enough i though was coming from the instrument cluster, was actually being caused by the side plastic part of the heating vents (or whatever that stuff is) right near your left foot rest. youll like see its two plastic bits touching each other. and if you seperate them or put padding between it, it would stop the rattling.

jaffa-cree
31st January 2009, 09:09 AM

Not sure can i put all with all that hassling
I may try another dealer around where i live and try my luck
Just trying to gather whether rattles are one of those exceptions clauses in the warranty exclusion list

jaffa-cree
31st January 2009, 09:16 AM
Rattles are a tricky one. They would most likely help for a rattle report from new... unlikely for one thats started 2 yrs after purchase.

Yea, the dealer confirmed the rattle at where i told them, however advised me it is not under warranty :mad:

ohh yeah and the other area which funny enough i though was coming from the instrument cluster, was actually being caused by the side plastic part of the heating vents (or whatever that stuff is) right near your left foot rest. youll like see its two plastic bits touching each other. and if you seperate them or put padding between it, it would stop the rattling.

I will look at that, however I believe it is the perspex on the instrument cluster, as whilst rattling I put pressure with my finger on it then it goes away. Once I release pressure it is back!

Damn annoying, because under acceleration in any gear from 1500rpm - 2500rpm the rattle is so evident.

I was thinking of a DIY fix before trying another dealership and want some of your thoughts.

I was thinking of wedging some paper/rubber/bluetack in between the cluster and perspex so there is no slack to cause any vibrations. I am hoping this does not sound stupid and wont cause any further damage like worsen the rattle.

xplosv57
31st January 2009, 11:36 AM
Not sure why Holden would exclude rattles out of warranty if it has something to do with the build quality of the car, it has to be repaired (if it's a manufacturing fault)!!

I know for sure though that BMW covers rattles under warranty, must have been a difficult case the one daiflu mentioned.

Best tip with rattles, if you are taking it to a dealer, get someone from the dealer in the car and show them what you are talking about and also tell them every bit of info you can, it helps.

I'd also take it to a dealer before trying D.I.Y stuff cos the dealer can say you've tampered with it which may void the warranty.

jaffa-cree
31st January 2009, 01:20 PM
Not sure why Holden would exclude rattles out of warranty if it has something to do with the build quality of the car, it has to be repaired (if it's a manufacturing fault)!!

That is what one dealership has told me already. I will try another dealership.

Best tip with rattles, if you are taking it to a dealer, get someone from the dealer in the car and show them what you are talking about and also tell them every bit of info you can, it helps.

The dealer is aware of the rattle as they confirmed it with me and from where it was generated. They just wont fix it under warranty.

USC
31st January 2009, 11:45 PM
my AH sri-t had the same rattles. I reckon it came from behind that silver strip on the dash...try remove it and put additional foam behind.

DirtyHarry
1st February 2009, 09:39 AM
i think youll find in the manufacturers book that you get with the car, that rattles are covered only for the 1st 5000km or so.

rjastra
1st February 2009, 01:01 PM
The other issue with rattles is that they may not be eminating from the place you think.. Geta passenger to confirm...

jaffa-cree
2nd February 2009, 08:57 PM
The other issue with rattles is that they may not be eminating from the place you think.. Geta passenger to confirm...

Sorry to point this out, but if any one reads my posts you would have seen I have confirmed this with the dealership where the rattle is coming from.

They acknowledge but wont fix it under warranty.

rjastra
3rd February 2009, 10:55 AM
Sorry to point this out, but if any one reads my posts you would have seen I have confirmed this with the dealership where the rattle is coming from.

They acknowledge but wont fix it under warranty.

I meant in "general". People should always get a passenger to confirm where a rattle comes from. I am not sure why you thought I meant YOU in particular as you have already said your dealer wont fix it :)