PDA

View Full Version : Monaro rims fit astra G?

vauxhall
30th January 2009, 12:31 AM
HI all,

This is my first post but not my first Astra, my first car back in 96 was a mk2 astra L which i loved (by the way im from the UK). I recently bought an Astra TS CD, 5 door, arctic blue and have to say its a good car that drives well, well built and never skips a beat and have had no problems with it except the air con has stopped working, it blows warm air so i am thinking there must be a leak if the gas has leaked out right? wrong?
Anywayz, getting to the purpose of this thread, i have been offered for free an immaculate set of Monaro rims from a mate and wonder if they will fit on the astra? its off a 2005 monaro (standard 18" rims). I have been looking trying to find the stud pattern,ET/PCD and centre bore but cannot find it anywhere. please feel free to shower me with your knowledge and suggestions.
Cheers guys

Vauxhall

chrissn89
30th January 2009, 12:36 AM
Hello and welcome, sorry but the monaro wheels will not fit your TS astra. The PCD is different. I wouldnt have a clue what the numbers are for the monaro wheel but i know there different than the astra's.

guy 27
30th January 2009, 12:46 AM
5*114 i think while the astra is 5*110

ASTRAY
30th January 2009, 01:53 AM
maybe you could get them redrilled.?

oneightoo
30th January 2009, 07:57 AM
sell them on ebay

Wraith
30th January 2009, 08:29 AM
As already mentioned - NO, they will NOT fit ! :mad2:

They are the wrong PCD - 5x120, Astra 5 stud patterns are all 5x110 !

They are the wrong offset - AFAIK around ET 35 or lower, TS Astras require min. ET42 !

And also because they would be at least 8" wide, this further compounds the offset problem...

And final nail in the coffin, you can't re-drill 5x120 down to 5x110 !

Usually max. PCD of 5x114.3 rims are used to re-drill to PCD 5x110 for Opel applications...

Jerram
30th January 2009, 12:57 PM
still having the wheels is good enough because you can sell them

you could always get new wells and hubs though...

Wraith
30th January 2009, 02:48 PM
still having the wheels is good enough because you can sell them

you could always get new wells and hubs though...

True with the 1st line :thumbs:

If you get new wheels, you would get them with the correct PCD and offset, so why would need new hubs ??? no need for them at all, that would be a much more expensive and unecessary way of going about it ! :nonod:

Lots of styles out there, off the shelf in 18" that will suit the offset required and be the correct width for a TS Astra...alot will be in 5x114.3 PCD which as said are prime candidates for re-drilling :)

Jerram
30th January 2009, 03:06 PM
True with the 1st line :thumbs:

If you get new wheels, you would get them with the correct PCD and offset, so why would need new hubs ??? no need for them at all, that would be a much more expensive and unecessary way of going about it ! :nonod:

Yeh that's what I meant.

By "Wells" I was actually referring to a Wheel Well, as opposed to spelling wheels improperly. (I got a bit mixed up there because a wheel well is a term more applicable to aircraft then to cars); I'm talking about him getting a bigger guard thingy (hole in the body that the wheels are in). Someone mentioned earlier that the width of the monaro wheels were too great. That coupled with the incorrect offset led to my suggestion to get new hubs and more suitable guards to allow him to use the monaro ones - which he obviously likes.

Wraith
30th January 2009, 03:35 PM
Yeh that's what I meant.

By "Wells" I was actually referring to a Wheel Well, as opposed to spelling wheels improperly. (I got a bit mixed up there because a wheel well is a term more applicable to aircraft then to cars); I'm talking about him getting a bigger guard thingy (hole in the body that the wheels are in). Someone mentioned earlier that the width of the monaro wheels were too great. That coupled with the incorrect offset led to my suggestion to get new hubs and more suitable guards to allow him to use the monaro ones - which he obviously likes.

Now you've really confused me :skep: LOL

Again I would question why one would want to go about it that way ??? :rollyeys1:

Cheapest/easiest method would be to get the guards pumped or lipped, which would be a limited amount, before they begin looking odd !

Changing the guards or having them professionally enlarged can get very expensive and you need to re-spray the operated area - very labourious/expensive way to go about getting a set of inappropriate 18" wheels to fit your car !!!

Don't forget about re-sale here also, you cut your chances of selling a car modded in that way...

As always though each to his own, if one wants to do that, their choice I suppose :shocked:

Jerram
30th January 2009, 05:06 PM
Now you've really confused me :skep: LOL

Again I would question why one would want to go about it that way ??? :rollyeys1:

Cheapest/easiest method would be to get the guards pumped or lipped, which would be a limited amount, before they begin looking odd !

Changing the guards or having them professionally enlarged can get very expensive and you need to re-spray the operated area - very labourious/expensive way to go about getting a set of inappropriate 18" wheels to fit your car !!!

Don't forget about re-sale here also, you cut your chances of selling a car modded in that way...

As always though each to his own, if one wants to do that, their choice I suppose :shocked:

lol I was being faceatious - showing him the hard way to do it if he really wanted to put those wheels on his car.

Wraith
1st February 2009, 11:07 AM
^^^^ That's fair enough, always a good thing to hear peoples views from all angles - it's a good thing and very good food for thought :)

Hopefully all our suggestions and info have helped vauxhall :)

vauxhall
2nd February 2009, 10:47 AM
Thanx all for all your advice. If they dont fit im not going to try make them fit. Its a damn shame to get offered an immaculate set of 18" rims for "FREE" only to find out that they will not fit on your car. Sods law i guess.

wheres the best value for money to get rims from?

Wraith
2nd February 2009, 11:02 AM
Thanx all for all your advice. If they dont fit im not going to try make them fit. Its a damn shame to get offered an immaculate set of 18" rims for "FREE" only to find out that they will not fit on your car. Sods law i guess.

wheres the best value for money to get rims from?

That's a difficult question to answer precisely vauxhall, basically you have to shop around, most large wheel outlets will do you a great deal these days on a complete set of 18" wheels, ie: rims, tyres, re-drilling and fitting...pricing will be 'around' $1200-$1900 'on average' depending on the wheel and tyre brands you select.

You could also try ebay and the classifieds, sometimes you'll get lucky, but it's difficult to find a set of wheels that'll fit a TS Astra properly, so my advice would be stick to the larger wheel outlets and get em new and properly fitting...TTF stores here in Melb. are very good with pricing and so to are Tempe in Sydney - I've purchased a set of 20" wheels from Tempe in 2006 and including the shipping, they were cheaper than the cheapest I could source them from here in Melb.

As for rims themselves, have a look at the 'Advanti' catalogues, you'll find several nice styles there in 18" that'll have the right offset and with for your Astra and come in PCD of 114.3 which can be re-drilled to suit, as already mentioned - good luck with it all :)

xplosv57
2nd February 2009, 11:23 AM
And feel free to donate your Monaro wheels to me, since you can't use them and all......