PDA

View Full Version : EOI - Great Alpine Road Cruise - VIC/NSW & ACT members

PaulyJ
25th January 2009, 03:13 PM
Attention VIC/NSW members (and of course anyone else who wants to come along).

Who here would be interested in a 3-day event sometime late March?

Read the article below, and my ideas below that...

http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c171/paulyj/GreatAlpineRoad-Pg1.jpg
http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c171/paulyj/GreatAlpineRoad-Pg2.jpg

My idea is this:

Friday, we drive up and meet somewhere in Bright.
Have dinner, few drinks, stay the night.
Saturday, we do this route, taking in as much as we can.
Head back to Bright, dinner, stay the night.
Sunday, we can do a bit of sightseeing around Bright, or just head off home.

Obviously this would take some planning, however before I start making phone calls, who here would be interested in such an event?

I have no idea on costs as yet, but can find out if you really want me to.

MatsHolden
25th January 2009, 03:24 PM
Sounds good.

Vectracious
25th January 2009, 03:45 PM
Sounds great - might be very interested in this - the last hurrah before the baby comes :)

sooty
25th January 2009, 04:40 PM
Sounds interesting, with enough forenotice i should be right for this one :)

PaulyJ
25th January 2009, 05:07 PM
Any ACT/NSW members interested?

ROCCO
25th January 2009, 08:38 PM
I"m interested as well....hope have the new rims and tyres by then

daaaaavek
25th January 2009, 10:09 PM
IF you can make it the weekend of the 21st/22nd then I am up for it!

moose_factor
25th January 2009, 10:21 PM
Hey I might be in Melb round late March...I might keep my eye on this one...

imay
25th January 2009, 10:40 PM
Good one Pauly . . . we've done this very route a few years back in the 5 door Astra (haven't had the chance for a repeat in the convertible yet).
Early March could have been tempted to make the journey from Adelaide, but have to head back to work on March 23 . . . otherwise you might have been able to include us. Mind you . . . haven't discussed it at all with the navigator yet!

Be warned: the "broken line" section of road to Omeo was unbitumenised, steep, tight in sections and rough, VERY, VERY ROUGH when we went through in '05 . . . but the scenery is well worth it!
Anyone ever contemplated this trip and has the time off . . . just GO!

imay
25th January 2009, 11:09 PM
Sorry, correction to the above . . . I have just been advised by the navigator that WE HAVEN'T been on the road shown in the little map! The rough road I was referring to is a section through the mountains en route to Omeo making our way from Albury/Wodonga. From there to Bright it was plain sailing, other than the many many stops along the way for photos.
We went through after the devastating bush fires of 04-05 had ravaged the ranges . . . unbelievable destruction for as far as the eye could see! Would be great to see Nature's recovery in the past few years.

Corsa_Rob
25th January 2009, 11:33 PM
Sounds like an awesome idea Pauly, very very keen. I know the area quite well since its been the family's holiday destination for a number of years. Don't care when it is, i'm coming :D

Wraith
27th January 2009, 08:40 AM
These kind of trips always sound great to me and I'm always interested, problem for me is getting away from other commitments, this one requiring a whole weekend which will be tough for me to do, so I can't commit as I don't want to dissapoint...

I'll have to wait and see what the final date/time plan is and see if I can attend...

Shaun
27th January 2009, 09:42 AM
I maybe interested pending dates and where i am at the time. But sounds like a good run and idea.

nuggz
27th January 2009, 09:56 AM
Sounds awesome

i was actually planning to do it around that time anyway :yikes:

CNBLU
27th January 2009, 09:58 AM
im in but need plenty of notice to take time off work

maloo97
27th January 2009, 10:28 AM
Im interested.

aberrant
28th January 2009, 01:05 AM
I'd be interested too. Have done plenty of trips to both hotham and falls, but only during snow season, so would love to drive on them in the dry, some great roads/views, and don't mind the bright pub either.