PDA

View Full Version : New Kia, or is it a Honda?

poita
24th January 2009, 01:39 PM
well am i the only one who thinks it looks very much the same?

http://www.newlookkia.com.au/gallery/images/13.jpg

http://themotorreport.com.au/wp-content/uploads/2008/06/2008-honda-accord-euro-tmr-9.jpg

MK
24th January 2009, 02:24 PM
looks good, lets hope the price will be good too and there is a station wagon available so i might consider it as my next work car :)

tomtom
24th January 2009, 02:27 PM
Oh man I did not notice the similarities till you put the pictures together.

Those headlights - criminal.

poita
24th January 2009, 02:29 PM
no wagon on the site mate

Shaun
24th January 2009, 04:36 PM
i like the look of this car. From the rear it looks like the New WRX. Kia has stepped up a notch it seems with there cars. I think they will sell well.

Wraith
25th January 2009, 12:45 PM
Gee wiz, that does look alot like the Honda accord, common trend these days with car designs resembling each other...

Agree with Shaun above, brands like Kia and even Hyundai have come along way !

rjastra
26th January 2009, 11:10 AM
Kia showed the new Cerato at the Sydney Motorshow last Oct (2008). Not long after the new Accord. Can't see how they could have copied the accord ;)

Agree with Shaun above, brands like Kia and even Hyundai have come along way !

Seems to me the Japanese are the ones turning out the styling challenged cars at the moment :)

hazrd
26th January 2009, 03:50 PM
holden commodore... toyota lexcen
holden apollo... toyota camry
kia cerato... honda accord

:p
some are slowly coming out... might get shot for this.. but the hyundai tiburon isnt too bad, bit overpriced tho...

GreyRex
26th January 2009, 08:53 PM
I saw this at the tennis today... went up and had a look

Im going to say it has a better rear end than the Euro; it doesn't look as bottom heavy/bulky

Obviously interior/drivetrain (or basically everything) will be higher quality in the Euro, but i almost think the Kia looks better

Wraith
27th January 2009, 08:28 AM
:p
some are slowly coming out... might get shot for this.. but the hyundai tiburon isnt too bad, bit overpriced tho...

Not at all IMO...

I too have always liked the Tiburon - guy at work has one and I've checked it out up close, not a bad car at all ! :)

However for a Hyundai the price tag isn't cheap...

gslrallysport
27th January 2009, 11:29 AM
I'm taking an 18 month break from rallying to save up and invest the required dollars into being able to run an MY05-06 STi (don't even ask at the figure... :yikes:), so in the meantime I have no need for a service/recce/work ute that's now out of factory warranty, chews fuel, and isn't particularly fun to drive... uno what I'm about to replace it with?!

... 2005 Model Tiburon! ;)

- 2 years of factory warranty left
- 2.7 V6 6spd manual
- Looks decent
- Uses less fuel that my ute

I rate the Tiburon, no need to shot you! Though I prefer the one in America that has Evo front running rear and a WRX rear subframe and diff! :D

http://www.wilddamntexan.com/kids/tiburon_rally.jpg

hazrd
27th January 2009, 12:48 PM
haha rally tiburon i like it :p

Wraith
27th January 2009, 12:58 PM
I'm taking an 18 month break from rallying to save up and invest the required dollars into being able to run an MY05-06 STi (don't even ask at the figure... :yikes:), so in the meantime I have no need for a service/recce/work ute that's now out of factory warranty, chews fuel, and isn't particularly fun to drive... uno what I'm about to replace it with?!

... 2005 Model Tiburon! ;)

- 2 years of factory warranty left
- 2.7 V6 6spd manual
- Looks decent
- Uses less fuel that my ute

I rate the Tiburon, no need to shot you! Though I prefer the one in America that has Evo front running rear and a WRX rear subframe and diff! :D

http://www.wilddamntexan.com/kids/tiburon_rally.jpg

Well done, good choice/combination of weekend/daily driver there :)

With the Tiburon, if it has similar economy to the 2.5ltr V6 found in Calis or SAABS you'll be pretty happy with it - I average a combined 10ltrs/100km and that's with quite a bit of City/traffic stop start/spirited driving thrown in, with Hwy driving I can get as low as only 6ltrs/100km range out of :)

gslrallysport
27th January 2009, 01:07 PM
Just got back form going down to see a mate of mine on a rally issue, but he's also the service manager at Keema Hyundai on the southside... I asked him what he reckoned, and just said they've got no problems, never break, and the 6spd manual gearbox (which I was curious about) is actually from the Toyota Celica!!! Hello off the shelf LSD!!! :D

Going to see the bank manager this arvo to see if we can make it happen...

Wraith
27th January 2009, 03:41 PM
Just got back form going down to see a mate of mine on a rally issue, but he's also the service manager at Keema Hyundai on the southside... I asked him what he reckoned, and just said they've got no problems, never break, and the 6spd manual gearbox (which I was curious about) is actually from the Toyota Celica!!! Hello off the shelf LSD!!! :D

Going to see the bank manager this arvo to see if we can make it happen...

Sounds good - all the best, hope you end up getting it :)

As for reliability, the guy at my work has had his since 2005 travelled alot and no problems what so ever with it, he's wrapped with its reliability !

He's thinking of changing over to an i30 soon...

gslrallysport
27th January 2009, 03:51 PM
That was my other choice... the i30 diesel. But with no rally car at the moment I think my heart is going to win over my head, so Tiburon it is... Just found this too!
http://www.quaife.co.uk/Hyundai-Coupe-Tiburon-6-speed-ATB-differential
:D

Wraith
28th January 2009, 08:20 AM
Nice ^^^^

BTW saw the new Kia Cerato TV add last night, pretty good and funny IMO :swg:

rjastra
28th January 2009, 09:51 AM
That was my other choice... the i30 diesel. But with no rally car at the moment I think my heart is going to win over my head, so Tiburon it is... Just found this too!
http://www.quaife.co.uk/Hyundai-Coupe-Tiburon-6-speed-ATB-differential
:D

Have a sticky-beak around on the Evo site (evo.co.uk). I remember one of the long-termers was a Tiburon (Hyundai Coupe V6). They fitted a LSD on that I think and it gave the biggest benefit of all the changes.

http://www.evo.co.uk/images/front_picture_library_UK/dir_422/car_photo_211326_25.jpg

JohnBu
28th January 2009, 12:16 PM
I have read the Tiburon V6 drinks like a V8- more than one magazine has reported fuel consumption as being more than 14L/100km.

normally on mag test this wouldn't be out of the ordinary, however it was significantly higher than all the other cars on the test.

As for the Kionda, looks impressive for a cheap Korean Car.

gslrallysport
28th January 2009, 12:22 PM
Yeah, I've read that too, but alot of it is how it'd driven (duh... thanks captain obvious), but the reason it does it more than most is the 6spd is stupidly short geared, 2800rpm in 6th gear at 100km/hr... So you tend to rev it out and drive it like a paddle shift f1.

But coming from my ute which is 16-17 around town, and 12 BEST on the highway (AWD and the brick-like aero of a tray back ute is a bitch), I'll have no complaints...

Wraith
28th January 2009, 12:41 PM
Yeah, I've read that too, but alot of it is how it'd driven (duh... thanks captain obvious), but the reason it does it more than most is the 6spd is stupidly short geared, 2800rpm in 6th gear at 100km/hr... So you tend to rev it out and drive it like a paddle shift f1.

But coming from my ute which is 16-17 around town, and 12 BEST on the highway (AWD and the brick-like aero of a tray back ute is a bitch), I'll have no complaints...

Damn, pity about the fuel burn, but as you say at least it'll be better than your current ride :)