PDA

View Full Version : Blue Headlight Globes?

Mark
15th August 2004, 10:54 PM
I was wondering if anyone has used / using the Phillips Diamond Vision Headlight Globes?
Or Any other good globes that show a blueish light?
Went for a run in a friends car the other night and was amazed at how his blue lights show the road up. He has some imported ones from the markets.
So whats everyone using?

thirteen
16th August 2004, 12:26 AM
im actually gonna get a set of the crystal/ diamond vision ones.. i heard they are awesome.

ive currently got osram cool blue bulbs.. i can see a lot better but the light is still yellow. :(

mr_sikma
16th August 2004, 08:59 AM
be careful aswell as some are illegal :o

Pharkus
16th August 2004, 11:00 AM
This post has been removed

Dee
16th August 2004, 11:29 AM
:roll: dont get blue, they are the worst lights to drive with.. the rain reflects off them and the car in front of you gets the worst lights in the rear view mirror

rjastra
16th August 2004, 12:22 PM
Blue tinged bulbs are not legal and they produced both a less light and a poorly defined beam than the Philips Vision Plus (+50%)

Also, those HIDs being pedalled are ILLEGAL!! Police can quiet easily defect your vehicle if fitted. Try explaining them to you insurance company as well.

8000k will produce far less light that the <5000K units fitted to production models. Remember the bluer the light the LESS light output being produced.

www.narva.com.au for HID kits. Quite clearly states they are not legal for road use.

Pharkus
16th August 2004, 12:28 PM
So they are definitely illegal then???? :?

The guy I went to told me that he had contacted Vic Roads and they had said nothing about their illegality and that they were alright, and also three insurance companies had also ok's the HID's.

Is the Narva site just wanting to cover themselves?

And do we have to notify insurance?

Pharkus
16th August 2004, 12:36 PM
Just called up RACV and they told me the only thing they had was that the centre of the light cannot be more than 1.2 metres from the ground and that they required a switch to switch them on from inside the car.

So they just said to notify them. Any other feedback and any quotes from the relevant ADR's????

Jacky
16th August 2004, 12:46 PM
Yep.. HIDS are all illegal. (Altough i am selling it as well...)
the problem is with the reflector housing.
and beware of some crappy kits from china or taiwan, the ballast would fail after 3 months. and sometimes it would produce different colour with the two bulbs..
:oops:

Pharkus
16th August 2004, 12:49 PM
Just got off the phone with a guy in Vic Roads and yep, definitely legal, if:

You must have self levelling headlights, which Astra's don't,
Headlight washer kit, only available overseas.
For compliance, either Holden or a Vicroads approved engineer's certificate to comply it.

Also PLEASE NOTE that you have to make sure that you double check with your insurance company to see if they will insure your entire car if you install the HID kit.

Have removed my diamond visions, which were only in for like a few months and replaced them with the stock lights.

Mark
16th August 2004, 04:48 PM
Hmm, food for thought huh, I dont think i'll bother with HID, could spend that money elsewhere.
So ill see what happens, might just get a set of Philips Diamond Vision for a while if they are no good its only a matter of changing them back. 5min job.

dont get blue, they are the worst lights to drive with.. the rain reflects off them and the car in front of you gets the worst lights in the rear view mirror

Rain?? whats that.... :lol:

Thanks for that i'll take notice next time it rains.

imad4u
16th August 2004, 06:08 PM
i have a set of 6500 k HID in my astra... they work great and are worth the risk of getting a fine.. mind you *touch wood* i havent had any problems so far and its been around 4 months now...
http://www.mys15t.com/xenon/index.html

thirteen
16th August 2004, 07:32 PM
the diamond vision ones are really blue.. but the crystal vision ones are more white and dont say the light output is less.

ultim8DTM5
16th August 2004, 07:40 PM
Any modifications to the headlights have to be signed off by an engineer. Simple.

Just get coloured bulbs and place them in the parkers :)

DoomTrooper
16th August 2004, 08:01 PM
i changed my H7 globes for a set that are blueish in colour, when i have them and my fog lights on the difference in colour is quite noticeable, there not overly dark or overly bright bout the only diff is there slightly darker but the upside is that things on the road stand out very easily when the light hits them, ie the lines look super white

Mark
16th August 2004, 10:21 PM
Yeah thats what I noticed the lines stood out more, So Ill order a set and see what how they look in my Veccy. :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

feng
16th August 2004, 10:45 PM
I have MisterJung's kit installed on my CDXi. This meant to be the very good kit out there besides the original Philips Kit. I got the 7000k version and it is considerably brighter than stock, and its got the nice light pattern altho that might have something to do with the light housing itself.

Love the moment that the light just turn on, blink, then start with low blue light slowly glows into bright white in around 10 second.

Another note to all new vectra owners who thinking about HIDs, I needed to update my computer after the installation, because HID draws 35w where the normal bulb draws 55w, the computer expects 55w send to the headlight and it thought that I have a faulty headlight. Basically I had to send my car to the dealer, get them to connect up with Tech2 and there is a option there to set the HeadLight HID to Preset. A nice dealer will do that for you for free.

Vectracious
16th August 2004, 10:53 PM
I currently run Philips Crystal Vision in my Vectra.

The light is whiter - with a blue tinge thats mainly only noticeable when reflecting off road signs or white cars. But the light does not project as far down the road as the stock lights do.

The lights themselves have a blue white look to them and are much brighter than the normal lights.

For city driving in well lit areas, they are fine, but if you are out in the sticks with dark roads - Philips Vision Plus (although they are yellow) are the way to go.

Greg K
16th August 2004, 11:06 PM
definitely agree!
the philips vision plus are much better for city driving!
its either that or import xenon lights from overseas!
Greg K

dug74
16th August 2004, 11:30 PM
well i had the xenon filled halogens 100w H7's in my veccy and they were much better than the stock...becoz in the JR JS series the lights point to the road....and now that i have my corsa...they are now in that, having the huge headlights makes a big difference and i live in the sticks with no streetlights..I can see all the way down the road..much further than the stock yellow ones....the only thing i notice is like said above...a light blue tinge on reflective street signs and white cars..

Pharkus
17th August 2004, 10:53 AM
Anyone here want a HID kit for their car, (H7) 8000k to fit Astra.

What you need to know is that they are brand new, never been installed before. I haven't even received shipment of them yet but they should arrive in about 10 days time.

I can't use them as RACV won't insure me for them. So the story is I paid $630 for them and am willing to let them go for $600 as the guy who I bought it off will not give me a refund.

It is your responsibility to check to see if they are roadworthy for your car, and if your insurance is ok with their installation.

email me on [email protected] if you are interested.

Cybulba
17th August 2004, 02:42 PM
I am using MIRAMAX globes for my head lights.. all 55w and 100w for the front spotties.. As i put 100w in my headlights and they blew. So i replaced with 55's and are running fine.

pics in my personal gallery..

OOO by the way for astra SRi T owners have fun finding globes for the spoties. as i couldnt find anyone who supplies them in Aus had to inports from the US. $80 later the model of the globes are BOSCH H11

Anonymous
17th August 2004, 05:28 PM
ive got blue lights, one has blown so i put one standard globe back in theres a big diff between the 2 but i think its mostly the the wattage that makes the diff 55 vs 100w

OzzySRi
17th August 2004, 05:37 PM
arent blue lights illegal coz the colour is reserved for emergency vehicles... in NSW anyways?

rjastra
17th August 2004, 07:42 PM
Blue lights are illegal because ADRs define what colour light headlights must produce. And obviously these bulbs do not meet these criteria.

thirteen
17th August 2004, 08:24 PM
this is true.

but if u stick with the super white ones, ur pretty safe.

Tom76
18th August 2004, 03:59 AM
What about the Philips power2night Lights (http://www.eur.lighting.philips.com/int_en/cons/segments/car/products/power2night/power2night.html)? They are perfectly legal here and rather blueish.

FLY-SRi
18th August 2004, 01:54 PM
i've got Crytsal visions in my SRI-T, they really bright compared to stock...havnt had any problems with them either