PDA

View Full Version : Buying Tyres - What to Look For?

BEK-46P
22nd January 2009, 08:21 PM
Currently not happy (looks-wise) with my Achilles tyres, got them as part of the package with my rims. Is it common to fit 225s to 8.5" rims? Ozzy Tyres claim they always do this but it looks weird - the lip sticks out too much plus the wheels have that tightly-wound Euro/Jap look, which doesn't suit the Astras at all! I have spoken to them and they think it looks fine. They also used the roll-diameter factor in their defense... but if the VXRs have 235s as standard, I'm assuming the roll-diameter will only be marginally affected. I then spoke to Australia's Best and they think sticking tyres that narrow to 8.5" rims is ridiculous! People I've shown are divided with their opinions but I personally think the rims need a thicker tyre.

Having said all that, Ozzy have offered to upgrade my tyres to Achilles in 235s for $600, after trading in what I got at the moment. After telling them I hadn't really heard of that brand, they claim they are decent tyres and aren't as popular as Goodyear, Dunlop, etc. because they don't advertise as much. And since I haven't really driven a car with high performance tyres, I don't know what I'm missing out on anyway.

eBay has some good deals on 235/35/19s, you can pick up some Toyos or Nankings for $150-200 per tyre.

So all bullshit aside, what are my options here? I'm happy to dish out on some better tyres but I'm a bit overwhelmed with everything out there. Which qualities to look out for, which brands to avoid, etc.?

poita
22nd January 2009, 08:28 PM
dont get nankangs, death trap in the wet.
in the dry they are fine though.
noisy on the road.

as for size, yer defin get 235, i have 215 on my 7.5" rims

guy 27
22nd January 2009, 09:23 PM
Stick away from cheap brands. Tyers are the only thing between you and the road so you want something good.

I had Kuhmos on for a year. They were noisy as hell, slippery in the wet but great in the dry.

Got Falkens on now. They are quiet and they grip really well.

Both have been 215/35/18 as I prefer a skinnier look on these rims but next set will be 225

immenotu
22nd January 2009, 09:25 PM
I dont think achilles are the best tyres around. I went in to the local tyre shop to buy a new spare tyre and asked for the cheapest they had in my size and achilles is what they put on the wheel.

I havent driven on it but seeing as it was the cheapest they had i wouldnt imagine they are too good.

R3N
22nd January 2009, 09:26 PM
personal opinion, stretched look tyres are hot as long as its not too overstretched...

235s on a 8.5 are fine

oh and by the way, different tyre brands have different stretched looks

Jase
22nd January 2009, 11:59 PM
I had Kuhmos on for a year. They were noisy as hell, slippery in the wet but great in the dry.

Which Kumho did you have?

the kumho spt ku31 i have now is pretty good for dry/wet. I had falken 452 before. The 452 was better but not by much. 452 wore out pretty quick :p lol.

BEK-46P
23rd January 2009, 12:20 AM
personal opinion, stretched look tyres are hot as long as its not too overstretched...

235s on a 8.5 are fine

oh and by the way, different tyre brands have different stretched looks

The stretched tyre look gives the illusion that your rims are smaller than what they actually are. There are times I think I got 18s or even 17s :eek:. I think they look cheap and nasty, but each to their own I guess :p

I'm after a tyre that has the "straight profile" look (where the profile meets the tread at a 90 degree angle). Does this depend on the brand or size of the tyre?

BEK-46P
23rd January 2009, 12:22 AM
I dont think achilles are the best tyres around. I went in to the local tyre shop to buy a new spare tyre and asked for the cheapest they had in my size and achilles is what they put on the wheel.

I havent driven on it but seeing as it was the cheapest they had i wouldnt imagine they are too good.

They're noisy (they got that "vvvvvvwwwwwwww" rubbery sound) but you don't hear it after a while. They barely grip around bends and turns and you probably don't want to be driving with them in winter.

So I concur - Achilles are shit :D

TheOperator
23rd January 2009, 09:36 AM
Wheel and tyre packages are the biggest trap around!

The shops such as Ozzy, Tempe etc all use the cheapest tyre they can put on a rim cause it has their biggest profit margin! Wheel and Tyre packages appear to be a bargain for a reason ;)

Whenever i've bought new Wheels i always have bought the rim first then went to get the best tyres i could for that car for wet/dry performance, braking, grip etc! Sure it costs more but i value my car and more importantly my life and those around me ;)

I've seen too many friends skimp on tyres and write their cars off as a direct effect of cheap tyres!!!

rjastra
23rd January 2009, 11:09 AM
If you need to save money buy the upper models from the Korean manufacturers.

RobCDX
23rd January 2009, 12:10 PM
hey guys, im about to get a new set of rubber for my car. what are ur opinions on toyo & kumho?
got a quote for a set of toyo's of $150 a corner, fitted & balanced

BEK-46P
23rd January 2009, 01:06 PM
hey guys, im about to get a new set of rubber for my car. what are ur opinions on toyo & kumho?
got a quote for a set of toyo's of $150 a corner, fitted & balanced

From what I've read, Toyos are pretty good for their price. Heard some negative things about the Kumhos though.

What size are you getting?

Neeko
23rd January 2009, 01:23 PM
From what I've read, Toyos are pretty good for their price. Heard some negative things about the Kumhos though.

i have kumho ecstas on mine and they are great, little noisy bit grip is excellent in wet and dry. and finish nice and flush with the rim :)

vectraguy01
23rd January 2009, 02:35 PM
go toyo, they are great, used to have them on the veccy! BTW had ozzy rims on the veccy and they were not made very well, too weak apparently going from reports from ppl I had to have them repaired from. Watch out for bumps!!

BEK-46P
23rd January 2009, 02:59 PM
SUCCESS!

Okay, so after a little shopping, I picked up a set of Japanese Sumitomo HTR Z III in 235/35/19. On first drive, they were already light years ahead of those shitty Achilles. The lip is now flush with the tyre, the wheel fills a little more of the arch and overall they look 100x better. They also grip better, although the wider rubber makes turning feel a bit more laborious.

Very happy :D

nuggz
23rd January 2009, 03:01 PM
i have kumho ecstas on mine and they are great, little noisy bit grip is excellent in wet and dry. and finish nice and flush with the rim :)

same as mine
noisy but they hold on decently

Neeko
23rd January 2009, 03:03 PM
same as mine
noisy but they hold on decently

but when they let go...they let go lol

rjastra
23rd January 2009, 03:18 PM
Dont forget to get a wheel alignment....

nuggz
23rd January 2009, 03:22 PM
but when they let go...they let go lol

i haven't reached that point, the seats in the veccy are dead flat, so im outta the seat before the car lets go

vectraguy01
23rd January 2009, 04:29 PM
i haven't reached that point, the seats in the veccy are dead flat, so im outta the seat before the car lets go

Leather seats always do that lol, the veccy seats aint huggy enough!!

Jase
23rd January 2009, 05:48 PM

Which kumho ecstas have you got? theres a few different kinds.

Mines kumho ecsta spt ku31. pretty good for the money :)

RobCDX
24th January 2009, 12:29 PM
im planning on going back to my 16's to save some cash for house renovations. so 205/50/16

Widseth
24th January 2009, 04:41 PM
dont get nankangs, death trap in the wet.
in the dry they are fine though.
noisy on the road.

as for size, yer defin get 235, i have 215 on my 7.5" rims

I’ve got Nankangs, not by choice, they came on the car. But I actually found them ok in the wet. (First time I got to drive them in the wet was just Thursday here in Brisbane). But they are like driving with concrete for tyres. They give such a hard ride.

After my experience with Nankangs I will never put Nankangs on a car. My choice is Michelin for cars and B.F. Goodrich (The Japanese Made ones) for 4WD’s.

immenotu
24th January 2009, 05:34 PM
My choice is Michelin for cars

+1

I love my michelins! Awesome grip and a smooth quiet ride. Ill definitely be getting another set of PP2's when my current set need replacing.

rjastra
26th January 2009, 11:13 AM
+1

I love my michelins! Awesome grip and a smooth quiet ride. Ill definitely be getting another set of PP2's when my current set need replacing.

Ahhh, man of taste :) PP2s and the Bridgestone Adrenalins are the tyres to get for FWD cars.