PDA

View Full Version : Windshield washer fluid

AH Sri Turb04
20th January 2009, 12:38 PM
My display had this huge warning that the washer levels were low and I was just going to fill the washer bottle with distilled water. However before I do so, i wanted to ask OA the following 2 questions:

(a) what have others done? and
(b) does anyone know what the recommended fluid is?

Thanks!

nuggz
20th January 2009, 12:45 PM
plain tap water is fine
for the best result, i use windscreen washer additive, basically just soap

jim7777777
20th January 2009, 12:48 PM
Use some Bars bugs concentrate in with tap water...

imay
20th January 2009, 01:26 PM
When using "windscreen washer concentrate" mix it to the suggested ratios . . . some of these cleaners use rather strong surfactants to help clear the road grime from your windscreen, but can just as easily strip the polish/wax off your paintwork that you spent ages buffing to a mirror shine the weekend before.

Clean water is as good as anything in the washer bottle, and give your windscreen a good scrub/clean at home every now and then.

guy 27
20th January 2009, 01:39 PM
I just use windex and tap water. clean and streak free.

GreyRex
20th January 2009, 01:46 PM
I've found in the past that if I just add water... it wets the windscreen, but doesn't seem to 'lubricate it' as such (the wipers can have the ripple effect/sound across the windscreen). So i'd tend to look at what windscreen washer additives there are

Jerram
20th January 2009, 02:40 PM
I've found in the past that if I just add water... it wets the windscreen, but doesn't seem to 'lubricate it' as such (the wipers can have the ripple effect/sound across the windscreen). So i'd tend to look at what windscreen washer additives there are

yeah just get it to foam up a bit and you're set. SCA reps would be all over selling this stuff.

CNBLU
20th January 2009, 05:44 PM
i use tap water and wax. water just beads off

Neeko
20th January 2009, 05:52 PM
i use johnsons baby shampoo :) no harm on paint, cleans godly, smells good inside the car and if it ever were to happen and you shot someone in the face while cleaning your windscreen you won't cry :p Johnsons No tears baby shampoo

Taffy
20th January 2009, 05:56 PM
I use Castrol washer fluid, but it has ammonia on it so not sure if it's really the best idea. Tap water sounds good as others have suggested.

I also recommend a set of Bosch Aero flat wiper blades. Perfect.

poita
20th January 2009, 07:02 PM
i use johnsons baby shampoo :) no harm on paint, cleans godly, smells good inside the car and if it ever were to happen and you shot someone in the face while cleaning your windscreen you won't cry :p Johnsons No tears baby shampoo

funniest thing i've read for a while hahaha

i use some bug remover crap in a yellow bottle, does the job well

AH Sri Turb04
21st January 2009, 09:48 AM
funniest thing i've read for a while hahaha

i use some bug remover crap in a yellow bottle, does the job well

Well yes the johnson baby shampoo definitely sounds interesting!

The general consensus appears to be tap water and potentially any washer fluid ...