PDA

View Full Version : Fibreglass spoiler compared to plastic spoiler

mangobaby84
19th January 2009, 07:16 PM
Hi,

I just wanted to know if fibreglass is better then plastic when it comes to rear spoilers? Which is best to have and why?

Thanks

Shay
19th January 2009, 07:21 PM
dont think theres much difference. fiberglass will be heavier and chip a lot easier. but its probably harder to get fancy shapes/ styles in plastic.

dont take my word just guestimatin

John_LS1
19th January 2009, 11:01 PM
fibreglass tends to have a ripple effect when looked at on certain angles. i would go plastic but it will cost you more.

USC
20th January 2009, 02:40 AM
Plastic is stronger.

Wraith
20th January 2009, 08:26 AM
Hi,

I just wanted to know if fibreglass is better then plastic when it comes to rear spoilers? Which is best to have and why?

Thanks

Plastic is o/a better than fibreglass with these items, that's why they usually cost more...

The usual plastic material used is 'ABS' compared with fibreglass, it is more flexible, more tolerent to shock treatment ie: it will resist expansion, contraction and bending without breaking compared to fibreglass and usually has a neater smoother surface for painting, which will give a better end result and usually also paint will adhere to plastics better than fibreglass...I'd say the worst thing about fibreglass is that it's too fragile and breaks way too easily !

I've always opted for plastic for these items for my cars, I've never used or wanted to use fibreglass.

Keep'emRunning
20th January 2009, 04:07 PM
Plastic is stronger.

what you talkin' bout willis!

Fibreglass is FRP.. or fibre reinforced plastic ;)

As for surface finish, most frp parts that show ripple that are pulled from molds, have had inadequate or zero post curing because of fast production times (eg Talon bodykits) :D

USC
21st January 2009, 12:11 AM
what you talkin' bout willis!

Fibreglass is FRP.. or fibre reinforced plastic ;)

As for surface finish, most frp parts that show ripple that are pulled from molds, have had inadequate or zero post curing because of fast production times (eg Talon bodykits) :D

stronger in the sense that it will not crack upon impact. Plastic also looks much nicer painted than fibreglass, which does look cheap.

Keep'emRunning
21st January 2009, 10:00 AM
Unfortunately most bodykit makers use low cost materials and untrained people to make their parts, and it's easy to get the wrong impression after seeing some of the crap that's around.

As an example..here's a 2m r/c glider wing from a CNC mold I made a while ago. Mold was painted first, then laid up using sandwich construction, and shows the mirror finish when the part was popped out.

It's only 13mm thick, but can handle loads of over 80kgs. Part is accurate to less than 0.1mm too :) Similar techniques as an F1 car shell.

But as you said, any big impacts (like going thru a pine tree @ 200kph ) and it's history :)

poita
21st January 2009, 08:55 PM
But as you said, any big impacts (like going thru a pine tree @ 200kph ) and it's history :)

had experience?

Keep'emRunning
22nd January 2009, 11:43 AM
gum tree vs carbon fibre @ ~140kph.. score 1,0 :o