PDA

View Full Version : How to get this dealers sticker off

Widseth
19th January 2009, 03:20 PM
How do I get this dealers sticker off without damaging the paint. It use to have a rubbery clear film on the top which came off very easily, but the rest does not want to come off at all.

Why couldn't they just put a sticker on the window!

And yes, I apologise, the car is very dirty.

http://i464.photobucket.com/albums/rr3/widseth/IMG_7843.jpg

Any help would be greatly appreciated

nuggz
19th January 2009, 03:32 PM
if it was me, i'd try and peel as much off as possible
and use turps to remove the glue

immenotu
19th January 2009, 04:10 PM
Couple of things to try...

1. Hair dryer to heat the sticker up, should make it peel off easier.
2. Eucalyptus oil to remove glue residue, works really well.
3. If you really cant get it off buy a caramel (toffee) wheel off eBay, goes in your drill and removes stickers in no time.

Hope that helps :)

MR VXR
19th January 2009, 06:56 PM
if the top clear bit is off try some wax and grease remover, should remove the rest and won't damage the paint just make sure you wipe it with a dry cloth when your done.

gman
19th January 2009, 07:36 PM
1: Use a hairdryer on as hot as you can on the sticker to soften the adhesive..

2: Slip dental floss under the sticker and use a sawing motion to slowly remove the sticker.

3: Use Prep Sol or similar paint surface preparation solvent and a soft rag (so you don't scratch the paint) to remove the surface adhesive..

4: Its done...

USC
20th January 2009, 02:45 AM
Soak it in lense cleaner (isopropyl alchohol or window cleaner) and scratch with your nail...gently ( make sure your nail is not sharp). This will get most of the paper off.

Once paper layer is off, spray WD40 on the glue residue and use a microfibre cloth to wipe in circular motion..be generous with the WD40 oil until all glue is off.

Finish with a nice wax and polish over the area.

Widseth
20th January 2009, 02:57 PM
Thanks everyone. Im going to go with immenotu plus a bit of gman (Dental Floss) and then finish it off with a bit of USC (Finish with a nice wax and polish over the area). I like the idea of using Eucalyptus over some of these more aggressive solvents.

Immenotu I couldn’t find a caramel (toffee) wheel, what is it?

immenotu
20th January 2009, 03:24 PM

Its one of these, basically a rubber wheel that you use to remove glue and stickers...

http://i206.photobucket.com/albums/bb258/immenotu_sri/Random%20Stuff/caramelwheel.jpg

Which i got here (there is one for sale atm)...

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Pinstripe-Remover-Wheel-adhesive-tape-pin-stripe-remove_W0QQitemZ170293867916QQihZ007QQcategoryZ439 97QQtcZphotoQQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp1742.m153.l12 62

USC
21st January 2009, 12:13 AM
Thanks everyone. Im going to go with immenotu plus a bit of gman (Dental Floss) and then finish it off with a bit of USC (Finish with a nice wax and polish over the area). I like the idea of using Eucalyptus over some of these more aggressive solvents.

Eucalyptus oil is nastier than WD40 mate. It could even remove clear coat. It melts certain type of plastics too (try pour some over a cd jewel case and wipe).

immenotu
21st January 2009, 08:19 AM
Eucalyptus oil is nastier than WD40 mate. It could even remove clear coat. It melts certain type of plastics too (try pour some over a cd jewel case and wipe).

I used a bottle and a half on my doors when i de-rubstripped and they are as good as new, i wouldnt have suggested it otherwise!

As for melting plastics, he wont be using it on plastic :confused:

gman
21st January 2009, 12:52 PM
There area hundred things you can use.

Prep-sol is a spray painters preparation solvent used to remove wax and grease from painted surfaces before either painting or buffing or to remove excess build up of adhesive/wax/painters coat etc from clearcoated surfaces. If my panel beater uses it, its good enough for me.

There are lots of different ways to clean paint, some are harsher than others. Just becareful no matter what you use.

Neeko
21st January 2009, 01:42 PM
just don't use paint stripper :)

gman
21st January 2009, 04:03 PM
sandpaper perhaps? then again perhaps not... ;)

axe246
21st January 2009, 09:19 PM
Go to bunnings a bottle of De Solve IT glue and sticker remover. its natural so wont screw your paint.

sooty
22nd January 2009, 01:05 PM
Go to bunnings a bottle of De Solve IT glue and sticker remover. its natural so wont screw your paint.

That stuff sorta works...but you have to let it soak in A LOT. I use it almost every day i work to get the stickers off the furniture and patio heaters etc at work. There are probably better things out there...no detriment to the above comment of course..just letting you know my personal experience with it :)

pd-xc-72464118
19th February 2009, 08:48 PM
I used a hair dryer and a plastic cap from a 5 1/4 computer drive bay cover!

I removed a dutch international car sticker that had really faded like buggery. Once heated up the sticker itself came off very easily. Unfortunately the lettering was almost steel in that there was some sort of aluminium-like thin layer behind the N and L lettering. This seems to have caused a very-noticeable-up-close but not-noticeable-from-a-distance 'shadow'.

To remove the oval-shaped excess decrepit glue mark I did indeed use very small amounts of Eucalyptus Oil branded none other than "Eureka!" of course. The bottle says it's a 20% solution and water soluble so I guess I just got lucky because I tried it before even joining this forum, let alone seeing this thread.

I guess if I really want to get the 'shadow' off, I could cut and polish it, but I'm not sure I care enough to risk a bigger-looking 'bald spot'.

At this point I would like to give a huge swift slap to any and all morons who are stupid enough to put stickers on duco. Really, what the flying truck are they thinking?

HappySlapper82
20th February 2009, 12:04 AM
http://www.rcr.com.au/proval/catalogue.php?subid=8

Completely removed vinyl's that covered our 12yr-old sun baked work ute pretty easily.

Wraith
20th February 2009, 11:09 AM
Once the sticker is removed - by whatever means, what's wrong with just using some simple wax n polish to remove the adhesive or any other left over residue ?? it will do the task and is absolutely no risk of adverse effects, why would one have to go to the trouble and expense of acquiring solvents or other products mentioned which will then sit around and 'probably' not be ever used again...at least with the wax n polish, most people already have this and can use it all the time !

Also for any work of this kind, use a cotton terry cloth, much better than even microfibre and everyone has cotton terry cloths already in their homes ;) ...just my 2 cents :)

USC
20th February 2009, 11:04 PM
Once the sticker is removed - by whatever means, what's wrong with just using some simple wax n polish to remove the adhesive or any other left over residue ?? it will do the task and is absolutely no risk of adverse effects, why would one have to go to the trouble and expense of acquiring solvents or other products mentioned which will then sit around and 'probably' not be ever used again...at least with the wax n polish, most people already have this and can use it all the time !

Also for any work of this kind, use a cotton terry cloth, much better than even microfibre and everyone has cotton terry cloths already in their homes ;) ...just my 2 cents :)

True but wax and polish could also remove layers of paint. Solvent will only dissolve the glue, then followed by a wax n polish to polish the whole surface. but each to their own.

guy 27
20th February 2009, 11:13 PM
I just spent a spare hour or so picking at mine then some bug and tar remover I already had followed by a quick wax.

I would say just use what you have and take your time.