PDA

View Full Version : Turbs loses out to Pug...?

jimeegee
12th August 2004, 03:08 AM
Apparently Motor mag have finally lost their marbles, their lastest Bang 4 yo' bucks results shows the Pug 206 beating up on our favourite 2.0L turbo. Not happy Jan. I'd love to know how old the Astra is and how many K's are on it, considering they claim poor handling issues. I'd say it's probably done about 12,000 kays then coz that's how long it took me to ruin my first set of tyres and make it handle worse than a Pug! It must only be about the handling coz the Turbs craps all over the Pug in every other area!

Jass
12th August 2004, 07:43 AM
Yeah i saw this too yesterday. Oh well we won overall winners last year, had competion this year too, with the EVO8 been on there!

mr_sikma
12th August 2004, 08:11 AM
aslong as u r happy with the car who cares what the motor journos say.

its just personal preference, i love sigmas :lol:

BoostedAstra
12th August 2004, 12:20 PM
alotta ppl asked the same question 'did motor loose their marbles' last year when the T won it.....

This comparison (whilst cool when ur car is nominated as winner) is not at all accuarate, and should be taken as it is (a good read)

Motor throws in too many varibles that don't apply to one group in specific but everyone. Personally I don't give a stuff how much my car cost V performance i get. I am happy with what i bought. Thats all that should count...

Julian

ultim8DTM5
12th August 2004, 12:32 PM
I guess Holden will have to come up with new advertisements now :)

BUGEYE
12th August 2004, 02:41 PM
At least the right car won the 40 - 50K bracket :lol:
Wouldn't worry to much about the SRiT losing to the pug - it's a load of shite anyway IMO. I know what I'd (and most other car nuts) drive given the choice of those two cars :wink:

tofo
12th August 2004, 02:47 PM
That's be the same Motor mag that in their Feb 04 issue had an article comparing the Pug Gti 180 and Astra T - the Astra won. The last two sentences reads
"Not for nothing is the Astra our Bang For Yor Bucks champ. Even against its hottest competition yet, the Astra Turbo is still the small car to beat." :screwy:

ultim8DTM5
12th August 2004, 02:49 PM
Maybe the Pug took a price cut?

Jass
12th August 2004, 05:05 PM
I know tofo i read that same mag today they kinda contradict themselves dont they

BoostedAstra
13th August 2004, 10:26 AM
Sometimes i get the feeling that motor don't know squat and just like to dribble stuff from any available orifice.

Remember last years best bang article that said HSV tune the T for 170kw? Did this ever happen? Personally don't think HSV should touch a turbo engine(this is after experiences w/holden and the turbo engine), a lil complicated for them i think.

sorta on topic, lined up a 180 the other day, standing start bout half car in front by the change to 2nd. Rolling start at 50 in 2nd no contest, didn't even bother to slow down to ask the guy if there was something wrong.
These cars have a very small powerband to get em and go, no wall of torque like the T. Those drivers must be working dam hard......

extralarge
13th August 2004, 11:07 AM
just popped down and bought the magazine.

i just read the article.

pug was 1st for 4 judges. astra was 1st for 2 judges. it is anyones guess that one judge could have made the astra 1st and it would at least even.

both are good cars. i'd find it hard to compare them directly since they are cars of different classes.

interesting was how the article said that the astra's brakes didn't quite feel 100% as last year, nor was body build up to scratch... i doubt whether the build variation was that much to notice.

it was a close finish after all.

rjastra
13th August 2004, 01:28 PM
both are good cars. i'd find it hard to compare them directly since they are cars of different classes.

WHat the? exactly what do you think the competitors to the SRiT are/where? Of course the Clio Sport/206 180 are natural competitors to the SRiT

XTurboC
13th August 2004, 04:31 PM
Motor Mag = checkbook journalism .. why would you "foul" your own backyard .. Aussie cars will win most shootouts .. don't worry the Astra is still the king.

- ME -

Corsa
14th August 2004, 01:34 AM
Personally don't think HSV should touch a turbo engine(this is after experiences w/holden and the turbo engine), a lil complicated for them i think.

I agree, that way my HSV will remain one of only three Turbo's ever sold by them. :)
Corsa

jch75
14th August 2004, 06:02 AM
That's be the same Motor mag that in their Feb 04 issue had an article comparing the Pug Gti 180 and Astra T - the Astra won. The last two sentences reads
"Not for nothing is the Astra our Bang For Yor Bucks champ. Even against its hottest competition yet, the Astra Turbo is still the small car to beat." :screwy:

Somewhere in the mag it says they r bagging GM throughout the August issue. They are obviously just sticking to the theme. I'll give you the page number when I get home.

The race driver said the Astras brakes didn't feel 100% but he also said the Pugs gears tended to CRUNCH............ I know what I would prefer................... having no brakes is way more fun!

dan_kind
14th August 2004, 05:33 PM
Well the lowest range certainly had the right car win...

:P

Anonymous
14th August 2004, 06:33 PM
Personally don't think HSV should touch a turbo engine(this is after experiences w/holden and the turbo engine), a lil complicated for them i think.

I agree, that way my HSV will remain one of only three Turbo's ever sold by them. :)
Corsa

Corsa, So ya have a Genuine HSV Barina GSi Turbo?
What colour is it?
Coz I used to work @ HSV. They Made 5 but only 3 Survived, A former workmate has/had one. They were pretty Quick :)

And on the other note, HSV did play around with Astra G Turbo.
It proved to be to expensive to Play with so Project was Rejected due to Problems.
HSV do have the knowledge of Turbo Cars. What about the VL Turbo Director, I think 250kw Turbo is pretty healthy for 1986 standards and Competition to the Skyline GTR that is was designed to combat.
Too bad they only made a small handfull and if 1 does come on the market expect to pay Big $$$$$$$$ for it :)

Corsa
14th August 2004, 07:00 PM
No Barina's for me. Director (V8 only) was a HDT built by Brock just like my HDT Corsa Turbo. My HSV is a VL Berlina called F20 with two built and 1 Turbo company car that lives down your way.
Corsa

Anonymous
14th August 2004, 07:50 PM
Yeah, HDT Director not HSV :)
They made 5 or so VL Turbo Directors, All Black with HDT Star Form Rims.
And there is also supposedly a 1 off 304 Twin Turbo Director or Aero, I've never seen it but it was @ Shannons Auction a while ago.