PDA

View Full Version : Astra SXI or Golf Gen 1.6 for the next 10-15 years?

SAPH
11th August 2004, 07:13 PM
Guys,

The Astra SXI or the Golf 1.6 for the next 10-15 years? :?

Which one is more durable?

SXI packaging is nice while the Golf is boring as ever but seems more durable.

What do you rekon?

cheers
SAPH

imad4u
11th August 2004, 07:43 PM
at the end of the day parts for the astra's in 10 years time shouldnt be to hard to come by... so i would go for the astra

dug74
11th August 2004, 07:52 PM
yeah...there are heaps around...and if in 10 years you do need some parts...check your local wrecking yard.... :mrgreen:

Degen-Astra
11th August 2004, 08:22 PM
For your own sake - do a comparison on 2nd Hand Golfs on sale now from the year 2000 against the same year of an Astra with the same features.
At the moment you will find that the Astra is depreciating LESS than the current Golf is.

Both Astra and Golf are getting facelifts this year as well. So deals can be made on both.

Anonymous
11th August 2004, 09:12 PM
Astra SRi if for the next 15 years

save a little more...

gaero
11th August 2004, 09:38 PM
When i was looking around checked out most cars in the sxi price range, the only one VW was the polo, which ain't bad till i saw its head lights :shock: <= thats what they kinda look like. Golf is like a few grand more (apples with apples??)

If ya lookn' at keeping the car for 10yrs+ definitly get a manual,
any way that sorta time frame is a long time for any car, probably gonna have a recon engine+drivetrain, cv joints etc by then, this applies to all cars

Also depends on how much you drive it and how you drive it (granny or street racer style)

think you were also asking bout colour in another thread, for this time frame go white, also cause you said you liked it.
silver or even smurff may be out and burgundy :twisted: maybe the new IT colour in 5 yrs time, who knows??

gaero
11th August 2004, 09:44 PM

save a little more...

heard this before, a bigger engine (2.2) lasts longer than a smaller one (1.8 )

don't know the reasoning behind it

Blitzkrieg
11th August 2004, 10:00 PM
Buy an A3, the old man drives the 2003 1.6 model and hasn't had a problem with it yet. Provided you don't drive like a tool it will be sweet.

Go for Astra if you want cheap parts.

Go for the Audi if you want the look of prestige.

Speed is a non-factor in both.

I warn you but, minor service for an A3 from the dealer will set you back half a grand.

Good luck with the shopping.

SAPH
12th August 2004, 07:11 PM

save a little more...

heard this before, a bigger engine (2.2) lasts longer than a smaller one (1.8 )

don't know the reasoning behind it

Gaero, thanks for your pointers. Will start a forum on SXI vs SRI. Let's see what others think. :?

cheers
SAPH