PDA

View Full Version : Build Sticker Missing

skuzlebut26
13th January 2009, 01:32 AM
Hi Guys can someone please help me?

I have a Astra cdx 2004 and it had front end damage and as a result the Build Sticker was destroyed. Apparently these are not replaced.
Problem is now I am trying to trade it in and the valuer is saying that with out it, the value is reduced. Surely there is some sort of document that can prove build date. I am sure this must be a common occurance. Is it true that there is no Build plate anymore just ths sticker?

Can someone please confirm info about Build Sticker.

ASTRAY
13th January 2009, 06:27 AM
your vin number will verify build date
somewhere in the code is 1 or 2 letters that tell you the year model.
also on your rego sticker and papers should tell you what year.
my papers and sticker say something like ts04, because it is a ts model and 04 build.
also in your manual/service book, when the car is very first sold from the caryard, the guy who sold it to you/or 1st owner, will have filled out the front page of the book.
as long as you have the same vin number as stated in the book, then that is proof that the year model stated in the book is the correct year model.

short of that,,, the caryard that first sold the car new, should have stamped it with contact details etc, contact them and ask for help. they should have some sort of document that can help you.

the guy you are trying to sell to is just trying to get your car for less :mad:

Shaun
13th January 2009, 08:16 AM
Speak to Holden and see what they can do for you .

Originaldoc
13th January 2009, 07:36 PM
Speak to Holden and see what they can do for you .

Not a great deal i work for them lol , And its right that they cant be replaced because the car was an import , commodores are a different story they sometimes can help out , maybe you need to get in contact with someone at opel and you may have more luck.

Also i agree with the other comment made. They guy is trying to get your car cheaper dont settle for that.

ASTRAY
13th January 2009, 09:56 PM
Not a great deal i work for them lol , And its right that they cant be replaced because the car was an import , commodores are a different story they sometimes can help out , maybe you need to get in contact with someone at opel and you may have more luck.

Also i agree with the other comment made. They guy is trying to get your car cheaper dont settle for that.
surely holden could provide a censored photocopy of the purchase invoice, either the invoice from x dealership buying off holden, or invoice from 1st buyer buying of x dealership.

censored, eg, purchasers address etc covered, so just vehicle details show.

or like i said, the manual that comes with the car should have the cars vin number filled out in it, plus build date and with original purchasers details too.

USC
13th January 2009, 10:04 PM
Must have been a BIG crash for that little plate to get damaged!:eek: They usually may be bent but not completely destroyed.

Your vin will say the year but not the month.

Using the vin number, Holden can always check their database for built date anyways..go to spare parts, just give them your VIN and ask for your build date. Then get it printed on a plate and rivet it to your car:)

skuzlebut26
13th January 2009, 11:33 PM
I am the original owner, I bought the car brand new. I have been in touch with Holden and they have given documentation stating build date.

However, what the dealer is saying is that because the original build sticker is missing, questions will be asked by potential buyers. Like where is the build sticker and why is it not present and they will say it was lost due to repairs or similar. Because of this he will not sell it in their yard.
They are telling me that they will not be able to sell as a used car and will send it to the auctions or a used independent car yard.

I get their point of view, but why make it a sticker and put it in such a high risk area, very front of the car almost dead centre.

Why not up against the firewall next to the compliance plate???

I can't make up a plate and rivet it, people that know what to look for will pick up it's not original.

It's not a plate but a sticker around 10cm x 2cm, probably got painted over.

Accident was over 4 years ago, I didn't even know it existed until it got valued last week.

ASTRAY
13th January 2009, 11:54 PM
I am the original owner, I bought the car brand new. I have been in touch with Holden and they have given documentation stating build date.

However, what the dealer is saying is that because the original build sticker is missing, questions will be asked by potential buyers. Like where is the build sticker and why is it not present and they will say it was lost due to repairs or similar. Because of this he will not sell it in their yard.
They are telling me that they will not be able to sell as a used car and will send it to the auctions or a used independent car yard.

I get their point of view, but why make it a sticker and put it in such a high risk area, very front of the car almost dead centre.

I can't make up a plate and rivet it, people that know what to look for will pick up it's not original.

Accident was over 4 years ago, I didn't even know it existed until it got valued last week.

so the dealer wants to be shonky and be able to sell the car off as a car which has had no damage before.
a car which has been damaged before will generally get less interest shown in it, because the structure of it will have be comprimised, so yeah it will be worth less than a car of same model/age/condition etc that hasnt had any damage.

if he doesnt know it has been damaged before, try to beat him at his own game and tell him you removed it because you thought it looked better without the sticker :p

if it has only been painted over, you might be able to remove the paint in that spot?

but if the sticker is still there you would be able to tell.

USC
14th January 2009, 12:01 AM

On the AH, it is a black plate at the front. Cant believe the panel shop just got rid of it.
Dealers always say a lot of crap..like they cant sell it on their yard..etc..but its not true..they are just trying to get the car for really cheap.
A car that has had a front end will never be the same again though..hence it will lose value.

skuzlebut26
14th January 2009, 12:43 AM
The valuer picked up that it had repairs, they asked if it had been in an accident as they could tell that panels had been removed.

They are offering $7,500 I was expecting $10,000 - $11,000

Has done 97,000kms

They said if it had the sticker then they would have given $10,000

ASTRAY
14th January 2009, 12:59 AM
The valuer picked up that it had repairs, they asked if it had been in an accident as they could tell that panels had been removed.

They are offering $7,500 I was expecting $10,000 - $11,000

Has done 97,000kms

They said if it had the sticker then they would have given $10,000
my astra is a my4.5 classic with a few options added.
personally if anyone offered me $7.5k, id tell them where to stick their money, and not in a polite manner either.
not that i think its worth more than that, rather its worth more than that to me, if you know what i mean.

what car are you trying to trade it in for?

JohnBu
14th January 2009, 10:44 AM
Sorry to say, I'm agreeing with the dealer, however $2,500 is over the top.

Me? I'd be inquiring with my insurance company who fixed the car as the repairer didn't repair it to as new condition

Shaun
14th January 2009, 06:01 PM

They may not be able to give you a replacement car but the surely could supply a Stat Dec that states the build date .

low astra
14th January 2009, 07:16 PM
can u not try to sell it private?

maloo97
14th January 2009, 07:20 PM
can u not try to sell it private?

Good call, Or what if u got your little sticker made up ?

poita
14th January 2009, 07:25 PM
ring autovaux, see if you can get one.
get certificate to prove the details.
get plate engraved and attached to car

low astra
14th January 2009, 07:51 PM
thats the ticket, just get a little pice of stainless, get a sticker guy to make up a sticker of the printing on it, and then go to a tool shop get a set of number and letter punches in a similar size to the standard plate, punch your stuff on, then re attach

people looking at the car to buy wont kow what there looking at, and most the blokes that do pre purchase inspections on the cars dont look at the plate to much, they just have a glance to check the numbers

but dont take it to holden if u do that, they will have it noted in there system by now