BEK-46P
10th January 2009, 12:33 AM
Nice idea but it's a mistake.

NEMO
10th January 2009, 08:13 AM
Those wheels look like dolce chrome tempe tyres specials

ASTRAY
10th January 2009, 08:23 AM
i think the scheme looks alot better on the vc than it does on the ve.
the ve wheels look crap. in that pic they look plastic, even the vc ones look better.
i really like ve, but theres something about that one that puts me off, i dont know what it is, maybe the pin stripes? or the white? i do like white, but i dont think it suits that kit.

edit, nope its not the white, its the pin stripes.

probably looks much better in the flesh though.

9090GO
10th January 2009, 08:28 AM
Nope, I like the VE SSV, this is just too much for a VE.

Shaun
10th January 2009, 09:25 AM
In a sence it takes a way from what HDT was all about back when it was owned by Peter Brock. HDT was the HSV of today back in the 80's. Im told the Blue one based on the Blue VK HDT is ment to look good. i seen a black one @ Summer Nats. It looks better in white i have to say.

I do like it. I think HDT will sell a few of them. Its something different and an option for those who want some thing different.

imay
10th January 2009, 12:02 PM
Didn't particularly like it back then . . . doesn't do much for me now either!

I'll pass thanks.

Vectracious
10th January 2009, 12:16 PM
80's style pinstriping and that rear spoiler on a 21st century car.

damn - where's that I'm going to be sick emoticon.

poita
10th January 2009, 12:25 PM
10/10 for the idea.

1/10 for the execution

just the wrong style of car for the bosy styling.
wats next, a walkinshaw remake?

ASTRAY
10th January 2009, 12:34 PM
i searched up on this and got really excited when i discovered that they were doing a blue vk one too, finally found a pic of one, and it looks nothing like the vk, the only that is the same, is the wheels.
dont like it at all.
http://www.drive.com.au/Editorial/ArticleDetail.aspx?ArticleID=43929&vf=2&GalleryType=2&ImageID=3&ReferringArticleID=43923

you can veiw the other colours at that link too.

poita
10th January 2009, 12:39 PM
thats a horrible photoshop of the wheels jay

ASTRAY
10th January 2009, 01:08 PM
thats a horrible photoshop of the wheels jay

i didnt do it mate, thats how it is on the site.
ive never liked the original wheels anyway, too bland.
love the original car though.

nadg63
10th January 2009, 01:35 PM
Cashed-up Bogans will love it!

poita
10th January 2009, 01:40 PM
or someone who has an original one.
and wants the matching pair

tomtom
10th January 2009, 01:43 PM
"This is about keeping the spirit of Peter Brock alive," says Champion, who also plans to open a Brock museum near Rockhampton later this year. "We want to build cars that Peter Brock would have built today."

I doubt Brocky would have approved these cars. All they've done is simple said:

"Ok. We need to pay tribute to the old car. How will we do that?"
"Alright. We'll take the old spoiler, wheels and stickers...and stick it on the new one!"
"Should we...try and design them so they blend in with the new car but still echo to the old one instead of just slapping it on...literally?"
"Nawwww like what if people don't like it? They'll say we ruined PB's brand. If we just take old parts and stick them on, who can blame us? Don't like the part? Well its a PB part so STFU!"
"GENIOUS MARTIN! GENIOUS!"
";)!!"

Terrible terrible. Everything aesthetic about those cars is terrible.

As Chip Foose once said "When I modify cars I want people to look at them and say...Ok...so what did you do? I want my modifcations to look like they belong..." (or something along those lines).

mr corsa
10th January 2009, 02:03 PM
wish holdens would stop trying to bring back the past as for the old hdt brock gotta love those imscher rims

xplosv57
10th January 2009, 02:12 PM
HDT needs to realise they were washed up many years ago and just give up, this VE HDT based on the VC has been for sale for almost a year now, i assume they're shipping them off to dealers cos HDT couldn't sell them themselves!!

Investment wise, not a great idea either, i know a few people with VT-VX HDT cars, not worth a great deal, except possibly one which has had alot of $$$ spent and has Brocky's autograph on it.

HDT has gotta move on so original HDT cars don't lose their value/reputation and let the hundereds of better Commodore tuning shops keep doing what they do!!

nadg63
10th January 2009, 02:19 PM
Brocks dead and this and any more planned to follow should join him!

ASTRAY
10th January 2009, 02:31 PM
same could be said about the newer monaros, most older folk were very upset when they bought out the new ones.
personally i prefer the newer monaros, especially the ones with the two holes on the scoop facing forward (2004 i think)
then again i dont like the older monaros at all.

i think you can successfully revive any car, you just have to get it right.
the designers of the monaro got it right.
hdt hasnt.

also.
look at the stock vc, the hdt kit made a huge difference, made it look more muscular etc.

if you look at the ve, even the stock ones look like they have a fairly big kit on it already, ie flared guards etc, its going to be harder to improve on that.
i like what hsv done though.

it hasnt really been that long they done the monaro, if they waited 10 or 20yrs more before they done the hdt, peoples opinions might be different.

xplosv57
10th January 2009, 02:39 PM
The new Monaro is in no way based on the old one design wise, except for having 2 doors, different story to what HDT is doing to the VE by adding a 25 yr old kit to a current model!!

ASTRAY
10th January 2009, 02:52 PM
The new Monaro is in no way based on the old one design wise, except for having 2 doors, different story to what HDT is doing to the VE by adding a 25 yr old kit to a current model!!
true, and sorry i didnt explain that that wasnt what i was getting at in my comments about the monaro,
what i meant was that when they done the new monaro they came up with something that improved on the older one.
not so with the hdt.

Wraith
10th January 2009, 03:39 PM
Didn't particularly like it back then . . . doesn't do much for me now either!

I'll pass thanks.

+ 1 looks absolutely ridiculous IMO and the real HDT has been long gone...

Yet another feeble attempt by GMH to try and get some $$$ with an 'exclusive' model in already tough times...

Charlatan
11th January 2009, 06:26 PM
The photo in this thread is of their prototype I believe. The 'production' version has some wheels that are closer to the original irmschers. I dont mind the look of cars to be honest, no way I'd be dropping $50k on one though. The just seem to be a sticker and stripe job with some wheels and skirts. That spoiler on the boot messes with the taillights too which is pretty lame (HSV lights/metal would look better).

HDT is also an independently owned workshop as I understand (someone basically bought the HDT name) - so no official association with GMH, other than using their cars. I cant see that these vehicles are going to affect the resale of the original HDTs (the financial crisis will do that!), people who buy those cars know what they are about.

Agreed re people who want one to match their original, just like those who bought the new Cobra to match their original.

Charlatan
11th January 2009, 06:28 PM
Red one looks bland

dieselhead
11th January 2009, 06:31 PM
Oh dear... Like the VE wasn't ugly enough already... Why on earth would you fit kit on a contemporary car to make it look like an 80s relic? :)

Originaldoc
11th January 2009, 06:48 PM
Typical OVERKILL it makes you wonder whats wrong with these car designers they spend a billion designing it and then go and do something like that. The red one looks like it should be firebombed lol how UGLY.

That scoop just dosent do the car any justice at all. :eek:

daiflu
11th January 2009, 07:46 PM
FYI the blue colour is called "Perfect Blue" after Peter Perfect, and will be a production colour scheduled for 2011 ;)

Wraith
12th January 2009, 08:27 AM
Red one looks bland

Just my opinion but this thing is ugly - looks like the bastard child of a VE and VH, agree with what Steve's said in his post above...not knocking the VH, I owned one for 12 years and loved it, but trying to make a VE look like one including those SS stickers and bonnet fins which are the same as those from over 20 years ago looks all wrong IMO.

ASTRAY
12th January 2009, 06:43 PM
Just my opinion but this thing is ugly - looks like the bastard child of a VE and VH, agree with what Steve's said in his post above...not knocking the VH, I owned one for 12 years and loved it, but trying to make a VE look like one including those SS stickers and bonnet fins which are the same as those from over 20 years ago looks all wrong IMO.

i may be wrong, but i think you may find that the red one is a ve version of the vn, not vh.
im pretty sure the ss only started with vn.
edit, hmmm, i just searched it up, you may be right, there was a vh ss, first ive heard of it.
i am very sorry mate.
was there a vk ss?
seems there was...
learn something new every day hey!?!

poita
12th January 2009, 07:07 PM
defin was a VK one, my mum had one.
ss group a peter brock commodore

ASTRAY
12th January 2009, 07:58 PM
defin was a VK one, my mum had one.
ss group a peter brock commodore
yeah, i noticed that when i checked up on it.
ive always known them as group a etc, not ss.

Vectracious
12th January 2009, 08:05 PM
yeah, i noticed that when i checked up on it.
ive always known them as group a etc, not ss.

Yeah - was a SS Group A - ie an SS Commodore that was homologated to run in the Group A touring car series of the time.

Huhness
12th January 2009, 08:13 PM
I like it. ;)

sooty
12th January 2009, 08:44 PM
Horrendous!

hazrd
12th January 2009, 10:13 PM
regardless to how common, ill always be a little bit of a commodore fan... but the HDT has to stay back where the original came from this ones a no-no

Wraith
13th January 2009, 08:40 AM
i may be wrong, but i think you may find that the red one is a ve version of the vn, not vh.
im pretty sure the ss only started with vn.
edit, hmmm, i just searched it up, you may be right, there was a vh ss, first ive heard of it.
i am very sorry mate.
was there a vk ss?
seems there was...
learn something new every day hey!?!

Good you guys looked it up ;)

Yes, I'm showing my age again, but there was an SS variant with the VH Commodore, it DID NOT start with the VN, the LAST true Brockie SS was in the VN model, not the 1st LOL !!!

Did I not mention earlier in this thread I owned a VH for 12 years ;)

As for the VK series, there were both SS and Group series variants and there was also a Brockie 'Director' variant...

Greg K
13th January 2009, 10:13 AM
there were four types of VK HDT vehicles:
1) VK SS - a watered down version of the Group 3
2) VK SS Group 3 - different kit and set-up to the Group A
3) VK Director - basically a tricked up Calais
4) VK SS Group A - most exclusive of them all with only 500 built (n.b. this car did the 0 - 100km/h dash in 6.25 seconds!!!)

http://www.uniquecarsandparts.com.au/brochures_hdt_brock_vk_ss.htm

poita
13th January 2009, 10:41 AM
my mum had a white version of number 4 on that list

Wraith
13th January 2009, 01:02 PM
my mum had a white version of number 4 on that list

Are you sure Poita ???? that can't be...unless it was re-sprayed - unlikely ??

They were all in that now infamous blue colour...some had white rims though, the basic VK SS (No.1 on that list) came in 3 colours, white, black and silver, I remember when they were released, I'd just got my licence and I wanted one so bad, but couldn't afford one :(

BTW info above by Greg K is correct :)

I had a set of the '16" rims" not 15" HDT rims and most of the mechanical running gear off one of those on my VH SL/E, went like stink :)

My favourite and one I always wanted to get my hands on in later years was the VK Director...

Greg K
13th January 2009, 01:54 PM
The VK SS Group A's came out in Formula Blue and Silver only (as far as i know)

Pete, i would love to be proven wrong, but i think your mums would have been either a SS Group 3 or an SS.

Wraith, i read somewhere that the SS's came out in numerous colours including a copycat Formula Blue like the SS Group A's. Some people were putting the Group A kits on their SS's and passing them off for original Brockies.

i forgot what the topic was now.....

um thats right about the new VE HDT. i can see why HDT did it, but im afraid that they wont be a classic in 20 years time with just a few body mods from the 80's.

hazrd
13th January 2009, 02:13 PM
looking closer at the pic of the red one above.... i could see potential in it if they got rid of those god awful wheels and modernised them a bit... look at the newer model monaros... absolutely nothing like the old one and they went pretty damn good with that..

different project manager on the HDT i would bet :)

MatsHolden
13th January 2009, 02:35 PM
i can see why Holden did it,

looking closer at the pic of the red one above.... i could see potential in it if they got rid of those god awful wheels and modernised them a bit... look at the newer model monaros... absolutely nothing like the old one and they went pretty damn good with that..

different project manager on the HDT i would bet :)

HDT is seperate from Holden as someone has already said. ;)

poita
13th January 2009, 02:44 PM
to Ange and Greg - i know it was defin white.
and i know it had group a ss stickers with brock signature on them
on the front quarter panels, i was only like 10 or so
maybe memory is a bit hazy

Wraith
13th January 2009, 03:40 PM
The VK SS Group A's came out in Formula Blue and Silver only (as far as i know)

Pete, i would love to be proven wrong, but i think your mums would have been either a SS Group 3 or an SS.

Wraith, i read somewhere that the SS's came out in numerous colours including a copycat Formula Blue like the SS Group A's. Some people were putting the Group A kits on their SS's and passing them off for original Brockies.

i forgot what the topic was now.....

um thats right about the new VE HDT. i can see why Holden did it, but im afraid that they wont be a classic in 20 years time with just a few body mods from the 80's.

AFAIK 'Blue only' for the VK Group A's Greg...we'll have to check to make sure...

gman
13th January 2009, 03:41 PM
I had a VK SS Group A and it was Blue...It was also a handful and damn fun...Should never have sold it....

Wraith
13th January 2009, 03:44 PM
to Ange and Greg - i know it was defin white.
and i know it had group a ss stickers with brock signature on them
on the front quarter panels, i was only like 10 or so
maybe memory is a bit hazy

Definitely Blue and 'maybe' (although I don't think so as I've mentioned in post above to Greg) silver, but definitely not white for that variant Pete.

My guess is that the one your mum had could've been a normal SS with the Group A stickers put on it (you could buy these BTW, heaps of wankers had em on their base model SL Commodores) or maybe a Group 3 (if they were available in white ?? ) again we'll have to check...

Edit: I've just done some quick research and I think the one your mum had Pete is the VK Group 3 not group A, the Group 3 was available in white and 'asteroid' silver - Group A in 'formula Blue' only...that would make it No.2 from Gregs list :)

Wraith
13th January 2009, 04:04 PM
I had a VK SS Group A and it was Blue...It was also a handful and damn fun...Should never have sold it....

Yeh, as I've listed above, those were all blue...thought I was going mad for a while in this thread LOL, I remember quite well when they were released and checked them out, whereas most peeps here would be too young to know these cars well :)

Never been in one, but saw numerous on the road, they certainly were a very hi po car for the day :)

gman
13th January 2009, 04:12 PM
Yeah it was good fun...Though I'm starting to show MY age having owned one... ;)

Wraith
13th January 2009, 04:15 PM
Yeah it was good fun...Though I'm starting to show MY age having owned one... ;)

Not really, you can still buy one now s/h and be a very young fella...

Did you buy it new ??? maybe then your showing your age LOL :)

Just noticed your avi - not old enough to have bought one new, I was but couldn't afford it :(

ASTRAY
13th January 2009, 04:45 PM
Red one looks bland
would look better with chrome grille

poita
13th January 2009, 04:49 PM
would look better with chrome grille

would look better with a lit match in the fuel tank.
they have epically failed on it.

shame on HDT

ASTRAY
13th January 2009, 04:56 PM
Good you guys looked it up ;)

Yes, I'm showing my age again, but there was an SS variant with the VH Commodore, it DID NOT start with the VN, the LAST true Brockie SS was in the VN model, not the 1st LOL !!!

Did I not mention earlier in this thread I owned a VH for 12 years ;)

As for the VK series, there were both SS and Group series variants and there was also a Brockie 'Director' variant...

yeah, said sorry mate....please forgive me.
was going to delete the first but but figured people would have read it, and wasnt going to try to hide my mistakes. i can admit i was wrong :)

i am glad you mentioned it though, cos as i said, i never knew :o
worst thing about me not knowing is the fact that the vks are my most favourite car ever.
i could be easily talked into owning a countach instead though :D depends on how nicely done up the vk is.
one thing ive never liked about the vk though, is the change in dash instruments, should have kept the circles.
i had a vb 253 sedan when i was 18, base model but a bloke down the road was stripping a vb sle, so i got all his interior (woodgrain dash peices, velour seats, door trims and a few extra exterior chrome strips)
and swapped mine as my originals were pretty tatty, understandable for a 20yr old family car.
its weird how my 79 vb had power steering, but my gfs current 90 nova (corolla) hasnt got power steering.

gman
13th January 2009, 05:10 PM
Not really, you can still buy one now s/h and be a very young fella...

Did you buy it new ??? maybe then your showing your age LOL :)

Just noticed your avi - not old enough to have bought one new, I was but couldn't afford it :(

2nd hand with papers and low km's...Sold it after 18 months to a collector and made some cash...Worth more now...One of those "I wish I hadn't sold it" moments...

Wraith
13th January 2009, 07:22 PM
yeah, said sorry mate....please forgive me.
was going to delete the first but but figured people would have read it, and wasnt going to try to hide my mistakes. i can admit i was wrong :)

i am glad you mentioned it though, cos as i said, i never knew :o
worst thing about me not knowing is the fact that the vks are my most favourite car ever.
i could be easily talked into owning a countach instead though :D depends on how nicely done up the vk is.
one thing ive never liked about the vk though, is the change in dash instruments, should have kept the circles.
i had a vb 253 sedan when i was 18, base model but a bloke down the road was stripping a vb sle, so i got all his interior (woodgrain dash peices, velour seats, door trims and a few extra exterior chrome strips)
and swapped mine as my originals were pretty tatty, understandable for a 20yr old family car.
its weird how my 79 vb had power steering, but my gfs current 90 nova (corolla) hasnt got power steering.

Apologies jaysastra04 if I was too harsh, I too have been wrong many times :o all's ok :)

Speaking of those items you mention above, I actually loved the VK Calais electronic dash when it 1st came out, was very advanced and cool at that time IMO...

Pity it suffered many problems hence Holden discontinued it.

The earlier SL/E range were really very good and extremely well equipped cars as you pointed out above, I loved mine, hence owning it for 12 years, had all the luxury and kit and went not too bad either with all the Brockie Group A gear, will have to put some pics up :)

Wraith
13th January 2009, 07:28 PM
2nd hand with papers and low km's...Sold it after 18 months to a collector and made some cash...Worth more now...One of those "I wish I hadn't sold it" moments...

Arrrggghhh damn shame and now I'm having one of those "I wish I hadn't sold 'THEM' moments" :doh:

I've had/owned a genuine XU-1, SL/R 5000 Toranas and original XA GT, if only I'd had a crystal ball to tell me their worth decades down the track, I'd be so much the better for it now...so many other mates of mine had genuine XW and XY GT's they're all crying when the subject comes up, I remember we used to buy and sell those things during the early '80's for around 10-20k now they worth up to nearly $1million DOHHHHHHHHHHHH.

What's happened to that 'doh' emocon ?? LOL :)

ASTRAY
14th January 2009, 01:13 AM
Arrrggghhh damn shame and now I'm having one of those "I wish I hadn't sold 'THEM' moments" :doh:

I've had/owned a genuine XU-1, SL/R 5000 Toranas and original XA GT, if only I'd had a crystal ball to tell me their worth decades down the track, I'd be so much the better for it now...so many other mates of mine had genuine XW and XY GT's they're all crying when the subject comes up, I remember we used to buy and sell those things during the early '80's for around 10-20k now they worth up to nearly $1million DOHHHHHHHHHHHH.

What's happened to that 'doh' emocon ?? LOL :)

someone once told me the price of a vk back when they were new, i think it was something like $3k or something. maybe 15k.
all i can remember was thinking gee prices have gone up on new cars!

Wraith
14th January 2009, 08:31 AM
someone once told me the price of a vk back when they were new, i think it was something like $3k or something. maybe 15k.
all i can remember was thinking gee prices have gone up on new cars!

Not that cheap, they ranged between 13 - 24k from base model to Calias V8 and the Blue Group A's we've been talking about in this thread were around 30k, all those prices are not including ORC's...

But yeh, your right cars are damn more expensive these days, but some types have remained the same like the Wrx and some others are actually quite cheap for this day and age :)

If you own one of the Formula Blue VK Brockies and it's in good condition, they're fetching around 150k these days, who says all cars are bad investments :)