PDA

View Full Version : Dissicion making "Trading in a TT for AH SRi-T 07"

fung9420
8th January 2009, 09:47 AM
Currently, I m driving an Audi TT 2000 Quattro Roadster. Recently, I have got an offer for someone trading his AH turbo with 13k kms + some cash for my TT.

For personal reason, I need a car with backseats now.
Now just struggling about a kind of downgrade.

What u guys would think? Take it or not.

I am new to the forum. To be honest, not much knowledge with Holden/Opel.

Thanks

EL BURITO
8th January 2009, 09:51 AM
well the build quality will not be as high

So your being offered a car worth approximately 26K + a little more for your TT

TBH go for it

Vectracious
8th January 2009, 09:56 AM

If it's for babies/kids - I'd get a 4 door. Wouldnt bother with the Astra.

Otherwise take it for a drive and see what you think. The turbo's have got a bit of go and you're getting a newish car + cash back.

Otherwise, I'd go for a new A4.

fung9420
8th January 2009, 10:14 AM
Thanks guys. U guys just so quick.

That's y im thinking it could be a good deal. newer car +cash back.

A4 is a good car. But i am not after a car for the kids. I still after so hot Hatch.
been thinking the new S3, but just too expensive.

Vectracious
8th January 2009, 12:53 PM
If you're after a hot hatch - and its a simple as handing over the keys to yours and getting some dosh from the other guy - get the Astra. :)

chrissn89
8th January 2009, 01:00 PM
If you're after a hot hatch - and its a simple as handing over the keys to yours and getting some dosh from the other guy - get the Astra. :)

+1, also if you find the astra needs a little more power a simple re-map will fix that.

PaulyJ
8th January 2009, 01:02 PM
I agree
Take the Astra for a test drive and see what you think.
They are selling from $25K onwards, so the decision is yours.

Wraith
8th January 2009, 01:03 PM
Currently, I m driving an Audi TT 2000 Quattro Roadster. Recently, I have got an offer for someone trading his AH turbo with 13k kms + some cash for my TT.

What u guys would think? Take it or not.

I am new to the forum. To be honest, not much knowledge with Holden/Opel.

Thanks

When I 1st read this title thread I though WTF ?? this guy will regret this decision DOH LOL even with cash on top, that's a big step down mate...fair enough you need more room in a vehicle now - have you looked at other options you could get maybe as a straight swap, all the GMH range are going cheap ATM, you could get something larger with even more space than an Astra :)

Personally I'd keep the quattro as a 2nd car, but that's just me being biased as I'm very close to pulling the trigger on an Audi TTS :)

BTW an S3 is alot cheaper than what that TT quattro would've cost you - if you purchased it new and is top of the hot hatch pile ATM ;)

9090GO
8th January 2009, 06:01 PM
this guy will regret this decision DOH LOL even with cash on top, that's a big step down mate...fair enough you need more room in a vehicle now - have you looked at other options you could get maybe as a straight swap, all the GMH range are going cheap ATM, you could get something larger with even more space than an Astra :)

Agreed with you, its a downgrade from the TT, sure you get a newer car + cash, but there are alot of deals going on ATM, shop around and make your decision then.

auzvectra
8th January 2009, 06:36 PM
simple, grab a tt coupe of the same model :), then u have ur rear seats ;).
as said, slight down grade on quality. nothing wrong with the quality of the astra, but from an audi there is a drop :).
as for go, 163kw 1.8T?? compared to 147kw astra, should be comparable.

CNBLU
8th January 2009, 11:18 PM
Dont do it. Different league, Different ball game...

fung9420
8th January 2009, 11:31 PM
When I 1st read this title thread I though WTF ?? this guy will regret this decision DOH LOL even with cash on top, that's a big step down mate...fair enough you need more room in a vehicle now - have you looked at other options you could get maybe as a straight swap, all the GMH range are going cheap ATM, you could get something larger with even more space than an Astra :)

Personally I'd keep the quattro as a 2nd car, but that's just me being biased as I'm very close to pulling the trigger on an Audi TTS :)

BTW an S3 is alot cheaper than what that TT quattro would've cost you - if you purchased it new and is top of the hot hatch pile ATM ;)

I did the same to myself too. To be honest, I wouldn't go for an older S3 using the same engine orsimilar platform as my TT. For S3, I will be looking the new one with 188kw one. old one doesn't look too good actually. For TTS, itz an awesome machine. I had been driven for a while in the dealer. But itz just way too expensive $100K on road.

I had been the Holden Dealer in Port Adel for a test drive. The car is ok for the money. It picks up pretty well. Just the interior... need to take sometime to adapt. IMO, I'd say Audi does a very good job on the interior design. It just nice, won't be something OLD. Itz better than those BMW 1 or 3 series.

Hot hatch is a good choice. Other than that, it will be something like 350GT/V35 skyline. I do always love 350z. but the same itz a 2 seater. I will keep my eyes open anyway.

fung9420
8th January 2009, 11:32 PM
I wonder how much does a Re-mapped Sri-T put out?

Thanks

CNBLU
9th January 2009, 12:24 AM
Probably around 135kw atw

Wraith
9th January 2009, 08:57 AM
I did the same to myself too. To be honest, I wouldn't go for an older S3 using the same engine orsimilar platform as my TT. For S3, I will be looking the new one with 188kw one. old one doesn't look too good actually. For TTS, itz an awesome machine. I had been driven for a while in the dealer. But itz just way too expensive $100K on road.

I had been the Holden Dealer in Port Adel for a test drive. The car is ok for the money. It picks up pretty well. Just the interior... need to take sometime to adapt. IMO, I'd say Audi does a very good job on the interior design. It just nice, won't be something OLD. Itz better than those BMW 1 or 3 series.

Hot hatch is a good choice. Other than that, it will be something like 350GT/V35 skyline. I do always love 350z. but the same itz a 2 seater. I will keep my eyes open anyway.

That's fair enough, sounds like you've done some research and checking out of the vehicles your most interested in, so good luck with it :)

Personally I like the new 1 series, but would only have the 135i and suppose in your case that too would be too pricey...

If you do get an AH Sri T let us all know how it goes, pics etc. and make sure you stay onboard here :)

Wraith
9th January 2009, 09:02 AM
simple, grab a tt coupe of the same model :), then u have ur rear seats ;).

fung9420 would already know this, but the rear seats in both the MK1 and current MK2 TT's are next to useless for practical use Auz.

You could seat small kids at best or use that space for luggage etc.

The TT coupe is essentially a 2 seater with rear seats put in just as a fill, I'd say most people with a TT don't have use for rear seats or it's a 2nd/fun car for them :)

AH Sri Turb04
9th January 2009, 12:18 PM

When I purchased the AH-T I was also in the market for either the audi tt 2000 quattro or skyline v35 - great cars.

I went with the astra because it was a newer car. Ye it's not the same standard as the abovementioned vehicles but really I had extra cash on the side and it had less km's on the dial. If you ask about engine reliability people will tell you different things because of personal experiences, reviews etc...

The AH-T albeit a 3dr hatch, it has room to fit 3 adults in the rear so a couple of kiddy seats shouldn't be a problem. I'd be worried about the leather...

auzvectra
9th January 2009, 06:13 PM
fung9420 would already know this, but the rear seats in both the MK1 and current MK2 TT's are next to useless for practical use Auz.

You could seat small kids at best or use that space for luggage etc.

The TT coupe is essentially a 2 seater with rear seats put in just as a fill, I'd say most people with a TT don't have use for rear seats or it's a 2nd/fun car for them :)

yeah, fung9420 said it wasnt for kids, so i figured it was just for storage ;).
personaly i have room issues in the front of the TT :p. not designed for people ova 6 Foot :).

Wraith
10th January 2009, 03:46 PM
personaly i have room issues in the front of the TT :p. not designed for people ova 6 Foot :).

Quite right you are !!!

I happen to be on one of my TTS test drive sessions when another bloke came into the dealership to do the same - he was about 6' 2" and complained the TTS cabin was too cramped for his liking...however absolutely perfectly sized for me :D

This other bloke ended up putting a deposit and order down for a new S5 instead, no tight cabin issues with one of those LOL, lucky bugger, wouldn't mind one of those myself, they look, go and sound awesome :)

maloo97
10th January 2009, 07:32 PM

& People with legs! :p

tomtom
10th January 2009, 08:22 PM
Quite right you are !!!
This other bloke ended up putting a deposit and order down for a new S5 instead, no tight cabin issues with one of those LOL, lucky bugger, wouldn't mind one of those myself, they look, go and sound awesome :)

http://microsites.audiusa.com/s5/media/downloads/wallpapers/S5_800x600_03.jpg

Sex.

9090GO
10th January 2009, 10:01 PM
Here is my friends Audi A5, I am soooooooooo jealous! Well, he has a rich father, anyway, here are some pics, he tinted his headlights and tail lights, looks great!

http://i38.tinypic.com/x452lw.jpg

http://i35.tinypic.com/wlspkz.jpg

http://i37.tinypic.com/r0oak9.jpg

http://i34.tinypic.com/5dj81u.jpg

http://i34.tinypic.com/xc6f08.jpg

http://i33.tinypic.com/157k5y0.jpg

http://i34.tinypic.com/24wvqjn.jpg

http://i33.tinypic.com/2je5i5s.jpg

No hijack, just show off :D

USC
11th January 2009, 12:14 AM
This car looks mad! Love it. Dont like the tint on the tail and head lamps though.

sooty
11th January 2009, 12:09 PM
looks mint, but isn't that an A5? not an S5?

Vectracious
11th January 2009, 05:38 PM
looks mint, but isn't that an A5? not an S5?

he said it was an A5... :confused:

Wraith
12th January 2009, 08:36 AM
Yeah guys, A5 through to the sportier S5 variant are absolutely sexy cars !!!

Not only that, they go, handle and drive incredibly well too and the V8 equiped variants sound awesome :)

IMHO I'd take an S5 over a 335i or even new M3 anyday, the interiors are just in another league too...

I've got pics of the new TTS fitted with the S5's wheels, aaaarrrrrrgggggghhhhh, major pants accident just thinking about it :o

What was this threads topic again ??? :D

9090GO
12th January 2009, 09:20 AM
What was this threads topic again ??? :D

No hijack, just show off :D

Apex
12th January 2009, 09:58 AM
Dont do it. Different league, Different ball game...

Wouldn’t say that. Have driven both and found my Astra a lot more responsive and it was actually faster around the track..The Audi did have better steering response but ultimately they handle quite poorly.

looking at the poor reliability of the VW/Audi 1.8-T 20v when it gets on a bit I see it as a no brainer.

The AH is a very flexible hatch, seats folded we could fit more in it than my older 3 series wagon.

Wraith
12th January 2009, 12:45 PM
Wouldn’t say that. Have driven both and found my Astra a lot more responsive and it was actually faster around the track..The Audi did have better steering response but ultimately they handle quite poorly.

looking at the poor reliability of the VW/Audi 1.8-T 20v when it gets on a bit I see it as a no brainer.

The AH is a very flexible hatch, seats folded we could fit more in it than my older 3 series wagon.

Some merrit in the above, most makes of vehicle will begin having probs as they age, but I would think fung9420 is not worried at all about track or ultimate performance here, but getting something more practical and with more space...

Anyway you look at it though IMO, comparing overall to an Audi TT roadster 4 pot or V6 even of that vintage to an AH Astra is a definite step down...up to fung9420 whether to or not to replace it, if it no longer serves a purpose and the AH does with some money left over, then fair enough :)

Vectracious
12th January 2009, 12:47 PM

Is that right? Hmmm - so there's going to be a whole lot of the awesome Golf GTi's making return visits to dealerships once they get a few km's under their belt..... what usually goes wrong with them?

MatsHolden
12th January 2009, 12:48 PM
That A5 has just been ruined by the crappy lense tint. What a shame.

MatsHolden
12th January 2009, 12:50 PM
Is that right? Hmmm - so there's going to be a whole lot of the awesome Golf GTi's making return visits to dealerships once they get a few km's under their belt..... what usually goes wrong with them?

Aren't the Golf GTi's the 2.0L Turbo though Pete?

Vectracious
12th January 2009, 12:52 PM
Aren't the Golf GTi's the 2.0L Turbo though Pete?

are they the same engine (with the 2.0 being bored out a bit) or are they a different block altogether??? I thought I heard that the two were v closely related, but then again my brain is like a sieve lately so I might be making it up. :p

Rond
12th January 2009, 01:17 PM
im pretty sure the mark 5 has the 2.0 turbo but the mark 4 used the same 1.8 turbo that the tt used - same engine as the polo gti now. all the same engine but with some different mods to them. but i could be wrong

Apex
12th January 2009, 02:37 PM

We are talking the old 1.8 wright?? Im in a European car club in which there are a few S3/TT’s and lots of Passat and Golf’s witch run a detuned version. And all of them have had some major repair costs.. The pipes and rubbers perish rather fast as do the air flow meters and other electrical components… Greatest was a full rebuild after a cam belt snap at just over 80,000km.

Why do people rate the TT/S3?? Most of the owners I have spoken too have remarked on how really average they are.

Apex
12th January 2009, 02:43 PM
Oh, this was quite bad also.. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HbjKU_4W2Z0

Sorry, Opel FTW, the Audi is just an old Mk4 Golf in drag and slow round corners…

Wraith
12th January 2009, 03:53 PM
Hmmm, I'm a member of several TT forums and whilst there are various complaints, o/a owners of the MK1 and MK2 TT's are very happy with their cars, alot have had several starting from 1's to 2's ! you say 'ALL' the owners of that European car club have had major probs ?? the TT MK1 was one of Europes best ever selling coupes, could this be because of the total numbers or is that club cursed with 'ALL' having recieved lemons ??

Cam belt going at 80,000km, are they not all similar interval at 60,000km for a change ??

Again as mentioned in one of my prior posts, I don't think fung9420 is concerned with track performance, the requirement is more practicality...

To be fair, the Audi TT range is more than just a Golf in drag, especially the quattro variants - similar engines and that's it for those !

It's an entirely different body (especially the newer MK2's) made to a different quality standards and same goes for the interior, suspention set ups etc. totally different !

Yes they cost alot more, but what exotic brand dosn't ?? you could say the same of cheaper marks that use BMW, Mercedes etc. engines and other components in their make up and vice versa for exotic brands that use cheaper brand components on their cars and charge a premium ;)

Vectracious
12th January 2009, 04:58 PM
We are talking the old 1.8 wright??

How much different is the 1.8 from the 2.0? ie like the 2.2 in the Vectra B's was a bored out version of th e2.0L - is the 2.0 VAG Turbo just a bored out 1.8?

Apex
13th January 2009, 08:06 AM
How much different is the 1.8 from the 2.0? ie like the 2.2 in the Vectra B's was a bored out version of th e2.0L - is the 2.0 VAG Turbo just a bored out 1.8?

Completely different. The 2.0 is a 16 valve with direct injection for starters.

Wraith, just because a bunch of hair dressers on a forum say a car is good doesn’t make it so, all car built on that platform are generally regarded as pretty average and far from “premium” of “superior” .

They are common as hell over here, a TT can be had for as little as ten grand.

Wraith
13th January 2009, 08:17 AM

Wraith, just because a bunch of hair dressers on a forum say a car is good doesn’t make it so, all car built on that platform are generally regarded as pretty average and far from “premium” of “superior” .

They are common as hell over here, a TT can be had for as little as ten grand.

Hmmm, same can be said for a bunch on Astra owners on an Astra forum saying Astras are good - also dosn't make it so...does it ? ;)

10k for a S/H TT ?? :eek: havn't seen any here even the oldest MK1's for that little...

Damn, I'm moving over to NZ, although I suspect a new TTS won't be any cheaper there than here - that's the babe I want :)

As for hairdressers LOL there was a poll on the UK TT forum I'm a member of as to how many of em are actually hairdressers, there were only 2 out of hundreds who polled...

The new TTS and upcoming new TT-RS have definitely shrugged the 'hairdresser' image away from the TT ;) about time too, last thing I wanted to do is change my career :D

Vectracious
13th January 2009, 08:18 AM

Cool - thanks for clearing that up :)

Apex
13th January 2009, 08:34 AM
Hmmm, same can be said for a bunch on Astra owners on an Astra forum saying Astras are good - also dosn't make it so...does it ? ;)

10k for a S/H TT ?? :eek: havn't seen any here even the oldest MK1's for that little...

Damn, I'm moving over to NZ, although I suspect a new TTS won't be any cheaper there than here - that's the babe I want :)

As for hairdressers LOL there was a poll on the UK TT forum I'm a member of as to how many of em are actually hairdressers, there were only 2 out of hundreds who polled...

The new TTS and upcoming new TT-RS have definitely shrugged the 'hairdresser' image away from the TT ;) about time too, last thing I wanted to do is change my career :D

The Body Builder that owns the gym I go to drives one so im sure they are manly in some way..

The latest generation TT is fantastic and not to be confused with the first, although they look similar they simply are completely different cars to drive. If you get an opportunity to drive a Mk4 TT do so and you’ll understand what I mean, even the humble MY01 WRX surpasses it in terms of balance and power delivery

Wraith
13th January 2009, 09:05 AM
The Body Builder that owns the gym I go to drives one so im sure they are manly in some way..

The latest generation TT is fantastic and not to be confused with the first, although they look similar they simply are completely different cars to drive. If you get an opportunity to drive a Mk4 TT do so and you’ll understand what I mean, even the humble MY01 WRX surpasses it in terms of balance and power delivery

I think you mean MK1, but can agree to some of the above - personally not a fan of the look of the MK1's, but always admired (especially when 1st released) the exceptional build quality of these vehicles, many owners who've owned both on the aforementioned forums I'm a member of have commented on this claiming the MK1 is better than the 2 in many regards to build quality...

Hopefully I will get the opportunity to drive a MK1 just for curiosity, as most here know I've already extensively test driven the new TTS and yes it's just fantastic and truly on another scale compared with alot of new cars I've recently test driven, IMHO it even outshines the BMW 135i I've also recently test driven, (2 other guys from the 1 series BMW forum have also changed to buying a TTS instead of the 135i after test driving it) no surprises to me how well it's doing in all the mag journo right ups :)

Can't wait to see what the TT-RS is going to be all about - latest info has it as a 2.5ltr 'twin charger' set up like the Golf GT, at 250kw / 450nm, rear wheel bias Haldex IV AWD and rumoured 0-100km/h in 4.0sec flat...Audi dealer I'm dealing with reckon Aust. pricing will be close to 200k :eek: good luck trying to sell em I said :)

Apex
13th January 2009, 01:06 PM
Would think it would have the 3.0l Supercharged V6 to produce a 0-100 time in 4.0. 250Kw wouldn’t have it there in that time.

And yea, MK1 sorry, MK4 is the Golf it is based upon :o

Wraith
13th January 2009, 01:24 PM
Would think it would have the 3.0l Supercharged V6 to produce a 0-100 time in 4.0. 250Kw wouldn’t have it there in that time.

And yea, MK1 sorry, MK4 is the Golf it is based upon :o

That was the predicted powerplant indeed as it makes alot of sense to use the new s/c V6 as it already exists, but all the latest info points to a new generation of the 'staggered inline or VR5' engine making a come back for Audi :)

That seems to be fairly positive, but still mixed info regarding forced induction set up, some suggest twin charger, others a single turbo, yet others insisting it'll be a twin turbo, soon we'll know, it'll be on show at the end of this month somewhere in Europe...

As for power output, 250kw from a 2.5ltr 5 pot is easy pickings these days, (probably do a 4.5 to 100km/h) if I can dig it up I'll post a report document that was posted on the UK TT forum of this new Audi 5 pot undergoing endurance testing, to which it was run to about 447kw :eek: as I recall without any problems what so ever, it is rumoured Audi plan to use variants of this powerplant for a major rally come back with a new 'quattro' model update of the famous 'quattro' rally car of the early '80's :)

Edit: just looked it up, the TT-RS will be on display at the Geneva motor show in March - all questions should be answered then :)