PDA

View Full Version : Compressed Springs

BEK-46P
7th January 2009, 08:59 PM
I was chattin' to a mate today about re-lowering my car, he reckons I should just get my King springs compressed.

I got quoted $250 to get them compressed/re-fitted.

The original plan was to buy some Sportlines, which will set me back around $650, inc. installation.

Did a search on the forums on compressed springs - apparently, it's a big no-no. Anyone got more details?

Any advice on the situation?

Nurb608
7th January 2009, 09:08 PM
I wouldn't really compress them. Sure, we all like our cars to be low but would do it properly, not worth taking the risk of them falling out from where they should be at speed. You would also have to make sure the travel in your shocks will handle what ever lowering you are doing.

BEK-46P
7th January 2009, 09:18 PM
Haha, I just learnt from more research that compressing springs isn't much better than cutting them! I think I will stick to the original plan and get some brand new Sportlines.

Now will the Sportlines wear out my factory shocks? If so, which shocks should I look into?

Nurb608
7th January 2009, 09:24 PM
Depends on how low you want to go. Not very familiar with what comes out standard on your car so someone else may have some better insight, but if it runs the short throw shocks as standard, you should be right to lower about 30 - 40 mm. If they are standard shocks and your wanting to lower you car down a fair bit, i would recomend changing them. Depends on what your budget is for this though.

poita
7th January 2009, 09:24 PM
i have konis in mine with my eibachs

Nurb608
7th January 2009, 09:26 PM
i have konis in mine with my eibachs

I'd go with this set up if you can afford it, either that or a Bilstein B12 complete setup if it's available on your car. I have the eibachs on mine, and ran Koni adjustable on one of my old cars, best shocks i've ever had.

poita
7th January 2009, 09:30 PM
yer thats wat i have, eibach -40mm sportlines
and koni djustables, teh yellow ones.
throw in a sway bar and its even better :D

tomtom
7th January 2009, 11:06 PM
From a story my mate told me about his mate's mate...(I know...);

1. guy wants to lower his car
2. guy decides to compress springs
3. guy decides to bro-tek it with clamps (Yes. Clamps)
4. guy has a badass low car...for a week
5. Clamp fails, spring expands.
6. Spring shoots through the car (may or may not be true)
7. Car is written off. No insurance (may or may not be true).

Hilarious.

BEK, what was the drop on the kings?

BEK-46P
7th January 2009, 11:08 PM
No more than 1.5", but that's nothing visually. I was hoping for a lower drop, maybe 2"-2.5".

Jerram
7th January 2009, 11:09 PM

Hilarious.

Funny, though considering the forces involved, perhaps not likely.

Nurb608
7th January 2009, 11:12 PM
If your looking at a drop like that, which is 50 - 60mm, I'd look at coilovers. I'd also research it for your model that you wont run into any problems being that low, eg tyre rub etc. Just remember, the ride will be rough, and check with your insurance, not many will let you go that much lower.

BEK-46P
7th January 2009, 11:24 PM
If your looking at a drop like that, which is 50 - 60mm, I'd look at coilovers. I'd also research it for your model that you wont run into any problems being that low, eg tyre rub etc. Just remember, the ride will be rough, and check with your insurance, not many will let you go that much lower.

I posted this pic in another thread:

http://i303.photobucket.com/albums/nn136/danielziri/BEKAFTER.jpg

This is how low I want it.

NEMO's also got the Sportlines on his SRi-T, the only issues he has is on driveways, steep intersections, etc. I think his front bar cops it the worse.

nuggz
7th January 2009, 11:27 PM

Hilarious.

not sure about the spring shooting through the car,but my mate (panel beater) has seen the damage from the clamp shooting through :rolleyes:

Nurb608
7th January 2009, 11:31 PM
Looks good at that height :D. Although, i'd still say make sure it's not done dodgy, handling and looks are one thing, reliability and safety are another. I'd love to drop mine further, but coilovers were the only safe option for dropping it under 40mm.

daiflu
8th January 2009, 02:22 PM
When I spoke to King Springs ages ago, the guy told me they can make springs to whatever height you want. They don't recommend anything more than 40mm on std shocks though.

Wraith
8th January 2009, 03:49 PM
Haha, I just learnt from more research that compressing springs isn't much better than cutting them! I think I will stick to the original plan and get some brand new Sportlines.

Now will the Sportlines wear out my factory shocks? If so, which shocks should I look into?

Good advice !!! keep away from cut or compressed springs !!!

Seriously compressing springs is only 2nd worst to cutting springs, which is down right dangerous as they can fail and sag/drop at any time !!!

Compressed springs will last a little longer than cut springs, (they too will eventually fail) but the operation and dynamics of the springs is all messed up compared to when they were originally manufactured...

I really can't understand why the above 2 methods of lowering still exist, especially considering most know these methods are simply not good...

Just set yourself a budget and get some aftermarkets you can afford, a spring/damper or shock combination is always best, however as noted above, if you want to lower only slightly (up tp 30mm) you can get away with springs only, the stock dampers will be fine, if you have to go lower and need to get both springs and dampers and the price is too high, just go for a lesser brand of springs and dampers - any will be better than cut or compressed springs ;)

Shay
8th January 2009, 04:26 PM
yeah mate that pic looks good. but at that height you may have trouble with front tyre rub. id also make sur to ask how much weight you can chuck in the back. i.e how soft the rears are.

1last thing... wondering where you got ur rims and how much?

WRAITH:
like the new avi

EVERYONE:
got ideas on lowering a veccy b 40mm.
tis so hard to find local parts on the interweb.
not a huge fan of overseas shippin costs

PaulyJ
8th January 2009, 04:37 PM
Kings super low of you want a 40mm drop

tomtom
8th January 2009, 04:42 PM
BEK ref: that pic, looks like sportline height (check Nemo's SRI T he has sportline kit).

RE: insurance, this is for NRMA only but for my own research I was told:

Contrary to popular belief, the ride height regulation doesnt just require your vehicle to be minimum 100mm (iirc) from the ground at the lowest point. Your vehicle must also not be modified to be lower than 30mm from the BASE model's height (in our case, the CD). So even if you do pass the 100mm clearance but have lowered more than 30mm, your car is still a defect and NRMA will not cover you in the event of an accident, or rather, it'd be a basis for them to NOT cover you.

Just something to think about guys. I mean if you've mangled your car to a write-off I dont know how easy it'd be for them to measure your ride height.

Once again I must stress that you need to do your own research because the information I gave just now is from memory.

:)

Shay
8th January 2009, 04:55 PM
cheers mate

Wraith
9th January 2009, 09:07 AM
WRAITH:
like the new avi

EVERYONE:
got ideas on lowering a veccy b 40mm.
tis so hard to find local parts on the interweb.
not a huge fan of overseas shippin costs

Yeah, with such a nice bootie and Audi TT written all over it, I couldn't resist adopting it as my new avatar LOL :D

As for lowering, I'm sure there a a number of local places in various states you can buy a set of Eibachs or H&R springs that'll do the job on your Vecce...

BEK-46P
11th January 2009, 11:57 PM
BEK ref: that pic, looks like sportline height (check Nemo's SRI T he has sportline kit).

RE: insurance, this is for NRMA only but for my own research I was told:

Contrary to popular belief, the ride height regulation doesnt just require your vehicle to be minimum 100mm (iirc) from the ground at the lowest point. Your vehicle must also not be modified to be lower than 30mm from the BASE model's height (in our case, the CD). So even if you do pass the 100mm clearance but have lowered more than 30mm, your car is still a defect and NRMA will not cover you in the event of an accident, or rather, it'd be a basis for them to NOT cover you.

Just something to think about guys. I mean if you've mangled your car to a write-off I dont know how easy it'd be for them to measure your ride height.

Once again I must stress that you need to do your own research because the information I gave just now is from memory.

:)

I spoke to NRMA yesterday, that info checks out.

I'm sorta gutted about the 30mm part but they mentioned to me that exceptions have and can be made. :p