PDA

View Full Version : Did you buy new/used from dealer or go via broker? Why?

SAPH
10th August 2004, 07:53 PM
Guys,

what is the point negotiating and buying from a dealer if you can go to a broker when you buy a car?

How did you buy? And why?

Thanks
SAPH

mr_astra_retired
10th August 2004, 08:02 PM
I went to the dealer cos i know the sales woman :wink: and i bought it from there becasuse of her too lol , she got me a good deal ..

Anonymous
10th August 2004, 08:32 PM
I went to the dealer cos i know the sales woman :wink: and i bought it from there becasuse of her too lol , she got me a good deal ..

*bites tongue* :roll:

i think you will find most people if not all would have bought through a dealer

gaero
10th August 2004, 08:36 PM
The Fun!!!

buying from a dealer is a game, buyer vs. sales person
both want something, so the struggle begins to find the point of agreement (not always though :bang: )

Degen-Astra
10th August 2004, 08:58 PM
I agree with Gaero. Its a Sport and Thearter all in one.

I always like how they go "Okay, were looking close to a deal I will just check with my manager" saleperson walks off chats to boss who they are tipping for the weekend in the footy and come back.

Its also better to go in at the end of the month when sales people need to reach their quota's or Performance Indicators.

gaero
10th August 2004, 10:29 PM
Performance Indicators.

When I got my astra the sales bloke, told me a time and date of when to pick the car up. Took time off etc, get there NO CAR.
Idiot forgot to tell me that it was not ready, even though I rang him the day before to confirm.
When the car did get there it had been driven across town from their holding yard (bugs etc).

Thats when the real games began, was told by the bloke when I get the customer servey put it in the bin
cause if I dont answer it I wont affect his monthly performance indicators.

Yeah right, stuff me around, I'll stuff you. :twisted:

With brokers the cars still delivered from a dealer is it not??
so you'll still have to deal with a sales person, but then its worst cause they're gettin nothing out of it.

Jass
11th August 2004, 07:28 AM
i bought mine from a dealer. Got the price down heaps too, including, cat back exhaust, lowering and turbo timer :D

mr_sikma
11th August 2004, 08:31 AM
i get a set discount from working at holdens, so they did the negotaiting etc all for me ;)

and yeah i went thru the dealer 8)

ultim8DTM5
11th August 2004, 11:15 AM
Went through a dealer although it was more like, "Got it in black? How much? That'll do!" :P

Mr T
11th August 2004, 12:14 PM
When I was selling cars I had 3 brokers working for me, they were good for me but not much good for the customer.

Yes the customer got good service (no different to what I offered)

But I paid the broker $500 per car, that was built into the price, so at the end of the day you pay more.

At the moment any dealer will offer you a good price, they are more than happy to discount because Holden are strugling at the moment.

See Mick at Muirs, tell him I sent you, he will look after you, he is a very good mate.

Alfonzo
11th August 2004, 01:48 PM
I tossed up going to a broker, but I've been dropped by a broker in the past (just stopped doing stuff for me), so I'm a little dirty when it comes to them.

Actually I originally went through www.discountnewcars.com.au for the Mitsubishi, and I ended up getting $3500 or something off the RRP that the local dealership was going to sell to me at.

This time round with the Vectra I've been window shopping for a long time, and just pounced on the dealership when I found the one I wanted. I've now decided it's much more fun to get into it yourself than make a broker do it all, and there's a lot more satisfaction when you get a good deal 8) - for example, the guy is prepared to buy my Lancer back at the same price as what my original brand new buy price was - so my modifications effectively canceled out the depreciation! Can't complain with that!