PDA

View Full Version : My new exhaust!! ... but I need some help.

Mitch
10th August 2004, 05:06 PM
Hey,

Well today I got my cannon muffler fitted and it looks great but there's hardly an increase in sound at all. Does it need time to wear in? or will I need to get a new pipe from the cat to the cannon?

Regards,
Mitch

P.S. Here's a photo

mr_astra_retired
10th August 2004, 05:10 PM
Hey Mitch looks schweet mate !!

When the carbon builds up in the muffler it will get a bit deeper !

Its up to you wether you get the pipe done from the cat or not , if you do, it will be a bit louder , but prob not overly loud .

krayzastra
10th August 2004, 05:10 PM
Hey Mitch,

The cannon muffler looks awesome on you ride.

I ain't 100% sure but to get a louder, deeper sound you'll be needing to get your exhurst done from the cat back.

Add more guys....

OzzySRi
10th August 2004, 05:37 PM
looks good. get a cat back for more sound (usually coz the middle muffler is removed or replaced). as u put on the K's the sound will mellow out n get deeper

ultim8DTM5
10th August 2004, 05:42 PM
Yep Allan is right, you won't get much sound with just a muffler

Pharkus
10th August 2004, 05:53 PM
Just a word of warning though , there are a few things to consider before you do decide to muck around with piping from the catback to the cannon zuast.

1. Make sure that you tell the guy to keep it below the maximum dB level, so you don't get in trouble with the coppers, I had mine done and it registered 97dB, 7 over the limit here in Vic. :oops:

2. Is it droning at the moment? For some exhausts, they tend to drone on the freeway and could become annoying if it is loud. :bang:

Just from experience

DoomTrooper
10th August 2004, 05:57 PM
hey i have just twin chrome tips on a 2" cat back and its pretty loud, or so i like to think, loud enough that you can feel it in your seats when your in a car park

OPC
10th August 2004, 06:12 PM
agree with em all... get the cat back if ya want more sound and if ya can afford it..
damn thats a nice muffler too... i used to have a carbon fibre one but wouldnt recomend it... it cracked :bang:

Jass
10th August 2004, 06:26 PM
Just a word of warning though , there are a few things to consider before you do decide to muck around with piping from the catback to the cannon zuast.

1. Make sure that you tell the guy to keep it below the maximum dB level, so you don't get in trouble with the coppers, I had mine done and it registered 97dB, 7 over the limit here in Vic. :oops:

2. Is it droning at the moment? For some exhausts, they tend to drone on the freeway and could become annoying if it is loud. :bang:

Just from experience

Couldnt be more right, i was done with a decibel reading of 100db with turbo back exhaust even with a silencer you will still be over i was running 90db 3 db over with the silencer fully off.

Blitzkrieg
10th August 2004, 08:25 PM
Gotta go catback mate. I doubt it will be THAT loud anyway being a 1.8L NA and all.

Believe me, you don't want to have a loud exhaust, after getting my exhaust done, i got pulled over 2 times in 3 days. Then i got it silenced and it's sweet, sounds better when redlining too.
You gotta tell them before hand, because a lot assume that all young drivers want to have a loud exhaust.

It shouldn't cost over 380$ considering you already have the muffler depending on where you go.

Good luck.

Michael

peenuthead
11th August 2004, 03:34 AM
Nice can there Mitch :wink: Had my cat-back twin exit on for about a year now,the carbons built up,and she growls like Rotty :twisted:

mr_sikma
11th August 2004, 08:39 AM
looks good mate.

i have a similar one on my sigma but with burnt titanium. also has a removeable silencer to keep cops away!

and yeah get a nice 2" from cat back or even extractors back with hi-flow cat :twisted:

ultim8DTM5
11th August 2004, 11:14 AM
Extractors won't do much, on Barina's at least. Go with the cat-back 8)

PilkyGSI
11th August 2004, 03:35 PM
got new exhaust, got photo how do i download it off camera to here.

OzzySRi
11th August 2004, 07:15 PM
i got extractors, hi-flo cat, 2" pipe n cannon on my barina sri. sounds awesome espesh above 3500 with anything more than 50% throttle. feels v.responsive n wants to rev. Goes hard... in a different way. Dunno if it made that much diff agaist the stopwatch tho.

Anonymous
11th August 2004, 09:17 PM
sound files people!

Mitch
11th August 2004, 09:21 PM
sound files people!

When I get the 2 inch next week then I'll put up some videos. :)

Blitzkrieg
11th August 2004, 10:12 PM
Getting the two inch catback ?

Sensible choice, most na cars lose power when ther piping becomes too big.

Michael

YuSuF
11th August 2004, 10:17 PM
Lets get everyone post up sounds of their zorts

freaktown
11th August 2004, 10:40 PM
i have a 2 inch cat back, and just a sports exhaust, real nice sound, but as i drive to campbelltown and back to lane cove 3 times a week i didnt want droning, which in my experiance cannons have a tendancy to do!

you really only start to hear it becoming really loud above 3000rpm!

ill get a .wav file going soon!

Mitch
12th August 2004, 04:32 PM
The 2 inch pipe goes on tomorrow, I can't wait. It's going to be db tested so it will be legal too.

OzzySRi
12th August 2004, 05:32 PM
^^ good luck with the dB test mate. very hard to keep legal n get a straight thru design on an N/A car. mine failed even before i got the extractors n cat

Mitch
14th August 2004, 04:03 PM
I got the 2 inch pipe on yesterday and it sounds sweet, I'm lovin it. It was tested at 86db at 3800rpm.

OzzySRi
14th August 2004, 05:37 PM
RPMs too low to be right. if i recall correctly for our particular engine (Z18XE) it should comply with..
92dB @ 4500rpm
tested 30cm-50cm from tailpipe
measured 45deg from tailpipe

wishbone
21st August 2004, 10:28 AM
i'm supposed to get 2 and a quarter inch pipe through mine within the next month.
anyone oppose?
2" is enough is it?

YuSuF
21st August 2004, 10:31 AM
2 and a quater is just fine

DoomTrooper
21st August 2004, 11:18 AM
i've got a 2 on mine,
i reality i figure pretty much 0 diff between 2 and a quarter and 2