PDA

View Full Version : dash light

alekstaz
3rd January 2009, 12:07 PM
ok so im back home in tasmania and my manual is in NSW....anyone got any idea if the little crazy looking light that kind of looks like an engine (using my imagination) that poped up lastnight is infact my transmission light? my car seemed to just loose alot of power and didnt want to hold gears very long. car also seemed to heat up alot.
please help as i need to drive back to NSW on monday and there are no garages open here....

kaoshunter
5th January 2009, 01:54 PM
I take it you drive and Auto, car not holding gears and going slow would mean you have a major issue and it is putting your car into Limp Mode, to protect your engine, Car heating up a lot might mean your thermostat is stuffed or is on the way out

chrissn89
5th January 2009, 03:14 PM
Nope his car would be a manual cause its a SRi-T

Shay
5th January 2009, 03:27 PM
how could a manual "not want to stay in gear long".
you sure he doesnt just have srit bumpers?

alekstaz
5th January 2009, 06:03 PM
i found out that its the emissions light. i have it booked in to Holden Moters to get checked out tomorrow morning. and yes its an sri turbo and yes its manual.

gman
5th January 2009, 06:06 PM
Pffff..that comes on all the time for no reason...

Holden will prob just reset the ECU and tell you to see if it comes on again..If it was me, I would first disconnect the battery overnight to reset the computer. Hook it up in the morning and see if the light comes on again..

THEN go see Holden to have them relieve you of you hard earned cash for no real reason...I have heard anything from $150 to $275 for a tech2 read and ecu reset....

But thats just me... ;)

RobCDX
6th January 2009, 02:12 PM
i was a concierge previously and i've driven a G SRi in auto, some old granny owned it. i was surprised by it too

Snotty
6th January 2009, 03:09 PM
i was a concierge previously and i've driven a G SRi in auto, some old granny owned it. i was surprised by it too

sri or sri-t?

RobCDX
6th January 2009, 04:41 PM
N/A SRi, had a 2.2 in it when i checked. (it was white lol if that helps)

alekstaz
6th January 2009, 04:54 PM
got it done, took it to holden they took my cash...geez they were great about it too, did a service and told me the light just come on for no reason....but they only too 550 off me.....OUCH!
but then they told me i need new rotors and pads all round....thats gonna cost me 1300...any ideas on where else cheaper to get that done..NSW/ACT?
please help, its costing me too much, i may have to sell.

poita
6th January 2009, 05:10 PM
1300 farrrrrrrrrk

shouldnt cost anymore than $500 for the parts.
pretty easy to do.

pm gslrallysport

MaccaSRI
6th January 2009, 11:14 PM
I not long ago had a problem very similar to this in my SRI. Had the same light come on driving back from Wollongong.

Turns out my drive belt snapped. Apparently the tensioner arm seized up forcing the drive belt wear excessivly then snap.
Lost power steering, alternator stopped so battery not getting charges and air con was a no go.

Parts end up costing close to $500, but the labor killed me as they claim it was a full days work. Screw going to Holden again. They even try to con me into spending over $1000 on a full set of new tyres when there is still heaps of tread left.

alekstaz
7th January 2009, 01:50 AM
like i hate to bag out holden cos everyone needs money to live but as we are all (agree or not) holden drivers on this site then we all have the same problems. they charge too much and recommend stupid things.
anyways i think my mate who works for Mercedes can get me the pads and rotors heaps cheaper so im kinda stoked....just means i now need to learn hot to hook them all up....bring on the manuals and 10 different languages on how to do it ha ha ha

gman
11th January 2009, 01:44 PM
Get pads from gslrallysport on here. I did and they are excellent!!!!

All up parts could cost a minimum of $250 and a max of $500...DBA, RDA, Repco etc can get discs for you.

GSLRALLYSPORT can help again...I hate to say "I told you so.", but I told you so!!! ;)

Holden will rip you off everytime and steal your hard earned cash for no reason...Learn to do it yourself and get parts from other sources that are either the same or better quality.

To change pads and discs is easy...10 to 15 minutes a side max...

Keep the car, give Holden service the flick....

rjastra
11th January 2009, 10:01 PM
Firstly... go somewhere else and ask them if you need new rotors and pads immediately. Dont take as gospel what a SERVICE department tells you.

And, why did you get a service just to get them to check the engine light?

alekstaz
11th January 2009, 10:25 PM
na it needed its 100,000 service anyway so got them to do that and coincidently the light came on when i was needing to book it in anyways so i got it done all at the same time.
im going to get rotors checked this week, see if i can just get them machined. definately need new pads tho, even i can tell that so yeah.

Shay
13th January 2009, 07:02 PM
are yuo in perth mate?
ill get some discount on pads if ya are.
i work at SCA

alekstaz
17th January 2009, 08:11 PM
hey man, na im not in perth, im in ACT. got the front rotors and pads done, got JAX to fit them and supply them for me and they didnt charge much at all. was great!