PDA

View Full Version : Holden, Vauxhall, Opel, GM... What's what?

mr_sikma
10th August 2004, 11:59 AM
Hey,

this probably sounds bad from a Holden employee (i just build them though)

But whats the difference between Opel and Vauxhall etc and what country are they all in?

Thanks

Dee
10th August 2004, 12:09 PM
do a google search :) google is ur friend

i think this is right...
Opel - Spain (other parts of europe)
Vauxhaul - Great Brittain
Holden - Australia (der)
GM - USA

imay
10th August 2004, 12:20 PM
GM -- Global parent company based in the USA (under its umbrella is Holden, Opel, Vauxhall, Cadillac, Chevrolet, Pontiac, Buick, Saab, Daewoo, etc., etc.)
Opel -- German arm of GM (making cars in several European countries for sale in Europe, India, Asia, Sth. Africa, Sth. America, UK, Australia)
Vauxhall -- UK arm of GM
Holden -- Aust. arm of GM (making cars in Australia and exporting all over the world under Vauxhall and Chevrolet banner)
etc., etc., etc.
And that's just part of the GM automotive arm. They probably have world domination high on their list of company business goals.

Dee
10th August 2004, 12:23 PM
yeah what imay said......

mixmelb
10th August 2004, 10:05 PM
And..... Holden & Vauxhall import Opel cars and rebadge it as Holden is Aussie and Vauxhall in UK.

Also Daewoo just join GM group....

mr_sikma
11th August 2004, 08:51 AM
thanks everyone.

especially imay :wink:

PilkyGSI
11th August 2004, 03:37 PM
opel, french i think

feng
11th August 2004, 04:34 PM
And..... Holden & Vauxhall import Opel cars and rebadge it as Holden is Aussie and Vauxhall in UK.

Also Daewoo just join GM group....

Vauxhall not only importing Opel cars, they do makes the model as well. I know Vectra CDXi is made in UK, but the 2.2L version was from Belgium.

mixmelb
11th August 2004, 10:01 PM
Well, basically Opel is from Germany, they're German Car Company.

They can assembly or make the car anywhere they want, but the original design is still from Opel, doesn't matter if they make it in Belgium or UK, and rebadge it as Vauxhall, they're still Opel.

BTW. the new Astra is already here, get ready!! :D my mate works for Holden and he saw and touch the car :shock: .

__Smudge__
12th August 2004, 07:17 AM
Fiat, Suzuki, Subaru and Isuzu are also in the GM Network :mrgreen:

__Smudge__
12th August 2004, 07:19 AM
http://www.gm.com/automotive/vehicle_shopping/country_sites/?section=Automotive&layer=AutoBrands&action=open&page=head

mr_sikma
12th August 2004, 08:09 AM
mixmelb: what part does he work in and what state?

i havent heard anything about them :roll:

lee683
14th August 2004, 12:06 AM
theres a good 5pages + in a total vauxhall on the GM family
good read

aussievectra
14th August 2004, 12:07 PM
Holden -- Aust. arm of GM (making cars in Australia and exporting all over the world under Vauxhall and Chevrolet banner)

And don't forget the Pontiac as the Monaro, Holdens biggest export deal.

imay
14th August 2004, 12:33 PM
[And don't forget the Pontiac as the Monaro, Holdens biggest export deal.

Actually, I think you'll find that the Commodore/Chevrolet Caprice exports to the Middle East and South-East Asia far, far outnumber the few Monaro/Pontiac GTOs that go to the US!

imay
14th August 2004, 12:37 PM
[And don't forget the Pontiac as the Monaro, Holdens biggest export deal.

Actually, I think you'll find that the Commodore/Chevrolet Caprice exports to the Middle East and South-East Asia far, far outnumber the few Monaro/Pontiac GTOs that go to the US!

lee683
14th August 2004, 10:01 PM
and the commodores to new zealand

GOZOFF
14th August 2004, 10:14 PM
and aren't you forgeting?? SAAB is too :wink:
all the new 9-5 have the same 2.2litre engine from the SRi just stroked to 2.3 and with a turbo thrown in :D

Hmm conversion time :wink:

duff
23rd August 2004, 07:36 AM
monaro has now reached uk as a vauxhall!!!

ultim8DTM5
23rd August 2004, 09:36 AM
Everyone says the Saab is a 2.3L Z20LET, but I seem to recall it was a Subaru in Saab guise?