PDA

View Full Version : do you know your road rules? i have proof you don't...

MK
1st January 2009, 01:51 PM
as some of you know im a very patient and reasonable person, some of you know me personally and some via this forum...

i travel through this road on a daily basis. i cannot believe how many drivers (an i swear on my life, majority P plated drivers) do know the basic road rules and signs (besides the obvious metal ones on the side of the road!) i cant believe how many dont realise, in the example below, the way to approach this kind of traffic situation and how many either disregard or are so stupid and dont indicate accordingly :(

so my question is...do you know what the yellow dotted area represents and do you know how to behave on such designed roads? eg. give way, indicating, approacing and positioning your car?

PS.
This is not a personal attack on any driver, including P plated drivers, but my personal experiance and observation.

Corsa_Rob
1st January 2009, 02:53 PM
I think its pretty straight forward mate, if i was turning left into the road i would indicate, slow down, and give way if someone was turning out and then continue turning. If i was turning out i would give way to traffic as i would at a normal t-intersection.

auzvectra
1st January 2009, 03:09 PM
yeah the road bends to the right there, and the street on the left is a new street, if you were turning into the street, even if it is strait, u need to indicate, same as pulling out of it.
just a habit for me to always use indicators, but i even use them on a road that bends like that without newhere else to go, i.e. 2 roads meeting at a 90deg ;).

MK
1st January 2009, 03:10 PM
:)

majority of drivers that i have came across at this "intersection" had no idea, twice now i was forced to slam the brakes :(

Corsa_Rob
1st January 2009, 03:13 PM
:)

majority of drivers that i have came across at this "intersection" had no idea, twice now i was forced to slam the brakes :(

I think for most people out there driving is a form of transport, for some i know its a chore, but for us, its a passion :boohoo:

MK
1st January 2009, 03:34 PM
you are completely right, however i wish some drivers realised its also a responsibility :(

9090GO
1st January 2009, 03:46 PM
We are sharing the road, safely, the state of road law (QLD) stated the turning vehicle must indicae long enough to warn others.

mek
1st January 2009, 04:13 PM
What a retarded intersection. almost as retarded as the two lanes going towards a single lane roundabout we have here.. god our roads suck.

KID_SRi
1st January 2009, 05:18 PM
I think you have to remember to not assume what you think the other driver is going to do.
Assumption is the Mother of all **** Ups.
Just be a little more Patient.

glider
1st January 2009, 05:42 PM
i think the stupidest thing I've seen so far was a stop sign, with dotted lines on the road below it (which indicate give way). this was at a shopping center tho so they're ****ed anyway

WoundWowfanAU
1st January 2009, 05:44 PM
I myself as a P Plater have lost count on how many time ppl in general do not indicate at all....... for some reason you are expected to read peoples mind on the road....... :mad:

AfterBurner
1st January 2009, 05:55 PM
ppl in general do not indicate at all....... for some reason you are expected to read peoples mind on the road....... :mad:

Quite right.

2 pet hates of mine.

1. As above

2. Idiots that pull out in front of you in a 70kph zone then slowly accelerate to 60 & stay there... makes me fume...

AzzA

MK
1st January 2009, 05:55 PM
just to clarify, the yellow dots are made by me using MS Paint, i did it to emphesise the fact that some roads have those "pavers" which indicate a give way rule.

what i also meant was that yes, lots of drivers believe its a straight road and they fly past at 50km/h, in a straight line. imagine each time i approach the corner and have to slow down to almost 10km/h because of the oncoming car (from my left) does not indicate any intention in slowing down :( :(

sadavidsriturbo
1st January 2009, 07:51 PM
When people drive in the bus lane i get so angry i beep at them LOL (sorry stupid hungry jacks ad on ATM) but yeah i must admit i know my road rules and very well as i had to re do my Ps with a instructor about 2 months ago i obey the rules but some of the bull shit they expect you to indicate for is beyond me ...

glider
1st January 2009, 07:54 PM
I'm also learning to drive a MR truck at the moment, am glad in terms of road rules nothing they told me was new to me, its actually quite surprising how much more aware you are of your surroundings up so high... even with no rear view mirror, the blind spot mirrors make you so much more aware then you are when driving a car.

ROCCO
1st January 2009, 10:49 PM
Quite right.

2 pet hates of mine.

1. As above

2. Idiots that pull out in front of you in a 70kph zone then slowly accelerate to 60 & stay there... makes me fume...

AzzA

+1...I get when i'm at speed doing 80km a dick pulls out doing less than 60 speeds up to 60 in a 80 zone then wonders why all he can see in his mirrors is a Black Astra with a pissed off wog behind the wheel...pulla!

ROCCO
1st January 2009, 10:52 PM
I'm also learning to drive a MR truck at the moment, am glad in terms of road rules nothing they told me was new to me, its actually quite surprising how much more aware you are of your surroundings up so high... even with no rear view mirror, the blind spot mirrors make you so much more aware then you are when driving a car.

I have my MR licence...still people don't know or are so stupid and think a truck can stop on a dime....or when i turn left or right and need to go out wide..I usually get tooted...WTF am i suppose to do..some people just don't deserve to have a licence.
Having a licence isn't a right its a privalige

AfterBurner
1st January 2009, 11:22 PM
Not sure how true this is, but i heard a story a few yrs back in regards to Licencing in Europe (not sure of the country, maybe Sweden or somewhere).

Apparently when you go for your licence, you must not only get your car licence but you do all classes at the same time ie. Riders, Truck, Car etc etc. Now that sounds like the go to me, as others have pointed out, you don't really know until you are in another situation.

I have only driven small trucks like 3.5 tonners etc, plus i ride a M/bike (Yammy R6), try riding around the 'Big Smoke' of Sydney for a few months & see how you fare. I've benn pretty close to kicking panels (or heads) in on a few occasions, believe me...

I think a can of worms has been opened up here. Mods better close the thread. LOL.:mad::D:confused:

AzzA

MK
2nd January 2009, 05:24 PM
Not sure how true this is, but i heard a story a few yrs back in regards to Licencing in Europe (not sure of the country, maybe Sweden or somewhere).

Apparently when you go for your licence, you must not only get your car licence but you do all classes at the same time ie. Riders, Truck, Car etc etc. Now that sounds like the go to me, as others have pointed out, you don't really know until you are in another situation.

I have only driven small trucks like 3.5 tonners etc, plus i ride a M/bike (Yammy R6), try riding around the 'Big Smoke' of Sydney for a few months & see how you fare. I've benn pretty close to kicking panels (or heads) in on a few occasions, believe me...

I think a can of worms has been opened up here. Mods better close the thread. LOL.:mad::D:confused:

AzzA

In my old country, Poland, its compulsory to enter a government training course. i believe its for 12 months, couple of classes per each month.

First is theory where EVERYONE learns the rules of the road but also First Aid, How engines work (a textbook is available on how combustion, breaking system and so on works) and basic maitenance and troubleshooting of cars (for eg, changing of a flat tyre, winter and spring car maitenance and so on)

Secondly they have practical driving where they practice on closed circuit and then "graduate" to public roads...

Polish drivers might not be the best example of correct road behaviour, but they know more and can handle difficult (unfriendly) situations more easily. and thats including women :)

http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=oRYzSZxdp9Y&feature=related

ROCCO
2nd January 2009, 10:40 PM
ahhh MK don't go there mate....us romanians aren't too bad either ;-)

MK
2nd January 2009, 11:20 PM
ahhh MK don't go there mate....us romanians aren't too bad either ;-)

did you change your username and was your user name Romanian Rambo ??? :)

Neeko
3rd January 2009, 10:58 AM
In my old country, Poland, its compulsory to enter a government training course. i believe its for 12 months, couple of classes per each month.

First is theory where EVERYONE learns the rules of the road but also First Aid, How engines work (a textbook is available on how combustion, breaking system and so on works) and basic maitenance and troubleshooting of cars (for eg, changing of a flat tyre, winter and spring car maitenance and so on)

Secondly they have practical driving where they practice on closed circuit and then "graduate" to public roads...

very similar to germany. It takes quite a while to get your license over there. Also incredibly expensive, my cousin payed over 500 euros.