PDA

View Full Version : I want your opinion on these Talon body kits!

BEK-46P
31st December 2008, 05:46 PM
After further thought, I've decided not to go for the VXR front bar (much to the delight of all you 2.2/1.8 haters :D)

Instead, I'm looking into these Talon kits which are really growing on me.

I'm tossing between the Sports, the X2 and the X2-R kits.

Here's the Sports:

http://i303.photobucket.com/albums/nn136/danielziri/holden_astra_coupe_x2_front_lrg.jpg

http://i303.photobucket.com/albums/nn136/danielziri/holden_astra_coupe_sports_rear_lrg.jpg

Here's the X2 (same front bar but different rear):

http://i303.photobucket.com/albums/nn136/danielziri/holden_astra_coupe_x2_rear_lrg.jpg

And here's the X2-R (biggest difference is the flares and grille):

http://i303.photobucket.com/albums/nn136/danielziri/holden_astra_coupe_x2r_front_lrg.jpg

http://i303.photobucket.com/albums/nn136/danielziri/holden_astra_coupe_x2r_rear_lrg.jpg

What's your opinion?

Jerram
31st December 2008, 05:51 PM
The look pretty good from behind, but I'm not sure if I'm sold on the front bar. Just seems like there's too much blank grille space.

USC
31st December 2008, 07:13 PM
I really like the last two in the pics:). They even have the wheel arches kit!! In my opinion, it looks better than the VXR.

The blank grille usually has honey comb plastic...well, if not, you can always ask for them. They are good for keeping the engine cool.

NEMO
31st December 2008, 07:49 PM
X2 would be my choice.

kabel
31st December 2008, 09:48 PM
They all look good.
The Sports kit seems the least radical, front bar looks good and the styling cues seem to come from the HSV commodores which fits in nicely.

The X2-R looks like it belongs on a track (I like the wheels and the black door handles also on that one,not sure about the twin exhaust).

I guess it all depends on what your ultimate intentions are.
The X2-R kit looks like you would need the mumbo to back the bravado !
Whack the kit on and then bolt a supercharger to your 2.2.
There was an article a few months back in Performance Tuner magazine with a rather worked 2.2 TS in the UK and all the details of where to purchase the gear from. If you are interested PM me and I will find it and scan it when I am back at work next week to e-mail to you.
Good luck and at least you will be moving towards having a more individual looking car now.

imay
1st January 2009, 10:40 AM
IF you are prepared to spend the extra $$$ on the right wheels, the right suspension set-up (i.e. lowered), either the X2 or X2-R kit looks OK in my opinion. Agree with your idea of getting something different other than a VXR look-alike.
Don't agree that it NEEDS to have the mumbo to pull it off. There's nothing wrong with a sleek looking, yet economical, cruiser.

maloo97
1st January 2009, 08:02 PM
I had a talon kit on my G.
Got it fitted by them direct at kirrawee.
All the people there are great and there product is awesome.
I recommend them to everyone!
Only thing is that there fiber glass and if u Hit something like those cement blocks in car parks or come across a bad drive way it will take a chunk out and crack, besides that if your careful you wont have any probs.

tomtom
1st January 2009, 11:34 PM
I'd go with the Sports front and then the X2 rear :) if my car was black like yours.

Unless I had some sort of black diffuser all around, I woudlnt get the X2 but since your car's black, should look subtle and shmick :D.

Good thing you didnt choose the other kit:

I saw a white CD AH parked next to me with the GTZ kit and the rest of the factory skirts. Must've wanted to say hi since you dont see many white coupes :P (lets keep it that way haha)

http://talonbodystyling.com.au/images/holden_astra_coupe_gtz_front_lrg.jpg

I already didnt like this kit and hated this one more because the paint job was terrible.

The white was off color and it was VERY VERY obvious. It was all yellow/brown and just rubbish paint - very dull and plasticy, although that kit's design looks a bit tacky for my taste anyway.

Talon may have not painted that (ref: maloo's good comments regarding talon's service and products) so yer.

Do you know whats going to happen with you fog lights? I"m sure you could bro tek it and just drill a big hole :P:P

BEK-46P
2nd January 2009, 12:02 AM
I never liked the GTZ kit much because it retains the stock chrome AH grille, which in my eyes, seems to get less attractive as time goes on.

My ultimate goal for my 2.2 is the understated stealth look. I've debadged the rear Holden badge and thinking of replacing the 2.2 Direct badge with the SRi badge (I don't know of anyone that's done that). And because the front Talon bar/grille doesn't feature any badging, I think it will further enhance the "no-identity" look of my Astra.

I do have a question regarding the Talon X2 side skirts - if I did end up getting the front/rear bars, would they "flow" with the factory side skirts or would it look silly and need to be replaced? :confused:

As for the foggies - is it possible to fit my stockies into the Talon bar?

Plus I'm not too sure about the dual tail pipes - one is obviously fake, does this make you look like a loser? :D

Shaun
2nd January 2009, 12:03 AM
X2-R Looks good. Whats the cost on a Talon Kit BTW?

BEK-46P
2nd January 2009, 04:58 PM
X2-R Looks good. Whats the cost on a Talon Kit BTW?

I dropped by their factory today and must say their customer service is just great. They quoted me $1650 + GST for the X2 front AND rear bar, SPRAYED AND FITTED. I think that's an awesome price considering it's less than what Holden wanted for the VXR front bar alone.

If anyone is interested in kits, I strongly recommend you check Talon out. I mentioned Opelaus to Alan (the owner) and he's more than happy to do wholesale prices for us.

Shay
2nd January 2009, 06:33 PM
love the x2 and R i prefer the R front looks more opel less hsv.
if theres no price diff id getr the X2-R. and it would look sick in black.
thing is that rear bar wouldnt actually look that bad with just one tip

EDIT:
soz just noticed the tips are actually cut in.
you could get a dual system :\ ?

maloo97
2nd January 2009, 06:45 PM
Bek. I also think thats a choice and good price.
Alan is a top bloke and has always been keen to give opelaus discounts.
Once order is placed depending on stock or they might make it for u with a week or so wait the kit will be on in less than 2 days. Good luck with it.

Oh and Shay at an added price it can be done!

9090GO
2nd January 2009, 07:05 PM
I like the Sports kit better, not too lousy, the other two are too street for me.

Shay
2nd January 2009, 07:08 PM
id love to see them do somethin for the veccys

BEK-46P
2nd January 2009, 07:55 PM
love the x2 and R i prefer the R front looks more opel less hsv.
if theres no price diff id getr the X2-R. and it would look sick in black.
thing is that rear bar wouldnt actually look that bad with just one tip

EDIT:
soz just noticed the tips are actually cut in.
you could get a dual system :\ ?

I also like the X2-R front bar better but it's cut so it fits flush with the flare kit, i.e. you need the X2-R flares for it to work. And since I don't have 300HP, I think the flares might be a little overkill ;) Although it would be worth asking if Talon could custom build the front bar...

I've already checked with my exhaust guy, a dual system will reduce backpressure :(

WoundWowfanAU
2nd January 2009, 08:02 PM
Awsome might have to give them a call again now I didnt mention Opelaus when I called for a quote a week ago......

Jerram
3rd January 2009, 12:15 PM
id love to see them do somethin for the veccys

well I have talon skirts and wing on mine, I think that originally their designs got used by Holden for their HBD bodykits.

Wraith
4th January 2009, 07:28 PM
Very nice, I like the X2 kit, even though the grille section looks HSV-ish :)

Only concern I'd have is to make sure that rear opening (in front of the rear wheel arch) dosn't suffer from any wind noise (whistling) which can happen from non functional openings like that...

Agree with Ian (Imay) match it all up with a nice set of wheels and lowering and your AH will look very good indeed and being obviously different, ie: not a VXR look-alike or pretender is also a very good thing :)

ASTRAY
4th January 2009, 07:36 PM
im leaning more towards the X2-R, but id like to see a full frontal of the X2-R front bar first before writing off the X2 front bar.
which ever you choose, itll look hot!

BEK-46P
4th January 2009, 09:50 PM
Very nice, I like the X2 kit, even though the grille section looks HSV-ish :)

Only concern I'd have is to make sure that rear opening (in front of the rear wheel arch) dosn't suffer from any wind noise (whistling) which can happen from non functional openings like that...

Agree with Ian (Imay) match it all up with a nice set of wheels and lowering and your AH will look very good indeed and being obviously different, ie: not a VXR look-alike or pretender is also a very good thing :)

I'm hoping the X2 bars would suit my wheels. Then again, I don't see why not. I guess because I think my Zenetti's are more "cruisey" than racey, and those bars sorta give the car a racier/sportier look.

But higher on my mod list is a new set of Eibach Sportlines (I'm really not happy with my Kings) and some tints.

Shaun
5th January 2009, 08:43 AM
I dropped by their factory today and must say their customer service is just great. They quoted me $1650 + GST for the X2 front AND rear bar, SPRAYED AND FITTED. I think that's an awesome price considering it's less than what Holden wanted for the VXR front bar alone.

If anyone is interested in kits, I strongly recommend you check Talon out. I mentioned Opelaus to Alan (the owner) and he's more than happy to do wholesale prices for us.

Thats a good price considering you were looking at paying $1500 for a VXR front bar which would have needed painting.
Out of interest what were quoted for a VXR front bar ?

Talon have a good rep and the have been round for years. Alot of dealers have been known to use Talon Kits (Suttons fit them to the GTZ Astra)

Wraith
5th January 2009, 09:31 AM
I'm hoping the X2 bars would suit my wheels. Then again, I don't see why not. I guess because I think my Zenetti's are more "cruisey" than racey, and those bars sorta give the car a racier/sportier look.

But higher on my mod list is a new set of Eibach Sportlines (I'm really not happy with my Kings) and some tints.

Sounds good...

You won't regret the investment in a set of Eibachs, everybody who has used them will vouch how good they are :)

If your going to keep the car long term, also install a set of matching lowered shocks (dampers) and it'll complete the picture perfectly :)

Shay
5th January 2009, 02:10 PM
well I have talon skirts and wing on mine, I think that originally their designs got used by Holden for their HBD bodykits.

are they just the add-ons?
im not a huge fan of those fronts. dont mind the rears.

maloo97
5th January 2009, 02:14 PM
Talon do both complete bars and add ons!

You can also mix and match with there kits!