PDA

View Full Version : Introducing myself and my Corsa SRi

Widseth
28th December 2008, 03:39 PM
Hi All,
My name is Grant and I live in Brisbane and I’ve just purchased my first ever Opel, a Silver MY04.5 Corsa Sri with 67,000km on it. The main reason for the Corsa is because I just got back from the UK and I needed a small car that was good on fuel and the Corsa was pretty much all I could fit into comfortably at this size and price range. Im 6’3”. I could get any Corsa C SRi or any face lift Corsa C because they have the extra lever to drop the seat right down on the floor, allowing me to sit comfortably. I went for the SRi in the end because I found the 1.4 under powered, but nice gearbox, I wish the SRi gearbox was as nice and the SRi has cruise control too. But I must admit I absolutely love driving this car, it is so fun. Shame they didn’t bring the Corsa D into Australia, that is a hot looking car.

I brought the car pretty much as you see it; it was a repairable write off and had been repaired (Mostly and some a bit half-arsed). The damage was to the left hand front wheel area. The Steering Rack and Lower Control Arm were pretty much all that was needed to be replaced. Some panel work on the left rear quarter panel and front lower spoiler was also done. I must admit the panel work looks like a first year apprentice in his first week has done it.

Mechanically when I got it, it just needed a good service as it hadn’t had one for over 2 years at 60k due to the “write off” and must have sat around for a while. I also needed to get rid of a “clunk” I got when I accelerated. So far I have:

Changed out the timing belt (Gates) which hadn’t been done at 60k.

Not pulleys though, Not a good idea I realised once I saw the cheap bearings they use. This also fixed the clunk as the right hand engine mount was loose which you need to remove and replace to install the timing belt. Got a fair bit of money off the car because of the clunk. I said it could cost a hell of a lot of money to fix, though I suspected the front engine mount because I thought it was stuffed, but I then found out after I bought the car that’s hows it’s meant to look! But luckily in the end it was an engine mount, just not the one I thought.

Changed the “fan” belt (Dayco)
Changed rear brake pads (Bendix)

The discs were still OK. The right hand calliper was a pain, we couldn’t get the thread to catch in the piston so we could screw it down.

Changed the spark plugs (Bosch Super Plus)
Changed the oil, fuel and air filters (Ryco)
Changed the oil, (Castrol GTX3)

I will use a Semi Syn when I do the 75k service as it will have to last 15k rather than 8k this time.

I was surprised by how much better the car ran after this, besides getting rid of the “clunk”.

I have made a few modifications too, but I’m going for reliability and originality rather than performance.

Replaced the aftermarket pod air filter (No shield, box or anything) with an original air box and filter.

This helped so much, smoothed out the engine at idle, gave me more power all the way through the rev range, and increased fuel economy slightly. I didn’t expect any of this; I just wanted originality and reliability. The pod filter was also wearing through the air conditioner refrigerant line.

Replaced the cheap Sony head unit with an original head unit.

Pretty sure this was put in for the Sub output. It was one of the crap units Sony made a few years back when for some reason the Sony units went to crap. Will admit they are a much better unit again now. The original head unit sounds much better and I can use the steering wheel controls again too. Changing the antenna plug back again was a pain though.

Removed all the cheap Sub Woofer wiring from the entire car.

I’m not planning to install another sub woofer but even if I was, I would have to replace the wiring. The RCA’s looked like they came with $50 DVD player. I also totally removed the parcel shelf because they had a set of Boss 6x9’s in it. Nothing but the best!!!!.

I’ve got a few things I still want to do on it though.

Replace the factory speakers.

Looking at using the Jaycar Response speaker with adapters from Ebay UK. Really liked the old Response speakers, but I’m a bit worried now they have changed.

Refit the side skirts.

There are clips and screws etc missing. The skirts are in good condition just they tried to refit the skirts as cheap as possible, meaning they just Silastic them on.

Replace the left hand engine mount.

The rubber is cracked; I’m going to try and get a new one through Autovaux.

Replace the anti roll bar LH drop link.

The car must have sat there for a while without a wheel and the sun has got to the rubber boots and perished them. $90 from Holden and 9 pounds from Autovaux!!!

Replace the LH CV boot.

They repaired a hole by smearing a bit of black Silastic over the hole. Good work! I have fixed it a bit better and it’s holding up but I just need the time to change it out, I have the kit ready to go.

Maybe replace the head unit again.

I want to use my IPod and those FM things suck. Will need to be able use the steering wheel controls too.

Change to DBA slotted discs when the originals wear out.
Get rid of the Nankangs when they wear out.

The bloke I brought the car off tried to tell me they are a good tyre!

Replace the Hand Brake and Gear Lever boots.

They are worn out like everyone else’s, would like to go irmscher but they are pretty expensive (106 pounds) Does anyone know a cheaper but good alternative.

Replace the Pollen filter

Why not!

Replace the handbrake handle and facia panels on the front console (Around the ventilation controls and between the display and CD player)

They have been painted metallic silver and don’t look to good anymore, if they ever did. Besides this the interior is immaculate

Replace the parcel shelf

It doesn’t look that good with 2 big holes in it.

Maybe replace the wheels with 15" wheels for a better ride.

Probably wont happen because I really like the look of these wheels.

I loved driving this car when I brought it and it’s a lot better now. Looking forward to getting it to a standard where I’m happy. My only regret is that I wasn’t the person who brought the car from auction as a repairable write off, because I would have done the repairs to a much higher level and probably would have cost me less all up too.

Looking forward to having a few discussions on OpelAus too.

Cheers

Grant

http://i464.photobucket.com/albums/rr3/widseth/Forum1.jpg

http://i464.photobucket.com/albums/rr3/widseth/Forum2.jpg

sooty
28th December 2008, 04:40 PM
Nice mate, welcome :)

chrissn89
28th December 2008, 05:21 PM
Welcome, nice little ride you have there ;)

Hopefully you come along to a few cruises.

Cheers Chris

Neeko
28th December 2008, 05:25 PM
welcome mate :) good to see another corsa member join :dance: we're lacking in numbers on here lol

immenotu
28th December 2008, 06:03 PM
Welcome to the site mate, like nicolai said its good to have another corsa owner on the site :)

Sounds like your car has had an interesting life, glad you're getting it back to its best! Will be good to see how she progresses.

They are an awesome little car to drive, i love mine :D

+1 For DBA slotted rotors, ive got slotted front and back on mine and im very happy with them.

poita
28th December 2008, 06:31 PM
tidy lookin corsa champ
welcome to the forum

WoundWowfanAU
28th December 2008, 07:08 PM
Welcome! Nice!

They are good little cars owned one of them before the Astra I have now.... :D

mr corsa
28th December 2008, 08:09 PM
welcome buddy you get my vote for intro of the year and yes the corsa members maybe lacking but we are ahead in the power stakes

Neeko
28th December 2008, 08:12 PM
welcome buddy you get my vote for intro of the year and yes the corsa members maybe lacking but we are ahead in the power stakes

u might be ahead lol we're catching up.... or not

pbk1776
28th December 2008, 10:22 PM
nice ride man welcome to the forum im a newbie too haha:dance:

btm
29th December 2008, 09:45 AM
tidy looking ride there mate, and welcome to the site and back to Oz!

9090GO
29th December 2008, 04:43 PM
Welcome to OA, your car looks hot! ^_^

Widseth
31st December 2008, 08:57 AM
Thanks, it’s good to be here. Already getting some very good info off this site. It’s great to know I clean up the headlights with plastic polish,I thought I was just going to have to live with the off colour look of the lights (Ill give Meguiars PlastX or Plexus a go. Anyone know where you can get Plexus from?) . Might try some of that Forever Black for the trim around the wheel arches too, which I didn’t know about until I joined this forum either.

Ice
31st December 2008, 09:13 AM
Well some good info about your car mate.

You wouldnt know there was anything wrong with it just looking at it. It looks pristine.

and Welcome :)

Red AH SRI T
31st December 2008, 06:11 PM
Welcome!!!

EL BURITO
1st January 2009, 05:54 PM
looks alright mate

go the DBAs and the green stuff

don't loose the 16's thou

PaulyJ
2nd January 2009, 11:43 AM
Welcome to OA
I have DBA slotted rotors and EBC greens and loving them.

corsaboyvxr
3rd January 2009, 03:55 AM
looks good lad

big fan o the corsa C sri!
:D

hazrd
3rd January 2009, 08:16 PM
Neat and tidy :D

Welcome :)

PTB
4th January 2009, 10:18 PM
Did you get my PM?

Widseth
4th January 2009, 11:37 PM
Went to the 20% off sale at supercheap and picked up a set of pink floor mats, a pink steering wheel cover and pink seat covers, i will post some pictures when my pink number plates and pink frangipani stickers for the rear window turn up.

poita
4th January 2009, 11:39 PM
i was ok with it till u said frangipani stickers

Jerram
5th January 2009, 12:11 AM
Went to the 20% off sale at supercheap and picked up a set of pink floor mats, a pink steering wheel cover and pink seat covers, i will post some pictures when my pink number plates and pink frangipani stickers for the rear window turn up.

I'm going to take the liberty of assuming that this is a joke. If not though I'm sure the lads'll give you a good ribbing if come cruising one day.

Nice thoughts on the car though. IMHO People that mod without thinking are people that've probably done a bit too much drinking....It's like "I went out one Night....I dunno what happened but the next day I noticed my car had some weird brotek smell in it but made a sik ass noise and saw my exhaust had these cool speed holes drilled into it. So I stuck with it. Then I noticed on eBay that there was sum chip that adds liek 20 bhp for liek 20 dollarz so I clikced on Buy it now..."

Widseth
5th January 2009, 09:08 AM
Na I didn’t go the pink road, but I did get some Mothers Plastic Polish and the lights came up a treat. Must admit they only had a slight smoky look, but I’ve got very bright eyes on my Corsa now. I got some Valvaline injector cleaner too, does this stuff really work?

Also I got a set of Jaycar Response 6.5” and 5.25” speakers. Might have a bit of a problem fitting the 5.25’s in the rear stock position due to their depth. I noticed the new response component speakers don’t have any crossover at all on the woofer, I thought the old ones did but I never opened up the old crossover to see if that was actually the case.

Widseth
5th January 2009, 09:21 AM
Did you get my PM?

I'm sorry PTB, but I cant PM you yet because I haven’t made enough posts, but the story sounds like the one I got about the history of this car.
My owners manual says the car was brought from Zupps Mt Gravatt to some bloke called Dyllan from Mansfield in October 2004. Can this still be the car?
Id love to get more info on this car, especially what happen to the left rear quarter panel around the tail light. I think at one stage this car had an accident with a bloke called Benjamin, because I’ve got his licence and insurance details in the back of the manual. I might just give Benjamin a call and find out what the hell he did to my car.

PTB
5th January 2009, 09:43 AM
The first of my friends to own it bought it second hand, but still relatively new - I cannot recall if he bought it from a dealer or private sale. I am not in contact with either of the Matthew's that owned it when I knew of it.

It had a set of (very nice!) 17" enkei wheels on it when I knew the car, I would say that these were on the car when it had the accident but they may not have been.

I don't know of any accident damage to the P/S rear qtr panel - but I only ever saw the car a few times.

I also can't remember any distinguishing features or marks that may be able to identify it as the thing was perfect up until the accident as far as I can remember.

Taffy
6th January 2009, 05:49 PM
Welcome!

Your car looks identical to mine...haven't seen any other silvers in Brisbane yet.

Mine was also bought from Zupps in Mt Gravatt and had a crash before I bought it...lol

Where were you in the UK?

Widseth
7th January 2009, 11:41 AM
PTB, This might not be the car now.
The car was brought from Zupps Mount Gravatt and the original owner from Mansfield had the car until 19/01/07. Then it looks like it was with the car dealer Just Nice Cars - Moorooka until sold on the 20/11/07 to some bloke from the Ipswich area. I dont know what Just Nice Cars was doing with it for that long, It was unregistered for 6 months of that! Then the car was written off 11/07/08. Im assuming this bloke from Ipswitch put the crap air filter in and cheap sound system in.

Widseth
7th January 2009, 11:56 AM
Taffy,
I was in London at Clapham junction for only about 2 months, but i was on mainland Europe before that for about 7 months just bumming around.

I didn’t realize how many Corsas there were on the road until I brought one. I guess if I brought a Bugatti Veyron, I’d probably notice them a lot more too. Then again maybe not. But I might have only seen 5 other XC Sri’s since I brought mine.

Neeko
7th January 2009, 12:15 PM
Taffy,
I was in London at Clapham junction for only about 2 months, but i was on mainland Europe before that for about 7 months just bumming around.

I didn’t realize how many Corsas there were on the road until I brought one. I guess if I brought a Bugatti Veyron, I’d probably notice them a lot more too. Then again maybe not. But I might have only seen 5 other XC Sri’s since I brought mine.

the facelift ones are very rare :(

Widseth
7th January 2009, 12:22 PM
Actually i dont think i have seen another facelift SRi on the road, just the pre facelift.

Neeko
7th January 2009, 01:53 PM
Actually i dont think i have seen another facelift SRi on the road, just the pre facelift.

i have :) and when you do your like ooh ooh facelift 05 model!!