PDA

View Full Version : Looking at a Polo gti

beep beep sri
27th December 2008, 09:46 AM
Its time for a new car and ive come accross the polo gti. Looks good, seems to have plenty of power and with a remap lots more and its a safe car. Has anyone on here owned one-someone in there family had one? What was there experience with it? I was looking at geting another barina sri but it seems theres a few problems with them and the vw from what im reading is a better car (yes ill be paying a bit extra aswell i know). Its either that or a sp23 and the sp23 has the problem with busting engin mounts and from what im hearing its an expensive problem. Please if you havent owned one or are just going on here say dont post as i wasnt actual experiences.
cheers in advance
beep beep sri

ROCCO
27th December 2008, 09:52 AM
I have close ties with Mazda...according to the techs there the problem with busting engine mounts doesn't lie with the sp23 but with the MPS model. No upgrade was done on the engine mounts of the MPS they basically used the same ones as the NA Sp23. there lies your problem.
I have driven a SP23 as my brother in law is looking at also buying one of them...very nice car if I do say so myself.
I havea 1.8 SRI Astra H and would have bught a SP23 over the astra IMHO they are that good.

beep beep sri
27th December 2008, 10:24 AM
i have read about several n/a sp23's busting mounts but i have also herd about the mps doing the same. I beleive it causes a bit of damage as the engine drops down or something to that respect and then breaks other parts aswell. For less money i can have the polo and theres only the missus and me so we realy dont need the 4 doors. I beleive with a factory re map (avalible o.s from the dealer) it boosts the gti from 110kw to 150kw and theres no waranty issues. Not bad bang for you buck. Ive driven the sp23 and it was nice but lacking in power (maybe im used to bigger cubes) I hate looking at cars its driving me nuts.

USC
27th December 2008, 11:08 AM
Dont get the SP23 - Go for the Polo Gti - seems like you have already decided in your mind:p. Never heard of the SP23 busting engine mounts though. They are nice cars and have a fair bit of go as well.

Bare in mind that the Polo is an extremely small car. I personally dont like the look of hotted up tiny cars but its personal choice. The Opel Barina looks much bigger for some reason.

Have you considered the Golf GT or the Ford Focus Zetec or the Colt Turbo or Lancer Sportsback VRX?

Greg K
27th December 2008, 11:28 AM
my fiancee has a Mazda Sp23, (and so does her mum lol). for the money, its a great car. I havent heard of any broken engine mounts in the SP23. The leather is good, the 6-speed box is fantastic and the handling is great for a stock car. the car has quite a bit of poke for a 4-potter!

also, bear in mind though that the SP23 is being fazed out next year due to the new model (SP25).

The Polo GTi, which we did test drive, is a great little car, but just felt a little cramped for us (we are not big people either).

Senor Ed
27th December 2008, 12:41 PM
I know someone with a Polo GTI. Nice small car with a fair bit of grunt.
However he had a remap done and now requires a replacement wiring loom becasue the electronics shit themselves with errors and warning lights persistantly going on.

It wouldn't start and cut out on the freeway so if you're getting one be careful of where u get the remap done.

The car has been at VW for close to 2 and a half months.

rjastra
27th December 2008, 03:49 PM
I've had a Polo Gti for 3 years. Great car and especially good after the remap (152kw/330Nm). Get it with the optional leather trim and it feels quite upmarket inside

As for the SP23... they are noisey and are bettered by another car in the Mazda range. The Mazda 6. You can get a base model Mazda 6 for the same price as a SP23. The 6 is a much much better car than the SP23. So in that regard I dont really see the value for money in the SP23.

USC
27th December 2008, 09:25 PM
Yeh, dont get the sp23...its noisy, crap and a bad drive. The Polo Gti on the other hand feels like a ferrari. Its upmarket with a lot of go like rjastra mentioned. its the best car in the world. Even a mazda 6..oh what am I saying, a BMW M3 would be crap compared to the Polo Gti. Get it!!

xplosv57
27th December 2008, 09:34 PM
its the best car in the world.

Either you're drunk or you're joking..........

Huhness
27th December 2008, 10:43 PM
I sat in one and got out of it. One of the smallest cars I have ever been in. Very drab inside. And you HAVE to get leather or you're stuck with tartan which IMHO looks like shit.

Haven't driven the SP23 but people I know who do own and drive them don't have any major complaints.

MatsHolden
27th December 2008, 11:01 PM
The Polo Gti on the other hand feels like a ferrari. Its upmarket with a lot of go like rjastra mentioned. its the best car in the world. Even a mazda 6..oh what am I saying, a BMW M3 would be crap compared to the Polo Gti. Get it!!

You're taking the piss aren't you?

Ice
27th December 2008, 11:22 PM
I guess sales speak for themselves in regards to the mazda, they are everywhere so I guess they gotta be good. The Polo is the better car but if your getting a flash get it done by the dealer.

You might also consider What USC said about the Golf, Focus or the VRX.
Great cars......A tough decision coming up for you :)

USC
27th December 2008, 11:27 PM
You're taking the piss aren't you?

yes..I was:p. had too many beers tonight..lol

beep beep sri
28th December 2008, 10:50 AM
wish i never sold the BA wagon i had but the missus said it was to big. I think the lancer is good bang for you buck but i duno the sports back-hatch whatever you wish to call it just isnt doing it for me. If i had my way id be geting an xr6 turbo but insurance quickly put that thought to rest. I guess ill go to vw test drive a the polo and the golf, and i guess maybe even subaru. did i say i REALY hate buying cars

EAK33Y
28th December 2008, 12:45 PM
Friend of mine up the road got one about 6 months ago and she loves it but her husband wants 2 sell it and but a VL (hes a bogan at heart) and she can have the EVO 9 Back

Peety117
28th December 2008, 01:07 PM
I am strongly considering a Polo GTi as well for my next car, either that or the new fiesta (provided that Ford do a ST Model)

Wraith
28th December 2008, 08:26 PM
Its time for a new car and ive come accross the polo gti. Looks good, seems to have plenty of power and with a remap lots more and its a safe car. Has anyone on here owned one-someone in there family had one? What was there experience with it? I was looking at geting another barina sri but it seems theres a few problems with them and the vw from what im reading is a better car (yes ill be paying a bit extra aswell i know). Its either that or a sp23 and the sp23 has the problem with busting engin mounts and from what im hearing its an expensive problem. Please if you havent owned one or are just going on here say dont post as i wasnt actual experiences.
cheers in advance
beep beep sri

Best thing to do here, is take the time and go check out ALL of them (your choices) and also test drive them ALL at length if possible and make your mind up from those evaluations yourself, obviously with all things considered which matter to 'YOU' !

If you ask the question, people will always throw their own personal choice at you, but it's not about that, is it ?? ;)

You should only concern yourself with other people' opinions on any potential problems a certain car might have based on actual experience or factual info, the rest of the selection process is entirely up to you, all the best with it and good luck with it all :)

EL BURITO
28th December 2008, 09:53 PM
hey mate

The Polo is a nice little car and before I brought the XR4 it was there at the top of the list with those 2 in contention for being purchased.

The reasons I did not get the GTI

Leather not being available (3 mth wait for red or white with leather)
my normal Mechanic saying he was hesitant about servicing it
and the almighty $ there was a 3k difference in price after the rate I got the ford for (i will suffer for that at resale time witch I except)

As for the 3 the interior is nice and it handles alright on the rd, as for problems we have experienced non

jim7777777
29th December 2008, 10:13 AM
I was seriously consdiering a Polo Gti. It was a toss up between that or a G Astra turbo. (both second hand) I decided on the Astra even though the Astra was a bit older than the Gti.

The Polo was already an old model (though face-lifted) when it came out here and that put me off a bit as well as the fact that the chassis struggles when you chip them. (According to reports)

That and the interior looks VERY low-rent unless you get them with leather and that was a bit of a jump in $$$.