PDA

View Full Version : Insurance

PRC33Y
21st January 2004, 08:11 PM
Hi All,
I just got of the phone from Budget Direct Insurance just querying about the cost of insurance.

They rejected my Astra as it has a Sports Exhaust system (no extractors) which to them is classed as a modification and their underwriter will not insure the vehicle. I'm 23 had no traffic offences in the past 4 years and am currently paying approx. $800 per year at GIO. Is there any insurance company that will do any better in NSW. My Astra is a 2000 TS Hatchback, HBD Bodykit - Metallic Paint - Air Con - the other option i have are a CD Player / Sports Suspension / Sports Seats / 16" Mags. Can anyone better GIO price????

Thanks in advance

Percy

mr_astra_retired
21st January 2004, 08:13 PM
i know nrma are pretty flexable ive used them for years

SmellyTofu
21st January 2004, 08:16 PM
Surprisingly NRMA covers my car considering I've had it lowered, front spoiler, alloys (though it is just an SRi one) and the usual factory crap like ABS, A/C etc etc.

ultim8DTM5
22nd January 2004, 02:01 PM
Heheh Taree! I'm posting at my house at Crowdy Head as I type, up here on leave...

$800 is pretty good for full comprehensive especially compared to Sydney.

PRC33Y
23rd January 2004, 05:29 PM
I know im probably trying to squeeze every last dollay out of the insurance company as they would make a motza each year. Especially when i haven't ever made a claim.

Anonymous
23rd January 2004, 05:46 PM
I just did the online quotey thingy on nrma

and i noticed it didn't ask about modifications....

but on the last page where it gives you the estimate, it quotes the sum insured amount "including modifications"

Does that mean my car is covered or do i have to ring up and discuss mods with them? (lowered, bodykit, exhaust, mags, stereo....etc)

Cheers
Scott

SmellyTofu
23rd January 2004, 08:57 PM
It should ask you for mods if you say there are mods.

Molky
23rd January 2004, 10:15 PM
I just did the online quotey thingy on nrma

and i noticed it didn't ask about modifications....

but on the last page where it gives you the estimate, it quotes the sum insured amount "including modifications"

Does that mean my car is covered or do i have to ring up and discuss mods with them? (lowered, bodykit, exhaust, mags, stereo....etc)

Cheers
Scott

Scott,
Seeing we have almost identical cars, I might be able shed some light on this, NRMA didnt have any problems with the HBD bodykit/wheels, window tint, or being lowered. With lowering they said 30mm max, and it didnt increase my premium. I'm guessing with your exhaust it should be the same if it meets ADR's level's with noise and emissions.

I got my premium renewal this week and it dropped $700 from last year (turned 20 last week), so im pretty happy about that, 55% no claim