PDA

View Full Version : LOUD creaking from rear

BEK-46P
25th December 2008, 10:48 PM
First of all, I'd like to wish all Opelites a Merry Christmas! And a big thank you to Santy for my brand new Navman!

So, now to the nitty gritty. I went to start my car this morning and as soon as I got in the seat, a very loud creaking noise came from the rear - brakes/axle/suspension, who knows? I should mention that my car is parked at an angle (maybe 10-30 degrees, front higher). Then I fired it up and the creak got louder! And the car actually rolled down the driveway whilst this creaking was happening. I always park it like this but this creak happens only some times.

Okay, so what is going on?

ROCCO
25th December 2008, 11:07 PM
My H does that when its on a incline...its got something to do with the rear park brake not press the pads onto the disc properly...usually to fix the prob...or to prevent it from happening I put it in gear. (just remember to take it out of gear before starting).

I told holden about this when I took it in for its 1000K look over...they said all was fine and the park break didn't need adjusting...

ASTRAY
25th December 2008, 11:16 PM
i reverse park in my driveway, arounf a 30degree incline too, front higher.
when i park i pull handbrake up, then let go of foot brake pedal, car usually creaks then. its just the park brake and whole rear assembly (shocks etc) taking the weight of the car.

when i start up in the morning my car makes a weird noise, (similar to the sound of power steering when on full lock) but my wheels are straight.
sound only lasts a few seconds, perhap 2 secs max.

anyway, i do a "hill start" then release handbrake and the creak happens again, this creak is just the car settling back into normal posture again.

dunno if any of that helps you.

BEK-46P
25th December 2008, 11:57 PM
Something else to add: my brother sometimes parks his Maloo on the incline and it's actually rolled down to the curb a few times. Re. which gear it's in whilst parked, e.g. neutral or 1st, he leaves it in 1st so this is quite baffling.

sooty
26th December 2008, 12:32 PM
Not just the creaky rear bushes on the AH :confused: try standing on the door sill and bouncing up and down and seeing if you can get it to make the same sound, will give you a good indication if it's susp or not