PDA

View Full Version : Astra remote worn out buttons problem

vcar00
23rd December 2008, 07:35 AM
I have Holden Astra with very worn out buttons on my remote.
I wanted to replace whole remote but I was quoted ridiculously high price of $190 ! for a new one.
Friend of mine who drives Vectra just bought replacement buttons from this site that sells all sorts of buttons for car remotes. He also gave me a link to e-bay if I want to bid on set of buttons for my Astra. I am not good with auctions so I will probably buy it from manufacturer site straight away, since it is only small fraction of a cost of a new one. Here is the link to e-bay for some of you that like auctions:

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/BUTTONS-for-HOLDEN-ASTRA-BARINA-ZAFIRA-VECTRA-remote_W0QQitemZ200290642276QQcmdZViewItemQQptZAU_ Car_Parts_Accessories?hash=item200290642276&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=66%3A2%7C65%3A1%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1318

Any other ideas?:confused:

Cheers

JohnBu
23rd December 2008, 10:38 AM
that's great..

bid $10 for it, if you don't get them, i'm sure the seller will list some more.

FYI $190 for a key isn't that unreasonable, toyota charge that much.

try a BMW key cost us about $400. I'm sure there are brands which are much more.

JR
23rd December 2008, 12:35 PM
they cost so much cause they gotta be programmed to work with ur car n its immobiliser.

infact $190 is cheap compared to wat other manufaturers charge.
hyundai will ask $300 plus for a new key!! :eek:

USC
23rd December 2008, 03:46 PM
Programming is the cheapest part. Does not take very long!

chrissn89
23rd December 2008, 07:11 PM
Programming is the cheapest part. Does not take very long!

I got a spare key from holden when i brought my astra. I was quoted $190 aswell i told them to stuff that, im buy a car off you guys and i want two keys. They shouldered the labour costs of cutting and programming, i payed $100 in the end. The sales rep went on saying, you got a very good deal it took the tech 3 hours from programm that for you so i hope you like it (knowing it was all bs, what tossers)

Orion_996
23rd December 2008, 07:24 PM
Yupp, the keys are ripoffs.

I got two keys when I bought my car, but the Immob battery in one of them doesn't work and so the car doesn't start. When I called Holden for a new one they asked around $460 for a new key, and they also said they needed the car for half a day to program it.

Suffice to say I still only have one key...

vectraguy01
23rd December 2008, 07:24 PM
try audi, $650 for the remote and key cut and then $100 to program to ECU and immobiliser.

vcar00
5th February 2009, 08:32 AM
Hi guys

Got my Astra buttons from e-bay!. Got bit excited when bidding on it.
Finally I can use it without using fingernails. I was bit hesitant about buying it to start with but it was all worth it. It works great and what a saving. At least $160 in my pocket ! Just couldn't believe that such a simple and cheap solution even existed. Also found out that polmex who manufactures buttons, has hips of other little buttons for other makes and models.:thumbs: Hope other people can save too.

Can't believe dealers can charge so much for remotes.:nono:

Cheers

Wraith
5th February 2009, 09:20 AM
that's great..

bid $10 for it, if you don't get them, i'm sure the seller will list some more.

FYI $190 for a key isn't that unreasonable, toyota charge that much.

try a BMW key cost us about $400. I'm sure there are brands which are much more.

Yeh, that's true, they're priced in accordance with the car brand, the more expensive the brand, the more expensive the spare parts for them...ridiculous but that's how how it is...

Still I'm with vcar00 if you can find a good alternative for alot cheaper, that's the go :)

RobCDX
5th February 2009, 02:25 PM
my mate lost his key to his MG and it cost him about $600 for a replacement

tez
5th February 2009, 03:30 PM
As you have found out, you only need to replace the broken bit. For a key, it can be either one or a combination of the buttons, remote unit, immobiliser chip or the keyblade.

I only got one key when I got my Astra, so I bought a second hand remote off Ebay, a new immobiliser transponder and keyblade. Got the blade cut, and programmed the remote and transponder with the op com module I got.

If you go to Holden, they will just sell you the full key and not just parts of it.

USC
5th February 2009, 03:44 PM
I have no idea why they charge so much for bloody stoopid keys. I mean, for $600, you can buy a laptop for god sake...which is far more complex and advanced than a bloody key with immobiliser and transponder!!

Wraith
5th February 2009, 04:42 PM
my mate lost his key to his MG and it cost him about $600 for a replacement

Far out :eek:

Suppose they think you'll pay it, otherwise you can't use the car anymore :rollyeys1: